NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:08:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 80
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 112515 times)
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: March 01, 2021, 04:22:53 PM »

Letitia James would be the one of  black woman to win any statewide election in American history and the first in New York History. That would be amazing but historically New York doesn’t make that kinda history, being one of the few states to have never had elected a female governor, or a minority governor. This leads me to think maybe a dark horse like Biaggi could win/take the plunge against him. However the state party is changing so it could surprise me.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #201 on: March 01, 2021, 04:28:57 PM »

Letitia James would be the one of  black woman to win any statewide election in American history and the first in New York History. That would be amazing but historically New York doesn’t make that kinda history, being one of the few states to have never had elected a female governor, or a minority governor. This leads me to think maybe a dark horse like Biaggi could win/take the plunge against him. However the state party is changing so it could surprise me.

Biaggi would be a much bigger change for the state, as by far the most far-left Governor the state has ever had.

James is pretty well-regarded by the state, so I assume she'll just be the state-backed candidate and have a fairly easy win if Cuomo is still in office but doesn't run again. But if Hochul is put into office by a Cuomo resignation, she'd probably be the favorite.
Duke of York

« Reply #202 on: March 01, 2021, 04:35:34 PM »

Biaggi would be a much bigger change for the state, as by far the most far-left Governor the state has ever had.

James is pretty well-regarded by the state, so I assume she'll just be the state-backed candidate and have a fairly easy win if Cuomo is still in office but doesn't run again. But if Hochul is put into office by a Cuomo resignation, she'd probably be the favorite.
If Hochul runs for a full  James likely won't primary her.
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #203 on: March 01, 2021, 04:45:55 PM »

If Hochul runs for a full  James likely won't primary her.
I am a bit biased towards Hochul for no other reason than her geographical location. She'd be the first unambiguously Upstate Governor in ~90 years.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #204 on: March 01, 2021, 08:33:42 PM »

Cuomo has been accused, and photographed, of an unwanted sexual/flirtacious advance, for a THIRD time in one week.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1366550861342777346

Rep. Kathleen Rice has called for Cuomo's resignation.

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #205 on: March 01, 2021, 08:40:56 PM »

Does anyone think this is a potential setup?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #206 on: March 01, 2021, 08:44:50 PM »

In this cancel culture phase of the #MeToo era, there's always potential that all of these allegations and the release of the photo were orchestrated - but that doesn't change the fact that they are allegations worthy of investigation, and tonight's photo being a cringeworthy, damning piece of evidence against Cuomo.

Setup or not - it's time for him to go.
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #207 on: March 01, 2021, 08:46:35 PM »

It's possible but unlikely.

Then again, the nursing home coverup should have been enough to push him out on its own. Even if some over-exaggerated photo is the thing that actually gets him out I really don't care. Al Capone was convicted of tax evasion.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #208 on: March 01, 2021, 09:16:01 PM »

I'll go as far as to say that if Cuomo is the Democratic nominee in 2022, this race is Safe R.
Pink Panther

« Reply #209 on: March 01, 2021, 09:20:59 PM »

Jesus Christ. This is the quickest hero to villain turn I have ever seen.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2021, 09:57:33 PM »

Cuomo expert's take:

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #211 on: March 01, 2021, 10:19:51 PM »

Jesus Christ. This is the quickest hero to villain turn I have ever seen.
Cuomo has never been a hero. He’s always been a sleazebag who seems to like the Independent Democratic Caucus than actual Democrats. Him being this way is unsurprising to those who payed attention.

Duke of York

« Reply #212 on: March 02, 2021, 12:08:37 AM »

Cuomo expert's take:

That depends on if more allegations come out and if more people turn against him.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #213 on: March 02, 2021, 12:16:59 AM »

Yeah, the guy touched on that in his latest update:

Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #214 on: March 02, 2021, 12:23:30 AM »

He's an easy target in terms of political attacks against Democrats, so it'll be good to see him go.

(I don't mean electorally, I mean "associationally" or something, like how Rs put random photos of AOC in every ad now)
Duke of York

« Reply #215 on: March 02, 2021, 12:33:21 AM »

I dont see why Hochul wouldnt run for a full term. She'd likely get it.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #216 on: March 02, 2021, 12:14:23 PM »

I remember last year there were some weird muttering about how Cuomo could serve as a compromise nominee if the primary went to convention cause of how well he handled the virus. How quickly things change.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #217 on: March 02, 2021, 12:22:58 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2021, 12:37:40 PM by MAGugh »

Hochul would run, and I say a crowd of probably 5-10 candidates as well.

Alessandra Biaggi, Tish James, Jamaal Bowman, Ritchie Torres, Byron Brown, Tim Kennedy, Sean Patrick Maloney, Max Rose, AOC, Chuck Schumer, Hillary, Lindsey Boylan, all have a reason why running for Governor makes sense; on top of NY being a pretty attractive state right now for a post-COVID recovery and the inevitable legalization of sports gambling and marijuana.

My leading bet right now:

No Cuomo resignation, but by May he announces he will not be running in 2022.

Byron Brown wins the primary, given the challenge he's facing right now from DSA and Working Families-endorsed India Walton (who will go on to become Mayor of Buffalo), and Brown goes on to face Janice Dean in the general. Kathy Hochul remains Lieutenant Governor, and Tish James remains NY AG but will face a challenge from a progressive.

Brown, Hochul, and James all go on to win and develop post-COVID NY similarly to how Brown did Buffalo post-recession; with the help of [insert new NYC Mayor].
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #218 on: March 02, 2021, 12:31:33 PM »

I remember last year there were some weird muttering about how Cuomo could serve as a compromise nominee if the primary went to convention cause of how well he handled the virus. How quickly things change.

That was a really stupid idea then too, and he was just as horrible. Now it's just more obvious. But you're right public opinion has finally changed.
Duke of York

« Reply #219 on: March 02, 2021, 12:37:36 PM »

Alessandra Biaggi, Tish James, Jamaal Bowman, Ritchie Torres, Byron Brown, Tim Kennedy, Sean Patrick Maloney, Max Rose, AOC, Chuck Schumer, Hillary, Lindsey Boylan, all have a reason why running for Governor makes sense; on top of NY being a pretty attractive state right now for a post-COVID recovery and the inevitable legalization of sports gambling and marijuana.

Byron Brown wins the primary, given the challenge he's facing right now from DSA and Working Families-endorsed India Walton (who will go on to become Mayor of Buffalo), and Brown goes on to face Janice Dean in the general. Kathy Hochul remains Lieutenant Governor, and Tish James remains NY AG but will face a challenge from a progressive.

Brown, Hochul, and James all go on to win and develop post-COVID NY similarly to how Brown did Buffalo post-recession; likely with help of NYC Mayor Andrew Yang.

I don't think it would be that many people. Why Brown? I don't think hes going to lose reelection.

Hochul can't run for governor and then be chosen as Lt. Governor. The primaries are separate.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #220 on: March 02, 2021, 12:40:47 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2021, 12:50:05 PM by MAGugh »

Brown, Hochul, and James all go on to win and develop post-COVID NY similarly to how Brown did Buffalo post-recession; likely with help of NYC Mayor Andrew Yang.

I don't think it would be that many people. Why Brown?

Hochul can't run for governor and then be chosen as Lt. Governor. The primaries are separate.

I don't think it'll be that many people that I listed as well, but just pick about 5 of them for starters.

Most Buffalo mayoral races are pretty dead and boring. India Walton, on top of being endorsed by WFP and the DSA, is gaining a good amount of social media traction from my on-the-ground following of the race. By far the strongest opponent Brown has had to face yet in his years of campaigning.

If Cuomo steps aside, Brown has massive networking resources with Dems all across the state, all the way to the DNC even.

From Brown's perspective, you avoid the June primary loss and run for the higher office. He's only been Mayor of Buffalo for 15 years, and unlike Tish James (who I see as having a reverse-Kathy Hochul problem; her perceived role in the nursing home scandal/COVID shutdowns is not very positive here in WNY), I think he'll be the best balance between WNY/Upstate/NYC voters.

As for Hochul, I see her running or flirting with the idea, but likely dropping out before the primary as well. I don't see her doing well outside of Western/Upstate NY.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #221 on: March 02, 2021, 12:44:16 PM »

Hochul would be toast in the primary if she sought a full term as Governor, the NY Democratic Party is not gonna let a random upstater have that job long-term.  Tish James would almost certainly have right of first refusal, regardless of what Hochul does.  Even if James didn't run for whatever reason, the nomination would just go to some other NYC politician rather than Hochul.
Duke of York

« Reply #222 on: March 02, 2021, 01:03:15 PM »

I don't think it would be that many people. Why Brown?

I don't think it'll be that many people that I listed as well, but just pick about 5 of them for starters.

Most Buffalo mayoral races are pretty dead and boring. India Walton, on top of being endorsed by WFP and the DSA, is gaining a good amount of social media traction from my on-the-ground following of the race. By far the strongest opponent Brown has had to face yet in his years of campaigning.

If Cuomo steps aside, Brown has massive networking resources with Dems all across the state, all the way to the DNC even.

From Brown's perspective, you avoid the June primary loss and run for the higher office. He's only been Mayor of Buffalo for 15 years, and unlike Tish James (who I see as having a reverse-Kathy Hochul problem; her perceived role in the nursing home scandal/COVID shutdowns is not very positive here in WNY), I think he'll be the best balance between WNY/Upstate/NYC voters.

As for Hochul, I see her running or flirting with the idea, but likely dropping out before the primary as well. I don't see her doing well outside of Western/Upstate NY.

social media is not a good indicator of election outcomes
Duke of York

« Reply #223 on: March 02, 2021, 01:04:20 PM »

Hochul would be toast in the primary if she sought a full term as Governor, the NY Democratic Party is not gonna let a random upstater have that job long-term.  Tish James would almost certainly have right of first refusal, regardless of what Hochul does.  Even if James didn't run for whatever reason, the nomination would just go to some other NYC politician rather than Hochul.
I don't think shed be toast if sought a full term. James probably wouldnt run against her. If Hochul didn't;'t run James would be the frontrunner.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #224 on: March 02, 2021, 02:36:58 PM »

Cuomo journalist now expecting resignation.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies