NJ-GOV 2021 megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 09:13:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NJ-GOV 2021 megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 35
Author Topic: NJ-GOV 2021 megathread  (Read 51609 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: November 02, 2021, 11:15:04 PM »

I mostly agree with this take. A national environment that makes VA R+1 probably makes NJ a narrow D win, and that's where we appear heading. So any state specific issues on either side of the coin in our nationalized elections probably are marginal at best.

Yeah, I mean, to this point, look at the 2019 gubernatorial elections. Dems won in Kentucky and Louisiana when they honestly had no business doing so and kept Mississippi close at least in part because the environment was quite good for them. Candidate quality had something to do with it, sure, but parties win in inhospitable terrain when it's an off-off-year and the president is underwater by ten points. It's just what happens.

It's funny you cite those but take totally opposite conclusions from them. Keep in mind that Dems won in KY and LA in 2015 as well (not Gov. in KY's case that year, but other statewide Dems including Beshear for AG, and his dad won in 2011, also not a great environment for Dems), which was not a good environment for Dems at all. Some states, including these, historically have been way more likely to keep state level politics separate from federal politics. New Jersey is another one, actually, as it has only re-elected a Dem for governor once in like 40 years.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #501 on: November 02, 2021, 11:16:15 PM »

Murphy will probably win, but it will be embarrassing if Youngkin wins by a larger margin than him.

Heres the good news for the Dem establishment tho: They still have 13 months to make excuses, find scapegoats, and avoid responsibility for the inevitable 2022 shellacking. I wonder what/who it will be this time? Ralph Nader? Russia? Muh media?

Just about every single "progressive" candidate and policy up tonight got blown out of the water, even in blue cities like Seattle, Minneapolis, and Buffalo. Also as mentioned Murphy himself is pretty damn "progressive" and got an enthusiastic endorsement from Bernie Sanders.

But sure, it's all "the establishment" and I'm sure AOC would win in a landslide if we nominated her or someone like her for president.
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #502 on: November 02, 2021, 11:17:07 PM »

Murphy will probably win, but it will be embarrassing if Youngkin wins by a larger margin than him.

Heres the good news for the Dem establishment tho: They still have 13 months to make excuses, find scapegoats, and avoid responsibility for the inevitable 2022 shellacking. I wonder what/who it will be this time? Ralph Nader? Russia? Muh media?

Just about every single "progressive" candidate and policy up tonight got blown out of the water, even in blue cities like Seattle, Minneapolis, and Buffalo. But sure, it's all "the establishment" and I'm sure AOC would win in a landslide if we nominated her or someone like her for president.
^^^
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #503 on: November 02, 2021, 11:17:12 PM »

You know who should really be sweating tonight? Gretchen Whitmer.

There is no other explanation for the closeness of these results besides Murphy's strict Covid policies. He was a generic D Democrat and most of his policies didn't get people too angry, and Ciatarelli ran a competent but uninspired campaign.

It's almost like vaccinated people aren't particularly happy about having restrictions forced on them when they did the right thing months ago.

The worst of this was before the vaccines rolled out - keeping indoor dining shut indefinitely long after the crisis abated, for instance - but yeah, people are done with the fact that there doesn't seem to be an offramp here.

There have been no restrictions in NJ since May. No, the pandemic is not over but that's not Murphy's fault. If people are upset that they see hand sanitizer around and people wearing masks, then that's their own problem and the culture of this country needs a serious change.

I'm mostly talking about last year, actually - particularly one specific incident where Murphy threw his own road map out the window and called off the resumption of indoor dining indefinitely because he had a gut feeling it was too risky. It cost a lot of businesses money they had already invested into reopening, and the anger was deep. He's certainly improved since then, and the state seems to be doing well now, but speaking anecdotally there was absolutely a sense of betrayal during the later months of the initial crisis that hasn't dissipated.
Duke of York

« Reply #504 on: November 02, 2021, 11:23:26 PM »

2022 will be a disaster might as well call it now.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #505 on: November 02, 2021, 11:24:07 PM »

Just about every single "progressive" candidate and policy up tonight got blown out of the water, even in blue cities like Seattle, Minneapolis, and Buffalo. Also as mentioned Murphy himself is pretty damn "progressive" and got an enthusiastic endorsement from Bernie Sanders.

But sure, it's all "the establishment" and I'm sure AOC would win in a landslide if we nominated her or someone like her for president.

Please don’t use “progressive as an umbrella label. There are light years between Sanders and NTK.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #506 on: November 02, 2021, 11:24:32 PM »

Murphy is not an unpopular governor. If he wins, Ciattarelli defeating an incumbent in a D+15 state is a bad omen for the Democrats in 2022.
This isn't a case where it's an open race, the Republican is the incumbent or the governor is very unpopular, everything should be in Murphy's favor.
Colbert
France

« Reply #507 on: November 02, 2021, 11:26:51 PM »

gap according to CNN/NYT

10:30___________________+17/+11 000 votes for the gop candidate

10:35___________________+18/+24

10:40___________________+31/+25

10:45___________________+34/+28

10:50___________________+31/+17

10:55___________________+31/+17

11:00___________________+23/+17

11:10___________________+12/+6

11:20___________________+22/+10
kwabbit

« Reply #508 on: November 02, 2021, 11:29:06 PM »

Burlington and Mercer just dumped, Ciattarelli maintains his lead 13 pts to 10, Mercer goes from Murphy +10 to +15.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #509 on: November 02, 2021, 11:29:19 PM »

Murphy is not an unpopular governor. If he wins, Ciattarelli defeating an incumbent in a D+15 state is a bad omen for the Democrats in 2022.
This isn't a case where it's an open race, the Republican is the incumbent or the governor is very unpopular, everything should be in Murphy's favor.

It's a miserable election environment for a party that hold the White House, simple as that.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #510 on: November 02, 2021, 11:31:38 PM »

Just about every single "progressive" candidate and policy up tonight got blown out of the water, even in blue cities like Seattle, Minneapolis, and Buffalo.

Boston mayor-elect and Senator Warren acolyte: am I a joke to you?

Spectator
United States

« Reply #511 on: November 02, 2021, 11:33:07 PM »

Just about every single "progressive" candidate and policy up tonight got blown out of the water, even in blue cities like Seattle, Minneapolis, and Buffalo.

Pretty small bright spot for progressives when NJ is a tossup and Seattle is electing Republicans.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #512 on: November 02, 2021, 11:33:18 PM »

Who will win?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #513 on: November 02, 2021, 11:33:24 PM »

I feel like Warren, Wu, Porter, and the like are simply on the left wing of mainstream Democrats, and pretty distinct from the likes of India Walton and especially the crazy person in Seattle.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #514 on: November 02, 2021, 11:34:08 PM »

Murphy 31513 Cit 9682 VBM in Bergen according to kornacki from the county clerk. That A: Flips the county, B: its probably a indicator of the VBM left uncounted in nearly all normally Dem counties.

There is a reason where Murphy is claiming victory now.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #515 on: November 02, 2021, 11:34:30 PM »

I was pretty sure Murphy for the longest time but beginning to back off that
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #516 on: November 02, 2021, 11:35:27 PM »

Please don’t use “progressive as an umbrella label. There are light years between Sanders and NTK.
Wait did NTK lose?
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #517 on: November 02, 2021, 11:35:44 PM »

80% of the vote in and Tortellini still leads by a point. Still suburban counties where he is heavily favored left to count anywhere from 20% of the vote in Cumberland to 99% of the vote in Salem. He's now leading in Passaic with 60% of the vote in. Anyone else see where Murphy can make it up? Because I don't.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #518 on: November 02, 2021, 11:36:02 PM »

Wait did NTK lose?

Likely and deservedly so.
kwabbit

« Reply #519 on: November 02, 2021, 11:36:34 PM »

Murphy likely. It remains to be seen what VBM does. GOP does have votes in the hole in Sussex and Salem though.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #520 on: November 02, 2021, 11:36:39 PM »

Pretty small bright spot for progressives when NJ is a tossup and Seattle is electing Republicans.

The other candidate in the Seattle race appears to literally be a crazy person. Basically every stereotype of the abolish the police super SJW heavy pronoun obsessed white lady rolled into one.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #521 on: November 02, 2021, 11:37:01 PM »

Wait did NTK lose?

Looks iffy, currently down  by 18 % but the loon votes are more heavy in the later ballots.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #522 on: November 02, 2021, 11:37:16 PM »

There goes my Murphy+7 prediction, up in smoke.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #523 on: November 02, 2021, 11:37:29 PM »

Dems are going to have a rough 2022 at this rate.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #524 on: November 02, 2021, 11:37:47 PM »

80% of the vote in and Tortellini still leads by a point. Still suburban counties where he is heavily favored left to count anywhere from 20% of the vote in Cumberland to 99% of the vote in Salem. He's now leading in Passaic with 60% of the vote in. Anyone else see where Murphy can make it up? Because I don't.

I'm not sure of the details, but I still have a feeling that Murphy will narrowly hold on. However, a Ciattarelli victory is very much a possibility at this point, and he's outperforming his polls. It's clear to me that educational issues and coronavirus pandemic policies greatly hurt both Murphy and McAuliffe. And of course, this is a reflection on President Biden.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies