NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:30:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 80
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 112763 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: August 18, 2021, 01:07:48 AM »

We’ll see if this newfound progressivism shakes out in her gubernatorial tenure.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #926 on: August 18, 2021, 05:20:58 AM »

It sounds like she'd be incredibly smart to bring Williams on board.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #927 on: August 18, 2021, 07:26:37 AM »

Oh hell yes let's get Jumaane on board
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #928 on: August 18, 2021, 08:54:47 AM »

Not exactly a Shermanesque statement, all it's missing is an obligatory "my focus right now is on being Public Advocate":

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #929 on: August 18, 2021, 09:59:19 AM »

Actually doubt Williams is chosen for lt. gov. One of the black lawmakers from NYC are more likely in my opinion.

I wonder whether there's actually going to be a real primary challenge for Hochul? If she maneuvers the state safely through the coming months, why would Dems replace the 1st female gov? Same actually happened with Gilibrand, who was expected to be challenged in 2010 but never actually was. Like Hochul, she was a rep from a conservative district and suddenly elevated to a position of power. The parallels are striking.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #930 on: August 18, 2021, 02:30:13 PM »

Williams also tweeted this, but I guess we just have to wait whom ultimately gets appointed. So far, her moves seem to confirm my earlier expressions she has more potential for successful governing than many expected.

Actually doubt Williams is chosen for lt. gov. One of the black lawmakers from NYC are more likely in my opinion.

I wonder whether there's actually going to be a real primary challenge for Hochul? If she maneuvers the state safely through the coming months, why would Dems replace the 1st female gov? Same actually happened with Gilibrand, who was expected to be challenged in 2010 but never actually was. Like Hochul, she was a rep from a conservative district and suddenly elevated to a position of power. The parallels are striking.

Possible she runs virtually unopposed, but I don't want to bet at it at this point. The parallels with Gillibrand are striking indeed, though I don't know, for some reason I don't like Gillibrand very much while I find Kathy Hochul very likeable.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #931 on: August 18, 2021, 02:44:50 PM »

Williams also tweeted this, but I guess we just have to wait whom ultimately gets appointed. So far, her moves seem to confirm my earlier expressions she has more potential for successful governing than many expected.

Possible she runs virtually unopposed, but I don't want to bet at it at this point. The parallels with Gillibrand are striking indeed, though I don't know, for some reason I don't like Gillibrand very much while I find Kathy Hochul very likeable.

Gilibrand strikes me as the mom who constantly complains to the PTA about peanut butter while Hochul feels like she doesn’t care if her kids smoke weed “just be smart about it”
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #932 on: August 18, 2021, 03:09:34 PM »

I think that's just undeniable at this point:

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #933 on: August 19, 2021, 06:22:47 PM »

Hochul confirmed to CNN today that her L.G. will hail from NYC proper, as opposed to just Long Island or Westchester. Granted, that doesn't really narrow down the list of names that's been out there in any way, but it's technically something.

Well, yes. Hochul is from Upstate, she has to pick a downstate (NYC) to balance the ticket.

Zeldin should pick a Upstate Latino/a conservative to balance his downstateness

Ever been to Upstate New York? Not too many conservative Latinas there. Who'd you have in mind?

No, I have not gone to Upstate New York in a while, but he could pick a white Latina conservative small businessowner, probably a Cuban or Venezuelan or Colombian who can attract Latino voters, a bloc Zeldin needs.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #934 on: August 21, 2021, 08:56:03 AM »

Hochul confirmed to CNN today that her L.G. will hail from NYC proper, as opposed to just Long Island or Westchester. Granted, that doesn't really narrow down the list of names that's been out there in any way, but it's technically something.

Well, yes. Hochul is from Upstate, she has to pick a downstate (NYC) to balance the ticket.

Ever been to Upstate New York? Not too many conservative Latinas there. Who'd you have in mind?

No, I have not gone to Upstate New York in a while, but he could pick a white Latina conservative small businessowner, probably a Cuban or Venezuelan or Colombian who can attract Latino voters, a bloc Zeldin needs.

If Nicole Malliotakis was from upstate, she'd tick a lot of boxes for him. I doubt she wants to switch from an eminently winnable House race to an almost-impossibly uphill race for Lieutenant Governor though.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #935 on: August 21, 2021, 10:17:09 AM »

If Nicole Malliotakis was from upstate, she'd tick a lot of boxes for him. I doubt she wants to switch from an eminently winnable House race to an almost-impossibly uphill race for Lieutenant Governor though.

You're all overestimating the role of the lt. gov. Hardly anyone not a political nerd even knows his or her lt. gov., let alone decide their vote based on it. If Hochul is the Dem nominee, which appears likely now, she will easily win over a GOPer. If not her, anyone who is the Dem nominee will do so, no matter who Zeldin's running mate is.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #936 on: August 21, 2021, 12:10:11 PM »

Honestly if Hochul can unite the party and govern well, she could potentially be a front runner in 2028
Duke of York

« Reply #937 on: August 21, 2021, 12:56:48 PM »

Since Cuomo's resignation takes effect at midnight on Tuesday Hochul will immediately get the first real test of her leadership skills.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #938 on: August 21, 2021, 02:15:07 PM »

Since Cuomo's resignation takes effect at midnight on Tuesday Hochul will immediately get the first real test of her leadership skills.

You mean because of the Hurricane? I heard Cuomo has just declared a state of emergency?
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #939 on: August 21, 2021, 02:27:46 PM »

Honestly if Hochul can unite the party and govern well, she could potentially be a front runner in 2028
Or a good possible VP for Kamala Harris in 2024 if Biden doesn’t run again
Duke of York

« Reply #940 on: August 21, 2021, 02:49:26 PM »

You mean because of the Hurricane? I heard Cuomo has just declared a state of emergency?
Yes
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #941 on: August 21, 2021, 06:10:13 PM »

Gilibrand strikes me as the mom who constantly complains to the PTA about peanut butter while Hochul feels like she doesn’t care if her kids smoke weed “just be smart about it”

What is this…based on? I see these kinds of comparisons of female politicians to different suburban mom archetypes of all the time and much less often for men.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #942 on: August 23, 2021, 11:26:29 AM »

Another example of Cuomo being a jerk personally: sounds like never actually trained his dog and is now looking to give it away as he leaves Albany.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #943 on: August 23, 2021, 12:08:26 PM »

Has Hochul indicated when she’ll name a replacement LG? It makes sense that she would wait until there’s officially a vacancy (ie, once she’s officially governor).

Not too bothered if it takes a week or two (better a well-vetted pick than a rushed one), but just curious if there’s a timeline yet.

Haven’t been able to find anything myself.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #944 on: August 23, 2021, 12:54:34 PM »

Has Hochul indicated when she’ll name a replacement LG? It makes sense that she would wait until there’s officially a vacancy (ie, once she’s officially governor).

Not too bothered if it takes a week or two (better a well-vetted pick than a rushed one), but just curious if there’s a timeline yet.

Haven’t been able to find anything myself.

Yes I believe she said she would wait until after she assumes the office.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #945 on: August 23, 2021, 02:18:59 PM »

Looks like Hochul has really done some hard outreach since Cuomo announced his resignation, which will be very helpful to govern and secure reelection. Including Cuomo-critics.

From a longer article an interesting passage:

How Kathy Hochul is trying to win over New York and turn the page from Andrew Cuomo

[...]

But so far, she has impressed state leaders.

"The difference between Kathy Hochul and Andrew Cuomo is night and day," said Sen. Alessandra Biaggi, D-Pelham, Westchester County, a vocal Cuomo critic who reached out to Hochul and spoke with her in recent days.

"There was a zero percent relationship with Governor Cuomo."

Cuomo’s poor relationship with the Legislature, which extended to both Democrats and Republicans, played a big role in his demise. As the Assembly moved toward impeaching him, it was clear he did not have the support among lawmakers to stave it off.

Senate Deputy Majority Leader Michael Gianaris, D-Queens, said Hochul began taking steps to engage with key lawmakers even before Cuomo resigned.

Just before Cuomo announced his plan to step down, Hochul traveled to Queens to meet with Gianaris.

“It's a low bar to say someone's going to have a better relationship with the Legislature than Andrew Cuomo because it's hard to imagine it being any worse,” Gianaris said.

“That said, Kathy Hochul has proven to be much more collaborative and has already engaged in more outreach in the last week than Andrew Cuomo had in years.”

[...]

Hochul is widely regarded as a centrist Democrat, though her positions have become increasingly progressive since she has been lieutenant governor, which is more in line with the New York City-dominated Legislature.

“That being said, the importance in the change of style cannot be overstated," Gianaris said.

“To have someone, even if they disagree with you, respect and work with you is going to be a sea change that's going to be to the benefit of all New Yorkers.”

She also hired additional staff:

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #946 on: August 23, 2021, 11:04:41 PM »

Hochul is now Governor of the Empire State.
Girlytree
Rookie
United States

« Reply #947 on: August 24, 2021, 07:03:18 AM »

So what exactly is Andrea Stewart-Cousins‘s role here? Does she remain LG for the rest of the term, or can she be replaced?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #948 on: August 24, 2021, 07:39:05 AM »

So what exactly is Andrea Stewart-Cousins‘s role here? Does she remain LG for the rest of the term, or can she be replaced?

Under the NY state constitution, she's the acting LG (as a function of her role as State Senate Majority Leader). She's made it clear she's only acting in the role, doesn't want it full time, and plans to stay in the Senate.

Hochul has indicated that she plans to pick a diverse LG from NYC, and has met with a number of state reps and senators, as well as NYC Public Advocate Jumaane Williams.

So Stewart-Cousins will be acting-LG until Hochul's pick takes office. There's no official timeline yet for an official announcement, but NYTimes sources suggest that the running is down to a shortlist at this stage.

For more, I'd recommend this NYTimes article: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/nyregion/kathy-hochul-lieutenant-governor-candidates.html
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #949 on: August 24, 2021, 08:52:48 AM »

Any word on when she’s to announce the full-on LG? Or any rumors on who it’ll be?
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies