NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:20:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 80
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 110775 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1325 on: March 28, 2022, 07:13:52 PM »

LMAO
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1326 on: March 29, 2022, 05:36:00 AM »

Major scandal brewing. Lieutenant Governor Brian Benjamin is under federal investigation for campaign finance fraud related to his 2021 bid for New York City Comptroller.

Federal prosecutors and the FBI are investigating whether New York Lt. Gov. Brian Benjamin (D) played a role in directing fraudulent funds to his failed 2021 campaign for New York City comptroller.

His campaign advisers and the state Senate have been subpoenaed in the matter, according to The New York Times.

Prosecutors from the Southern District of New York have issued grand jury subpoenas seeking documents from Benjamin's campaign committee, paid staffers and consulting firms, three people familiar with the matter told the Times.

Prosecutors more recently began seeking records from the state Senate, where Benjamin previously served and represented Harlem prior to being selected for the lieutenant governor position by Gov. Kathy Hochul (D) after she became governor.

Benjamin has not been accused of wrongdoing, but Harlem real estate investor Gerald Migdol, who last year was charged with wire fraud, aggravated identity theft and other crimes, was accused of concocting a plan to misrepresent or conceal multiple illegal contributions to Benjamin's campaign, the newspaper reported.

This has the potential to be very bad news for Hochul. It probably won't cost her the election (there's still time to select a new Lieutenant Gubernatorial running mate for 2022), but it's an easy line of attack for Suozzi and for Zeldin in the general election.

Oh Kathy, didn't you or your team vet this guy properly? At least coming in fourth in that primary shows that he doesn't have that much support in NYC as well.

The question is whether we can expect any result here in the near future, whether there's substance to it or a nothingburger. I guess it would be better to drop Benjamin from the ticket or he withdraws. Wikipedia lists Assemblyman Ron Kim as "interested" in the position of lt. governor and I think he'd be a very solid pick. From New York City, a progressive and outspoken Cuomo-critic. And if diversity is important, he's Asian as well. As for the African American community, at least Tish James is running on the Democratic ticket for the de-facto second most important statewide office.

Personally, if I were Hochul, I'd offer the #2 spot on my ticket to either Suozzi or Williams to try and reduce the field running against me.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1327 on: March 29, 2022, 02:02:58 PM »

Major scandal brewing. Lieutenant Governor Brian Benjamin is under federal investigation for campaign finance fraud related to his 2021 bid for New York City Comptroller.

Federal prosecutors and the FBI are investigating whether New York Lt. Gov. Brian Benjamin (D) played a role in directing fraudulent funds to his failed 2021 campaign for New York City comptroller.

His campaign advisers and the state Senate have been subpoenaed in the matter, according to The New York Times.

Prosecutors from the Southern District of New York have issued grand jury subpoenas seeking documents from Benjamin's campaign committee, paid staffers and consulting firms, three people familiar with the matter told the Times.

Prosecutors more recently began seeking records from the state Senate, where Benjamin previously served and represented Harlem prior to being selected for the lieutenant governor position by Gov. Kathy Hochul (D) after she became governor.

Benjamin has not been accused of wrongdoing, but Harlem real estate investor Gerald Migdol, who last year was charged with wire fraud, aggravated identity theft and other crimes, was accused of concocting a plan to misrepresent or conceal multiple illegal contributions to Benjamin's campaign, the newspaper reported.

This has the potential to be very bad news for Hochul. It probably won't cost her the election (there's still time to select a new Lieutenant Gubernatorial running mate for 2022), but it's an easy line of attack for Suozzi and for Zeldin in the general election.

Oh Kathy, didn't you or your team vet this guy properly? At least coming in fourth in that primary shows that he doesn't have that much support in NYC as well.

The question is whether we can expect any result here in the near future, whether there's substance to it or a nothingburger. I guess it would be better to drop Benjamin from the ticket or he withdraws. Wikipedia lists Assemblyman Ron Kim as "interested" in the position of lt. governor and I think he'd be a very solid pick. From New York City, a progressive and outspoken Cuomo-critic. And if diversity is important, he's Asian as well. As for the African American community, at least Tish James is running on the Democratic ticket for the de-facto second most important statewide office.

Personally, if I were Hochul, I'd offer the #2 spot on my ticket to either Suozzi or Williams to try and reduce the field running against me.

Neither would take it, and neither would add that much to the ticket anyway. Williams is too far left and seems rather divisive, and Suozzi comes off as a clown and is not liberal enough.

I think Ron Kim would be a pretty good and balanced second-in-command, or Biaggi if she wasn't running for congress already.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1328 on: March 29, 2022, 07:35:18 PM »

Despite New York's comically horrific politics in both parties, from the sleaze of the NYDP to the cops can do no wrong remember what they did on 9/11 NYGOP, NY is still a place to do business despite the high taxes and rent. If every Wall Street firm moved South, which they are doing, but if Broad Street and Wall Street became empty, then NY as a whole would be in trouble.

It be perfect for a Tom Golisano-type third party to come in and save NY if Cuomo runs.

Cuomo would probably pull a Connecticut for Lieberman type third party and try to take votes from Hochul.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1329 on: March 29, 2022, 07:48:39 PM »

Ruben Diaz Sr. would probably endorse Cuomo....

He's campaigning for him

https://vimeo.com/689351336?ref=tw-share
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1330 on: March 30, 2022, 03:45:14 AM »

At this point, if Cuomo runs (which I don't think is particularly likely at this point), he'll do it as a third-party run.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1331 on: March 31, 2022, 09:47:09 AM »

At this point, if Cuomo runs (which I don't think is particularly likely at this point), he'll do it as a third-party run.

You mean on purpose to hand Zeldin the Governor's Mansion on a silver platter with 40-44% of the vote? Or at least give Hochul a run for her money?
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #1332 on: March 31, 2022, 01:47:24 PM »

You mean on purpose to hand Zeldin the Governor's Mansion on a silver platter with 40-44% of the vote? Or at least give Hochul a run for her money?
This is what I hope happens
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1333 on: March 31, 2022, 02:07:57 PM »

This is what I hope happens

If anything, Cuomo would run in the Democratic primaries only. And honestly, I'm not sure how much support Cuomo would gain as independent. I could see Hochul (or any Democrat) still pulling it off in a result like 48-42-10%. The absolute ceiling for a Republican probably around 43%. After 2006, a Republican only got even 40% of the vote, which was Astorino in 2014. He still lost by 14%, despite third party candidates having high support.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1334 on: March 31, 2022, 02:26:53 PM »

It’s worth noting that political vetting isn’t as easy as clicking a button saying ‘reveal bad info’.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1335 on: March 31, 2022, 04:26:49 PM »

Hochul will still win even if Cuomo ran third party, although it will be a disappointing victory.
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #1336 on: March 31, 2022, 05:12:19 PM »

Heard Cuomo is announcing tomorrow from someone who works for Hochul. No further details.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1337 on: March 31, 2022, 06:18:15 PM »

Heard Cuomo is announcing tomorrow from someone who works for Hochul. No further details.
Based! If Zeldin wins that's good, but also if Cuomo wins it would be hilarious and I would be all for that.
Still doubt your source though, there's not much time for signatures.
Duke of York

« Reply #1338 on: March 31, 2022, 06:36:52 PM »

I hope no one signs his petitions and no one gathers them. I have doubts he will win the primary but that poll didn’t give me much hope.  We’re cuomo to get the nod he would be liability for Democrats nationwide. I wish there was a way to refuse him ballot access.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1339 on: March 31, 2022, 08:47:15 PM »

I hope no one signs his petitions and no one gathers them. I have doubts he will win the primary but that poll didn’t give me much hope.  We’re cuomo to get the nod he would be liability for Democrats nationwide. I wish there was a way to refuse him ballot access.

If he did win, I'm willing to bet he'd be impeached immediately.
Duke of York

« Reply #1340 on: March 31, 2022, 09:02:26 PM »

If Cuomo does run all remaining bridges he has in the party would be gone, Few donors would give him any money and Hochul would run devastating ads against him featuring his accusers. I have doubts he'd remain even remotely competitive in the primary.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1341 on: April 01, 2022, 07:43:30 AM »

That’d be hilarious
Duke of York

« Reply #1342 on: April 01, 2022, 07:50:59 AM »

That’d be hilarious

No it wouldn't be. We don't need to go through that. It would better if he just goes away. If anyone comes to my door with signatures for him I will refuse to say it and tell them they must think very little of themselves to carry signatures for a sexual predator. Would it be a crime to deface the entire page?
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #1343 on: April 01, 2022, 08:18:59 AM »

If he does run, I’ll dedicate at least one post a week to an anti-Cuomo rant
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1344 on: April 01, 2022, 08:39:28 AM »

April fools joke, right?

BUT if true, I predict Suozzi will immediately drop out and endorse Cuomo, perhaps running for lt. gov. with him.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1345 on: April 01, 2022, 01:41:33 PM »

April fools joke, right?

BUT if true, I predict Suozzi will immediately drop out and endorse Cuomo, perhaps running for lt. gov. with him.

It might be a joke, though I have a gut feeling Cuomo may actually make a late entry in a quest to win the Democratic primary. He's probably going to lose, but it would be pretty ugly and an unnecessary battle for Hochul to fight.
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #1346 on: April 01, 2022, 02:57:48 PM »

I'd vote for Larry Sharpe, Howie Hawkins, the inevitable separate WFP candidate, Andrew Yang, or Martin Babinec before voting for Cuomo.
Duke of York

« Reply #1347 on: April 01, 2022, 07:18:25 PM »

April fools joke, right?

It might be a joke, though I have a gut feeling Cuomo may actually make a late entry in a quest to win the Democratic primary. He's probably going to lose, but it would be pretty ugly and an unnecessary battle for Hochul to fight.

I think it was. Its to late to jump in now. Petition sheets have to be printed and and signatures gathered by April 7th from across the state. You need a legion of people in every county willing to do that.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1348 on: April 01, 2022, 08:49:01 PM »

This race can be one of the closest Gov race in NY History, I expect Hochul to win but it won't be a landslide, I would be shocked if Hochul does lose like we were all shocked I'm an R wave Quinn lost but in an R plus 5 Environment IL, NY or Cali can flip Newsom had such high Approvals during Recall now they are 47%

If the recall were held today Newsom would not have 51 to avoid defeat
Duke of York

« Reply #1349 on: April 01, 2022, 09:06:16 PM »

This race can be one of the closest Gov race in NY History, I expect Hochul to win but it won't be a landslide, I would be shocked if Hochul does lose like we were all shocked I'm an R wave Quinn lost but in an R plus 5 Environment IL, NY or Cali can flip Newsom had such high Approvals during Recall now they are 47%

If the recall were held today Newsom would not have 51 to avoid defeat
Neither Hochul or Newsom is losing.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies