Gov Story
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 06:33:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Gov Story
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Gov Story  (Read 2430 times)
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2019, 04:47:33 PM »
« edited: August 28, 2019, 08:24:41 PM by Skunk »

July 17th, 2019

Source: Wikimedia Commons

Scott DesJarlais to Enter TN Senate Race

Scott DesJarlais, the Congressman for Tennessee's 4th congressional district, is expected to publicly announce a run for Senate tomorrow in Murfreesboro. DesJarlais is controversial within the TN GOP for 2000 comments in which he privately told a mistress to get an abortion, and only narrowly survived a primary in his district in 2014. However, DesJarlais is confident that his past remarks will not hurt his chances in the Republican primary.

"I have been forgiven by God and by my constituents," DesJarlais told reporters. "I have always maintained a strong pro-life voting record in the House and I will continue to do so in the Senate."

Scott DesJarlais will face former Tennessee governor Bill Haslam, who announced a run in late May. DesJarlais is hoping to tap into a similar anti-establishment sentiment that allowed Donald Trump to win in 2016. Haslam, however, is dismissing the congressman's challenge.

"The voters of Tennessee have continued to support me for years, they know that I'm a common sense conservative with a track record of getting things done. DesJarlais's personal conduct is disqualifying, and I am positive that majority of Tennesseans agree with me."

Democratic frontrunner Taylor Swift, who is currently the only Democratic candidate running after retired veteran James Mackler dropped out last month due to his daughters supporting Swift over him, has declined to comment. Her upcoming seventh studio album Lover will be released on August 23rd.

July 24th, 2019

2020 Senate Polling

Coronado Polling, a kickstart polling firm that gained notiority last year for being the only pollster to predict TJ Cox's upset defeat of David Valadao, has released exclusive 2020 Senate polls for competitive (and not-so-competitive) races.

Alabama:
Kayla Moore: 54%
Doug Jones (i): 42%
Rating: Likely R (flip)

Alaska:
Dan Sullivan (i): 49%
Mark "Bad Boy" Begich: 44%
Rating: Lean R

Arizona:
Mark Kelly: 49%
Martha McSally (i): 46%
Rating: Tossup

Colorado:
John Hickenlooper: 52%
Cory Gardner (i): 44%

Cory Gardner (i): 43%
Saira Rao: 40%
Undecided/Other: 17%

Georgia:
David Perdue (i): 50%
Teresa Tomlinson: 45%

Kansas:
Nancy Boyda: 64%
Steve Watkins: 29%
Rating: Safe D (flip)

Maine:
Susan Collins (i): 52%
Sara Gideon: 38%

Michigan:
Gary Peters (i): 47%
John James: 44%

North Carolina:
Thom Tillis (i): 48%
Janet Cowell: 46%

South Dakota:
Billie Sutton: 45%
Mike Rounds (i): 44%

Tennessee:
Bill Haslam: 52%
Taylor Swift: 41%

Scott DesJarlais: 47%
Taylor Swift: 44%
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2019, 04:56:19 PM »

Coronado Polling is the gold standard. Looking forward to Nancy Boyda's landslide.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2019, 06:13:02 PM »

Why is David Perdue John Perdue.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2019, 06:23:35 PM »

Mistake. Fixed.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2019, 12:24:45 PM »

Wait, what the hell happened in Kansas?
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2019, 12:38:14 PM »

I will explain in next update.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2019, 02:18:36 PM »

Images have been sourced or replaced with terrible MS Paint drawings. Cheesy
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2019, 03:05:34 PM »

Why, but I want a Loretta Sanchez/Mary Landrieu indy ticket.
You don't see any blue avatars now
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2019, 04:24:01 PM »

Man, I am so distraught re: Cowell trailing.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2019, 04:49:56 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2019, 08:25:25 PM by Skunk »

August 10th, 2019

Bleeding Kansas

"I am going to be brutally honest, the days of GOP dominance in Kansas are over," Kansas GOP chairman Mike Kuckleman addressed a small crowd at a GOP fundraising event last night.

Kansas had long been considered a conservative bastion, home to prominent Republicans such as Alf Landon and Bob Dole. But the Democratic party made significant inroads in 2018 with the elections of Laura Kelly to the governorship and Sharice Davids as the next congresswoman of the 3rd district. The shift of suburban voters to the Democrats has proved devastating for the Kansas GOP, especially after four Republican party legislators switched parties in the aftermath. But what once looked like a minor setback for the GOP, is now catastrophic, and could spell the permanent end for the party's influence over the state.

Claims of both prostitution and lying about military service have embattled Steve Watkins, the incumbent Congressman for the 2nd district and 2020 Senate candidate. Watkins denies the claims and resignation rumors and vows to continue to serve in Congress for the remainder of his term. Three Kansas Republicans have also announced campaigns for Senate in the past two weeks, all of whom are considered controversial in the state.

Kris Kobach, the former Secretary of State and nominee for governor in 2018, announced first on August 2nd. Kobach is divisive for his anti-immigrant rhetoric and numerous legal battles. Former congressman Tim Huelskamp announced shortly afterwards on August 5th, who was ousted in a primary in 2016 and is known for his feud with then Speaker of the House John Boehner. Finally, former governor Sam Brownback launched his campaign on August 8th. Brownback left the governorship with near 70% disapproval ratings and previously occupied Kansas's other Senate seat from 1996 to 2011.

Internal polling shows all four candidates losing in landslide margins to Nancy Boyda, the leading Democratic candidate. Boyda is incredibly popular in the state for her moderate record in Congress, and is heavily favored to win next year.

Current GOP lawmakers have had different reactions to the rapidly changing political tides in Kansas.

Roger Marshall, congressman for the 1st district, will change his party affiliation to Democratic, he confirmed to reporters. Marshall will be the first Democrat to hold the seat since 1955.

"It is clear that Kansas will be a Democratic state for the foreseeable future, and I can serve my constituents best if I am in the House majority," Marshall explained.

Congressman Ron Estes, meanwhile, is standing firm that the GOP will be able to rebuild from this. "Okay, so we'll probably lose one Senate election, so what? The Democrats last won a Senate election in 1932, so if Republicans lose only twice in 90 years, that's a pretty good track record. I think this is all being overblown, I'm not worried."

Private polling also shows Marianne Williamson, Meg Whitman, and Ruth Bader Ginsburg all leading Donald Trump in Kansas by upwards of 40 points. A Democratic candidate for President hasn't won Kansas since Lyndon B. Johnson in 1964.

August 24th, 2019

Taylor Swift releases Lover to commercial and critical success

Singer-songwriter and candidate for U.S. Senate Taylor Swift released her seventh studio album at midnight yesterday. The album is 15 tracks long and has a feature from Grammy-award winning country artists The Dixie Chicks. The album has already received acclaim from critics, receiving an 80 on Metacritic and four stars from Rolling Stone and AllMusic. Lover has already seen 178,600 pre-adds on Apple Music and has broken Target's record for highest selling pre-ordered album of all time, beating out Swift's 2017 album Reputation

"You Need to Calm Down" is not featured on the album. The single, a rap diss track against Bill Haslam and Marsha Blackburn, reached #2 on Billboard, being beaten out by Lil Nas X's "Old Town Road." Swift decided against including it on the album because "it just didn't fit with the other songs." Two more songs, reportedly titled "ME!" and "The Man" are also rumored to have been cut from the album.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2019, 02:28:00 AM »
« Edited: August 25, 2019, 01:18:13 PM by Eli Gorbinsky »

The problem is it's not enough to just give a link. A picture must be free for use and I see nothing indicating they are.

When you have something like "Mark Humphrey / AP Photo", it's rather problematic.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2019, 05:07:42 PM »

August 28th, 2019

Johnny Isakson, the senior Senator of Georgia, will be resigning midway through his third term. He cited health concerns with the reason for his retirement. Georgia Governor Brian Kemp will appoint Isakson's successor, and a special election will be held concurrently with the current 2020 Georgia Senate election. Several names have already been floated for Kemp's possible appointment, including former Congresswoman Karen Handel, Rep. Doug Collins, and attorney general Chris Carr.

Would-be Democratic frontrunner Stacey Abrams, who narrowly lost to Brian Kemp last year in the governor's race, has ruled out a run. Meanwhile, Sarah Riggs Amico has announced that she will shift her campaign from challenging David Perdue to running for the special election. Former Columbus mayor Teresa Tomlinson will continue running in the normally scheduled 2020 election.

Both Georgia Senate seats will be hotly contested.

August 31st, 2019

Seth Moulton and Tulsi Gabbard Exit Presidential Race

The 2020 Democratic primary field got a little smaller today as both Congressman Seth Moulton and Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard were forced to abandon their campaigns for President. The two faced near-impossible odds as neither of them polled above 0% in most polls, though Gabbard insisted that mainstream polls are rigged towards Meg Whitman and that her internals found Gabbard had upwards of 0.6% in support. Both campaigns come to a close for legal reasons.

Seth Moulton was ordered a cease and desist order from a spokesperson for the Korean girl group Blackpink yesterday. Moulton had been playing Blackpink songs at rallies and other campaign events without permission.

"I could have sworn those were LOONA songs," Moulton said during a press conference. "I am, and always have been, a LOONA stan. I don't know how Blackpink songs accidentally got on my playlist. Because of this egregious oversight on my part, however, I will be suspending my campaign for President and endorsing Marianne Williamson. I will seek re-election to Congress, and I hope the voters of Massachusetts will understand that this was a mistake. Stan LOONA."

Tulsi Gabbard, meanwhile, was arrested in a sting operation in California last night. Gabbard was successfully lured into appearing at a fake campaign rally in San Bernardino, California. When Gabbard arrived, she found an empty room and was quickly ambushed by California Attorney General and cop Kamala Harris. An audio transcription of the event was released to the press:

Harris: Aha! Gotcha b*tch!

Gabbard: What the f**k?!

Harris: You're under arrest for insulting me during the Democratic debate!

Gabbard: What are you talking about?! You're not even running in this timeline!

Harris: Enough chit chat, Gabbard. Looks like your campaign is... suspended.

Gabbard: Was that supposed to be a clever cop show line? You're really bad at this.

Harris: Just get in the f**king car.

A spokesman for the Tulsi Gabbard campaign released the following statement shortly afterwards.

"Tulsi's arrest was unjust and we will certainly be working on her behalf to fix this, but for now we are forced to suspend this campaign. Unlike some people still in the race, we know that running a campaign from prison is wrong. We hope that Tulsi will be freed as soon as possible and she can get back to work in Congress soon."

Seth Moulton and Tulsi Gabbard are the second and third candidates respectively to drop out of the 2020 Presidential race. Billie Sutton dropped out in June to instead challenge South Dakota Senator Mike Rounds.

September 3rd, 2019

Meg Whitman Names Former Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear as Running Mate

Once the frontrunner for the nomination, businesswoman Meg Whitman has found herself stuck in third in the polls behind both spiritual self-help author Marianne Williamson and Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. In an attempt to regain crucial momentum, Whitman announced that Steve Beshear would be her running mate should she win the nomination.

"Steve is a good friend of mine, and we will defeat Donald Trump and Mike Pence come 2020," an email sent to her supporters read.

Whitman is not the first to announce her running mate during the primary campaign. Ronald Reagan famously named moderate Pennsylvania Senator Richard Schweiker as his hypothetical Vice President during his unsuccessful 1976 bid for the presidency. More recently, businesswoman and former political ally to Whitman Carly Fiorina was selected to be Cruz's running mate in 2016.

Whitman might not be the first to announce a running mate before the primaries are over, but she is the first to announce a running mate before the primaries have even begun. It is an unprecedented move but the Whitman campaign insists it's already paying off.

"We have already seen a 4% bump in the polls, putting us within striking distance of Williamson and ahead of Ginsburg. People love Steve Beshear!" Whitman told Rachel Maddow on MSNBC.

Other candidates have criticized Whitman, however, saying it is too early to be discussing potential Vice Presidents.

"She's already picking her cabinet and she hasn't even won any primary yet, it's incredibly arrogant," Rahm Emanuel said to a crowd of supporters.

Meg Whitman will most likely be asked about her VP pick during the upcoming September debates. Once again, every candidate will share a single stage regardless of polling numbers. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies