A fun little game
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:53:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  A fun little game
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A fun little game  (Read 280 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 27, 2024, 10:30:47 AM »

All you have to do (and please, do not cheat) is guess the year in which the following speech was made in the House of Lords:

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2024, 10:34:24 AM »

Some clues, because I'm nice.

1. The speaker is clearly male.
2. The peer's name is in purple: this means that I have clicked on the name of the speaker before. I have a professional interest in the history of planning, housing and local government issues in Great Britain.
3. The peer has a rather distinctive manner of speaking.

You might be able to work out from the above who the peer is or might be from this, which would at least give you a range of years. Or not.
omar04

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2024, 12:50:12 PM »

Sometime in the late 20th century? The speech sounds to be about that time but before water privatization.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2024, 12:56:12 PM »

Oh yes, the last reservoir to be built in England is Carsington Water in the middle of Derbyshire (which is not in Southern England). Planning started in the late 60s, construction in 1979 and it was opened in 1992. The building of it took a lot longer than it was supposed to as there was a dam collapse during construction in 1984.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2024, 02:14:30 PM »

Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2024, 02:33:44 PM »

I’ll bet on clue no. 2 and guess it’s a 70s/80s speech by one of those hilariously corrupt Macmillan-era ministers. Either Keith Joseph, who had this ‘shut up and do what I say’ approach to local government, at least going by what Jay Foreman says about him, or the dude who had his own asphalt company build motorways (opens google) Ernest Marples.
omar04

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2024, 04:51:42 PM »

Oh yes, the last reservoir to be built in England is Carsington Water in the middle of Derbyshire (which is not in Southern England). Planning started in the late 60s, construction in 1979 and it was opened in 1992. The building of it took a lot longer than it was supposed to as there was a dam collapse during construction in 1984.

I'll guess 1990 or 1991. I'm likely reading too much into this as you said he had a distinctive speaking style but something about how he said it sounds really recent to me.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2024, 05:06:08 PM »

I'm guessing 1976 for the year - we had a very hot summer with major water shortage issues, followed by a lot of heavy rain.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2024, 05:17:57 PM »

love the game, but I haven't the slightest idea.  But I love to guess....<dead0's thought process>you're asking the question, so it's probably an extreme year (or what the OP thinks is an extreme year, what I think of as an "extreme year" are probably two very different things (the OP's being more accurate)), but he's a smart fellow trying to have fun with a smart a group of people (or rather a group of people who contain some smart people), so maybe it's more a "random" year...ugg, the information other posters are theorizing is mostly jibber jabber to me, so that's no help.  The language seems as normal as English English ever does, so it's certainly not more than 150 years old or so..or not, how the hell would I know?  So I'll just fill in a gap in the already guessed guesses...we have the early 90s by omar, 70s/80s by Estrella, 1927 by Mec...oh, I just had an idea, maybe OP thinks it's interesting because this guy was complaining about the the freaking reservoir's during The Blitz or some other "Much Bigger Deal".  Got it.</dead0's insane head>

Sep 13, 2001
Steve from Lambeth
Greece

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2024, 05:44:05 PM »

c. 1946
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2024, 06:24:11 PM »

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2024, 08:07:07 PM »

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2024, 11:07:23 PM »

1922 because that was an interesting year in British politics.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #13 on: Today at 03:23:19 AM »

I’ll bet on clue no. 2 and guess it’s a 70s/80s speech by one of those hilariously corrupt Macmillan-era ministers. Either Keith Joseph, who had this ‘shut up and do what I say’ approach to local government, at least going by what Jay Foreman says about him, or the dude who had his own asphalt company build motorways (opens google) Ernest Marples.

oh look a fellow Citation Needed Unfinished London fan (maybe?)
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #14 on: Today at 05:08:14 AM »

or the dude who had his own asphalt company build motorways (opens google) Ernest Marples.

Who then lived a perfectly normal retirement where he was elevated to a peerage before fleeing to Monaco at very short notice to avoid prosecution for tax fraud.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies