2019 KY GOV Megathread, Andy Beshear wins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:04:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2019 KY GOV Megathread, Andy Beshear wins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 36
Poll
Question: Ballot Preference: Which candidate would you vote for?
Bevin (R)

Beshear (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 163

Author Topic: 2019 KY GOV Megathread, Andy Beshear wins  (Read 53178 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: October 08, 2019, 10:06:29 AM »

AL-Sen was only as close as it was because Moore was revealed to be a pedophile. This should be obvious to anyone who bothers to examine the race for more than half a second rather than blithely skating by with a "trends"

so what you're saying is Bevin is safe since he isn't a pedophile?

It may not be the case that the only thing which would bring Bevin down is pedophilia - remember that Ted Stevens was brought down in 2008 by some legal baggage. I think that poster's point is that it would take an extraordinary type of baggage (of which pedophilia would be one such kind) to bring Bevin down.
No, it's the other way around — it was only close for Jones because of the pedophile scandal. If that doesn't happen, Jones wins comfortably.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #451 on: October 08, 2019, 06:43:51 PM »

AL-Sen was only as close as it was because Moore was revealed to be a pedophile. This should be obvious to anyone who bothers to examine the race for more than half a second rather than blithely skating by with a "trends"

It may not be the case that the only thing which would bring Bevin down is pedophilia - remember that Ted Stevens was brought down in 2008 by some legal baggage. I think that poster's point is that it would take an extraordinary type of baggage (of which pedophilia would be one such kind) to bring Bevin down.
No, it's the other way around — it was only close for Jones because of the pedophile scandal. If that doesn't happen, Jones wins comfortably.

Man, that is a scorching red hot chili pepper take if I've ever seen one.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #452 on: October 08, 2019, 07:20:39 PM »

It's not a take, exactly. I had a chance to meet with one of the senior advisors on that campaign and all their internal numbers were showing a comfortable win over Moore right before the news broke, which brought in a lot of outside partisan actors and polarized the race along party lines.

Before the allegations broke, Jones was simply running an election against a high-profile and not particularly well-liked political figure. Draw your own comparisons to this race.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #453 on: October 08, 2019, 07:37:21 PM »

It's not a take, exactly. I had a chance to meet with one of the senior advisors on that campaign and all their internal numbers were showing a comfortable win over Moore right before the news broke, which brought in a lot of outside partisan actors and polarized the race along party lines.

Before the allegations broke, Jones was simply running an election against a high-profile and not particularly well-liked political figure. Draw your own comparisons to this race.

Tbh the Jones people have an incentive to spin the results as a mandate for Doug Jones and not just a fluke caused by Moore's pedophilia accusations. The public polling also showed a sharp trend towards Jones as a result of the accusations and Moore never got back to the same lead he had beforehand. Without the accusations I think Moore wins by high single digits, which would still have been an embarrassing performance for a Republican in Alabama and a good performance by Jones.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #454 on: October 08, 2019, 07:49:14 PM »

This has to be the worst analysis since Dick Morris in 2012
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #455 on: October 08, 2019, 08:16:58 PM »

Tbh the Jones people have an incentive to spin the results as a mandate for Doug Jones and not just a fluke caused by Moore's pedophilia accusations. The public polling also showed a sharp trend towards Jones as a result of the accusations and Moore never got back to the same lead he had beforehand. Without the accusations I think Moore wins by high single digits, which would still have been an embarrassing performance for a Republican in Alabama and a good performance by Jones.
This was not a public meeting and I was not working as a journalist at the time. This staffer was also no longer employed by Jones.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #456 on: October 08, 2019, 11:13:29 PM »

The difference is way smaller than you think:

KY: Trump + 30, Romney + 23
KS: Trump + 20, Romney + 22
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #457 on: October 08, 2019, 11:20:32 PM »

Hypothetically, if Beshear outperforms the presidential margin by the same amount that Kelly did, he loses by 3%.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #458 on: October 08, 2019, 11:47:13 PM »

2012 numbers are irrelevant. TX-07 literally has the same PVI as WI-08 due to 2012 numbers, lol.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #459 on: October 09, 2019, 12:27:51 AM »

Could we possibly, PLEASE, withhold calling this race and calling everyone who disagrees idiots until we actually get some, y'know, real polling??

I mean yes, KY is ruby red and pro-Trump, but has shown even in this decade a willingness to vote Democratic down ballot. Bevin has horrific favorables and is running a poor campaign, plus Beshear is a good candidate.

Can we just universally call this Lean R/Undecided until polling arrives?

Truly, beyond what I mentioned above, no one really has any clue how this race is shaping up.

In one ear.... Roll Eyes
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #460 on: October 09, 2019, 03:40:48 AM »

This was not a public meeting and I was not working as a journalist at the time. This staffer was also no longer employed by Jones.

It's still something they'd want to believe and would make the Jones campaign look good. I remember seeing this argument in an interview with Vox and it doesn't seem plausible tbh. The evidence points strongly that this take is not accurate and the conventional wisdom actually gets this one right. You could argue about how much the pedophilia factor benefited Jones, but it's almost certain that this factor did help him, and likely that it helped him significantly.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #461 on: October 09, 2019, 12:59:43 PM »

It will be interesting to see how coal counties votes given the massive chaos and job losses in the last six months.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #462 on: October 09, 2019, 01:13:32 PM »

It will be interesting to see how coal counties votes given the massive chaos and job losses in the last six months.
They will vote for Matt Bevin. Trump will come down to the coal counties and give a speech on Beshear will steal the jobs and turn the Cracker Barrel into a Taco Bell and they'll all vote GOP.

Obviously an exaggeration, but is it?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #463 on: October 09, 2019, 02:36:55 PM »

They will vote for Matt Bevin. Trump will come down to the coal counties and give a speech on Beshear will steal the jobs and turn the Cracker Barrel into a Taco Bell and they'll all vote GOP.

Obviously an exaggeration, but is it?

Maybe. Maybe they don't vote.  Just interesting to see what they'll do.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #464 on: October 10, 2019, 02:49:31 PM »

I've noticed the same people who say Matt Bevin is inevitable said the same thing about Roy Moore and Kris Kobach.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #465 on: October 10, 2019, 03:29:52 PM »

I've noticed the same people who say Matt Bevin is inevitable said the same thing about Roy Moore and Kris Kobach.
I wasn't here for 2017, but I thought AL-Sen was a tossup and as was KS-Gov.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #466 on: October 10, 2019, 03:49:44 PM »

I had KS-GOV as a Toss-Up from the start, but thanks for playing.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #467 on: October 10, 2019, 03:56:02 PM »

Not you specifically, but some other users I remember saying they wanted Colyer to win the primary to prevent the risk of Kobach winning, and when I pointed out Kobach would be easier to beat, they were like "lol no, Kobach is still going to win!"

Anyway, you're using the same logic in this race you did here:

People honestly think Jones has a chance? Come on, people, this is Alabama we're talking about. Moore's scandal isn't going to sink him, just ask President Hillary Clinton or Congressman Rob Quist how much these scandals really affect the opinions of voters. Moore would win even if he didn't deny the allegations and claimed he felt good about what he did. I'll guess a slightly narrower margin, but Moore's magic (R) will still easily save him.

Moore - 53%
Jones - 45%
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #468 on: October 10, 2019, 04:14:32 PM »

I've noticed the same people who say Beshear has a chance also thought Phil Bredesen and Drew Edmondson had a chance.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #469 on: October 10, 2019, 04:15:55 PM »

Not you specifically, but some other users I remember saying they wanted Colyer to win the primary to prevent the risk of Kobach winning, and when I pointed out Kobach would be easier to beat, they were like "lol no, Kobach is still going to win!"

Anyway, you're using the same logic in this race you did here:

People honestly think Jones has a chance? Come on, people, this is Alabama we're talking about. Moore's scandal isn't going to sink him, just ask President Hillary Clinton or Congressman Rob Quist how much these scandals really affect the opinions of voters. Moore would win even if he didn't deny the allegations and claimed he felt good about what he did. I'll guess a slightly narrower margin, but Moore's magic (R) will still easily save him.

Moore - 53%
Jones - 45%

Yes, I know you're very fond of that quote. I've admitted several times that I was wrong about that race, but as has been pointed out before...

1) Bevin isn't a pedophile (that we know of)
2) This isn't a special election
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #470 on: October 10, 2019, 04:17:17 PM »

+1

As for Alabama, let me know if you figure out Bevin is a pedophile and I'll be happy to change my rating.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #471 on: October 10, 2019, 04:18:23 PM »

I've noticed the same people who say Beshear has a chance also thought Phil Bredesen and Drew Edmondson had a chance.
I don't believe anyone gave either (especially Edmondson) a chance by the end.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #472 on: October 10, 2019, 04:19:43 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2019, 04:22:58 PM by Slam Dunk MI »

+1

As for Alabama, let me know if you figure out Bevin is a pedophile and I'll be happy to change my rating.
You're moving the goalposts. Every time a Democrat wins in a red state, you create an excuse and say they won't win in a red state again. "Moore was a pedophile", "Manchin was an incumbent", "Kansas is a purple state", etc.

Also, Blackburn and Stitt had positive favorables in the campaign whereas Bevin, Moore, Kobach, Morrissey all had negative favorables.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #473 on: October 10, 2019, 04:23:54 PM »

I don't believe anyone gave either (especially Edmondson) a chance by the end.

Quite a few people did. I don't feel like digging up the old threads, but here's some relevant posts from the lovely Politician on this matter:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=295292.msg6520119#msg6520119
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #474 on: October 10, 2019, 04:25:11 PM »

+1

You're moving the goalposts. Every time a Democrat wins in a red state, you create an excuse and say they won't win in a red state again. "Moore was a pedophile", "Manchin was an incumbent", "Kansas is a purple state", etc.

I don't know why you're still using Kansas as an example when I had it as a toss up the entire election, lol.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies