Ranking Game of Thrones Seasons from Best to Worst.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:24:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Ranking Game of Thrones Seasons from Best to Worst.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ranking Game of Thrones Seasons from Best to Worst.  (Read 1839 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2019, 10:53:52 PM »
« edited: May 18, 2019, 05:13:56 PM by Frodo »

Rank all eight Game of Thrones seasons from best to worst.  

Though we probably don't need to wait until the end of this season to cast judgment on it, I don't think....  Tongue

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 10:56:01 PM »

Though we probably don't need to wait until the end of this season to cast judgment on it, I don't think....  Tongue

I've been loving this season so far. But apparently that makes me less intelligent and less of a fan than people who hate it.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 10:57:12 PM »

Though we probably don't need to wait until the end of this season to cast judgment on it, I don't think....  Tongue

I've been loving this season so far. But apparently that makes me less intelligent and less of a fan than people who hate it.

I am not the one who is judging you for it. 

How would you rank them, based on what you've seen so far? 
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 11:56:24 PM »

I am not the one who is judging you for it. 

How would you rank them, based on what you've seen so far? 

Season 4 was probably my favourite, followed by 3 and 6. 8 after that. Then season 3, season 7, season 5, season 1 and then season 2.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 01:12:25 AM »

Season 4
Season 3
Season 1
Season 6
Season 2

Season 5

Season 7

Season 8
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 01:30:12 AM »

1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 6

I'm not being facetious. I genuinely found each season to be worse than the prior one (though some dropoffs in quality were a lot bigger than others), and I think I can defend my ranking of each. I didn't watch seasons 7 and 8 but my impression is that they've continued (and accelerated) the downward trend.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 02:05:37 PM »

4 > 3 > 1 > 2 > 6 > 5

Seasons 7 and 8 barely even feel like the same show anymore.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 02:56:53 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2019, 04:36:59 PM by X-Filed Away »

3>4>1>5>2>8>6
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 7 (Which was so bad that I was going to quit watching the show entirely if the first episode of season eight wasn't a really good one, the episode Beyond the Wall is probably my single most hated episode of a television show in the history of the medium and I almost ragequit the show after Eastwatch).  

Edit: In light of spoilers I just read, season eight has been bumped down to being between season 2 and season 6 b/c the finale is going to be bad...like really, really bad.  The only reason it wouldn't bump it to season seven levels is that the first three episodes of season eight were really good.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 03:01:18 PM »

1-6
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 03:19:57 PM »

1, 3 and 4 go to the top tier, I think.

2 next, much as I disliked Daenerys's Qarth storyline it's not like the books did a good job there either.

Then 5-6, which combined mediocre to terrible stuff like Stannis, Meereen or all of Dorne, with fairly good moments.

Hard to tell between 7 and 8. Season 8 had two excellent episodes (1-2) before starting to lose it and the finale - if the godawful leaks are to be believed - seems like it will be a disaster. Season 7 however, was not enjoyable, riddled with plot holes or incoherent narratives and set the scene for Season 8 (which appeared to be moving away from that direction at the start before Episodes 3 and 5).

Assuming I hate the finale - likely - , I think it would be:

1-3-4-2-6-5-7-8
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 04:06:24 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2019, 05:01:01 PM by RINO Tom »

Just to prove I am not a blind D&D hater and simply against anything post-books from the get-go, I will actually pick Season 6 as my favorite overall season...

1. Season 6 (best combination of still enough book material [inspiration] to lean on plus inching toward a climax and satisfying conclusion with more information coming to light ... started to get a little fan service-y but not that bad yet)
2. Season 2 (Blackwater ... chillingly good)
3. Season 1 (extremely well written)
4. Season 3 (honestly, The Rains of Castamere alone could get it this high, but this season was really 4. good)
5. Season 5 (fun to get more of the White Walkers story)
6. Season 4 (barely below S5 for me)
7. Season 7 (was easier to tolerate as a clunky "bridge season" until we saw what S8 actually turned out to be)
8. Season 8 (storytelling has been a heart breaking black spot on a visually beautiful season)

Honestly, it's (obviously) much easier to rank episodes.  Seasons 1-4 had the best consistency week to week, IMO, but some of my favorite episodes happened in 5 and 6.  Season 7 was always going to hinge on how much I liked Season 8, which rapidly declined for me with the (lack of) conclusion for the White Walkers plot, and it's been trash ever since.  That really is a shame, too, because I thought S8E2 was one of the best episodes of the series.

EDIT: Just for fun, here are the average IMDb ratings for each season's episodes:

Season 1: 9.12
Season 2: 9.03
Season 3: 9.11
Season 4: 9.33
Season 5: 8.90
Season 6: 9.12
Season 7: 9.20
Season 8: 7.52

Errors are possible, lol.
I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 01:57:33 AM »

it's been a hell of a while since I watched earlier seasons, but off the top of my head

#1: I'll put Season 2 as first because the Stannis scenes and Blackwater were unparalleled, despite Benioff and Weiss' seeds of character assassination

#2: Season 1 gets this spot because it was the most faithful adaptation

#3: Season 4 gets this spot because certain moments like the Defeat of Mance Rayder's 100,000 Strong Wildling Army and Oberyn pledging to fight for Tyrion are underrated, whereas moments like the Red Wedding are overrated

#4: Season 3 gets this spot because, well, I'm certainly not putting any of Seasons 5-8 on here

and then there's a looonnnnnggggg gap, because Seasons 5-8 are such dragon doo-doo that I need to specify that.

Main point: seasons 5-8 should only be enjoyed from the perspective of mocking it online, excoriating the terrible decisions made by the showrunners at each point, etc

#5: Season 8. The reason it's at this position is because by this point, most attentive fans have given up on expecting good writing from Dip****&Dumb***, so the enjoyment is 100% from mocking it online. It also benefits from being the season that convinced many casual viewers to hate Benioff and Weiss.

#6: Season 7. The same reasons I gave for season 8, but it's the penultimate season so some attentive viewers still had some faith in things getting better. It didn't inspire as much casual hate against Benioff and Weiss.

#7: Season 6. What they did to Euron and the whole Ironborne storyline, along with Dorne, is simply unforgivable. Having the Battle of the Bastards happen at all was a huge mistake, because it screwed with the pacing of the show tremendously, having negative consequences down the line. It would have been better off for the overall story to have the Boltons defeated by Stannis at the end of Season 5, rather than stretch things out to the end of Season 6 and end it in such a way that makes Jon Snow look totally inept and the Northmen totally forgetful of their loyalty to the Starks and Ramsay a Villain Sue.

#8: Season 5. This is where the decline truly began. D&D deserve retribution for what they did to the Stannis and Dorne story arc.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 12:53:39 PM »

1. Season 1
2. Season 4
3. Season 2
4. Season 3
5. Season 5
6. Season 6

7. Season 7

8. Season 8
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 01:31:08 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2019, 01:34:09 PM by fluffypanther19 »

seasons 1-4 (i wont bother to rank them)

season 6

the seasons below are just differing degrees of sh!t

season 7

season 5 (hardhome is the episode only i can remember liking)

season 8
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 01:35:44 PM »

4 > 3 > 1 > 2 > 6 > 5

Seasons 7 and 8 barely even feel like the same show anymore.

Completely agree with this list. If I'm going to rank the other two, 7 is better than 8, but just barely - "Beyond the Wall" is beyond horrible writing.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 03:59:42 AM »

1. Season 1
2. Season 3
3. Season 2
4. Season 4
5. Season 6
6. Season 7
7. Season 5
8. Season 8