UT-Gov 2020: Lt. Gov Spencer Cox (R) in
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:44:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  UT-Gov 2020: Lt. Gov Spencer Cox (R) in
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: UT-Gov 2020: Lt. Gov Spencer Cox (R) in  (Read 3235 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2019, 05:25:08 PM »

GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2019, 05:37:40 PM »

good.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2019, 06:25:56 PM »

EXCELLENT
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2019, 08:17:02 PM »

And that's the game. Of all the right-wing fruitcakes in Utah, Chaffetz was the only one who could beat Cox.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2019, 01:03:46 AM »

And that's the game. Of all the right-wing fruitcakes in Utah, Chaffetz was the only one who could beat Cox.

It helps things out, but I worry that even a right-wing state senator or the like could Unite The Crazies at the convention. Any locals have some observations about that?
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2019, 01:54:34 PM »

It helps things out, but I worry that even a right-wing state senator or the like could Unite The Crazies at the convention. Any locals have some observations about that?

Well, for what it's worth, I live an hour and a half away from the Utah border and I volunteered for Ben McAdams in SLC. From my observation, the state GOP - at least in recent years - is actually substantially to the right of the Utah electorate. If a right-wing challenge materializes, I expect Cox to lose the state convention and then swamp his challenger in the primary proper as Romney and Curtis did last cycle.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2019, 11:40:46 PM »

Well, for what it's worth, I live an hour and a half away from the Utah border and I volunteered for Ben McAdams in SLC. From my observation, the state GOP - at least in recent years - is actually substantially to the right of the Utah electorate. If a right-wing challenge materializes, I expect Cox to lose the state convention and then swamp his challenger in the primary proper as Romney and Curtis did last cycle.

Quite possible. I have a sort of axiom here: "conventions and caucuses are dominated by "activists" (and thus, usually - extremists) in 99% of cases", and reflect nothing, but "activist's" views...
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2019, 03:36:37 PM »

I've read that Governor Herbert has endorsed Cox as his successor.
Strong Candidate
123NY
Rookie

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2019, 04:49:01 PM »

This tweet basically explains Chaffettz pretty well. He's a talking head who sees more value in bloviating than in actually governing or making policy.
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2019, 11:40:18 PM »

This tweet basically explains Chaffettz pretty well. He's a talking head who sees more value in bloviating than in actually governing or making policy.

Well at least he's aware that his bloviating won't translate into policy. Unlike some (Ron DeSantis) politicos.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2019, 11:42:38 PM »

Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2019, 06:33:08 PM »

Cox will do well. Best case scenario for decent people in Utah.
JMT

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2020, 10:32:11 AM »

Lt. Gov Spencer Cox and former State House Speaker Greg Hughes placed first and second at the Republican Party's State Convention on Saturday, ensuring both candidates will have a spot on the June primary ballot (Cox had previously collected enough signatures to appear on the ballot, but also won at the convention). There will be 4 GOP candidates in total on the primary ballot for Governor, with former Governor Jon Huntsman and former Utah GOP Chairman Thomas Wright having collected enough signatures to appear on the ballot:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/2020/04/25/democratic-candidate/

Jason Christensen, Businessman Jeff Burningham, and Salt Lake County Councilwoman Aimee Winder Newton were eliminated at the convention, and will not appear on the primary ballot.

Given he's a moderate, I was surprised to see that Cox placed first at the convention. If Cox is doing well with party activists and more moderate voters, I think he'll be the Republican nominee.

Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2020, 01:52:52 PM »

Do yall think the UUP will run a candidate and do you think the party has a future in the states politics?
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2020, 04:02:54 PM »

It is too bad people like Huntsman can't do well in the modern day Republican party. He is one of the only Republicans I would vote for president.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2020, 04:07:56 PM »

It is too bad people like Huntsman can't do well in the modern day Republican party. He is one of the only Republicans I would vote for president.

The primary hasn't happened yet, though? Appears this one is a tossup between him and Cox. You may argue he should do better because he was a popular governor before, but that's more than ten years ago. Anyway, Huntsman is one of the Republicans I wouldn't be terrified about as president. Obviously, he will never be in the Oval Office other than as a visitor.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2020, 04:14:32 PM »

The primary hasn't happened yet, though? Appears this one is a tossup between him and Cox. You may argue he should do better because he was a popular governor before, but that's more than ten years ago. Anyway, Huntsman is one of the Republicans I wouldn't be terrified about as president. Obviously, he will never be in the Oval Office other than as a visitor.

By all accounts, Cox seems like a pretty great guy too. Looks like either way Utah is gonna have a sane, decent human being in charge next year.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2020, 04:20:29 PM »

By all accounts, Cox seems like a pretty great guy too. Looks like either way Utah is gonna have a sane, decent human being in charge next year.

Huntsman is a scumbag with no meaningful principles.  The country dodged a bullet when he imploded in 2012.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2020, 09:45:33 PM »

Huntsman is a scumbag with no meaningful principles.  The country dodged a bullet when he imploded in 2012.

Why is Huntsman bad? He has good positions in my opinion on Foreign Policy, Immigration, Climate Change, and some social issues. His tax policy while I'm not in agreement with is definitely less Conservative then others (such as Herman Cain proposed). Do you hate him because of his position on gay rights that he changed?
JMT

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2020, 07:41:40 PM »

Gov. Gary Herbert and Thomas Wright apparently discussed the possibility of Wright dropping out of the race for Governor to support Lt. Governor Spencer Cox, who Herbert has endorsed to succeed him.

Wright also said Herbert pitched the idea of Wright running for Senate in 2022 against Mike Lee. Herbert's team said the Senate race was not discussed.

Wright also denies that he is considering Herbert's idea of dropping out, and says he's fully committed to staying in the race for Governor:

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/5/28/21273569/utah-governor-says-no-deal-made-with-gubernatorial-candidate
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2020, 04:42:36 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/502069-jon-huntsman-tests-positive-for-coronavirus

Former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman (R) announced Wednesday that he tested positive for the coronavirus after originally receiving the "wrong results."

“After a second try, test results came back positive for Covid-19,” Huntsman, 60, tweeted. “Have been experiencing classic symptoms..like so many others, my goal is to keep my family safe.”
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2020, 08:22:54 AM »

So this happened:

Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2020, 09:55:32 AM »

So this happened:

Too bad you endorsed Trump Spencer!
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2020, 01:46:07 AM »

I don't begrudge Peterson for doing this but Cox spouting this while endorsing Trump and Burgess "Democrats are sociopaths" Owens is the pinnacle of hypocrisy.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2020, 10:09:44 AM »

I hope, given the unconditional Trump endorsement, that some of you consider retracting this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies