Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:29:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 66
Author Topic: Georgia's Very Own Megathread!  (Read 127376 times)
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: September 25, 2020, 12:10:08 PM »

I voted a straight Democratic ticket (including Warnock for the special) yesterday.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #526 on: September 25, 2020, 12:16:43 PM »

I voted a straight Democratic ticket (including Warnock for the special) yesterday.

Still waiting for our absentee ballots to show up here in Forsyth County, although my kid in Athens got theirs yesterday.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #527 on: September 25, 2020, 04:30:56 PM »

Sending off tomorrow (once I fill the rest of the races in with "Democrat" write-in votes):

Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #528 on: September 26, 2020, 05:19:18 PM »

I really hope that Annette Davis Jackson doesn't get the votes of uninformed Georgia voters because she's the first Democrat
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #529 on: September 26, 2020, 08:06:34 PM »

I really hope that Annette Davis Jackson doesn't get the votes of uninformed Georgia voters because she's the first Democrat

Adam's ballot above lists her as a Republican.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #530 on: September 27, 2020, 10:42:29 AM »

VBM Requests as of 9/26, % of Total 2018 Vote:
Abrams Counties: 37.90% (817453/2156818)
Georgia, Overall: 33.28%
Kemp Counties: 27.72% (496804/1792128)

Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #531 on: September 27, 2020, 11:22:58 AM »

If Warnock loses this year, what are the chances McBath runs for that Senate seat in 2022?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #532 on: September 27, 2020, 12:11:36 PM »

If Warnock loses this year, what are the chances McBath runs for that Senate seat in 2022?

Possibly very likely, depending on how redistricting goes
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #533 on: September 27, 2020, 01:22:50 PM »

I think Tomlinson will run again tbh!
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #534 on: September 28, 2020, 04:01:25 PM »

Our absentee ballots, which were issued on Sep. 18 according to the SOS page and absentee file, still haven't shown up, so I called the Forsyth County elections office.  They asked me to give it until Friday because they mailed out over 30,000 ballots and the local post office was "overwhelmed" by them.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #535 on: September 28, 2020, 04:03:27 PM »

Why does that Georgia ballot say 'Democrat' instead of 'Democratic'?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #536 on: September 28, 2020, 10:48:38 PM »
« Edited: September 28, 2020, 10:56:22 PM by #Joemala2020 »

Example: Joe Biden is a "Democrat" not a "Democratic".
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #537 on: October 01, 2020, 01:27:32 PM »

The state's been ordered to have paper backups of the elections system.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #538 on: October 01, 2020, 02:13:11 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2020, 02:21:23 PM by Pack the Court & Lock Him Up »

I thought this might be one illustrative indicator beyond simple VBM requests, since the youngest cohorts are the least likely to vote by mail in most circumstances. It's also probably indirectly somewhat of an indicator (statewide) where young people are either fleeing in droves (i.e. parts of South GA) or being swamped by out-of-state retirees (NE GA mountains).

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #539 on: October 01, 2020, 03:58:12 PM »

Fulton unveils new mobile voting precinct vehicle to help with election

Officials claim the vehicle is the first of its kind in Georgia. Costing roughly $350,000, the vehicle is Fulton’s latest tool to help avoid the debacle seen nationwide during the June election, which featured some voters waiting all day in lines and many voters who never got their mail-in ballots.
The vehicle holds eight ballot-marking devices that voters will use to select candidates, one scanner where voters will feed their printed selections and two places to check in on polls pads.
For those who chose to vote in person, Barron said there’s another vehicle set to be delivered from the Ohio-based manufacturer Farber in the coming weeks.

The vehicles will also be used to react to polling locations that have long lines. The vehicles are able to zip around the county to fill any gaps should a precinct go down. But it might have trouble keeping up with Ga. 400 traffic, the speedometer only tops out at 100 mph.

Regarding the last sentence: Georgia 400 is known locally as the "Alpharetta Autobahn", and commonly has people speeding by crazy amounts (a motorcycle was recently clocked at 178 mph on it).
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #540 on: October 01, 2020, 08:48:03 PM »

I wanted to analyze preliminary VBM data specifically for GA Latinos after my earlier map today, given my county (Whitfield) is the most Latino in the state & my county party has been aggressively pushing early & VBM campaigns for Latino voters in our area (our digital operations regularly focus on a radius within 20 linear miles of Dalton - especially for Latinos, especially given the cluster of Latinos on our border in Gordon and Murray specifically). This is because if left to their own devices, many Latinos (along with Asians and young voters at large) tend to wait until Election Day to vote, and often get told they are not registered, don't have proper ID on them or skip most of the down-ballot - which lead to large drop-off and turn-away rates at the polls.

Of the 10 most-Latino counties in the state, I still was surprised to see 3 of the top 4 in terms of equity were in our "turf" (Chattahoochee, #2, is a military base predominantly, so lots of military ballots/VBM isn't unusual).

Image below shows the 10 most-Latino counties, along with their Latino population percentages, the percentage of total VBM requests coming explicily from SOS-identified Latinos, and the "equity" (i.e. the percentage of Latino VBM requests relative to population).

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #541 on: October 02, 2020, 03:48:26 PM »

Still waiting for our absentee ballots to show up here in Forsyth County, although my kid in Athens got theirs yesterday.

They showed up today.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #542 on: October 02, 2020, 05:31:08 PM »

Hot take
GA Special is seat #52
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #543 on: October 03, 2020, 10:52:03 AM »

Is there any reason why the votes cast so far are extremely old? Two thirds of the accepted ballots so far are people over the age of 65!
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #544 on: October 03, 2020, 10:54:40 AM »

Is there any reason why the votes cast so far are extremely old? Two thirds of the accepted ballots so far are people over the age of 65!
Traditionally, wasn’t the black vote on the day of the election?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #545 on: October 03, 2020, 06:27:09 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2020, 06:34:42 PM by Pack the Court & Lock Him Up »

Anybody 65 or over (or anybody who is disabled, a veteran, or living overseas) who requested a mail ballot during the primary (or primary runoff) automatically receives mail ballots for all future elections in said cycle (primary runoff, general election, state general election runoff & federal general election runoff). As such, several hundred thousand mail ballots were baked in for seniors due to COVID leading to higher requests for mail ballots during the primaries (along with the state mailing VBM applications to everybody).

This is why the senior mail vote is so high (it's not abnormal at all - if anything, their % of overall requests is lower than it otherwise would be). If you look at my map above, it's honestly astounding that the statewide 18-29 VBM request share is now above 10%.

Seniors do seem to be returning them faster - as they are only 46% of requests thus far - but these voters are also disproportionately D compared to past cycles (remember that the primary was 55% D in GA, and since the primary is largely responsible for most VBM requests being mailed out to seniors as explained above...).
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #546 on: October 03, 2020, 06:40:29 PM »

Traditionally, wasn’t the black vote on the day of the election?

Black voters have tended to vote early in-person. Election Day vote has generally been several percentage points less black than in-person EV. As far as VBM is concerned, it has generally resembled ED vote more so than EV vote. Prior to Abrams and her pushing of VBM in '18, mail ballots were generally the GOP's best vote type in Georgia ('16 less so, but still not shabby for the GOP).

Just as an example, 2014-GOV:

OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #547 on: October 03, 2020, 09:11:14 PM »

LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #548 on: October 03, 2020, 09:36:10 PM »

With 100% turnout of any eligible voter, you'd expect just 33% of that cohort to be 2016 non-voters. This stat could indicate a couple of different things, namely:

1. There's a surge of youth turnout, from those who've turned 18 since the last election and/or those who were 18 but didn't vote.
2. Mail-in ballots are being disproportionately utilized by college students who are residents of Georgia but don't live at home and can't vote early in-person or on election day. Those students are likely to be 18-22 and wouldn't have been able to vote in the last election.

I'm guessing it's mostly #2 but I think we will see an increase in youth turnout this year relative to other cohorts.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #549 on: October 03, 2020, 09:54:36 PM »

^^^ Let's remember a couple of things:

It's not uncommon at all for anywhere from 50-60% of the 18-29 crowd in a given election to be first-time voters or voters who didn't cast ballots in the previous presidential election. Again, remember that this metric is counting everybody who voted in 2018 but not in 2016: given 2018 was a de-facto presidential election turnout-wise in GA, it's very much worth keeping in mind (especially for such a young group).

The reason for this broader dynamic is somewhat simple: relative to other age groups, there tends to be a small uptick in voters between the ages of 18-21, followed by a drop-off among those 22-25, followed by growth once again in the late-20s.

This means that the youngest spike in voters are first-time voters because they literally weren't able to vote 4 years (or in some cases, even 2 years) prior; more people are interested in voting when it's the first election where they can do so. Among the age range of those who possibly could have voted four years prior (22-25), for whatever reason, interest seems to be lost to a certain degree (maybe because they're no longer in college or living at home, which can complicate voting). Among the 26-29 group, it's a combination of first-time voters finally starting to come "online", as well as those who may have voted 8 years prior (but not 4 years prior), as well as those who have voted every time since they were eligible.

At any rate, when you plug these phenomena into the proverbial equation, it leads to a hefty share (often a majority) of 18-29s being first-time voters. I highly doubt we'll see the figure be anywhere close to 70% once everybody has voted - not only because of usual trends, but also because a lot of younger people turned out for both 2016 and 2018.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 66  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies