Post your Joe Biden Cabinet members.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 02:22:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Post your Joe Biden Cabinet members.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Post your Joe Biden Cabinet members.  (Read 5331 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2020, 10:01:47 PM »

I think the trio of Sally Yates (AG), Susan Rice (State), and Michele Flournoy (Defense) is extremely likely.

Unfortunately so is Anne Finucane (Treasury).
Not while Jamie Dimon's around!

Anyway, that trio makes sense, though I'd quibble the likelihood of a couple of those picks. I don't think Rice is a lock for State, since I imagine he'd seriously look at Samantha Power for that post. Also think there's a substantial chance of AG going to whichever of Harris/Klobuchar isn't picked for veep; the Preet twitter guy has also apparently been mentioned.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2020, 10:07:39 PM »

I'm really only interested in VP, SoS, AG, and CoS.

But I have no idea.
Galeel
Oashigo
United States

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2020, 11:53:40 PM »

Maybe Mike Duggan for HUD? I've heard he has a pretty close relationship with Biden.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2020, 07:42:19 AM »

I think a lot of people are overestimating how many senators will be in the Cabinet. Obama's election created four vacancies in the Senate: Obama, Biden, Clinton & Salazar. I don't think Biden will even have that many, given how much heartache the 2010 races caused the administration. I think there will only be one or two incumbent senators in the Cabinet: his VP (I'm guessing it has to be one of Harris, Klob, Warren or Duckworth) and maybe one other if the position really fits them well (Warren at Treasury, or someone like Kaine/Booker at State).
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2020, 07:48:47 AM »

Secretary of State: John Kerry
Secretary of the Treasury: Sarah Bloom Raskin
Secretary of Defense: Patrick Murphy (PA)
Attorney General: Doug Jones
Secretary of the Interior: Beto O'Rourke
Secretary of Agriculture: Amy Klobuchar
Secretary of Labor: Tim Ryan
Secretary of Commerce: Andrew Yang
Secretary of HHS: Raul Ruiz
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Keyshia Lance Bottoms
Secretary of Transportation: Cory Booker
Secretary of Energy: Jay Inslee
Secretary of Education: Marianne Williamson
Secretary of Veterans' Affairs: Dan Crenshaw so he won't run in 2024
Secretary of Homeland Security: Val Demmings

I like this but I would like to see Duggan at HUD, Pete at UN Ambassador, and maybe someone like Brian Schwitzer as SoI, and someone other than Amy K. at SoA
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2020, 07:50:02 AM »

I think a lot of people are overestimating how many senators will be in the Cabinet. Obama's election created four vacancies in the Senate: Obama, Biden, Clinton & Salazar. I don't think Biden will even have that many, given how much heartache the 2010 races caused the administration. I think there will only be one or two incumbent senators in the Cabinet: his VP (I'm guessing it has to be one of Harris, Klob, Warren or Duckworth) and maybe one other if the position really fits them well (Warren at Treasury, or someone like Kaine/Booker at State).

Polarisation is much stronger now than it was then, so nominating senators from safe seats is going to be less of a concern for Biden (although an especially narrow Senate majority will act as a deterrent). I agree that we're going to see fewer incumbents if the Senate turns out how I expect it to (52-48), especially when it comes to nominating the likes of Kaine, Klobuchar and Warren (MA isn't safe because of Baker), but we could see a lot of former incumbents (Doug Jones, Ted Kaufman, and perhaps Russ Feingold if a sop to the left is required at some point).

I doubt the cabinet would be stuffed with civil servants. It should be clear from the dominance of older politicians in the 2020 primary that the Democratic Party has failed to build up much talent across certain generations (especially Gen X), and giving posts to talented people with aspirations is one way to partially rectify that.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2020, 08:06:27 AM »

Polarisation is much stronger now than it was then, so nominating senators from safe seats is going to be less of a concern for Biden (although an especially narrow Senate majority will act as a deterrent). I agree that we're going to see fewer incumbents if the Senate turns out how I expect it to (52-48), especially when it comes to nominating the likes of Kaine, Klobuchar and Warren (MA isn't safe because of Baker), but we could see a lot of former incumbents (Doug Jones, Ted Kaufman, and perhaps Russ Feingold if a sop to the left is required at some point).

I doubt the cabinet would be stuffed with civil servants. It should be clear from the dominance of older politicians in the 2020 primary that the Democratic Party has failed to build up much talent across certain generations (especially Gen X), and giving posts to talented people with aspirations is one way to partially rectify that.

Those are all fair points. I agree with you on former Senators especially; those would be easy picks. I think the problem with a lot of the safe state senators is that most of them are either too deep into Senate leadership to be considered (Schumer, Murray, Durbin, Cantwell, Reed), too old (Feinstein, Cardin), or too useless (Menendez, Blumenthal). I also think the senate could very well be 50-50 or 51-49 so every vote counts.

I don't neccesarily think the Biden cabinet will be mostly civil servants, but I think a few departments have learned the value of having experts at the helm, namely HHS after Sebelius and Energy after Rick Perry. I'd expect both will be filled by professionals, along with probably the EPA too.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2020, 08:12:31 AM »

Those are all fair points. I agree with you on former Senators especially; those would be easy picks. I think the problem with a lot of the safe state senators is that most of them are either too deep into Senate leadership to be considered (Schumer, Murray, Durbin, Cantwell, Reed), too old (Feinstein, Cardin), or too useless (Menendez, Blumenthal). I also think the senate could very well be 50-50 or 51-49 so every vote counts.

I don't neccesarily think the Biden cabinet will be mostly civil servants, but I think a few departments have learned the value of having experts at the helm, namely HHS after Sebelius and Energy after Rick Perry. I'd expect both will be filled by professionals, along with probably the EPA too.

Definitely. I'd add that most cabinet positions are a downgrade from being a senator. Corey Booker is not leaving the senate to become secretary of transportation lol.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2020, 08:26:50 AM »

I think Buttigieg is an odds-on choice for a Cabinet role given that Biden seems to have genuine respect for him and considering Buttigieg's poor prospects in Indiana politics. Yang can go for Mayor of NY, Sanders can keep getting elected as Senator, etc., but Buttigieg's only real opportunities lie in gunning for an internal party role like chair of the DNC (which could be controversial), some form of carpetbagging or going for the Governor's office in 2024 (the last time it will be gettable for Democrats in a political generation), because IN-02 isn't going to flip during a Biden presidency. Even carpetbagging another seat in Indiana doesn't open up many opportunities for Buttigieg - perhaps the Mayoralty of Indianapolis if Hogsett retires or IN-07 if Andre Carson retires, but IN-01's post-2020 incumbent is almost certainly not going to step aside within four years and IN-05 will be an uphill battle if Biden is president.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2020, 09:13:50 AM »

Note: This is obviously going to be a very star-studded cabinet, because this is how these things work. No one is going to seriously research agency bureaucrats.

President: Joe Biden (D-DE)
Vice President: Tammy Duckworth (D-IL), replaced in the Senate by Lt. Gov. Juliana Stratton

Secretary of State: Russ Feingold (D-WI)
Secretary of the Treasury: Sarah Bloom Raskin (D-MD)
Secretary of Defense: Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY), replaced in the Senate by Attorney Preet Bharara
Attorney General: Doug Jones (D-AL)
Secretary of the Interior: Joe Nguse (D-CO)
Secretary of Education: Randi Weingarten (D-NY)
Secretary of Health and Human Services: Howard Dean (D-VT)
Secretary of Commerce: Andrew Yang (D-NY)
Secretary of Labor: Loretta Sanchez (D-CA)
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Keisha Lance Bottoms (D-GA)
Secretary of Transportation: Jesús Chuy García (D-IL)
Secretary of Energy: Beto O'Rourke (D-TX)
Secretary of Agriculture: Kathleen Sebelius (D-KS)
Secretary of Veterans' Affairs: Jason Kander (D-MO)
Secretary of Homeland Security: Val Demmings (D-FL)
Secretary of Environmental Protection: Jay Inslee (D-WA)
Ambassador to the United Nations: Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2020, 01:57:27 PM »

I think Buttigieg is an odds-on choice for a Cabinet role given that Biden seems to have genuine respect for him and considering Buttigieg's poor prospects in Indiana politics. Yang can go for Mayor of NY, Sanders can keep getting elected as Senator, etc., but Buttigieg's only real opportunities lie in gunning for an internal party role like chair of the DNC (which could be controversial), some form of carpetbagging or going for the Governor's office in 2024 (the last time it will be gettable for Democrats in a political generation), because IN-02 isn't going to flip during a Biden presidency. Even carpetbagging another seat in Indiana doesn't open up many opportunities for Buttigieg - perhaps the Mayoralty of Indianapolis if Hogsett retires or IN-07 if Andre Carson retires, but IN-01's post-2020 incumbent is almost certainly not going to step aside within four years and IN-05 will be an uphill battle if Biden is president.

I'd agree, but the possible positions he can have pretty limited. He won't get any of the Big 4 cabinet jobs: he has no experience for AG, Treasury, State or even Defense. Interior and AG should be filled by people from Western and rural states. Progressive won't want him at Labor. Energy will be filled by someone with a scientific background. HUD would be an awkward fit for him, to say the least. Homeland Security is probably not something he's suited to run either.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2020, 02:06:30 PM »

I'd agree, but the possible positions he can have pretty limited. He won't get any of the Big 4 cabinet jobs: he has no experience for AG, Treasury, State or even Defense. Interior and AG should be filled by people from Western and rural states. Progressive won't want him at Labor. Energy will be filled by someone with a scientific background. HUD would be an awkward fit for him, to say the least. Homeland Security is probably not something he's suited to run either.

Is an ex-intelligence officer a bad fit for Defence? If so, VA seems like the most obvious fit.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2020, 04:37:36 PM »

Most likely fit for Buttigieg would be UN Ambassador, no? He has a vaguely international gloss, and it's a post that often goes to a politician with the right ideological qualifications — Haley, Danforth, Bolton, Richardson, etc.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2020, 04:58:39 PM »

Most likely fit for Buttigieg would be UN Ambassador, no? He has a vaguely international gloss, and it's a post that often goes to a politician with the right ideological qualifications — Haley, Danforth, Bolton, Richardson, etc.

UN Ambassador is the obvious pick for him; all his foreign languages can come in handy, and it's a step above your run-of-the-mill diplomatic post. VA is also a potential fit, though I think after the scandal in the Obama years Biden may pick a more seasoned public administrator who is familiar with the department.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2020, 10:32:36 PM »

Vice-president: Tammy Baldwin
Secretary of State: Not sure
Secretary of the Treasury: Andrew Yang
Secretary of Defense: Not sure
Attorney General: Doug Jones
Secretary of the Interior: Ed Markey (if he loses)
Secretary of Agriculture: Collin Peterson (if he loses)
Secretary of Labor: Russ Feingold
Secretary of Commerce: Peter DeFazio
Secretary of HHS: Pramila Jamapal
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Ro Khanna
Secretary of Transportation: The brother of Julian Castro
Secretary of Energy: Lawrence Lessig
Secretary of Education: Abdul El Sayed
Secretary of Veterans' Affairs: Pete Buttigieg
Secretary of Homeland Security: Henry Cuellar (so Jessica Cisneros enters the house)
EPA Administrator Jay Inslee
SBA: Heidi Heitkamp
Ambassador, United Nations: Greta Thunberg (and make her an American citizen)

That's what I want.

Can she even be a UN ambassador? I think she may be too young but I don't know the minimum age to become one. Honestly I see her as being more likely to be the Swedish Prime Minister when she's old enough.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2020, 10:11:55 AM »

No one is going to seriously research agency bureaucrats.

Depends on what you mean by "agency bureaucrats".  For the higher profile Cabinet spots, there are several high-ish profile people who were deputy Secretaries or under Secretaries in the Obama administration who are likely to be in the mix for Cabinet spots in the Biden administration.  These are not politicians, but "bureaucrats" I guess, if you want to use that term.  E.g., in my incomplete Cabinet picks:

Maybe something like...

Secretary of State: Tony Blinken
Secretary of Defense: Michele Flournoy
Secretary of the Treasury: Lael Brainard
Attorney General: Tom Perez
Secretary of Homeland Security: Bennie Thompson

I picked Tony Blinken for Secretary of State.  Blinken has been close to Biden for a long time now, and is currently advising him on the campaign.  I don't know if he'll get a job as high as Secretary of State, but seems inevitable that he'll get *some* high level job in the administration.  (If not State, then probably National Security Advisor.) Then you've got Michele Flournoy, who was on the short list to replace Hagel before Obama went with Ash Carter.  Lael Brainard has been floated for Treasury in some articles about Biden's Cabinet before, so seems like she's a possibility.  I picked Bennie Thompson for Homeland Security, but Alejandro Mayorkas is another name that's been mentioned there.

So I think, if not actual elected officials, another way to guess at Cabinet posts is to look at recent deputy and under Secretaries and assume that Biden is going to want a Cabinet that "looks like America", and will have some diversity in it.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2020, 10:18:42 AM »

Keisha Lance Bottoms will get either HUD or Transportation
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2020, 12:01:56 PM »

Keisha Lance Bottoms will get either HUD or Transportation

Clyburn and other Biden people seem to love her, so it's definitely possible. Not sure if she would take that offer for the Cabinet if she has her eyes on the Governor's mansion, but Abrams may end up clearing that field.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2020, 12:04:57 PM »

Biden's selections to his policy committees with Sanders would probably be a good place to look for possible names.
MidwestPollster
Rookie
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2020, 12:13:09 PM »

Hard to see Daschle leaving his lobbyist job. But hey, anything is possible.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies