If someone could travel back in time to 1791 and tell all the founding father...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:02:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  If someone could travel back in time to 1791 and tell all the founding father...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If someone could travel back in time to 1791 and tell all the founding father...  (Read 724 times)
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2019, 06:45:34 PM »

"That in 2 centuries, the US would unambiguously become the most powerful Country in the world", how do you think each of them would have reacted. Considering that many of them had no expectation of the US becoming a powerful Country at all, most of which expected the Country to become mostly isolationist, it would surely be a surprise to them.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 07:51:00 PM »

I think it actually wouldn’t shock them that much.  “Greater America” was always thought to have near unlimited potential, and I think a unified USA was only going to continue to become a player.  None of this is to say that our timeline was the most likely outcome or anything, but I think it would be seen as feasible.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 01:22:16 AM »

I think it actually wouldn’t shock them that much.  “Greater America” was always thought to have near unlimited potential, and I think a unified USA was only going to continue to become a player.  None of this is to say that our timeline was the most likely outcome or anything, but I think it would be seen as feasible.

Yea, true. In a alternate history Latin America might unify as one country ,while the US breaks up into petty regional fiefdoms. That Latin American giant might declare the equivalent of the Monroe doctrine in the Americas and force them to be their in their sphere of influence.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 03:12:48 PM »

"That in 2 centuries, the US would unambiguously become the most powerful Country in the world", how do you think each of them would have reacted. Considering that many of them had no expectation of the US becoming a powerful Country at all, most of which expected the Country to become mostly isolationist, it would surely be a surprise to them.

They generally expected it, read Common Sense where Paine again and again highlights the absurdity in his view of an entire continent being governed by an island:

The sun never shined on a cause of greater worth. 'Tis not the affair of a city, a country, a province, or a kingdom, but of a continent-- of at least one eighth part of the habitable globe. 'Tis not the concern of a day, a year, or an age; posterity are virtually involved in the contest, and will be more or less affected, even to the end of time, by the proceedings now. Now is the seed time of continental union, faith and honor.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies