2019 KY GOV Megathread, Andy Beshear wins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:26:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2019 KY GOV Megathread, Andy Beshear wins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36
Poll
Question: Ballot Preference: Which candidate would you vote for?
Bevin (R)

Beshear (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 163

Author Topic: 2019 KY GOV Megathread, Andy Beshear wins  (Read 53964 times)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: November 05, 2019, 10:00:12 PM »

Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #776 on: November 05, 2019, 10:00:48 PM »

It has been awhile since I've posted, but I just want to say: THANK GOODNESS
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #777 on: November 05, 2019, 10:02:52 PM »

womp womp
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #778 on: November 05, 2019, 10:03:22 PM »

womp womp

Sad loser Bevin won't admit he lost. Sad!
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #779 on: November 05, 2019, 10:03:44 PM »

My prediction was wrong, but I am glad the Democrat pulled a victory.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #780 on: November 05, 2019, 10:04:02 PM »

KY looks like Va now
538Electoral

« Reply #781 on: November 05, 2019, 10:05:42 PM »

Beshear won't get anything done anyway. The KY General Assembly is still overwhelmingly Republican and will block any liberal positions Beshear may try to enact.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #782 on: November 05, 2019, 10:05:42 PM »

womp womp

Sad loser Bevin won't admit he lost. Sad!

Bevin is refusing to concede, just like Roy Moore back in 2017. It won't matter anyhow. He will be out of office in two months.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #783 on: November 05, 2019, 10:06:12 PM »

Beshear claiming victory on CNN now in his speech.
ethanhenare1
Rookie
New Zealand

« Reply #784 on: November 05, 2019, 10:07:08 PM »

Congrats to Beshear!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #785 on: November 05, 2019, 10:07:19 PM »

Yah it looks like 2001 Virginia
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #786 on: November 05, 2019, 10:15:18 PM »

MCI map's map is out. Note the Swing in Louisville, Lexington, and the Cincinnati suburbs.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #787 on: November 05, 2019, 10:17:32 PM »

Beshear won't get anything done anyway. The KY General Assembly is still overwhelmingly Republican and will block any liberal positions Beshear may try to enact.
And the Kentucky House will sustain his vetoes!
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #788 on: November 05, 2019, 10:18:07 PM »

^These rural Eastern KY counties did Bevin in.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #789 on: November 05, 2019, 10:37:04 PM »

I haven't read this thread yet, but since I'm sure at least one person asked where I was, I was at work. Some of us who don't live in Owsley County have to work for a living. Wink

Anyway, I'm of course glad to be wrong and will happily eat crow/eggs. But at least I share embarrassment with all the people who thought Beshear would win in a landslide and actually believed that Targoz poll, lol.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #790 on: November 05, 2019, 10:44:11 PM »

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #791 on: November 05, 2019, 10:50:17 PM »

I haven't read this thread yet, but since I'm sure at least one person asked where I was, I was at work. Some of us who don't live in Owsley County have to work for a living. Wink

Anyway, I'm of course glad to be wrong and will happily eat crow/eggs. But at least I share embarrassment with all the people who thought Beshear would win in a landslide and actually believed that Targoz poll, lol.

Literally isn't though. Just off the top of my head KYWildman, Tender Branson, and Bandit thought this.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #792 on: November 05, 2019, 11:05:34 PM »

Yeah, obviously this race could have easily gone the other way, and it’s probably fairly likely that Beshear will face a very difficult reelection race in 2023, especially if a Democrat is president. The GOP bench is only getting stronger and it’s hard to find another Republican candidate as inept and odious as Bevin. (I’m by no means predicting that he will lose, but I’d be surprised if he didn’t struggle like JBE this year.)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #793 on: November 05, 2019, 11:56:14 PM »

Yeah, obviously this race could have easily gone the other way, and it’s probably fairly likely that Beshear will face a very difficult reelection race in 2023, especially if a Democrat is president. The GOP bench is only getting stronger and it’s hard to find another Republican candidate as inept and odious as Bevin. (I’m by no means predicting that he will lose, but I’d be surprised if he didn’t struggle like JBE this year.)

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, for now we should be celebrating Kentucky's apparent and unexpected common sense.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #794 on: November 06, 2019, 12:58:42 AM »

Not every day you get to wake up to such glorious news! The most punchable and disgusting Governor in the US getting exactly what he deserves!

It's also doubly satisfying considering how bullish a great number of posters have been about Bevin winning, ridiculing anyone who even dared to suggest Beshear might have a shot.   

I would hope people would learn from this, but having been on Atlas for a decade now I know people will forget this lesson in two heart-beats and will be back to making super-confident predictions and assumptions in time for the presidential election in a year.

Anyway, I'll be unbearably self-congratulatory on getting this one right:

This race is really just a question if you think running for reelection with the worst approval ration in the nation will override normal partisan leans. Gubernatorial elections are more prone to swinging, but still on some level conform with the nation. There's a variety of evidence from recent elections to suggest to make a good case for both the partisan and the approval sides.

I'm of the opinion that approval and favorability numbers are more of a factor in Gubernatorial elections, while normal partisan leans take precedent in presidential and congressional elections. I think there is recent precedent for that view in KS Governor 18 and LA Governor 15, especially in the latter case. The Debbie downers here were saying then, just as they are now, that although Vitter was terrible and everyone (including Republicans) despised him, there was no way he could loose to JBE because Louisiana "hicks" simply weren't going vote for someone with a (D) next to their name.

That's why I believe Bevin will loose this race, he simply seems to be so thoroughly unpopular in Kentucky that Beshear has a shot. Now, if this was a Senate race we were talking about, there'd be no chance in hell that the Democrat would prevail, no matter how unpopular MoscowMitch becomes, but I still believe there is a huge difference between how polarized the electorate is regarding state elections, compared with national ones.

Though I might be proven to be too optimistic. We'll just have to wait til November and see. 
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #795 on: November 06, 2019, 01:09:39 AM »

Translation: "I was wrong, but I will not change my behavior, I'll keep acting like an asshole, and I'll gloat for weeks if proven right"
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #796 on: November 06, 2019, 03:08:54 AM »

Trump - aka the rightwing olawakandi - actually thinks his election eve rally single-handedly reversed the results of that infamous +19 Beshear poll.

Lol go to bed, Twitler.
Annatar
Australia

« Reply #797 on: November 06, 2019, 03:18:23 AM »
« Edited: November 06, 2019, 03:22:09 AM by Annatar »

To bad there are no exit polls because the vote splitting was big, Bevin on average got around a 100k fewer votes than the other republicans meaning 7% of all voters who voted republican in other races voted for Beshear and around 12% of all voters that generally voted for republican candidates. That’s Joe Morrissey levels of defection.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #798 on: November 06, 2019, 03:56:24 AM »

Literally isn't though. Just off the top of my head KYWildman, Tender Branson, and Bandit thought this.

Nobody believed Beshear would win by 19 points, and while Tender overestimated the margin overall they just predicted a Beshear win. They did not predict a 19 point Beshear win as you misleadingly imply, so yes you are strawmanning here. I hope this is a lesson to people to show more humility and not make such arrogant predictions in the future (I highly doubt it will be though).
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #799 on: November 06, 2019, 04:12:52 AM »

The swing map sure is a sight to behold:

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies