Literary preferences quiz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:58:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  Literary preferences quiz
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Literary preferences quiz  (Read 2699 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 14, 2019, 07:43:36 PM »

Curious to see what my fellow booklovers here get.

Here are my results:

My results suggest a high preference that is "Gothic," rich in 'Transcendentalism' and 'High Fantasy.'  My favorite authors are Edgar Allan Poe, Stephen King, Henry David Thoreau, and C.S. Lewis, so I'd say it's pretty accurate.

Link to quiz
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 12:23:31 AM »

My results suggest a taste for exuberant, over-the-top fantasy that has a strong moral and philosophical compass and a certain directness to it. This definitely describes some of my favorite writers (like Tolkien and Lewis) but I also like Flannery O'Connor and Shirley Jackson a lot more than this would imply, possibly because this test doesn't sufficiently distinguish between darkness in the service of a philosophical or theological point and darkness in the service of edgelord nihilism.

Certain aspects of the way the questions are worded and the fact that the page links to PewDiePie for some reason lead me to suspect that whoever wrote this test is fash or fash-adjacent.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 01:08:31 AM »
« Edited: May 15, 2019, 01:29:33 AM by Secret Cavern Survivor »

Yup, that seems about right. Give me simple prose in the service of a straightforward, uplifting message grounded in strong morals but which doesn't shy from addressing complex issues, and going above and beyond the narrow confines of our reality. No edgy grimdark bullsh*t or pointless stylistic overindulgence.

I have no idea what to make of the urban/rural dimension. I don't have a strong preference on it and the whole thing feels superfluous and tacked on to prove some kind of point. All the other dimensions speak to literary tastes on a very broad and abstract level, but this one is strangely specific about a particular setting preference. If they wanted to get into specific setting preferences, there were many other dimensions to take into account besides the level of urbanization.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 12:25:53 AM »

Minimalism vs. Maximalism: 50-50
Fantasy vs. Reality: 54.5-45.5
Dark vs. Celebratory: 60-40
Urban vs. Rural: 45-55
Moralistic vs. Satirical: 55.6-44.4
Abstract vs. Concrete: 50-50
Philosophical vs. Cozy: 62.5-37.5

I don't hold too much to these results, since I don't have a firm enough grasp of fiction or of my own tastes to say I prefer one thing over another thing on a lot of these questions. Moreover, I think that some of these "juxtaposing" categories are actually simply complementary. The use of archetypes can itself be part of some sort of intellectual exploration. Urban and rural aesthetics are interesting in their own light, and why shouldn't they be able to interact? More to the point, both can be utilized properly, and I would prefer either to a story that does not contemplate or interact well with its own setting. Isn't fantasy most compelling when it somehow acts as a mirror on our own world? And who's to say that satire can't itself be used to communicate an alternative morality?

I'm glad that I got splits on the minimalism and abstract questions since, at least without reading whatever it is we're talking about, I don't really care about those areas. I suppose the rest are "correct", but I'm not fond of the dichotomies presented.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 01:34:17 AM »

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 12:33:23 PM »

http://www.dichotomytests.com/results.html?id=3&f=30&o=55&t=75&s=-30&e=-15&a=-75&p=20
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 09:50:32 PM »
« Edited: December 17, 2020, 03:37:37 AM by True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자) »

http://www.dichotomytests.com/results.html?id=3&f=0&o=15&t=-40&s=-10&e=5&a=-45&p=15

I think the biases of the test creator show thru my results. They say I prefer celebratory literature just because I strongly disagreed with idea that great literature must be dark and angsty. It can be, but it need not be. That said, I suppose I do prefer less experimental prose forms, but that's mainly because most experiments fail to be entertaining or interesting except to those seeking novelty for its own sake. For example, I think that Faulkner chose the right title for his novel The Sound and The Fury, but unlike most people I think that the idiot who told that tale was Faulkner himself, not the character Benjy. Stream of consciousness was already stale and overused as an idea by the time that novel was written, and his take on it was entirely unentertaining. That form is best used sparingly in my opinion.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 11:59:01 AM »
« Edited: October 06, 2020, 12:02:23 PM by Celes [The Earth is flat, dummies!] »

That's postmodernism and expressionism at the bottom. This is quite accurate for me with the caveat that I can not stomach even one word of literary fantasy.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 06:07:09 PM »

Minimalism vs. Maximalism: 42.5-57.5
Fantasy vs. Reality: 40.9-59.1
Dark vs. Celebratory: 30-70
Urban vs. Rural: 37.5-62.5
Moralistic vs. Satirical: 58.3-41.7
Abstract vs. Concrete: 50-50
Philosophical vs. Cozy: 65-35

I am not totally sure what to make of these results, since I believe to have pretty varied literary tastes and I am not exactly an avid reader, but they seem reasonable. My favourite book is probably The Betrothed; the first two people that come to mind to put among my favourite authors are William Shakespeare and Italo Calvino (I actually don't have anything by Calvino in my bookshelf right now, but I've read at least four books by him).
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 11:37:15 AM »

My only preferences are a heavy one for reality over fantasy, and slight ones for concrete over abstract and urban over rural. Suffice it to say I prefer my literature to reflect real life.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2021, 06:55:00 PM »

Some of the questions were odd and I dispute some of the dichotomies presented: in particular the idea that moralism and satire are opposed is a completely absurd proposition - all of the best satire is highly moralistic at its root.

Anyway, my favourite novelists (cutting it down to three, as after that point things really do balloon...) are Dostoyevsky, Tolkien and Naipaul.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies