Rate Kentucky (2019)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:39:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rate Kentucky (2019)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Rate the gubernatorial race in Kentucky
Safe Bevin

Likely Bevin

Lean Bevin

Toss-Up/Tilt Bevin

Toss-Up/Tilt Beshear

Lean Beshear

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 102

Author Topic: Rate Kentucky (2019)  (Read 2581 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2019, 01:16:50 PM »

I'm changing my characterization of this race from Likely R --> Lean R. No, not because 60% of votes cast in the primary were Democratic, more so because Bevin got a pathetic margin of victory out of his primary. There's a very real risk of Republicans staying home, Bevin is going to practically beg Trump to come into Kentucky to save his ass. I realize we're a half year out, but all the signs so far confirm Bevin is, in fact, the least popular governor in the country and he performed like it yesterday. Bevin still has a (pathetically) weak advantage going into the general election.

I know there are a few posters sticking to their guns calling it Safe R, but I think you're gonna have egg on your face if this thing ends up close.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 01:19:49 PM »

I remember several months ago someone wrote an opinion column that Beshear's campaign might turn out just like that of Jack Conway in 2015, based on Beshear's campaign style compared to Conway's style.

I'll keep observing this race, but I do see the potential for it to shape out like that.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 01:21:01 PM »

Lean R, for now.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 01:29:36 PM »

Strong Lean R
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 01:33:12 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2019, 01:38:20 PM by KYWildman »

I remember several months ago someone wrote an opinion column that Beshear's campaign might turn out just like that of Jack Conway in 2015, based on Beshear's campaign style compared to Conway's style.

I'll keep observing this race, but I do see the potential for it to shape out like that.

Beshear has at least four things going for him Conway didn’t:

1. He has never lost a statewide race. Conway was tainted by his failed Senate bid against Rand Paul.

2. His name. Steve Beshear won two landslides within the last 12 years, and remains a popular figure in the state.

3. Beshear actually won (albeit narrowly) a statewide race the same year Conway lost to Bevin, 2015, which was generally a really bad turnout year, especially for Democrats. Turnout should actually FAVOR Democrats this year, given both Bevin’s unpopularity and the national partisan climate that should motivate Democrats more.

4. Bevin was still pretty unknown at the time and people were willing to roll the dice on him after eight years of Democratic leadership and a lackluster Democratic candidate. Now, however, people know him, and they HATE him. He IS the least popular governor in the country. Incumbency will be a DISADVANTAGE for him.

Moreover, the state Democratic Party should be pretty united around Beshear, while Bevin’s support is lackluster even among his own party — rank and file voters AND legislators (who have mutinied against Bevin) AND elites (i.e. McConnell, who hasn’t forgotten Bevin tried to primary him) all dislike Bevin.

The man is Kentucky Fried Chicken. Anyone who can’t see that because “muh partisan lean” is woefully ignorant of Kentucky state politics to an embarrassing degree. By the same logic Charlie Baker was doomed to fail in 2018. I would have thought this board of all places would know that state politics do not equal national politics, and this is even more true in certain states (including Kentucky) than others. But I guess the temptation to write Kentucky off as nothing but a bunch of stupid hicks who will vote Republican for every office until the end of time is too strong...

Anyone who is actually voting anything stronger for Bevin than Toss-Up/Tilt Bevin either has their head buried deep in the sand or is so ignorant about the race they shouldn’t be voting in this poll.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 01:39:46 PM »

While Democrats getting more votes overall is irrelevant, the fact that Bevin did so poorly in the primary does give me pause. While I definitely don't want to get my hopes up, and I still think most Republicans will come home for Bevin, I'll acknowledge that there's a chance he could lose, even if it is a Jim Carrey chance. I'll move this from Safe R to Likely R.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 01:42:26 PM »

While Democrats getting more votes overall is irrelevant, the fact that Bevin did so poorly in the primary does give me pause. While I definitely don't want to get my hopes up, and I still think most Republicans will come home for Bevin, I'll acknowledge that there's a chance he could lose, even if it is a Jim Carrey chance. I'll move this from Safe R to Likely R.

This should never have been Safe R to begin with lol
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 01:47:20 PM »

Likely R, but closer to lean than safe.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 01:50:17 PM »

Unlike, what blue avatars think, its Tilt Beshear, every poll, has shown Beshear leading.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 02:14:11 PM »

Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 02:22:14 PM »

Close to a pure tossup, but I actually give the slightest edge to Beshear. Obviously Kentucky is a much redder state, but the primary result reminds me of what happened with Rauner last year. Plus Beshear's name was able to help him survive the 2015 red wave that brought down Edelen, and it's still an asset this year.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 04:33:29 PM »

Would've been tossup with Adkins, lean/likely R with Beshear.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 04:37:55 PM »

Tilt R, would have been Tilt D with Adkins, Likely R with Edelen.
adamevans
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 05:03:37 PM »

At the moment, I'd tilt it to Beshear, but I would bet my bottom dollar that Trump does 2-3 rallies in the state and makes the race Likely R. I wouldn't underestimate Beshear, though, he probably has a better chance than Bevin ignoring Trump.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 06:54:46 PM »

At the moment, I'd tilt it to Beshear, but I would bet my bottom dollar that Trump does 2-3 rallies in the state and makes the race Likely R. I wouldn't underestimate Beshear, though, he probably has a better chance than Bevin ignoring Trump.

Why are you #NeverBeshear, according to your signature? Just curious
adamevans
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 07:31:56 PM »

https://www.kentucky.com/news/politics-government/article174005941.html

Not a fan of political dynasties either.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 12:54:24 AM »

Tossup, although Tilt R if forced to choose. You could definitely make a case for Lean R, but I really don’t buy the Safe R KY meme.

KY-SEN 2020 is Safe R, but this race isn’t.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 06:01:48 AM »

https://www.kentucky.com/news/politics-government/article174005941.html

Not a fan of political dynasties either.

This literally has nothing to do with *Andy* aka Baby Beshear
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 06:38:44 AM »

Likely GOP Hold.
UncleSam

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 09:43:28 AM »

Lean R for now with the potential to move in either direction.
Epaminondas

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2019, 12:28:07 PM »

Tossup, although Tilt R if forced to choose. You could definitely make a case for Lean R, but I really don’t buy the Safe R KY meme.

That sounds about right.

(And thank you for avoiding the childish expression "gun to my head".)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2019, 12:36:30 PM »

No
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2019, 02:39:46 PM »

How would such a map look? It’s not hard for me to envision Beshear getting to around 45#•% (just a bit better than Jim Gray’s performance), but after that I’m stumped. He needs either red suburbs to go his way or a resurrection of coal mining Dems
[/quote]

1995 map would be sufficient, due to Paul Patton narrow win over his GOP opponent Larry Forgey, 50-48%

If Beshear wins, that will be his margin over Matt Bevin
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2019, 02:47:20 PM »

Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2019, 02:48:51 PM »

How would such a map look? It’s not hard for me to envision Beshear getting to around 45#•% (just a bit better than Jim Gray’s performance), but after that I’m stumped. He needs either red suburbs to go his way or a resurrection of coal mining Dems

He does most likely need to win over a large number of ancestral Democrats in Coal Country, which is why I believe Rocky Adkins would have been a better candidate than Beshear, but oh well. I suppose it's possible Beshear could still win by swinging the suburbs way to the left and winning back a couple rural counties, but I wouldn't count on it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies