Literary preferences quiz (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:46:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  Literary preferences quiz (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Literary preferences quiz  (Read 2764 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: May 29, 2019, 12:25:53 AM »

Minimalism vs. Maximalism: 50-50
Fantasy vs. Reality: 54.5-45.5
Dark vs. Celebratory: 60-40
Urban vs. Rural: 45-55
Moralistic vs. Satirical: 55.6-44.4
Abstract vs. Concrete: 50-50
Philosophical vs. Cozy: 62.5-37.5

I don't hold too much to these results, since I don't have a firm enough grasp of fiction or of my own tastes to say I prefer one thing over another thing on a lot of these questions. Moreover, I think that some of these "juxtaposing" categories are actually simply complementary. The use of archetypes can itself be part of some sort of intellectual exploration. Urban and rural aesthetics are interesting in their own light, and why shouldn't they be able to interact? More to the point, both can be utilized properly, and I would prefer either to a story that does not contemplate or interact well with its own setting. Isn't fantasy most compelling when it somehow acts as a mirror on our own world? And who's to say that satire can't itself be used to communicate an alternative morality?

I'm glad that I got splits on the minimalism and abstract questions since, at least without reading whatever it is we're talking about, I don't really care about those areas. I suppose the rest are "correct", but I'm not fond of the dichotomies presented.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies