NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:25:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 80
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 112176 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2020, 03:22:40 AM »

If Cuomo wins this - as expected - does he launch a 2024 presidential bid if Biden doesn't run for re-election?

Yeppers.
A Kamala v. Cuomo primary would be interesting.

I think it would be a three way race then, with a progressive or Berniecrat in addition. Anyway, I think Kamala would win, though I would prefer Cuomo then.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2020, 10:40:55 AM »

Scroll up, bronz, it's already been discussed.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2020, 08:13:05 PM »

Lewis County Sheriff and Republican Mike Carpinelli is IN (he announced on June 8th and Wikipedia just has it now lmao)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2020, 08:16:38 PM »

Lewis County Sheriff and Republican Mike Carpinelli is IN (he announced on June 8th lmao)

Carpinelli appeals to blue collar Italians-Irish, typical Northeastern GOP bloc.

Carpinelli, Molinaro, Astorino, Paladino, Faso appealed to the Northeastern GOP Italian bloc, although a lot of Italian-Americans are Democrats too.

Likely/Safe D.

Harry Wilson would hold Cuomo to 10 points.

But a Republican doesn't win NY until probably 2026

NY is too blue
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2020, 08:20:31 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2020, 08:27:56 PM by PresidentKanyeWest »

Lewis County Sheriff and Republican Mike Carpinelli is IN (he announced on June 8th lmao)

Carpinelli appeals to blue collar Italians-Irish, typical Northeastern GOP bloc.

Carpinelli, Molinaro, Astorino, Paladino, Faso appealed to the Northeastern GOP Italian bloc, although a lot of Italian-Americans are Democrats too.

Likely/Safe D.

Harry Wilson would hold Cuomo to 10 points.

But a Republican doesn't win NY until probably 2026

NY is too blue

Checking the Wikipedia page, looks like we have another new Republican, this time only expressing interest.

"Business Women, Dog Lover" Jenn Korszun, a Senior Sales Representative for a software company.

Republicans in this state are so bad lmao
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2020, 05:10:32 PM »

Doesn't matter , Ny is committed to killing off the rest of their senior Citizens. Cuomo 2022!
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2020, 05:22:54 PM »

I think the more interesting question in regards to Cuomo, is will he (again) face a primary challenge?

AOC could run, Jumaane Williams could run, De Blasio could run at him from the left, and so could half the New York City Council.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2020, 06:38:45 PM »

I think the more interesting question in regards to Cuomo, is will he (again) face a primary challenge?

AOC could run, Jumaane Williams could run, De Blasio could run at him from the left, and so could half the New York City Council.

None of them would win. AOC could keep it relatively close, but would still lose by 10+ points.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2020, 09:25:20 PM »

According to Axios, the Joe Biden campaign is considering Governor Cuomo for Attorney General.

https://www.axios.com/andrew-cuomo-biden-attorney-general-97fba9a0-03c5-4709-80b9-5e254c2e1e1f.html
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2020, 09:40:06 PM »

If that happens, and Hochul becomes Governor, I'd bet that either she doesn't run, or she loses the primary to someone to her left (AOC, De Blasio, possibly Souzzi)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2020, 09:51:28 PM »

Would he really give up the governorship to become Attorney General? I don't really have a grasp on what Cuomo's ultimate ambitions truly are, but it somehow seems like an odd career move given how difficult the task of the next AG is going to be (particularly because he/she is going to inevitable earn some really intense vitriol once steps are taken to repair some of the damage caused by Barr).
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2020, 10:01:36 PM »

Would he really give up the governorship to become Attorney General? I don't really have a grasp on what Cuomo's ultimate ambitions truly are, but it somehow seems like an odd career move given how difficult the task of the next AG is going to be (particularly because he/she is going to inevitable earn some really intense vitriol once steps are taken to repair some of the damage caused by Barr).

If Democrats get supermajorities in the state legislature this year, his power is much diminished. That would be a strong incentive.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2020, 10:02:25 PM »

If that happens, and Hochul becomes Governor, I'd bet that either she doesn't run, or she loses the primary to someone to her left (AOC, De Blasio, possibly Souzzi)

There would be no reason for the Democrats to not nominate Hochul.

Unfortunately, NY's Democratic party is very much a NYC affair.  NYC Democrats don't like to give a statewide nomination to a candidate who is not from NYC.  They've forced themselves to like Gillibrand, but they're not going to just allow the Governorship to go to an Upstater.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2020, 10:35:57 PM »

I forgot to put this one up!

Dem. State Sen. Alessandra Biaggi threatened to primary the Governor a couple of weeks ago.

As for the AG situation - if Cuomo just heads for Washington, it will surely shake up the NYS Democratic leadership in terms of giving them a big surprise. Hochul is a safe pick, but I'd also bet on a few progressive small officeholders running and maybe gaining traction.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2020, 10:49:07 PM »

DeBlasio winning a NY primary? Yeah not happening.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2020, 10:54:59 PM »

DeBlasio winning a NY primary? Yeah not happening.

Against Hochul? It'd be doable, if difficult. That said, a Governor's election with Hochul as the incumbent would likely draw multiple Democrats. Suozzi probably runs, Jumaane Williams already was running against Cuomo, he'd definitely run against Hochul, and if AOC's seat becomes unwinnable for her in a primary, she probably runs here instead of against Schumer, because Hochul is easier to beat.)
Lognog
United States

« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2020, 08:13:06 AM »

Assuming Biden does not run for reelection. Cuomo is running in 2024 without a doubt. The question is which puts him in a better position to do so?

Personally, I would say previous AG's have been very polarized like Holder and Barr so that could be beneficial for winning a primary but disadvantageous in the general
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2020, 09:23:22 AM »

Doubtful Cuomo becomes AG or even wants it. He wants to serve longer than his dad, and running 4 prez in 2024 if Biden doesn't would be better as sitting gov. He would have to resign as AG by early 2023 to focus on a WH run that likely won't go anywhere. Harris will be the nominee after Biden, be it 2024 or 2028.

But if he goes to DC, I think Hochul would win a primary. Dems may be excited about a woman gov (I think there was never one in NY). DeBlasio isn't winning a NY primary and AOC probably has no interest. I could see her running against Schumer if he isn't progressive enough as Majority Leader. Or she waits for him to retire.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2020, 09:28:46 AM »

I just have serious doubts that Cuomo actually wants to be AG. I think he'd rather stay Governor and use that as a platform for a possible WH run if there's an opportunity for that, though I honestly don't see that happening either.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2020, 04:16:11 PM »

OHHH YEEEEEEEAAAAAH! But unironically.

Andrew Cuomo would be a fine Attorney General (or Chief of Staff). Actually doubt Cuomo will run for president in 2024 in case Joe Biden only serves a single term. The nomination would be Kamala's. But I wouldn't count out President Biden seeking reelection if he's popular and his health permits out. I actually hope he will be two-termer should be fit to serve.

As for New York, I'd be love to see Governor Kathy Hochul. I doubt a primary challenge would be a real danger to her; always felt her relative underwhelming performance in 2018 was due to low name recognition statewide and Williams' being from New York City, raking up votes there (he got destroyed in Upstate). As governor, she wouldn't suffer from low name recognition and the Democratic base may be excited about a woman being in the top job. I'm not even sure a left-winger can win a statewide primary in New York. Williams would lose again, DeBlasio is a joke and AOC won't be interested (not even sure she's that popular outside the progressive wing). Furthermore, I think Kathy Hochul would govern to the left of Cuomo. She was more centrist while representing a red district in congress, but seems like she has moved to the left as Cuomo's No. 2. As for the general election, I could see her doing better than Cuomo even in a Biden midterm. She's a good fit for Upstate New York, where Cuomo didn't do so well in 2014 and 2018 (compared to 2010 or to Schumer/Gillibrand). In her congressional races, she did extremely well for a Democrat in deep red districts.
Duke of York

« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2020, 03:11:27 PM »

Hochul would definitely run. I don't see De Blasio winning a statewide primary. Hes not popular. I dont think AOC has any interest in being governor. Suozzi isn't to Hochul's left but I could see him running. Tish James could possibly primary Hochul.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2020, 03:16:13 PM »

Hochul would definitely run. I don't see De Blasio winning a statewide primary. Hes not popular. I dont think AOC has any interest in being governor. Suozzi isn't to Hochul's left but I could see him running. Tish James could possibly primary Hochul.

Doubt James would do this. They're from the same lane within the party. She's running for her current position again. Otherwise, I fully agree.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #97 on: October 14, 2020, 03:20:47 PM »

If Cuomo wins this - as expected - does he launch a 2024 presidential bid if Biden doesn't run for re-election?

Yeppers.
A Kamala v. Cuomo primary would be interesting.

It'd be very strange to see me become a full-fledged Kamala hack in 4 years.

Between the lack of a left-wing challenger I can trust and AOC's fopo, it's looking increasingly likely.
Duke of York

« Reply #98 on: October 14, 2020, 03:25:02 PM »

Doubt James would do this. They're from the same lane within the party. She's running for her current position again. Otherwise, I fully agree.
What makes you think James wouldn't run?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2020, 03:47:24 PM »

What makes you think James wouldn't run?

I just don't see her running against an incumbent from the same lane of her party. I could see her running for governor once an incumbent isn't seeking the Democratic nomination. Challenging an incumbent usually requires you to have a major disagreement with him/her or a message why exactly you're the better choice. It's like Cuomo challenging Joe Biden in 2024 in case he runs for reelection. The challenges Cuomo got in 2014 and 2018 were from the progressive wing, and if there is going to be one in 2022 against Cuomo and/or Hochul, it will be a left-winger (who will likely lose again). James, who's doing a great job as attorney general, is from the establishment and Cuomo/Hochul/James literally ran as a "ticket" in the 2018 primaries. Maybe I'm getting this wrong here, but I don't see James challenging an incumbent governor from her party's wing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies