NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:02:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 80
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 112073 times)
Duke of York

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2020, 04:23:30 PM »
« edited: October 14, 2020, 04:30:00 PM by Duke of York »

If that happens, and Hochul becomes Governor, I'd bet that either she doesn't run, or she loses the primary to someone to her left (AOC, De Blasio, possibly Souzzi)
Hochul would definitely run. I don't see De Blasio winning a statewide primary. Hes not popular. I dont think AOC has any interest in being governor. Suozzi isn't to Hochul's left but I could see him running. Tish James could possibly primary Hochul.

Doubt James would do this. They're from the same lane within the party. She's running for her current position again. Otherwise, I fully agree.
What makes you think James wouldn't run?

I just don't see her running against an incumbent from the same lane of her party. I could see her running for governor once an incumbent isn't seeking the Democratic nomination. Challenging an incumbent usually requires you to have a major disagreement with him/her or a message why exactly you're the better choice. It's like Cuomo challenging Joe Biden in 2024 in case he runs for reelection. The challenges Cuomo got in 2014 and 2018 were from the progressive wing, and if there is going to be one in 2022 against Cuomo and/or Hochul, it will be a left-winger (who will likely lose again). James, who's doing a great job as attorney general, is from the establishment and Cuomo/Hochul/James literally ran as a "ticket" in the 2018 primaries. Maybe I'm getting this wrong here, but I don't see James challenging an incumbent governor from her party's wing.

That makes sense. I could see James waiting to run in an open seat. She is definitely going to be a candidate for governor in the future.

If Hochul becomes Governor she would definitely run I could see her winning though I could see Williams or Biaggi running a primary against her. New York has never had a female governor nor has a woman ever been nominated for the position.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2020, 09:52:42 AM »

Biaggi primarying Cuomo would be hilarious. She's aggressively oikophobic whereas her grandfather was the public personification of ethnic conservative police "crack their skulls" mentality in 1968. Glowing profiles of Mario Biaggi the "Supercop" in every New York paper. Just mention his record once and she'll lose her mind. Cuomo will roll over her.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2020, 04:05:15 PM »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8844413/Cuomo-says-religious-practices-Orthodox-Jewish-areas-blame-Covid-spread.html

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has said 'religious practices' within Orthodox Jewish communities has caused the renewed spread of Covid-19 in New York City and other hot spot zones within the state.

Cuomo said that while the overall infection rate in New York was low compared to other states, officials are closely watching 'mini clusters' that have popped up to avoid any statewide spikes.

He singled out hotspot neighborhoods across New York City and other parts of the state that are largely Orthodox Jewish strongholds.

'We're now having issues with the Orthodox Jewish community in New York where, because of their religious practices etc, we're seeing a spread,' Cuomo said in an interview with CNN on Wednesday. 

While I agree with Cuomo, he could have worded that better.

Could someone from the Orthodox Jewish community challenge Cuomo, either in a primary or general election, like Simcha Felder, Dov Hikind, Simcha Eichenstein or someone else, and how would they do, either in a primary or a general election?
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2020, 04:21:15 PM »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8844413/Cuomo-says-religious-practices-Orthodox-Jewish-areas-blame-Covid-spread.html

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has said 'religious practices' within Orthodox Jewish communities has caused the renewed spread of Covid-19 in New York City and other hot spot zones within the state.

Cuomo said that while the overall infection rate in New York was low compared to other states, officials are closely watching 'mini clusters' that have popped up to avoid any statewide spikes.

He singled out hotspot neighborhoods across New York City and other parts of the state that are largely Orthodox Jewish strongholds.

'We're now having issues with the Orthodox Jewish community in New York where, because of their religious practices etc, we're seeing a spread,' Cuomo said in an interview with CNN on Wednesday. 

Could someone from the Orthodox Jewish community challenge Cuomo, either in a primary or general election, like Simcha Felder, Dov Hikind, Simcha Eichenstein or someone else, and how would they do, either in a primary or a general election?

They've got Hogan 2024's vote.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2020, 04:30:04 PM »

They've got Hogan 2024's vote.

Thanks, Corbynite.

Cuomo's statement isn't great, although it's nowhere near De Blasio's speech that sounded better in the original German.

The stories of the type of "enforcement" that's going on in Brooklyn, though...terrifying.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2020, 03:27:00 PM »

I would find a primary between Artemis and West Wind extremely interesting.
Especially the former lives in NYC, whereas the latter comes from Upstate.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #106 on: November 10, 2020, 03:31:30 PM »

Are people actually suggesting primarying Cuomo from the right ITT?

If this actually happens say hello to Governor AOC or someone similar lol, because I guarantee you all that will do is split the centrist vote.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2020, 12:44:59 PM »

Biaggi primarying Cuomo would be hilarious. She's aggressively oikophobic whereas her grandfather was the public personification of ethnic conservative police "crack their skulls" mentality in 1968. Glowing profiles of Mario Biaggi the "Supercop" in every New York paper. Just mention his record once and she'll lose her mind. Cuomo will roll over her.
Just mention Cuomo's name and she'll get cash from gullible progressives. Evidentally she doesnt find life as a State Senator all that appealing.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2020, 05:45:16 AM »

So it looks like Cuomo won't join the Biden Administration? Meh. I demand Governor Kathy Hochul.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2020, 07:28:48 PM »

Cuomo would crush Biaggi.

If AOC ran against him...that would be more interesting.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2020, 07:48:46 PM »

Cuomo wins reelection but by 10-15 points. 2026 he retires, or a Republican wins
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2021, 09:09:18 PM »

Fox News Weather Lady Janice Dean may run.

She could take Suffolk from Cuomo....

https://nypost.com/2021/01/23/fox-news-janice-dean-called-to-run-against-cuomo-in-2022/
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2021, 05:49:19 AM »

Cuomo will probably face more than one challenge this time. The question is whether Hochul and James go uncontested. At least I hope these two will. Too bad Uncle Joe didn't take Cuomo out.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2021, 10:33:24 AM »

That makes sense. I could see James waiting to run in an open seat. She is definitely going to be a candidate for governor in the future.

If Hochul becomes Governor she would definitely run I could see her winning though I could see Williams or Biaggi running a primary against her. New York has never had a female governor nor has a woman ever been nominated for the position.
Stephanie Miner and Betsy McCaughey Ross both got >1%.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2021, 09:26:51 PM »

Cuomo had a pretty bad handling of the pandemic, but that doesn't make the viable alternatives any better. There will be a strong left-wing primary challenge, but Cuomo is still favored. Cuomo is the main force in the way of extreme tax hikes, which would accelerate the outward migration. We are very fortunate that Schumer is Majority Leader, otherwise, the state's finances would be in a more dire situation.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2021, 06:01:39 PM »

I'd put my $ on AOC at this point. She is not gonna do it though. Too cautious (which is why she'd do alright tho)

The only person left who I think could successfully primary Cuomo is Jumaane Williams, and that's only if he was willing (which the left so seldomly is) to go full scorched earth mode. Call Cuomo a murderer for his handling of COVID 19, make sure everyone knows it was Black and Brown people he was killing, highlight his relationship to Wall Street, maybe throw a few pictures of him with Trump into ads and say something like "Andrew Cuomo's Old Boys Club: It's a big one but you ain't in it."

He's not undefeatable, he's an actual moron. But most of his potential challengers are too (Cynthia Nixon stay home!)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2021, 08:29:41 PM »

I'd put my $ on AOC at this point. She is not gonna do it though. Too cautious (which is why she'd do alright tho)

The only person left who I think could successfully primary Cuomo is Jumaane Williams, and that's only if he was willing (which the left so seldomly is) to go full scorched earth mode. Call Cuomo a murderer for his handling of COVID 19, make sure everyone knows it was Black and Brown people he was killing, highlight his relationship to Wall Street, maybe throw a few pictures of him with Trump into ads and say something like "Andrew Cuomo's Old Boys Club: It's a big one but you ain't in it."

He's not undefeatable, he's an actual moron. But most of his potential challengers are too (Cynthia Nixon stay home!)
Jumaane is running, nobody else (of significance) will.

And Cuomo will (very sadly) destroy him.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2021, 11:04:48 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2021, 11:10:27 PM by MAGugh »

A "growing number" of Republicans are calling for Fox News Weatherwoman Janice Dean to run against Cuomo, and she's been endorsed by Megyn Kelly. Notable that she's releasing a book this March as well, though it appears to be apolitical.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/23/fox-news-janice-dean-called-to-run-against-cuomo-in-2022/

I could see her doing REALLY well in Western and Upstate NY, but she'll get destroyed elsewhere. Cuomo wins by a wider margin than he did in 2018.

I'd say the fact that she's the only potential GOP nominee with a major national presence makes her the frontrunner by far, compared to Carpinelli and Gibson.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2021, 11:12:47 PM »

A "growing number" of Republicans are calling for Fox News Weatherwoman Janice Dean to run against Cuomo, and she's been endorsed by Megyn Kelly. Notable that she's releasing a book this March as well, though it appears to be apolitical.

I could see her doing REALLY well in Western and Upstate NY, but she'll get destroyed elsewhere. Cuomo wins by a wider margin than he did in 2018.

I'd say the fact that she's the only potential GOP nominee with a major national presence makes her the frontrunner by far, compared to Carpinelli and Gibson.

Why does Cuomo win by a larger margin than in '18? Because she is from Fox News?

Also, she would destroy Cuomo on Long Island...the suburban soccer moms would like her.

Cuomo would still win by 10-15 points, but Dean would be his biggest challenge because she has no political baggage. Her husband is a FDNY firefighter, and she'd win the police/fire votes.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2021, 10:35:23 AM »

Why does Cuomo win by a larger margin than in '18? Because she is from Fox News?

Also, she would destroy Cuomo on Long Island...the suburban soccer moms would like her.

Cuomo would still win by 10-15 points, but Dean would be his biggest challenge because she has no political baggage. Her husband is a FDNY firefighter, and she'd win the police/fire votes.

Her arguments against him seem far more baseless and weaker than Molinaro's, and while being an outsider could be a benefit in some cases, I don't see her going from weather news to navigating the county-level politics in a way that leads to her having a good performance.

She'll try to do the "Trump" thing and just completely flop.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2021, 10:50:42 AM »

Is there a chance Cuomo faces legal scrutiny over this nursing home incident? If so, Dems could force him out not to run again or even his resignation.
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2021, 12:41:03 PM »

Is there a chance Cuomo faces legal scrutiny over this nursing home incident? If so, Dems could force him out not to run again or even his resignation.

my understanding was that either DOJ or NYAG was looking at it. Hope I'm not off base.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2021, 10:05:16 PM »

Janice Dean was on Fox recently with State GOP Chairman Nick Langworthy discussing the nursing home controversy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSmtSufS8jQ

Looks like the nomination is hers to lose.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #123 on: February 04, 2021, 10:12:38 PM »

Janice Dean was on Fox recently with State GOP Chairman Nick Langworthy discussing the nursing home controversy:

Sure if they want to lose by more than they necessarily could
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2021, 11:08:08 PM »

Sure if they want to lose by more than they necessarily could

She would lose by 10-15 points.

I can see Lee Zeldin pulling a Tim Ryan and realizing that his seat may be axed due to the Census and run for statewide office--governor or AG---most likely.

If Zeldin runs and picks Dean as his LG, they would still lose.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies