NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:17:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 80
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 112517 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: May 18, 2021, 05:20:27 PM »

The NY GOP choking away winnable races like usual.

Why doesn't New York Yankees president Randy Levine run? He could be electable....
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #651 on: May 18, 2021, 09:13:36 PM »

NY would stick with Cuomo than put corrupted Guiliani in office, but Cuomo is gonna get primaried
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #652 on: May 28, 2021, 09:50:23 PM »

Marc Molinaro will not run, endorses Zeldin, alludes to a congressional campaign.

https://www.dailyfreeman.com/news/elections/marc-molinaro-not-running-for-governor-endorses-lee-zeldin-leaves-open-chance-at-congress/article_67ebecd8-bd73-11eb-a5ea-93630f1148e7.html
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #653 on: May 29, 2021, 10:33:12 PM »

Lee Zeldin randomly goes full voter suppressionist, demands mandatory Voter ID.

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #654 on: May 30, 2021, 07:16:48 AM »

Even with Cuomo's scandals, Zeldin has no chance, and going to the right on issues like this isn't going to help him win over moderate and independent voters. He'll be lucky if he manages to lose by "only" 10%, rather than the 20-25% margins Republicans typically lose by in New York.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #655 on: May 30, 2021, 11:29:26 PM »

You should tell that to black people in Harlem. They're not listening to white liberals at Berkley or liberal hosts like Rachel Maddow or Joy Reid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBxZGWCdgs

You should also tell the majority of Democrats that an ID requirement is supressing their vote, because they're not convinced either.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #656 on: June 02, 2021, 09:45:45 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2021, 09:54:47 AM by Sir Mohamed »

Lol, Blue Trump ain't going anywhere:

NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #657 on: June 02, 2021, 04:36:19 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2021, 04:41:59 PM by MAGugh »

- No word yet from the Green, Libertarian, and SAM parties.

- Still no true Cuomo primary opponent.

- Carpinelli, Gibson, and Astorino still quiet since announcing. Giuliani touring the State and eating a lot of food, not making much progress.

- Carl Paladino, Mike Pompeo, Chris Jacobs, John Katko, and Nicole Malliotakis all endorse Zeldin.

GOP primary looking like sure-thing Zeldin vs. what I imagine will be a holdout Giuliani. Only going to get harder for Astorino the more his campaign does nothing.

Giuliani's lack of any notable GOP support speaks to me that some in the NY GOP see the writing on the wall in terms of the NY AG and Trump admin. prosecutions. Something to consider for '24.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #658 on: June 02, 2021, 11:12:25 PM »

You should tell that to black people in Harlem. They're not listening to white liberals at Berkley or liberal hosts like Rachel Maddow or Joy Reid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBxZGWCdgs

You should also tell the majority of Democrats that an ID requirement is supressing their vote, because they're not convinced either.

Hi, I'm a professional research scientist. When you explain to these people what you mean by a voter ID and that people have to show ID when getting registered virtually everywhere, they oppose the draconian measures that you claim they support because they answered yes to a question they didn't fully understand. This is why opinion polls on complex issues like this are not only meaningless, but ultimately very bad for our society because: a. they misrepresent people that are uninformed and ambivalent toward an issue as supportive and b. they act for cover for the insane argument that just because something can be construed as popular it must be morally good.

Just to be clear, voter IDs are objectively redundant because, again, you already have to show an ID when you register. Voter IDs are economic wasteful, spending taxpayer dollars on an unnecessary measure. They also obviously target certain demographics, which is their only real effect. Voter fraud is a made up problem that is mostly committed by Republicans anyway, and it is at this point just anti-democratic (small d), fascist propaganda to assert otherwise. Our democracy is in trouble and they are   symbol of the fascist regime people would replace it with. Most marginalized people, by the way, are smart enough to realize that this is the regime Lee Zeldin would enact.

Republicans are no friends to the people of Harlem because they are 100% committed to keeping Black people from voting. Why else would they target Sunday voting hours? Or indeed pass voter ID laws that would disproportionately affect African Americans? It's just an insult to everybody here's intelligence at this point to suggest that Harlemites, dealing with racism and violence and economic marginalization all the time, who vote for Democrats in droves because they know that the other party actively wants to oppress them, are going to be sympathetic to some fascist voter ID law.

You'll see when Zeldin loses by double digits, even against Cuomo. No Republican is winning in New York precisely because the GOP is dead in NYC and dead in Westchester and dead in the city of Buffalo and dead anywhere where people think critically, e.g. Ithaca, Syracuse, parts of Long Island.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #659 on: June 03, 2021, 02:07:28 AM »

Grifts don't work unless you go all in.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #660 on: June 10, 2021, 06:48:21 PM »

Zeldin, sliding further to the right, unprovokingly attacks Minnesota Rep. Ilhan Omar, calling for her to pay a "...massive political price" for ..."spewing anti-American propaganda". (Zeldin FB page)

I know of 0 context for this.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #661 on: June 10, 2021, 06:51:46 PM »

I had no idea that Astorino still had gubernatorial ambitions after getting walloped out of office in his ill-advised attempt at a third term as county executive. Where does he get off comparing himself to George Pataki?

Overwhelming majority of NYGOP suffers from electoral schizophrenia.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #662 on: June 10, 2021, 07:36:31 PM »

Zeldin, sliding further to the right, unprovokingly attacks Minnesota Rep. Ilhan Omar, calling for her to pay a "...massive political price" for ..."spewing anti-American propaganda". (Zeldin FB page)

I know of 0 context for this.

Holding another country accountable for committing war crimes is anti-American now.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #663 on: June 11, 2021, 09:35:46 AM »

Calling mandatory voter ID "full supprecionist" when 90% of Americans support it and almost every democracy in Europe mandates it is an absurd statement.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #664 on: June 11, 2021, 05:24:37 PM »

Calling mandatory voter ID "full supprecionist" when 90% of Americans support it and almost every democracy in Europe mandates it is an absurd statement.

I have a question -does any Republican-controlled state that has mandatory voter ID requirements have provisions enabling citizens (especially those who are racial/ethnic minorities) to get the required voter ID for free?  If not, then it is tantamount to a poll tax. 
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #665 on: June 11, 2021, 05:38:49 PM »

But I thought Republicans were aghast at New York laws already being too strict! It was all just concern trolling!? Impossible!
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #666 on: June 12, 2021, 09:35:09 AM »

I have a question -does any Republican-controlled state that has mandatory voter ID requirements have provisions enabling citizens (especially those who are racial/ethnic minorities) to get the required voter ID for free?  If not, then it is tantamount to a poll tax. 

Why do you think minorities walk around without an ID? You need one to drive, rent a house, apply for a job, get on a plane, open a bank account, check in to a hotel room, etc. You need one to get into a club and to drink alcohol when you look young. It is bigotry of low expectations to assume minorities do not use an ID regularly.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #667 on: June 12, 2021, 02:30:26 PM »

I have a question -does any Republican-controlled state that has mandatory voter ID requirements have provisions enabling citizens (especially those who are racial/ethnic minorities) to get the required voter ID for free?  If not, then it is tantamount to a poll tax.  

Why do you think minorities walk around without an ID? You need one to drive, rent a house, apply for a job, get on a plane, open a bank account, check in to a hotel room, etc. You need one to get into a club and to drink alcohol when you look young. It is bigotry of low expectations to assume minorities do not use an ID regularly.

I see this argument frequently, and it's completely meaningless because we have actual data about what groups of voters are more and less likely to own IDs that they can use to satisfy voter ID requirements. It is an objective reality that Black and Hispanic voters are less likely than white voters to have such an ID.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #668 on: June 12, 2021, 02:47:07 PM »

I have a question -does any Republican-controlled state that has mandatory voter ID requirements have provisions enabling citizens (especially those who are racial/ethnic minorities) to get the required voter ID for free?  If not, then it is tantamount to a poll tax.  

I see this argument frequently, and it's completely meaningless because we have actual data about what groups of voters are more and less likely to own IDs that they can use to satisfy voter ID requirements. It is an objective reality that Black and Hispanic voters are less likely than white voters to have such an ID.

Recommend this. Voter ID laws have not been reliably found to have an impact on minority turnout.

https://stanford.edu/~jgrimmer/comment_final.pdf
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #669 on: June 12, 2021, 02:56:18 PM »

Recommend this. Voter ID laws have not been reliably found to have an impact on minority turnout.

https://stanford.edu/~jgrimmer/comment_final.pdf

I didn’t say anything about how turnout is necessarily impacted, because although there are various studies that come to different conclusions than the one you cited, I agree that there isn’t definitive evidence at this point that voter ID has a statistically significant impact on POC voters specifically; the data is cloudy. All I did say is that it’s silly to try and act like it’s bigoted to state that Black and Hispanic voters are less likely to have valid IDs when that is very plainly the truth.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #670 on: June 13, 2021, 09:01:14 AM »

I'm surprised no halfway credible challenger to Blue Trump has declared a candidacy as of yet? Perhaps it's too early or they're just waiting out whether he'll still get forced out through impeachment or pressure not to run again?

That said, I still think Cuomo will be in office beyond Dec. 31, 2022, unless the investigations conclude with bombshells before the primary election is being held (yup, this will be the election, no GOPer has a chance). It's sad the dude may get away with everything, let alone we Dems not living up to our own standards.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #671 on: June 13, 2021, 09:08:53 PM »

Rudy Giuliani and Greg Kelly (Newsmax Host) have endorsed Andrew Giuliani, while Assemblyman Christopher Tague and Rep. Andrew Garbarino have endorsed Lee Zeldin.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #672 on: June 14, 2021, 02:25:20 PM »

I'm surprised no halfway credible challenger to Blue Trump has declared a candidacy as of yet? Perhaps it's too early or they're just waiting out whether he'll still get forced out through impeachment or pressure not to run again?

That said, I still think Cuomo will be in office beyond Dec. 31, 2022, unless the investigations conclude with bombshells before the primary election is being held (yup, this will be the election, no GOPer has a chance). It's sad the dude may get away with everything, let alone we Dems not living up to our own standards.

It's still early and back in 2018, Cynthia Nixon didn't declare her candidacy until well into the election year. New York holds its statewide primary not until September.

Anyway, let's hope Cuomo is out sooner rather than later.
Karenthecomputer
Rookie
United States

« Reply #673 on: June 26, 2021, 05:10:31 AM »

Zeldin won’t win, but against Cuomo he only loses by 10.

Also, I think the Working Families Party will run their own candidate against Cuomo in the general. Or at least refuse to support him on their ballot line.
Duke of York

« Reply #674 on: June 26, 2021, 09:41:05 AM »

It's still early and back in 2018, Cynthia Nixon didn't declare her candidacy until well into the election year. New York holds its statewide primary not until September.

Anyway, let's hope Cuomo is out sooner rather than later.

All primaires are now held in June in New York. The separate state primaries were done away with in 2019.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies