NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:31:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 80
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 110799 times)
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2021, 01:58:56 PM »

Hochul will be the incumbent Governor by summer at the very latest and is likely not going anywhere for a while after that.

Nah, I doubt this.

Wouldn't surprise me if Cuomo announces he won't run for a fourth term (the harassment charges are bad) but I'm sure he feels his "leadership" is needed for the time being.

As Spitzer and Schneiderman quickly found out, this can be taken out of your hands.

It probably would have happened to Northam as well was it not for the bizarre triple-helix of scandals that ruined his possible successors.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2021, 02:38:12 PM »

Somewhat of an effort post coming:

Alexandria Ocasio Cortez should run for Governor of New York

She already meets the constitutional requirements since she’s over 30 and has lived in the state long enough.

She clearly has ambitions for higher office and potentially the presidency. What offices are there that are higher than US Representative and position one for their next step to be the presidency? Senate and Governor. Kirsten Gillibramd is one of the two senators, and she’s young and doesn’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. The other senator, Chuck Schumer, is the Majority Leader and also not going anywhere anytime soon. Cuomo, however, is as weak as he’s ever been and far more vulnerable to a primary challenge. The primary ads for a young woman running against a man accused of sexual assault write themselves.

Unlike any other potential primary challengers, Ocasio is already well known statewide and could probably get any other progressive challengers to Cuomo to drop out and endorse her the moment she announces her candidacy. Her platform could be the standard progressive agenda, plus transparency and ethics reform in Albany.

She’s also got a big enough following that any silencing tactics from Cuomo would be less likely to work and more likely to backfire. The other candidates thinking of running look like people Cuomo can just ignore. He can’t ignore Ocasio or he will lose.

Going from US representative to governor is not an unprecedented move, either. Mike Pence did it, and so did others.

Last point: What would be a better platform for Ocasio to run for President than implementing progressive policies in one of the most populated states in the country? She could also still run for the Senate later of one of the seats opens up.

She should not run.....she would lose to Weik or Dean or Harry Wilson.....

She's not losing to a GOPer, lol. But I agree gov is not where she belongs at this moment. But Mr. Cuomo needs to go as soon as possible. The dude is horrible.
Why though? Why is it not where she belongs?
Babeuf

« Reply #177 on: February 24, 2021, 02:55:37 PM »

Have been very impressed by Ron Kim throughout this saga. He's really held his own and is waging an effective media campaign against Cuomo.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #178 on: February 24, 2021, 03:27:12 PM »

(Cross-posted in the USGD Cuomo thread too)

Not to seem like a doomer, but given how Trump managed to completely upend the landscape of what constitutes an actual resignation-triggering scandal, what's stopping Cuomo - who, at this point, is unambiguously the Democratic Trump in terms of personality - from just saying "f**k off, haters" & continuing in office for the remainder of his term, if not then going on to even be re-elected to a 4th?

Like, at least Spitzer & Schneiderman had the wherewithal to understand that their time & political support were up (or about to be), & Northam was pretty much prevented from resigning by the circumstances of his entire line-of-succession having their own issues, but I don't know, it just seems like even with everything terrible that's coming out about Cuomo right now (& even though he has a scandal-free successor ready & waiting in the wings), his political support still isn't going away, at least not to an extent that it'd need to in order to actually trigger a resignation, or an impeachment, or - at the very least - an announcement that he won't be seeking a 4th term?

Seriously, what the hell's going on here? Am I just being overly worried/crazy & something unbeknownst to my eye but earth-shattering is indeed happening here that's actually gonna result in his being gone relatively soon, or - as I fear - does truly nothing matter anymore & he's here to stay?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #179 on: February 24, 2021, 04:06:51 PM »

Stefanik is going to be the next governor (next elected governor if Cuomo resigns) if she wants the job.

Nope Hochul or James will be. I could see Stefanik being the nominee though.

Yeah, I doubt Stefanik would have a chance against any serious Democrat. New York is just too blue. Furthermore, I'm sure Hochul and/or James would improve in Upstate from Cuomo's 2018 performance.

A New York Republican has to run a Pataki 1994-1998-2002 campaign......they need to make inroads in the NYC suburbs.....they can, especially with police unions endorsing the NYGOP now...
what about Pataki  himself?

Too old and irrelevant....he had his time

NYGOP needs someone new and dynamic....
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #180 on: February 24, 2021, 11:33:26 PM »

The DataGate scandal is remarkably undercovered by the media.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #181 on: February 24, 2021, 11:34:26 PM »

We need fresh faces, not a Cuomo crony.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #182 on: February 25, 2021, 10:16:53 AM »

(Cross-posted in the USGD Cuomo thread too)

Not to seem like a doomer, but given how Trump managed to completely upend the landscape of what constitutes an actual resignation-triggering scandal, what's stopping Cuomo - who, at this point, is unambiguously the Democratic Trump in terms of personality - from just saying "f**k off, haters" & continuing in office for the remainder of his term, if not then going on to even be re-elected to a 4th?

Like, at least Spitzer & Schneiderman had the wherewithal to understand that their time & political support were up (or about to be), & Northam was pretty much prevented from resigning by the circumstances of his entire line-of-succession having their own issues, but I don't know, it just seems like even with everything terrible that's coming out about Cuomo right now (& even though he has a scandal-free successor ready & waiting in the wings), his political support still isn't going away, at least not to an extent that it'd need to in order to actually trigger a resignation, or an impeachment, or - at the very least - an announcement that he won't be seeking a 4th term?

Seriously, what the hell's going on here? Am I just being overly worried/crazy & something unbeknownst to my eye but earth-shattering is indeed happening here that's actually gonna result in his being gone relatively soon, or - as I fear - does truly nothing matter anymore & he's here to stay?

Your point is pretty valid, but I don't think Cuomo is at the level of Trump's delusion and unrelenting narcissism.

He could, of course, think this can all blow over and feel that if he just stays the course he can get that elusive 4th term. He might be right? But the Democratic party would be so much more willing to jettison Cuomo than you might think, especially if the primary challenger is a person of color.

I think the likely scenario is still that he'll say no to a 4th term but say the allegations aren't proven, and stay in office until January 1, 2023. But there's a lot of moving parts here so a bunch of different scenarios can happen.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #183 on: February 27, 2021, 03:32:41 PM »

Tom Reed voted for the equality act the other day (So did Katko, but that's expected).

Prepping his bipartisan cred for a blue state gubernatorial run or scared of redistricting?
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #184 on: February 27, 2021, 06:39:35 PM »

Cuomo has, again, been accused of sexual harassment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/27/nyregion/cuomo-sexual-harassment.html#click=https://t.co/y7TzreIJj9
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #185 on: February 27, 2021, 06:41:41 PM »

Tom Reed voted for the equality act the other day (So did Katko, but that's expected).

Prepping his bipartisan cred for a blue state gubernatorial run or scared of redistricting?

Redistricting. He's too red otherwise.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #186 on: February 27, 2021, 06:46:04 PM »

I predict Cuomo either announces he's ending his re-election bid of gets primaried by Tish James. Either way I think Tish James is very likely the next Governor if she chooses to run.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #187 on: February 27, 2021, 06:51:18 PM »

I predict Cuomo either announces he's ending his re-election bid of gets primaried by Tish James. Either way I think Tish James is very likely the next Governor if she chooses to run.

Speaking of which...do we have a primary challenger?

She'd beat him no doubt.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #188 on: February 27, 2021, 08:31:53 PM »

Long Island Democratic Senator and huge Cuomo ally:

He's running out of friends to turn to.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #189 on: February 27, 2021, 08:32:23 PM »

Literally anyone who primaries Cuomo = endorsed
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #190 on: February 27, 2021, 08:47:31 PM »

At this point my guess is he promises to retire in 2022 or resigns in exchange for not being charged, in any case, Hochul is now the favorite for 2022 Governor, in my opinion.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #191 on: February 27, 2021, 09:08:14 PM »

Long Island Democratic Senator and huge Cuomo ally:

He's running out of friends to turn to.

Kaminsky is saying this because he could go down in redding Long Island in '22....
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #192 on: February 27, 2021, 09:11:42 PM »

At this point my guess is he promises to retire in 2022 or resigns in exchange for not being charged, in any case, Hochul is now the favorite for 2022 Governor, in my opinion.

Hochul is not popular with Black New Yorkers....it's James or someone else.....
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #193 on: February 27, 2021, 11:27:31 PM »

Lindsey Boylan to reveal more details about Cuomo's alleged grooming tactics tomorrow:

TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #194 on: February 27, 2021, 11:57:41 PM »

Biaggi calls for Cuomo's resignation.

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #195 on: February 28, 2021, 05:44:04 AM »

The arrogant fool needs to resign. Joe Biden and Chuck Schumer need to tell him that his time in office is over. If he doesn't go voluntarily, the nursing home scandal and these accusations should lead to impeachment.

Also, what a hypocrite publically supporting a women's agenda and being abusive behind closed doors. He should be ashamed.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #196 on: February 28, 2021, 10:55:36 AM »

#DraftJaniceDean
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #197 on: February 28, 2021, 04:46:38 PM »

Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone, a Italian-American suburban county executive in the mold of Cuomo and Suozzi could run, but his brand is not popular........too centrist, too suburban, too white
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #198 on: February 28, 2021, 06:02:37 PM »

Okay, folks, I think we are being really presumptuous about the power of "the establishment" in NYC politics. Hochul is not winning, and neither is anyone directly in Cuomo's sphere of influence. The latter should be obvious why, but IIRC Hochul is from up-state and that's not gonna help at all in a primary. Unless I'm wrong?

I'm also betting that New Yorkers will want a historic candidacy, probably a woman of color. My money is on Tish James or maybe AOC if she thinks the primary is worth the risk.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #199 on: February 28, 2021, 09:02:40 PM »

Cuomo admits to "unwanted flirtation"

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2021/0228/Cuomo-denies-sexual-harassment-but-admits-unwanted-flirtation
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies