NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:43:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 80
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 111830 times)
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: March 12, 2021, 06:45:47 PM »

Don't act so shocked, it's typical Cuomo
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #476 on: March 12, 2021, 07:08:08 PM »

Well, he’s clearly not going without a fight. Let’s get this over with.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #477 on: March 12, 2021, 07:15:37 PM »

Assuming Cuomo was impeached instead of resigning, what would be the impeachable offence against him?

From a quick look at the allegations, I am not sure if the allegations of sexual harrassment qualify as a crime? (as opposed to say, rape, which is 100% a crime). I have no idea where the line gets drawn for sexual harrassment in legal terms, it could also be that sexual harrassment simply doesn't get prosecuted enough or that I am wrongly understanding the accusations, but being a creep is not illegal? The covid scandal could be the one though.

He definitely should resign though
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #478 on: March 12, 2021, 07:29:55 PM »

Cuomo isn't going anywhere......

DiNapoli and Suozzi would be better though, both are Italian American Catholic moderates who would win Suffolk and Nassau
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #479 on: March 12, 2021, 07:51:19 PM »

Cuomo isn't going anywhere......

DiNapoli and Suozzi would be better though, both are Italian American Catholic moderates who would win Suffolk and Nassau
I think he will be impeached. Yay will get all republicans and most democrats.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #480 on: March 12, 2021, 08:15:01 PM »

Assuming Cuomo was impeached instead of resigning, what would be the impeachable offence against him?

From a quick look at the allegations, I am not sure if the allegations of sexual harrassment qualify as a crime? (as opposed to say, rape, which is 100% a crime). I have no idea where the line gets drawn for sexual harrassment in legal terms, it could also be that sexual harrassment simply doesn't get prosecuted enough or that I am wrongly understanding the accusations, but being a creep is not illegal? The covid scandal could be the one though.

I would assume abuse of power, given that he used his power as governor to pressure these women, but the actual charge is really irrelevant. If Democrats want Cuomo gone, it doesn't matter what they impeach him with, he's gone.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #481 on: March 12, 2021, 08:21:34 PM »

Abuse of power and obstruction of justice, both regarding the coverup of the nursing home situation.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #482 on: March 12, 2021, 08:55:07 PM »

Abuse of power for using his position to prey on women, not to mention the fact he cooked the books  about covid cases and threatened and intimidated legislators to keep quiet on it.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #483 on: March 12, 2021, 09:14:36 PM »

Abuse of power and obstruction of justice, both regarding the coverup of the nursing home situation.

Yeah lol. Truly insane to me that people keep forgetting that this is arguably a way larger abuse of authority than the gropes, although they both come from the same worldview
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #484 on: March 12, 2021, 09:38:51 PM »

I prefer that Governor Cuomo be impeached and convicted instead of being made to resign for this one reason -to show Republicans that Democrats have more integrity than they do.  We have the courage to punish our own leaders when Republicans (except for the brave few) failed twice to join them even when they privately agreed that the evidence for impeaching and convicting President Trump both times was overwhelming. 
IAMCANADIAN
Rookie

« Reply #485 on: March 12, 2021, 09:52:08 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2021, 10:12:51 PM by IAMCANADIAN »

I am really wondering what the political strategy is for the Democrats. Who is the establishment's preferred Governor?
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #486 on: March 12, 2021, 10:08:32 PM »

I am really wondering what the political strategy is for the Democrats. Who is the establishmen's preferred Governor?

Hochul for sure. Or maybe Tish James.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #487 on: March 12, 2021, 10:18:52 PM »

How does Cuomo survive the impeachment trial in the senate?
Babeuf

« Reply #488 on: March 12, 2021, 10:24:32 PM »

He doesn't. Only way out is to resign before conviction.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #489 on: March 12, 2021, 10:29:29 PM »

Yeah lol. Truly insane to me that people keep forgetting that this is arguably a way larger abuse of authority than the gropes, although they both come from the same worldview

The obvious explanation is that the nursing home scandal was being brought up by Republicans for months in advance and also tarnishes several other (mostly Democratic) governors that were held up as models for other states to follow, whereas the sexual harassment accusations are fresh and only tarnish Cuomo himself. If you only look at the latter then elected Democrats can pretend to somehow be more principled than Republicans in punishing their own. Case in point

I prefer that Governor Cuomo be impeached and convicted instead of being made to resign for this one reason -to show Republicans that Democrats have more integrity than they do.  We have the courage to punish our own leaders when Republicans (except for the brave few) failed twice to join them even when they privately agreed that the evidence for impeaching and convicting President Trump both times was overwhelming.  

Right, Democrats have so much integrity that they'll probably punish their own, as long as those punished are politically weak and easily replaced by other Democrats. Otherwise they'll just stop talking about it, as was the case with Virginia's Gov. Blackface Klansman and his partner in crime, Lt. Gov Serial Rapist.

Who do you think this is fooling?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #490 on: March 12, 2021, 11:08:38 PM »

The obvious explanation is that the nursing home scandal was being brought up by Republicans for months in advance and also tarnishes several other (mostly Democratic) governors that were held up as models for other states to follow, whereas the sexual harassment accusations are fresh and only tarnish Cuomo himself. If you only look at the latter then elected Democrats can pretend to somehow be more principled than Republicans in punishing their own. Case in point

I prefer that Governor Cuomo be impeached and convicted instead of being made to resign for this one reason -to show Republicans that Democrats have more integrity than they do.  We have the courage to punish our own leaders when Republicans (except for the brave few) failed twice to join them even when they privately agreed that the evidence for impeaching and convicting President Trump both times was overwhelming.  

Right, Democrats have so much integrity that they'll probably punish their own, as long as those punished are politically weak and easily replaced by other Democrats. Otherwise they'll just stop talking about it, as was the case with Virginia's Gov. Blackface Klansman and his partner in crime, Lt. Gov Serial Rapist.

The bar is set low, for sure, and yet my point still stands.  When is the last time the Republican Party impeached one of their own? And I don't just mean a few senators or congressmen, but the bulk of their elected representatives banding together to oust a President or governor belonging to the same party.   And President Andrew Johnson doesn't count.  
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #491 on: March 13, 2021, 09:12:25 AM »

I am really wondering what the political strategy is for the Democrats. Who is the establishmen's preferred Governor?

It’s Tish James, Hochul would need to face multiple credible NYC Dems to have a shot at being anything more than a lame duck caretaker.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #492 on: March 13, 2021, 10:47:45 AM »

Endorsed if Cuomo wins the nomination.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #493 on: March 13, 2021, 10:56:29 AM »

Georgia suburban moderates. Smiley

The bar is set low, for sure, and yet my point still stands.  When is the last time the Republican Party impeached one of their own? And I don't just mean a few senators or congressmen, but the bulk of their elected representatives banding together to oust a President or governor belonging to the same party.   And President Andrew Johnson doesn't count. 

Almost was Eric Greitens.
compucomp

« Reply #494 on: March 13, 2021, 12:00:27 PM »

Switch party registration to Republican. Cut a deal with Trump to rally Republican support for him in exchange for a pardon. Then call in every last favor he has with NY Senate Democrats to get them to vote not to convict. I'm assuming he knows where the bodies are buried and can blackmail/intimidate/whatever a few people to vote in his favor.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #495 on: March 13, 2021, 12:31:28 PM »

The bar is set low, for sure, and yet my point still stands.  When is the last time the Republican Party impeached one of their own? And I don't just mean a few senators or congressmen, but the bulk of their elected representatives banding together to oust a President or governor belonging to the same party.   And President Andrew Johnson doesn't count.  

Yeah I'm sorry. I agree with your point about the nursing home scandal, but there were plenty on the left who were critical about that as well. They were just silence by the corporate machine that is the central party. Also the Dems at least really cracked down on sexual harassment allegations, and Republicans literally denounced Trump for saying that he assaulted people on camera but then did nothing about it--not to mention the myriad other scandals. It is a low bar, but one of the reasons I still am a Democrat despite hating them is that the GOP can't even get over that (or off the ground and out of the gutter).

If this was Ron DeSantis nothing would be happening at this point, and the women accusers would be ignored. And please don't bring up Eric Greitens. He literally documented his rape and then lied about it to law enforcement. He wasn't forced out by his party, but the justice system lol

The lobbyist crowd and Wall St. probably want Hochul, but the party will likely want James because she isn't as controversial. If Hochul fails to get the WFP nomination (a definite possibility) she could blow the race. James is the most mainstream candidate who can also unite the base.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #496 on: March 13, 2021, 12:42:31 PM »

Switch party registration to Republican. Cut a deal with Trump to rally Republican support for him in exchange for a pardon. Then call in every last favor he has with NY Senate Democrats to get them to vote not to convict. I'm assuming he knows where the bodies are buried and can blackmail/intimidate/whatever a few people to vote in his favor.

That certainly wouldn't necessarily be a smart move, though, given that trying to do that to Ron Kim (& then some of the 55 legislators who put that joint statement out) is what helped spiral into this whole mess in the first place.
Duke of York

« Reply #497 on: March 13, 2021, 12:55:14 PM »

How could Trump pardon him?

it would be a very dumb move. Most of the Senate wants him gone such a move would only anger the legislature further and blackmailing legislators would only add to charges for impeachment.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #498 on: March 13, 2021, 01:01:23 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2021, 01:07:30 PM by Zaybay »

This entire idea is nonsense.

1. The only thing keeping Cuomo barely afloat right now are the partisan Democrats that choose to look the other way no matter what he does because of the D next to his name. The Republicans aren't just gonna suddenly embrace the guy that they've despised for the past decade just because he suddenly swapped to being a Republican.

2. Why would the Republicans even want Cuomo? The guy likely won't be able to win the GOP primary nor the general in 2022, and he can't really block much legislation since the Democrats have a supermajority in both chambers. They'd be taking in a man they despise and someone who's got numerous counts of sexual harassment...for little/no gain.

3. If Cuomo is switching to the Republican party, why would any senate Democrat, even those that are currently his staunchest allies, stick by him? He'd basically be stabbing the party in the back and then asking said party to bail him out. If anything, switching his affiliation would make his impeachment/conviction assured.

4. Riiiiight, the blackmail strategy has totally worked for Cuomo so far during this scandal and hasn't just caused things to get even worse. /s
Normally when you try to blackmail someone, you need to have some form of leverage over them. Before this all occurred, he had a ton of leverage. He was the popular governor of NY, the guy that no one could touch, and if you wanted to get anywhere in the state's politics, you had to talk to him. Now, he's the guy who Democrats and Republicans across the US are calling to resign including almost the entire NY delegation (which houses some of his staunchest allies). This man has absolutely no leverage, which has become apparent as absolutely no one has been taking his threats seriously and have just been leaking them to the press or talking about them outright, which only serves to damage Cuomo even more.

Perhaps there is a way for Cuomo to weasel his way out of this, but this isn't it.
compucomp

« Reply #499 on: March 13, 2021, 01:48:14 PM »

This entire idea is nonsense.

1. The only thing keeping Cuomo barely afloat right now are the partisan Democrats that choose to look the other way no matter what he does because of the D next to his name. The Republicans aren't just gonna suddenly embrace the guy that they've despised for the past decade just because he suddenly swapped to being a Republican.

2. Why would the Republicans even want Cuomo? The guy likely won't be able to win the GOP primary nor the general in 2022, and he can't really block much legislation since the Democrats have a supermajority in both chambers. They'd be taking in a man they despise and someone who's got numerous counts of sexual harassment...for little/no gain.

3. If Cuomo is switching to the Republican party, why would any senate Democrat, even those that are currently his staunchest allies, stick by him? He'd basically be stabbing the party in the back and then asking said party to bail him out. If anything, switching his affiliation would make his impeachment/conviction assured.

4. Riiiiight, the blackmail strategy has totally worked for Cuomo so far during this scandal and hasn't just caused things to get even worse. /s
Normally when you try to blackmail someone, you need to have some form of leverage over them. Before this all occurred, he had a ton of leverage. He was the popular governor of NY, the guy that no one could touch, and if you wanted to get anywhere in the state's politics, you had to talk to him. Now, he's the guy who Democrats and Republicans across the US are calling to resign including almost the entire NY delegation (which houses some of his staunchest allies). This man has absolutely no leverage, which has become apparent as absolutely no one has been taking his threats seriously and have just been leaking them to the press or talking about them outright, which only serves to damage Cuomo even more.

Perhaps there is a way for Cuomo to weasel his way out of this, but this isn't it.

Trump can take care of 1, he can go on TV and proclaim that Andrew Cuomo has been his buddy for a long time, a fighter up against the Democratic "cancel culture", and that he's on the right side now so Republicans should stand with him. This would be done in exchange for Cuomo pardoning Trump on NY state charges.

You're right on 2, this is a big weakness of this strategy, if Cuomo could stop legislation he could promise the Republicans to veto the coming Democratic NY gerrymander and get the national Republican Party on his side too.

On 3 and 4, if Cuomo gets the 20 Republican senators, he only needs 2 Democratic senators. Of course he wouldn't get them on merit. But NY is a machine politics state and I'm sure there are corpses and skeletons hidden all over the place. Illegal slush funds that lawmakers use to enrich themselves, ties with Jeffrey Epstein, that kind of thing. You and I don't know where they are, but Cuomo surely does, and with this info he could blackmail a few Democratic senators to vote to acquit. Mike Madigan ran IL for decades with this kind of manipulation.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies