NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:36:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 80
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 110853 times)
Duke of York

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2021, 05:53:00 PM »

Stefanik is going to be the next governor (next elected governor if Cuomo resigns) if she wants the job.

Nope Hochul or James will be. I could see Stefanik being the nominee though.

Yeah, I doubt Stefanik would have a chance against any serious Democrat. New York is just too blue. Furthermore, I'm sure Hochul and/or James would improve in Upstate from Cuomo's 2018 performance.

I doubt it as well. if Cuomo is forced out Hochul will almost certainly run for a full term. James will likely run at some point in the future. It's hard to see her launching a primary against Hochul.
tagimaucia

« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2021, 06:21:38 PM »

Do people really believe that Stefanik could win statewide?  Are I being trolled?  I do think that in a perfect storm Doug Jones-esque situation, a moderate Republican in the mold of Baker or Hogan could pull it off, but I don't think Stefanik would have a snowball's chance in hell in any scenario.  New York is not going to elect a governor who has recently gone full-on-MAGA.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #152 on: February 18, 2021, 06:36:56 PM »

Stefanik is going to be the next governor (next elected governor if Cuomo resigns) if she wants the job.

Yeah, I doubt Stefanik would have a chance against any serious Democrat. New York is just too blue. Furthermore, I'm sure Hochul and/or James would improve in Upstate from Cuomo's 2018 performance.

In the right environment, a RINO might have a change. Stefanik isn't one though. She hitched her wagon to Trumpism years ago.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2021, 07:50:16 PM »

Biden will NEVER win the Presidency. Trump wins reelection in 2020.
Agree.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #154 on: February 18, 2021, 08:32:30 PM »

Stefanik doesn't have a chance even against Cuomo.

However, if Republicans want to win the seat, they should nominate someone like Chris Gibson or Nicole Malliotakis instead.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #155 on: February 18, 2021, 11:03:54 PM »

Stefanik doesn't have a chance even against Cuomo.

However, if Republicans want to win the seat, they should nominate someone like Chris Gibson or Nicole Malliotakis instead.

No, Nicole needs to stay in Staten island and protect me from ever having to see Max Rose's stupid face again.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #156 on: February 18, 2021, 11:23:37 PM »

A New York Republican has to run a Pataki 1994-1998-2002 campaign......they need to make inroads in the NYC suburbs.....they can, especially with police unions endorsing the NYGOP now...

It's not the late 1990s anymore. It's like saying a Pete Wilson Republican can win California or Phil Bredesen type Democrat can get elected governor of Tennessee. Even in Republican wave elections like 2010 and 2014, they got blown out. And all the candidates they have to offer or who have a chance at the nomination don't have it to overcome the partisan lean and strength of the Democratic candidates. I just don't see it.

I know it is not the 1990s-2000s anymore, but a Edgar/Ryan/Baker/Hogan/Whitman/Pataki type can win NY....common knowledge says that a NYGOPer has to win 30 percent in NYC.....I think a Republican wins Staten Island for the first time since 2002 at the gubernatorial level....
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2021, 02:16:11 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2021, 03:09:01 PM »

Politicians working to hold other politicians accountable for things, even if they're members of their own party!? Wow, you never see the GOP do stuff like this anymore.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #159 on: February 19, 2021, 03:18:44 PM »

I wonder AOC isn't calling for Cuomo's resignation yet. If even she doesn't at this point, it makes me wonder whether more powerful people will. Maybe once the investigations produce more evidence, but I'd rather have the guy gone sooner than later.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #160 on: February 19, 2021, 04:58:40 PM »

Incumbent Gov. Hochul when?

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2021, 06:03:54 PM »

Incumbent Gov. Hochul when?

Ron Kim has done more for bipartisanship in the last week than most politicians do in their entire career. Can we run him for Governor instead?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #162 on: February 19, 2021, 07:45:09 PM »

I wonder if Assemblyman Andrew Hevesi would run...

Hevesi is the son of disgraced state Controller Alan Hevesi who resigned in 2007 due to corruption....

Also, I don't see a Republican winning NY....

NY is too blue, yes, but a Republican winning even in a Biden midterm in the age of Black Lives Matter when they may run people like Janice Dean, Lee Zeldin, etc. who are in cahoots with the police unions and they don't believe in police brutality.....

Cuomo could hurt Upstate and LI Dems on the ballot.....Kevin Thomas, James Gaughran, Todd Kaminsky can go down if Cuomo is on the ballot in 2022

Dean is having a field day over this.......

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #163 on: February 19, 2021, 07:47:52 PM »

Lee Zeldin considering running for NY governor

StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2021, 08:34:37 AM »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2021/02/20/its-like-gangster-stuff-more-new-york-politicians-accuse-cuomo-of-threatening-behavior/?sh=3f0635991450

Cuomo, De Blasio, and Trump. Good job New Yorkers!
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2021, 09:50:51 AM »

I'm afraid Cuomo is just sitting this out and get renominated and reelected next year with token opposition. Worst aspect of this whole story is not that mistakes were made, which is already bad of this magnitude, it's that the dude shows zero self-awareness. He's so arrogant, it almost reaches Trump levels.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #166 on: February 23, 2021, 08:10:11 PM »

Somewhat of an effort post coming:

Alexandria Ocasio Cortez should run for Governor of New York

She already meets the constitutional requirements since she’s over 30 and has lived in the state long enough.

She clearly has ambitions for higher office and potentially the presidency. What offices are there that are higher than US Representative and position one for their next step to be the presidency? Senate and Governor. Kirsten Gillibramd is one of the two senators, and she’s young and doesn’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. The other senator, Chuck Schumer, is the Majority Leader and also not going anywhere anytime soon. Cuomo, however, is as weak as he’s ever been and far more vulnerable to a primary challenge. The primary ads for a young woman running against a man accused of sexual assault write themselves.

Unlike any other potential primary challengers, Ocasio is already well known statewide and could probably get any other progressive challengers to Cuomo to drop out and endorse her the moment she announces her candidacy. Her platform could be the standard progressive agenda, plus transparency and ethics reform in Albany.

She’s also got a big enough following that any silencing tactics from Cuomo would be less likely to work and more likely to backfire. The other candidates thinking of running look like people Cuomo can just ignore. He can’t ignore Ocasio or he will lose.

Going from US representative to governor is not an unprecedented move, either. Mike Pence did it, and so did others.

Last point: What would be a better platform for Ocasio to run for President than implementing progressive policies in one of the most populated states in the country? She could also still run for the Senate later of one of the seats opens up.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #167 on: February 24, 2021, 10:04:11 AM »

She already meets the constitutional requirements since she’s over 30 and has lived in the state long enough.

She clearly has ambitions for higher office and potentially the presidency. What offices are there that are higher than US Representative and position one for their next step to be the presidency? Senate and Governor. Kirsten Gillibramd is one of the two senators, and she’s young and doesn’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. The other senator, Chuck Schumer, is the Majority Leader and also not going anywhere anytime soon. Cuomo, however, is as weak as he’s ever been and far more vulnerable to a primary challenge. The primary ads for a young woman running against a man accused of sexual assault write themselves.

Unlike any other potential primary challengers, Ocasio is already well known statewide and could probably get any other progressive challengers to Cuomo to drop out and endorse her the moment she announces her candidacy. Her platform could be the standard progressive agenda, plus transparency and ethics reform in Albany.

She’s also got a big enough following that any silencing tactics from Cuomo would be less likely to work and more likely to backfire. The other candidates thinking of running look like people Cuomo can just ignore. He can’t ignore Ocasio or he will lose.

Going from US representative to governor is not an unprecedented move, either. Mike Pence did it, and so did others.

Last point: What would be a better platform for Ocasio to run for President than implementing progressive policies in one of the most populated states in the country? She could also still run for the Senate later of one of the seats opens up.

She should not run.....she would lose to Weik or Dean or Harry Wilson.....
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #168 on: February 24, 2021, 10:17:04 AM »

She should not run.....she would lose to Weik or Dean or Harry Wilson.....

She's not losing to a GOPer, lol. But I agree gov is not where she belongs at this moment. But Mr. Cuomo needs to go as soon as possible. The dude is horrible.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #169 on: February 24, 2021, 12:40:21 PM »

Hochul will be the incumbent Governor by summer at the very latest and is likely not going anywhere for a while after that.
Duke of York

« Reply #170 on: February 24, 2021, 12:42:55 PM »

Hochul will be the incumbent Governor by summer at the very latest and is likely not going anywhere for a while after that.

I really hope your right on that. I would love if she became Governor.  What makes you think he will not be governor by the Summer?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #171 on: February 24, 2021, 12:54:58 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2021, 01:05:47 PM by Suburbia »

You think Cuomo will be forced out? Wow....

Can Hochul win Black voters and Latinos, and other voters???

Flyersfan232

« Reply #172 on: February 24, 2021, 01:12:24 PM »

A New York Republican has to run a Pataki 1994-1998-2002 campaign......they need to make inroads in the NYC suburbs.....they can, especially with police unions endorsing the NYGOP now...
what about Pataki  himself?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #173 on: February 24, 2021, 01:45:41 PM »

I really hope your right on that. I would love if she became Governor.  What makes you think he will not be governor by the Summer?

A serious sexual harassment/misconduct allegation broke today. The woman, Lindsay Boylan, had been accusing Cuomo for a while but this is the first time she's gone public with detailed accusations. It seems like a perfect storm for everyone he's wronged to turn on him and force him out.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #174 on: February 24, 2021, 01:46:20 PM »

Nah, I doubt this.

Wouldn't surprise me if Cuomo announces he won't run for a fourth term (the harassment charges are bad) but I'm sure he feels his "leadership" is needed for the time being.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies