Will WV be a D pickup?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:41:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will WV be a D pickup?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Will WV be a D pickup?  (Read 2274 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2019, 01:15:39 PM »

Why does anyone think that a state that hasn't gone D in a Presidential election since 1996 and has steadily gone R will be a pickup for any Democrat?
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2019, 01:26:33 PM »

Why does anyone think that a state that hasn't gone D in a Presidential election since 1996 and has steadily gone R will be a pickup for any Democrat?

This thread is basically a meme.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2019, 01:29:54 PM »

Only if the nominee is Bill Clinton Michael Dukakis, a proven winner in West Virginia.

Fr tho even Bill Clinton wouldn't get more than like 40% in WV or even AR nowadays
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2019, 01:30:49 PM »

Safe 🅱️
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2019, 05:34:07 PM »

Yes if Manchin runs, no otherwise.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2019, 08:53:48 PM »

Bernie can win this state, but he'll have to pitch "BREAD AND BUTTER" issues to the voters. Many of them are economically liberal, they just don't know it.

I'd highly suggest Bernie goes down to a few good ol' boy coal mines and gets a little dirt on the hands. Nothing like some coal smoot on the old face to get those Bush-Bush-McCain-Romney-Trump voters to reconsider things.

(If you think that last part is insane, read this: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/5461322/ns/politics/t/byrd-tells-kerry-how-win-w-va/#.XOIIvlNKhJU)
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2019, 08:58:37 PM »

Manchin still trolling the WV Governor's Mansion ?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2019, 02:10:11 PM »

Hopefully, Ojeda succeeds him as Senator-elect in 2024
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2019, 04:33:14 PM »

No
adamevans
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2019, 07:36:58 PM »

Safe D. Paula Jean Swearengin will defeat Shelley Moore Capito by 50%+.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2019, 07:52:38 PM »

What? This is nonsense you neoliberal.
Paula Jean Swearengin will get 90% by getting ancestral Dems from coal country (her father was a miner) and students in the state university.
Richard Ojeda will beat Jim Justice through #populism you neoliberal.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2019, 08:48:26 AM »

Paula Jean Swearengin will get 90% by getting ancestral Dems from coal country (her father was a miner) and students in the state university.

Is this tongue-in-cheek?

WV shifted to the GOP in 2000 because its nominee, Al Gore, was the poster child of the anti-fossil fuels campaign.  It's as simple as that.  WV is socially conservative, but its social conservatism didn't interfere with it's voting Democratic for the most part.  Even in 1984, Reagan carried WV 55-45, which was only 1 point higher than he carried New York, which Reagan carried 54-46.

The UMW did not endorse a candidate in 2016; this was huge for Trump and the GOP in WV, and contributed to the exaggerated margin Trump won by.  I strongly suspect that the UMW will endorse Biden in 2020.  I also suspect that some of the conservative economics of Trump will not be helpful in WV.  I would not be surprised if the Democrats rebound somewhat in WV, though the hits they've taken will make it tough for them carry state offices they don't currently hold.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2019, 12:58:45 PM »

If by D, you mean Death, then yes, it will be a D pickup as Death will continue to pickup in WV.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2019, 01:09:39 PM »

No, only MT, NH, NC are in play in 2020.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2019, 03:02:25 PM »

I seriously do think that Trump will do worse in WV than 2016, not by a lot, but visibly worse.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2019, 03:08:00 PM »

Is this tongue-in-cheek?

WV shifted to the GOP in 2000 because its nominee, Al Gore, was the poster child of the anti-fossil fuels campaign.  It's as simple as that.  WV is socially conservative, but its social conservatism didn't interfere with it's voting Democratic for the most part.  Even in 1984, Reagan carried WV 55-45, which was only 1 point higher than he carried New York, which Reagan carried 54-46.

The UMW did not endorse a candidate in 2016; this was huge for Trump and the GOP in WV, and contributed to the exaggerated margin Trump won by.  I strongly suspect that the UMW will endorse Biden in 2020.  I also suspect that some of the conservative economics of Trump will not be helpful in WV.  I would not be surprised if the Democrats rebound somewhat in WV, though the hits they've taken will make it tough for them carry state offices they don't currently hold.

I'm totally kidding. Titanium R always.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2019, 03:08:50 PM »

Is this tongue-in-cheek?

What do you think the Trump cs Biden margin would be?

I say 66-30.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2019, 03:51:25 PM »

Is this tongue-in-cheek?

What do you think the Trump cs Biden margin would be?

I say 66-30.
That's about right. I think Sanders would be 65-31, maybe 65-30.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2019, 04:31:42 PM »

Is this tongue-in-cheek?

I probably agree.  It didn't have to be that way, but the Democrats have done all they could to make that worse, and the path back is probably blocked for them at this point.

The sad thing about the Democrats losing WV (and KY, for that matter) is the fact that these states have decent percentages of unionized workers; they are NOT part of the South.  Their voters have been, until recently, extremely elastic.  Even Robert Byrd (D-WV) voted for the 1965 and 1968. 
decunningham2
Rookie
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2019, 03:18:47 PM »

This thread has to be trolling.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies