NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:26:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 80
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 112853 times)
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: October 28, 2021, 12:00:30 PM »

If James doesn't charge Trump or a family member she's not winning the primary.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #1076 on: October 28, 2021, 12:33:03 PM »

If Hochul can hold her own in NYC and James gets blown out Upstate, James is done.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1077 on: October 28, 2021, 12:35:43 PM »

Boooo!

I used to like James as Attorney General, but jumping in this race is just an ego trip at this point. Yes, everyone is free to run for whatever post in a democracy, I just don't see a compelling argument to run against the first female governor that has just taken office, begun to clean up Albany and already done a very good job. In Williams' case, you can at least argue larger ideological differences as reason why he's likely to enter the race. James probably just thinks it's her turn now that Cuomo is gone. She could have stayed on as respected Attorney General with a complete safe reelection instead of causing an unncessary primary battle and waste millions of dollars for pure ego reasons. I hope Kathy Hochul destroys anyone who's running against her pretty badly. So... let's go, Kathy, give them hell!
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #1078 on: October 28, 2021, 01:39:38 PM »

If she jumps in, there will be bad optics since she was tasked with investigating Cuomo.

While Hochul benefited from Cuomo's resignation, she largely kept out of the limelight during it.

James should remain as AG until a house or senate seat opens up for her, or Biden (or the Justice Dept) finds an appointment for her.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1079 on: October 29, 2021, 09:08:06 AM »

My suspicion is that James always planned on running 4 gov in 2026 after Cuomo would likely retire. State AGs have often been frontrunners for the top job in an open race, see Cuomo himself and Spitzer before. Then after the harassment scandal surfaced, it was widely expected Cuomo would never resign or be impeached and consequently open up a chance for her to run against the scandal plagued incumbent (remember they were considered allies in 2018). That would have been the most formidable primary challenge for him. Now that the dude is gone, James had just 2 options: Run anyway to get the job she long wanted, or essentially end her ambitions for said position. If Hochul is retained for a full term, it's reasonable to assume she'll run again in 2026 and retire after a 2nd full term. So we're tlaking about 2030 here, and that's too late for James as she will be 72 (like Hochul). She'll be old news then and younger candidates aim to become gov, perhaps from the House bench or Lt. Gov. Brian Benjamin. Challenging Hochul in 2026 (if she runs again) is harder than 2022. So for James it's either now or never.

That said, I didn't expect James to run after Cuomo's resignation was announced. Needless to say the state is Safe D no matter what, question is whether this primary battle is useful for the party (for sure I would prefer her running 4 reelection as AG and/or replace Garland, who has been a disappointing AG). For Hochul and James, their careers are pretty much at stake because the losing candidate will be finished. Williams can still run for the House or another statewide post later on. DeBlasio is done anyways.
Duke of York

« Reply #1080 on: October 29, 2021, 10:54:10 AM »

as much as I like James and wanted to see her run for Governor at some point ill be voting for Hochul in June. I see no reason to oust her after only a few months in the position and doing a great job thus far.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1081 on: October 29, 2021, 11:25:35 AM »

but why
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1082 on: October 29, 2021, 12:46:20 PM »

A primary with James, Williams, and DeBlasio all running at the same time would certainly work to Hochul's advantage. Her opposition is divided.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1083 on: October 29, 2021, 12:48:36 PM »

Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1084 on: October 29, 2021, 12:54:13 PM »

If James doesn't indict Trump or a Trump family member she's not winning.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1085 on: October 29, 2021, 02:13:48 PM »

I mean, Trump and members of his family most likely deserve indictments, but these decisions shouldn't be made under any political influence or personal electoral prospects. Even though Trump certainly would do so, it undermines trust in the legal system and its indepedence.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1086 on: October 29, 2021, 02:31:04 PM »

I mean, Trump and members of his family most likely deserve indictments, but these decisions shouldn't be made under any political influence or personal electoral prospects. Even though Trump certainly would do so, it undermines trust in the legal system and its indepedence.

I'm not saying they should be based on this.  I'm just stating a fact.  If she doesn't do it (despite the overwhelming evidence that they committed crimes) then she won't win.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #1087 on: October 29, 2021, 03:33:34 PM »

A bit disappointing to see one of the most effective state AG's in my lifetime vacate her office for what will be a major uphill battle. Hopefully her successor (ideally Teachout) is able to continue her great work.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1088 on: October 29, 2021, 09:08:35 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2021, 09:18:05 PM by brucejoel99 »

My suspicion is that James always planned on running 4 gov in 2026 after Cuomo would likely retire. State AGs have often been frontrunners for the top job in an open race, see Cuomo himself and Spitzer before. Then after the harassment scandal surfaced, it was widely expected Cuomo would never resign or be impeached and consequently open up a chance for her to run against the scandal plagued incumbent (remember they were considered allies in 2018). That would have been the most formidable primary challenge for him. Now that the dude is gone, James had just 2 options: Run anyway to get the job she long wanted, or essentially end her ambitions for said position. If Hochul is retained for a full term, it's reasonable to assume she'll run again in 2026 and retire after a 2nd full term. So we're tlaking about 2030 here, and that's too late for James as she will be 72 (like Hochul). She'll be old news then and younger candidates aim to become gov, perhaps from the House bench or Lt. Gov. Brian Benjamin. Challenging Hochul in 2026 (if she runs again) is harder than 2022. So for James it's either now or never.

I don't see why it's really now-or-never for her. She could've just coasted on as state A.G. & even at 72 in 2030 (which blows me the f**k away to think about because she currently looks amazing for 63), she'd still be one of the biggest names to get in, presuming that she'd still be the incumbent A.G. After all, a 78-year-old just got elected to the literal presidency, & he's already said that he'll seek a 2nd-term at 82. If a 2030 primary were to consist of the likes of James, Benjamin, & Adams, you'd have to think that James would be the favorite or, at least, co-frontrunner with Benjamin, presuming that Adams continues the tradition of all NYC mayors being unelectable dumpster fires by the end of their term.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1089 on: October 29, 2021, 09:18:38 PM »

A bit disappointing to see one of the most effective state AG's in my lifetime vacate her office for what will be a major uphill battle. Hopefully her successor (ideally Teachout) is able to continue her great work.

I'll take one AG Teachout PLEASE.

Also of note, FWIW, de Blasio has found himself moved to "Announcement Pending" on Wikipedia.

I don't see him standing a chance against James though. Let alone a crowded field of progressives. Things are looking good for Hochul early, but  NY Gov primaries heat up quickly.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1090 on: October 29, 2021, 09:25:30 PM »

Sidenote: Not feeling the odd Tish James logo (any meaning to the big red ball I'm not getting?), but have a feeling she'll do well here in Buffalo.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1091 on: October 29, 2021, 09:27:56 PM »

Sidenote: Not feeling the odd Tish James logo (any meaning to the big red ball I'm not getting?), but have a feeling she'll do well here in Buffalo.

Why do you have a feeling that James will do well in literal Hochul country?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1092 on: October 29, 2021, 10:36:17 PM »

Why do you have a feeling that James will do well in literal Hochul country?

She's from here, sure, but I could see Tish getting the India Walton momentum and then some. Depends on how Hochul campaigns tbh.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1093 on: October 30, 2021, 11:25:46 AM »

Jesus… imagine accepting an endorsement from these crooks. I’ll be supporting Hochul if this is the alternative.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1094 on: October 31, 2021, 03:46:21 AM »

Jesus… imagine accepting an endorsement from these crooks. I’ll be supporting Hochul if this is the alternative.

What's the exact issue with this union?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1095 on: October 31, 2021, 08:00:53 AM »

Although Cuomo is a reprehensible human being and it was absolutely necessary to remove him from office, it does seem to me that James is an opportunist. Running for the Governorship, so soon after those scandals? And against an incumbent who is not controversial and has been governing as a Generic Democrat? I don't understand it. James would have been well-advised to run for reelection as Attorney General instead.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1096 on: October 31, 2021, 11:09:59 AM »

Although Cuomo is a reprehensible human being and it was absolutely necessary to remove him from office, it does seem to me that James is an opportunist. Running for the Governorship, so soon after those scandals? And against an incumbent who is not controversial and has been governing as a Generic Democrat? I don't understand it. James would have been well-advised to run for reelection as Attorney General instead.

Yup, completely agree.

In retrospect that makes me wonder whether James indeed welcomed Cuomo's harassment and nursing home scandals for her own political gain. For sure Cuomo deserved to be investigated for said missconduct and I'd never say these scandals were fabricated, BUT at least James saw them as an opportunity for her political career. That's why I tend to believe she never expected Cuomo to resign in the first place (neither did I or most posters in this forum) and then run a strong primary challenge against a scandal plagued incumbent. Now that the corrupt dude is gone, she wants to move forward anyways and thinks Hochul is vulnerable since she's not an elected gov and kind of underperformed against Williams in the lt. gov. primary in 2018.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #1097 on: October 31, 2021, 01:08:40 PM »

Hochul is a popular incumbent with no major scandals. I don’t see Letitia successfully primarying her, and as Caltharina950 stated, she should’ve just ran for re-election as AG.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1098 on: November 01, 2021, 04:47:20 AM »

I wonder whether Eric Adams will make an endorsement in this race? He's ideologically possibly closer to Hochul, but has ties to the black community outside Manhattan. However, not all black leaders automatically rally behind James. Hochul already secured the endorsement of Hazel Dukes, who seems to be a local black icon and was present at Brian Benjamin's presentation as lt. governor nominee.

Hochul just campaigned with Adams:

BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #1099 on: November 01, 2021, 09:47:31 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies