NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:49:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 80
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 112811 times)
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: September 30, 2021, 05:04:07 PM »

If James stays out, and no other Democrats other than Juumane Williams runs, I'd probably pick Williams to win the primary, unless Hochul moves dramatically to the left.

She's in a very similar position to Kirsten Gillibrand in 2010, and she might not have the National Establishment backing her up, since Biden will be under pressure to stay out of the race, and the left wing of the party, especially AOC, will back Williams anyways.

Not convinced. Hochul would have very solid support in the suburbs in a one-on-one primary vs. Williams, and I don't think NYC alone is enough to win a statewide primary yet. She's also been sounding the right notes for a primary so far; despite her reputation as a centrist among the very highly politically engaged, I don't think the public sees her that way. Maybe Williams could start being competitive if he wins endorsements from some Upstate city politicians and can keep the margins down in the urban counties Upstate, but Hochul already has at least Buffalo locked up.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #1026 on: September 30, 2021, 05:23:45 PM »

Jumaane is awesome and I fully endorse him. That being said, he's going to lose until other prominent Dems run and he squeaks by off a plurality.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1027 on: September 30, 2021, 08:46:28 PM »

Jumaane is awesome and I fully endorse him. That being said, he's going to lose until other prominent Dems run and he squeaks by off a plurality.

Actually, Williams probably does best in a 1v1. Hochul has 30ish% of the primary on lock just by being an Upstate Democrat and examining past primary turnout and voting patterns from said region. By being governor she likely has a few more percent just from incumbency. So she it much more likely to just hit the natural plurality if there are 2 or more Downstate challengers rather than one New York City Democrat vs one from Upstate.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #1028 on: September 30, 2021, 10:28:18 PM »

James delivered a "stump speech" at a gathering of NYC bigwigs.

Also, Ross Barkan brings up the idea that Juaanee should be making another run for Lieutenant Governor, not the top job. It makes sense imo - if James runs, she likely kills his strength with downstate blacks, and Benjamin looks like a weak candidate (he finished third in his own Senate district while running for comptroller ffs). 
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1029 on: October 01, 2021, 02:14:53 AM »

Great news!

May the great people of New York finally get support a governor that backs Democrats.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1030 on: October 01, 2021, 06:13:51 AM »

Great news!

May the great people of New York finally get support a governor that backs Democrats.

I assume you will not support Hochul if she wins the primary.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1031 on: October 01, 2021, 01:02:32 PM »

Great news!

¿Qué? IIRC, Hochul vehemently hated the IDC. She was just muzzled from speaking about it by her then-boss who didn't.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1032 on: October 01, 2021, 01:31:58 PM »

Great news!

¿Qué? IIRC, Hochul vehemently hated the IDC. She was just muzzled from speaking about it by her then-boss who didn't.

I'm talking about her refusal to endorse Walton.
Duke of York

« Reply #1033 on: October 01, 2021, 02:08:32 PM »

Great news!

Is she obligated to?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1034 on: October 01, 2021, 02:25:50 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2021, 04:45:29 PM by Everywhere at the End of America »

Great news!

Is she obligated to?

I mean, Buffalo is her home and she's the Democratic nominee. I guarantee you if Brown won and Walton was running a write-in Hochul would be singing a different tune.

But then again since you hate Walton so much you praised a corrupt Trump lackey this is going to fall on deaf ears.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1035 on: October 01, 2021, 03:46:35 PM »

Hochul has done a tremendous job so far. I think she'd beat Williams pretty easily. James is still a very strong challenger, if she chooses to run. She may end up hanging around at AG and biding her time for now though.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #1036 on: October 01, 2021, 04:54:12 PM »

Great news!

Is she obligated to?

I mean, Buffalo is her home and she's the Democratic nominee. I guarantee you if Brown won and Walton was running a write-in Hochul would be singing a different tune.

But then again since you hate Walton so much you praised a corrupt Trump lackey this is going to fall on deaf ears.

Walton is obviously the right candidate for any Dem to support in that race, but I think it's a little unreasonable to expect a brand new, unelected Governor with limited political capital to wade into a messy mayoral race in a city in a politically non-dominant region of the state...
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1037 on: October 02, 2021, 03:57:10 AM »

Hochul has done a tremendous job so far. I think she'd beat Williams pretty easily. James is still a very strong challenger, if she chooses to run. She may end up hanging around at AG and biding her time for now though.

Well, the last poll and only of value was conducted between Cuomo's announcement to resign and before he actually left. Hochul was already ahead against any challenger(s). Not sure it means much, though even in the not so likely case James runs, Hochul still can win easily. Especially with support from heaviyweights Schumer, Gillibrand and the Clintons. Why should the Democrats even abandon the first woman in the office who's running a scandal-free administration and with a totally different leadership style than Cuomo? Furthermore, James would gamble with a gubernatorial bid since she can't run for her current job at the same time, in which her reelection would be assured.

I think Kathy is also the best candidate for the general election. Even though no Democrat is endangered to lose, Hochul is the best choice to halt or reverse Upstate Democratic losses (especially with Schumer on the same ballot). It's not necessarily a good thing for governor to only get elected by New York City.

I still hope she can run unopposed; just like Brian Benjamin. Not sure anyone has expressed in interest in challenging him?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #1038 on: October 02, 2021, 07:20:15 AM »

Great news!

Let's see how many new Democrats are sent to Congress with the new Congressional map. She's already said she's ready to play ball on redistricting.

She does appear to have tacked to the left since becoming Governor, as well she should. She's governing the entire state of New York now. I have to say that I'm really impressed with her so far. She takes her job very seriously and isn't going to be a grandstander. For her, this is likely the culmination of her career, the job she really wants. I don't think she's looking to run for Senate or the White House. I also saw her announcement that New York would be a safe haven for women exercising their right to choose, particularly to those in Texas right now.
Duke of York

« Reply #1039 on: October 02, 2021, 10:17:23 AM »

Well, the last poll and only of value was conducted between Cuomo's announcement to resign and before he actually left. Hochul was already ahead against any challenger(s). Not sure it means much, though even in the not so likely case James runs, Hochul still can win easily. Especially with support from heaviyweights Schumer, Gillibrand and the Clintons. Why should the Democrats even abandon the first woman in the office who's running a scandal-free administration and with a totally different leadership style than Cuomo? Furthermore, James would gamble with a gubernatorial bid since she can't run for her current job at the same time, in which her reelection would be assured.

I think Kathy is also the best candidate for the general election. Even though no Democrat is endangered to lose, Hochul is the best choice to halt or reverse Upstate Democratic losses (especially with Schumer on the same ballot). It's not necessarily a good thing for governor to only get elected by New York City.

I still hope she can run unopposed; just like Brian Benjamin. Not sure anyone has expressed in interest in challenging him?
Its unlikely she's unopposed.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1040 on: October 02, 2021, 11:57:31 PM »

Larry Sharpe announces "probable" campaign with the Libertarian Party.

Duke of York

« Reply #1041 on: October 04, 2021, 03:38:15 PM »

https://abc7ny.com/jay-jacobs-kathy-hochul-letitia-james-andrew-cuomo/11079467/

State Party Chair Jay Jacobs endorses Hochul.
JMT

« Reply #1042 on: October 06, 2021, 11:30:16 AM »

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1043 on: October 06, 2021, 12:20:23 PM »

So there probably aren't the voters to make de Blasio the Nom - all mayors end up unpopular both outside and inside their constituency and de Blasio is no exception. However him getting in alongside one of the downstate African Americans probably means the field is divided enough that Hochul can win just on incumbency and sweeping upstate.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1044 on: October 06, 2021, 01:05:35 PM »

So there probably aren't the voters to make de Blasio the Nom - all mayors end up unpopular both outside and inside their constituency and de Blasio is no exception. However him getting in alongside one of the downstate African Americans probably means the field is divided enough that Hochul can win just on incumbency and sweeping upstate.

Yeah, De Blasio would probably drain New York City voters from Jumaane Williams in a multiway race.

In a scenario where De Blasio somehow forces Williams out of the race, he'd get flattened by Hochul. He has no constituency at all, and this is one of the few scenarios where Hochul carries all five boroughs.

De Blasio's better off running for a downballot office like Lieutenant Governor or trying to run for a House seat in 2022 (his old City Council seat is currently in Nydia Velazquez's district, and there's a possibility it ends up in either Jerrod Nadler or Nicole Malliotakis's district after redistricting).

In fact, if he carpetbagged over to Malliotakis's seat regardless of redistricting, given Democrats are almost certainly going to gerrymander that seat into a very Democratic district, I think De Blasio would beat Malliotakis if he won the primary.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1045 on: October 06, 2021, 01:06:55 PM »

Never let it be said that de Blasio doesn't have a fetish for humiliating shame, because he clearly does.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1046 on: October 06, 2021, 01:09:25 PM »

Yeah, De Blasio would probably drain New York City voters from Jumaane Williams in a multiway race.

In a scenario where De Blasio somehow forces Williams out of the race, he'd get flattened by Hochul. He has no constituency at all, and this is one of the few scenarios where Hochul carries all five boroughs.

De Blasio's better off running for a downballot office like Lieutenant Governor or trying to run for a House seat in 2022 (his old City Council seat is currently in Nydia Velazquez's district, and there's a possibility it ends up in either Jerrod Nadler or Nicole Malliotakis's district after redistricting).

In fact, if he carpetbagged over to Malliotakis's seat regardless of redistricting, given Democrats are almost certainly going to gerrymander that seat into a very Democratic district, I think De Blasio would beat Malliotakis if he won the primary.

Do you really think even in a new district, de Blasio would beat Malliotakis? In Staten Island? I see Malliotakis getting a South Shore Seat and Debi Rose, the soon to be outgoing North Shore Councilwoman getting a North Shore congressional district, furthering the Staten Island racial divide.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1047 on: October 06, 2021, 01:11:42 PM »

Do you really think even in a new district, de Blasio would beat Malliotakis? In Staten Island? I see Malliotakis getting a South Shore Seat and Debi Rose, the soon to be outgoing North Shore Councilwoman getting a North Shore congressional district, furthering the Staten Island racial divide.

I disagree. I think the Staten Island district is going to take in more Brooklyn precincts from one or both of Nydia Velazquez and Jerrod Nadler, making the district signficantly more Democratic, and increasing the chances of a Brooklyn based candidate like De Blasio (his old City Council District was based in Park Slope) beating Malliotakis in 2022.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1048 on: October 06, 2021, 03:00:49 PM »

Saw this in the NY Post first, though now confirmed by other sources. Clearly shows how Cuomo is a disloyal POS. So good that he's out.

Also seems she's not concerned about DeBlasio:

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1049 on: October 07, 2021, 12:52:29 PM »

De Blasio accused of misusing NYPD funds, a security detail

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio treated his New York Police Department-provided security detail like a "concierge service" that drove around his son, staff members and guests even when he was not in the car and helped his daughter move out of her apartment, the city's Department of Investigation alleged in a report released Thursday.

The investigative report by the city’s anti-corruption watchdog also accused the mayor of failing to reimburse the more than $300,000 his security detail spent on travel outside New York City during de Blasio's unsuccessful 2020 run for president.

"Protecting the mayor and his family is a serious and significant job that should be guided by best practices, formalized procedures, and an understanding that security details are not personal assistants in a dignitary's daily life but provide essential protection," DOI Commissioner Margaret Garnett said.

The NYPD inspector in charge of the Executive Protection Unit, Howard Redmond, "sought to obstruct" the investigation by refusing to turn over a City Hall-issued phone, trying to destroy his NYPD-issued phone and demonstrating a "lack of candor" during an interview, the report claims.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies