NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:13:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 80
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 110790 times)
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: March 07, 2021, 07:50:19 PM »

Speaking of Virginia:

Also, new news:

Ralph Northam has forfeited the right to comment on any other Governor's scandals, quite frankly.

It was a quote by Cuomo about Northam from 2019.

Which makes Cuomo a hypocrite. Still doesn't change my feelings on Northam though.

Literally no one on this site likes Northam

I'd go as far to say that not a single person on the planet earth likes Northam.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #351 on: March 07, 2021, 08:16:05 PM »

Speaking of Virginia:

Also, new news:

Ralph Northam has forfeited the right to comment on any other Governor's scandals, quite frankly.

It was a quote by Cuomo about Northam from 2019.

Which makes Cuomo a hypocrite. Still doesn't change my feelings on Northam though.

Literally no one on this site likes Northam

I'd go as far to say that not a single person on the planet earth likes Northam.

I feel like Ralph Northam would beg to differ Tongue
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #352 on: March 07, 2021, 09:18:45 PM »

Lognog
United States

« Reply #353 on: March 07, 2021, 10:36:28 PM »

wonder if any NYC mayor candidate won't call for Cuomo to go
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #354 on: March 08, 2021, 01:13:55 AM »

This feels almost coordinated in how every major democratic politician or candidate releasing their statement on the 7th. I doubt it was, but Stewart-Cousins has opened the flood gates and Cuomo is cooked
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #355 on: March 08, 2021, 03:50:51 AM »
« Edited: March 08, 2021, 07:25:55 AM by MR. KAYNE WEST »

It's politics why Ds want Cuomo to go, he messed up Redistricting last time by agreeing with R State Senate on redraw of lines, they want a Progressive to redraw the lines for NY
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #356 on: March 08, 2021, 07:22:39 AM »

Is there a whiplist of senators and assemblymembers who've made a statement on impeachment?
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #357 on: March 08, 2021, 07:57:42 AM »

Has Andrew Yang made a statement? If not, I assume if he does, it will sound like this:

Sexual harassment is wrong. So if someone sexually harasses people, they're probably wrong too. And we shouldn't have leaders who are wrong. So if someone is found to be sexually harassing people, they should think long and hard about what they did. Because it's wrong.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #358 on: March 08, 2021, 08:54:09 AM »

Cuomo: "No way I resign"
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #359 on: March 08, 2021, 09:10:10 AM »

This is still from before Stewart-Cousins and Heastie made their statements, though.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #360 on: March 08, 2021, 09:14:48 AM »

Would be nice if Andrew Cuomo resigns on International Women's Day. Seems only fitting.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #361 on: March 08, 2021, 09:39:50 AM »

Donovan has called for James to open an investigation, as has Adams, but both are yet to actually call for Cuomo's resignation. Sliwa hasn't said anything, but he's a Republican, and I assume you meant Democratic candidates.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #362 on: March 08, 2021, 09:54:15 AM »

Yeah, but he not only told Stewart-Cousins directly before she released her statement that he wasn't quitting & that they'd have to impeach him if they wanted him out of office, but then called legislators & the like to try & put a lid on any further statements, so the same principle presumably still applies.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #363 on: March 08, 2021, 10:14:29 AM »

Wouldn't impeachment at least require the investigations to be completed to make a clear case and win enough support? If so, Cuomo could indeed drag this on for many months or even beyond the September '22 primaries. Having the legislative leadership of his own party turn on him may hinder his legislative agenda, but I'd be surprised the dude actually cared about that. All he cares about is preserving his power and status.

To me it seems Dem political leadership just has enough of his missmanagement and arrogant leadership style and now sees the golden opportunity to get rid of him. Cuomo is aware of that, I think, and just says "impeach if you want me out", knowing it would take time and the scandals may fade away, at least for a period of time. I just hope Dem leadership in NYS including Schumer and Gillibrand as well as the WH aren't playing his game and finally force the worst Dem gov in the nation to resign. The dude is a disgrace.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #364 on: March 08, 2021, 12:19:49 PM »

I wouldn't put it past Cuomo to defy the legislature and refuse to resign. Even Northam never got to this point.
In Northam's case, both his potential successors had baggage revealed during the same time period (rape allegations against Fairfax, Herring's blackface scandal), and next in line would've been the Republican President pro tempore of the Senate (not completely sure, but didn't he also see a blackface controversy arising at that time?). This is not the case here, Hochul has been pretty much uncontroversial so far.
Hochul has been a nonentity as Lieutenant Governor. She's clean and she isn't personally threatening to anyone.

The conflict to look for with her is whether her political views have changed since her last period of political independence in Congress, when she was the sort of Democrat who campaigned on opposition to illegal immigration and gun laws.

She has tempered much of that over the past decade, but it's worth noting that we're facing the prospect of New York State being led by a woman from Erie County with a Joe Manchin-esque legislative voting record, even if that description remains nothing more than a curiosity that has little bearing on how she chooses to govern.
I imagine that if she got elevated to the governorship she'd take the Gillibrand route of moving to the left once in a statewide position since it's already been proven to be an effective strategy in New York.
Duke of York

« Reply #365 on: March 08, 2021, 12:23:48 PM »

I dont think Cuomo is going to resign no matter who tells him to do so. He'll defy the whole state party. As of today he's given no indication he will. Hochul definitely would be an improvement though.
Duke of York

« Reply #366 on: March 08, 2021, 12:40:38 PM »

I imagine that if she got elevated to the governorship she'd take the Gillibrand route of moving to the left once in a statewide position since it's already been proven to be an effective strategy in New York.

Oh, I don't think we'll be hearing much about her taking the Conservative Party ballot line in every race prior to her joining Cuomo's ticket. I imagine that she will lead quietly aside from the mandatory fanfare over her being the first woman in charge of the Second Floor.

She's not someone who many people will expect to seek reelection in her own right. That said, if Cuomo actually goes down, there's no telling what the fallout will be. The ensuing power struggle holds the potential for crazy outcomes.

Why wouldn't she seek a full term?
Duke of York

« Reply #367 on: March 08, 2021, 01:09:11 PM »

She's an erstwhile Blue Dog from Buffalo. Cuomo selected her in 2014 because she was non-threatening, lacking in outward ambitions, and of little consequence to the state party. She nearly lost her last primary to Jumaane Williams and barely managed 60% against Tim Wu of all people in 2014.

Why does that mean she wouldnt run for a full term?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #368 on: March 08, 2021, 08:06:34 PM »

Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #369 on: March 08, 2021, 08:11:15 PM »

How many votes do they need? Is it a simple majority like at the federal level?
Duke of York

« Reply #370 on: March 08, 2021, 08:16:15 PM »

yes simple majority and two thirds to convict in the Senate.  There is no way Cuomo ever resigns.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #371 on: March 08, 2021, 08:19:50 PM »

yes simple majority and two thirds to convict in the Senate.  There is no way Cuomo ever resigns.

Assuming they can get Carl Heastie on board, they'll have both. Andrea Stewart-Cousins already seems to be on board with impeachment and can rally support in favor of removal should it come to the State Senate.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #372 on: March 08, 2021, 08:38:49 PM »

The irony is that if Rs convict Cuomo, a Progressive LT Gov will redraw the lines and multiple Rs will be losing seats in NY
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #373 on: March 08, 2021, 08:39:21 PM »

Cuomo is not going to resign, but this is probably his last term. Hochul, James, or Bellone are the favorites to win in 2022.

Tom Suozzi and Steve Bellone are suburban Italian Americans like Cuomo, straight white male Democrats who appeal to female voters but could have baggage like Cuomo....

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #374 on: March 08, 2021, 08:52:45 PM »

The irony is that if Rs convict Cuomo, a Progressive LT Gov will redraw the lines and multiple Rs will be losing seats in NY

Kathy Hochul is NOT a progressive.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies