NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:15:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 80
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 110854 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #975 on: September 02, 2021, 03:14:38 PM »

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2021/09/02/de-blasio-sees-hope-in-gubernatorial-field-as-he-faces-political-wilderness-1390641

[de Blasio], who will leave office in four months due to term limits, has begun calling allies about a prospective run for governor in the wide-open Democratic primary next June.

De Blasio phoned several labor leaders in recent days to gauge support, a union affiliate familiar with the previously unreported conversations told POLITICO.

“He’s letting the leaders know that he’s considering running for governor,” said the person, who requested anonymity to speak freely about the preliminary steps.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #976 on: September 02, 2021, 03:19:59 PM »

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2021/09/02/de-blasio-sees-hope-in-gubernatorial-field-as-he-faces-political-wilderness-1390641

[de Blasio], who will leave office in four months due to term limits, has begun calling allies about a prospective run for governor in the wide-open Democratic primary next June.

De Blasio phoned several labor leaders in recent days to gauge support, a union affiliate familiar with the previously unreported conversations told POLITICO.

“He’s letting the leaders know that he’s considering running for governor,” said the person, who requested anonymity to speak freely about the preliminary steps.

I feel confident in saying that Hochul would defeat de Blasio if he challenged her in the primary. Hochul seems to be reaching out to all factions of the Party and is building a good reputation, while de Blasio is despised by both Democrats and Republicans, and his presidential campaign was an utter failure.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #977 on: September 02, 2021, 03:40:12 PM »

I feel confident in saying that Hochul would defeat de Blasio if he challenged her in the primary. Hochul seems to be reaching out to all factions of the Party and is building a good reputation, while de Blasio is despised by both Democrats and Republicans, and his presidential campaign was an utter failure.

If he ran, which I doubt, Kathy would absolutely demolish him. He's just not popular, even in New York City.

At this point, if anyone runs against her, it would be Williams.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #978 on: September 03, 2021, 01:15:40 AM »

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #979 on: September 08, 2021, 02:13:27 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2021, 02:48:41 PM by President Johnson »

It's early, but everywhere go you, the tenor is the same: Relations between the Executive chamber and State Legislature have improved a lot. Hochul is building (or expanding) alliances, which is giving her a boost to win next years quite easily.

BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #980 on: September 08, 2021, 02:25:53 PM »

I don't know why Zeldin is giving up his house seat for this. Seems like a completely idiotic way to throw away the remainder of his political career.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #981 on: September 08, 2021, 02:46:57 PM »

I don't know why Zeldin is giving up his house seat for this. Seems like a completely idiotic way to throw away the remainder of his political career.

isn't he likely to be redistricted out anyway?
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #982 on: September 08, 2021, 03:13:49 PM »

isn't he likely to be redistricted out anyway?
Possibly. I assumed NY-01 would become the LI Republican vote sink and NY-02 would become the Democrat seat.

Since Zeldin isn't running for reelection, it will likely be the other way around now.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #983 on: September 08, 2021, 06:51:50 PM »

I'm fine with it. Beyond just being awful in the typical Republican way, he has one of the most punchable faces of any politician I have ever seen.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #984 on: September 08, 2021, 11:38:17 PM »

Agreed. Zeldin might have had a slight chance against the scandal-plagued Cuomo, but against the scandal-free Hochul, he has none whatsoever. He's headed to a ~20-pt. loss next year.

I'm fine with it. Beyond just being awful in the typical Republican way, he has one of the most punchable faces of any politician I have ever seen.

Along with Stefanik, Zeldin was one of Trump's staunchest defenders during his impeachment, and that elevated his profile with the Republican base. It also revealed the rottenness of his character. He doesn't even have a moderate voting record in the vein of other Northeastern Republicans like Katko, Fitzpatrick, and Smith.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #985 on: September 09, 2021, 08:54:30 AM »

FWIW, NY GOP starting to take out social media ads depicting a Hochul vs. de Blasio primary.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #986 on: September 09, 2021, 06:13:58 PM »

FWIW, NY GOP starting to take out social media ads depicting a Hochul vs. de Blasio primary.

Huh.

Do you figure they have inside knowledge on de Blasio’s decision to run (last I heard he was still undecided), or are they just trying to bait him into the race?

Either way, I imagine their pre-resignation hopes were for a messy Cuomo-vs-everyone primary, that bloodied him enough to squeak a victory. Would be bizarre if they’re trying to hold onto that playbook in the post-Cuomo race - which is pretty scandal free on the dem side thus far. .
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #987 on: September 10, 2021, 07:18:17 AM »

Huh.

Do you figure they have inside knowledge on de Blasio’s decision to run (last I heard he was still undecided), or are they just trying to bait him into the race?

Either way, I imagine their pre-resignation hopes were for a messy Cuomo-vs-everyone primary, that bloodied him enough to squeak a victory. Would be bizarre if they’re trying to hold onto that playbook in the post-Cuomo race - which is pretty scandal free on the dem side thus far. .

they probably realize their 10% chance at winning left with cuomo, and the only way they can resuscitate those odds are if De Blasio is the nominee/a bitterly divided primary
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #988 on: September 10, 2021, 08:33:54 AM »

Huh.

they probably realize their 10% chance at winning left with cuomo, and the only way they can resuscitate those odds are if De Blasio is the nominee/a bitterly divided primary

De Blasio has a non existent chance to win a statewide primary, whether it's 4 gov or another statewide office. Zero. Doubtful he'd even do well in NYC itsself.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #989 on: September 10, 2021, 12:24:04 PM »

Huh.

Sounds about right. There was a clear playbook for the GOP before Cuomo resigned, and all indications were he was going stick around.

Like Sir Mohamed though, I have serious doubts that it’ll work now. Even if de Blasio were to run, it’s really hard to see him making this race competitive. Unless Hochul somehow ends up scandal-ridden, it looks like she’s going ride a tide of goodwill to the nomination.

The only real thing primary opponents can hit her on is her previous conservative positions. And if “I’ve evolved my positions” is enough for statewide politicians like Gillibrand to keep winning elections, I imagine it’ll be enough for Hochul too.
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #990 on: September 10, 2021, 04:16:06 PM »

Huh.

Sounds about right. There was a clear playbook for the GOP before Cuomo resigned, and all indications were he was going stick around.

Like Sir Mohamed though, I have serious doubts that it’ll work now. Even if de Blasio were to run, it’s really hard to see him making this race competitive. Unless Hochul somehow ends up scandal-ridden, it looks like she’s going ride a tide of goodwill to the nomination.

The only real thing primary opponents can hit her on is her previous conservative positions. And if “I’ve evolved my positions” is enough for statewide politicians like Gillibrand to keep winning elections, I imagine it’ll be enough for Hochul too.

I tend to agree. Best case for republicans seems to be avoiding a total collapse.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #991 on: September 14, 2021, 01:16:42 PM »

Hochul fav is 42/17, including 32/25 among Reps

https://www.scribd.com/document/525193942/SNY0921-Crosstabs
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #992 on: September 16, 2021, 02:37:02 PM »

AG Tish James is considering running....

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/16/letitia-james-discussing-run-for-new-york-governor-after-cuomos-fall.html
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #993 on: September 16, 2021, 04:20:28 PM »

I hope she decides to not run & just run for re-election in the end. Queen Hochul is owed an open mind & a chance to lead.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #994 on: September 18, 2021, 05:55:50 PM »

Lee Zeldin has leukemia, and it is in remission

He should drop out and resign and focus on his health.

He's not going to win anyway. The only NY GOPer who could give Hochul a race is Harry Wilson......

https://nypost.com/2021/09/18/lee-zeldin-nys-likely-gop-gov-nominee-confirms-cancer-battle/

NYGOP should focus on row offices..
Duke of York

« Reply #995 on: September 18, 2021, 06:13:58 PM »

I hope she doesn't run. Hochul deserves a chance. I think the party is going to rally behind her and James will run next time around.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #996 on: September 19, 2021, 12:57:22 PM »

I wish Zeldin good health

Anyways, I’m not sure I see Letitia waiting until 2026. She’s 63 now, 64 in 2022/2023,  68/69 in 2026/2027. If she wants to run, she’s running in 2022.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #997 on: September 19, 2021, 01:24:23 PM »

Zeldin probably should step aside for his own well being, he's not going to win a November election anyway. And never was, even with Cuomo.

I'm not sure James is actually going to run. What would be her argument to replace Hochul? Ideological differences or a scandal would be compelling arguments, but otherwise, I don't see the Democrats abandon the first female chief executive. She'll certainly have Hillary Clinton and Gillibrand supporting her, and Brian Benjamin's appointment was a smart move to gain support in black community in New York. Also, Hochul outraised James even before taking office and was ahead in the most recent poll from before her swearing in.

I hope Queen Kathy can run unopposed for the Democrats.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #998 on: September 19, 2021, 02:56:41 PM »

I don't see James winning a primary. The state Dems will unite around Hochul.
Duke of York

« Reply #999 on: September 19, 2021, 03:53:03 PM »

Zeldin probably should step aside for his own well being, he's not going to win a November election anyway. And never was, even with Cuomo.

I'm not sure James is actually going to run. What would be her argument to replace Hochul? Ideological differences or a scandal would be compelling arguments, but otherwise, I don't see the Democrats abandon the first female chief executive. She'll certainly have Hillary Clinton and Gillibrand supporting her, and Brian Benjamin's appointment was a smart move to gain support in black community in New York. Also, Hochul outraised James even before taking office and was ahead in the most recent poll from before her swearing in.

I hope Queen Kathy can run unopposed for the Democrats.

Hochul won't be unopposed. If James does;t think party leaders or major donors will get behind its unlikely she runs.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies