11 year old rape victim forced to carry to term thanks to Ohio law.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 02:50:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  11 year old rape victim forced to carry to term thanks to Ohio law.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22
Author Topic: 11 year old rape victim forced to carry to term thanks to Ohio law.  (Read 24383 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2019, 12:21:14 AM »

The issue comes down to control over one’s body.  However unnatural, women have the right to eject another human being from their body whether or not that person can survive on it’s own.   A woman, as well as a man, has the right to control the entities within their body.  But let’s play devil’s advocate and say that they don’t have that right, how does the government practically regulate women from seeking and undergoing abortions?  Equate the act to murder?  I don’t think anyone has the stomach for that type of proceeding.  At the end of the day, there’s no practical method for prohibiting abortions, and dealing with the consequences wrought from anti-abortion policies.   

Constitutionally, this is one of the only issues Democrats have correct. It’s not due to any adherence to our constitution or American values, but rather, their lapdog mentality when it comes to supporting any group of people other than white men.   

I've always been a little befuddled by both of these arguments. I don't understand the " A woman, as well as a man, has the right to control the entities within their body." line since practically every law controls something about what a person can do with his or her body. I can understand the view that an abortion is simply a medical procedure with no particular moral implications beyond that of any other medical procedure given the gravity of the circumstances etc etc and as such the government should not ban it. But that doesn't seem to be what this argument is. I don't get it.

The second point I don't understand either. Clearly, abortion is an issue that affects women more than men. That much I understand. However, women are just as divided on the topic as men are; polling shows pretty marginal differences in abortion views by gender. And I have no idea what race has to do with this, except for the people who want abortion so there are fewer black people or some other fringe oddity that the people discussing the topic almost never hold.
Hollywood
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2019, 01:01:51 AM »

The issue comes down to control over one’s body.  However unnatural, women have the right to eject another human being from their body whether or not that person can survive on it’s own.   A woman, as well as a man, has the right to control the entities within their body.  But let’s play devil’s advocate and say that they don’t have that right, how does the government practically regulate women from seeking and undergoing abortions?  Equate the act to murder?  I don’t think anyone has the stomach for that type of proceeding.  At the end of the day, there’s no practical method for prohibiting abortions, and dealing with the consequences wrought from anti-abortion policies.   

Constitutionally, this is one of the only issues Democrats have correct. It’s not due to any adherence to our constitution or American values, but rather, their lapdog mentality when it comes to supporting any group of people other than white men.   

I've always been a little befuddled by both of these arguments. I don't understand the " A woman, as well as a man, has the right to control the entities within their body." line since practically every law controls something about what a person can do with his or her body. I can understand the view that an abortion is simply a medical procedure with no particular moral implications beyond that of any other medical procedure given the gravity of the circumstances etc etc and as such the government should not ban it. But that doesn't seem to be what this argument is. I don't get it.

The second point I don't understand either. Clearly, abortion is an issue that affects women more than men. That much I understand. However, women are just as divided on the topic as men are; polling shows pretty marginal differences in abortion views by gender. And I have no idea what race has to do with this, except for the people who want abortion so there are fewer black people or some other fringe oddity that the people discussing the topic almost never hold.

It’s just my two cents.  I’m not really interested in the results of polling on the issue, because I personally don’t think most people, or voters, have thoroughly examined the issue.  I’m basing my opinion on Constitutional principles I learned during my legal schooling, as well as the practicality of government intervention in medical abortion procedures.  I’m sure we could come up with examples and analogies in which the government interfered with a person’s control over body.  History is full of little contradictions.  I’m sure the same people that think government should not interfere with a woman’s right to choose in the preservation of young life would no doubt plead for the government to intercede in forcing people to undergo anti-viral injections to preserve the life others. 
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2019, 01:22:10 AM »

We need way more abortions. Ever been in Target around the holidays?
Hollywood
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2019, 01:31:46 AM »

We need way more abortions. Ever been in Target around the holidays?

I couldn't get there cause there was too much dead weight on I95. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2019, 08:21:38 AM »

Are you seriously telling me you would force your 11 year old daughter to carry a baby to term?

Yes. Some of us have morals.

That's what fundamentalist Muslims in Podunk Africa would say to justify female genital mutilation.

You people are no less barbaric than they are.

Murdering babies is barbaric.

How about murdering eleven-year-olds?

No one is advocating that.

There's a really easy solution to this - stop considering fetuses (and/or earlier stages) that aren't far along enough to have any chance of surviving outside the womb to be "babies." That's a personal, conscious choice you've made and think that everyone else should be bound by.

Why are they not babies?

1) We don't have funerals when a girlfriend gets knocked up, because premarital sex is OK but somehow contraception isn't. Go figure. Still, she bleeds a little bit and people cry on the phone to me but are fine after a couple days. I took this example about this LDS couple who hung out with me in High School in Wyoming. I hung out with everyone back then. I just wanted friends and there were pretty bad nerd bullies at LVHS in my year, so I literally went to whatever place did "cool" teen stuff. One of those instances made the assistant principal tell my parents that I should go to community college for a year because he though "I wasn't responsible enough for real college". Community college sucks.

2) How many people like even those above talk about how they are going to be a mom or a dad 30 minutes after sex unless they are actually trying to get knocked up or to knock someone up?

3) Even very conservative people will say "keep IT!" and not "keep them!"

4)
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2019, 09:15:34 AM »

Damn, I hope she can get an abortion. Absolutely disgusting.

But, but, nobody likes abortion!

I am so very smart, he thought to himself as he typed his latest brilliant retort, nearly unable to contain his giddiness at the thought of a traumatized 11 year old rape victim facing permanent disability and possible death as she’s forced to give birth to a likely-unviable fetus with severe health complications. I’m the complete package. Unending compassion, a paragon of morality and virtue, and the most brilliant mind of this generation.

Obviously what she is going through is horrible, but the baby shouldn't be murdered for the crimes of the father.

Would you be so cavalier if someone in your family or a friend was in such a position?

Yes, as long as the pregnancy wasn't going to kill them.  And I would be willing to give most of my money if that was required for the child to live.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2019, 09:17:15 AM »

Are you seriously telling me you would force your 11 year old daughter to carry a baby to term?

That's what fundamentalist Muslims in Podunk Africa would say to justify female genital mutilation.

There's a really easy solution to this - stop considering fetuses (and/or earlier stages) that aren't far along enough to have any chance of surviving outside the womb to be "babies." That's a personal, conscious choice you've made and think that everyone else should be bound by.

Why are they not babies?

1) We don't have funerals when a girlfriend gets knocked up, because premarital sex is OK but somehow contraception isn't. Go figure. Still, she bleeds a little bit and people cry on the phone to me but are fine after a couple days. I took this example about this LDS couple who hung out with me in High School in Wyoming. I hung out with everyone back then. I just wanted friends and there were pretty bad nerd bullies at LVHS in my year, so I literally went to whatever place did "cool" teen stuff. One of those instances made the assistant principal tell my parents that I should go to community college for a year because he though "I wasn't responsible enough for real college". Community college sucks.

2) How many people like even those above talk about how they are going to be a mom or a dad 30 minutes after sex unless they are actually trying to get knocked up or to knock someone up?

4)

I don't get it.  What are you trying to say?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2019, 09:20:01 AM »

Why are they not babies?

4)

OC?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2019, 09:24:25 AM »

Why are they not babies?

4)

I don't get it.  What are you trying to say?

If people don't won't to get pregnant and don't want an abortion and don't use birth control, they shouldn't be having sex.

Even very conservative people still see the fetus as an object.

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2019, 09:25:12 AM »
« Edited: May 10, 2019, 11:06:55 AM by TDAS04 »

Absolutely horrible.  

It's obvious that many "pro-life" conservatives don't really care about babies.  They just want to teach pregnant girls a lesson in "personal responsibility" or whatever.  Ever noticed how conservatives oppose providing assistance to poor single mothers who need help caring for vulnerable infants?  If a mother can't afford to pay for a sick child's treatment, those on the right will say it's "her responsibility" and that "tax-payers shouldn't be burdened".  Such much for protecting innocent life!

Not all pro-lifers are like that, so calm down if you think I'm saying that all are.  It is, nonetheless, obvious that too many are, especially anti-choice men.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2019, 09:25:28 AM »

Sure... you're just advocating playing a Russian roulette with her life. She's 11-years old and at this age giving a birth poses a very serious risk of death or permanent disability.

Some people here are full of compassion toward the poor embryo, but show no slightest concern for the girl. Not only did she went through an unimaginable trauma of being raped, now all you see in her is a breeding cattle.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2019, 10:14:12 AM »
« Edited: May 10, 2019, 10:22:16 AM by GP270watch »

Can we please ban anybody who actually believes the Government should force a child to have a child because she was raped by a pedophile. How is this even a credible opinion to hold in the year 2019?

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2019, 10:20:57 AM »

Can we please ban anybody who actually believes the Government should force a child to have a child because she was raped. How is this even a credible opinion to hold in the year 2019?

y'all Qaeda continues to get stronger in America.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2019, 10:24:52 AM »
« Edited: May 10, 2019, 11:00:29 AM by GP270watch »

Can we please ban anybody who actually believes the Government should force a child to have a child because she was raped. How is this even a credible opinion to hold in the year 2019?

y'all Qaeda continues to get stronger in America.

Surely we would ban anybody who came on here advocating pedophilia. An 11 year old girl was raped by a pedophile and some people are saying the moral thing is for the United States Government to force a child to have the baby of the rapist.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2019, 11:15:37 AM »

Quote from: Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ link=topic=319677.msg6790613#msg67906130

Incredibly normal beliefs that are soon to be the law of the land being bannable! Classic!

Condoning pedophilia is not normal. Maybe in your neck of the woods.

Somebody's citizenship has nothing to do with them raping a child. Using that logic maybe we should get rid of all men, since there are rapists among men of all races and nationalities.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2019, 11:22:07 AM »

Ohio also wants to ban many forms of birth control, including The Pill.

Do people not realize how illogical it is to be against abortion and against birth control at the same time? how dumb can you be.

The pill can cause abortion.  I am not against forms of birth control that can only work before fertilization, but, since life begins at fertilization, it is unacceptable for a form of "contraception" to stop an already fertilized life from implanting.  I don't know that I would call it murder, since that wasn't the main intent, but perhaps manslaughter (if people really understood that the pill IS sometimes an abortion).

A fertilized egg is a baby? what's next, every sperm is sacred?

I, for one, believe that life begins at arousal.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2019, 11:25:03 AM »

Incredibly normal beliefs that are soon to be the law of the land being bannable! Classic!

Somebody's citizenship has nothing to do with them raping a child. Using that logic maybe we should get rid of all men, since there are rapists among men of all races and nationalities.
That’s the angle you’re taking?  You’re letting your anger crap up your argument skills.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2019, 11:32:11 AM »

Do people not realize how illogical it is to be against abortion and against birth control at the same time? how dumb can you be.

The pill can cause abortion.  I am not against forms of birth control that can only work before fertilization, but, since life begins at fertilization, it is unacceptable for a form of "contraception" to stop an already fertilized life from implanting.  I don't know that I would call it murder, since that wasn't the main intent, but perhaps manslaughter (if people really understood that the pill IS sometimes an abortion).

Life began almost 4 billion years ago.  In that time, there have been many many more abortions, miscarriages, stillborns, infanticides, and child death than there have been successful generational reproduction to reproduction.  Look around you.  You are surrounded by death and decay.  Far more of it than life.  But I prefer to see the glass as half full.  Half full of sh**t, and half full of potential sh**t.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2019, 11:44:58 AM »

The pill can cause abortion.  I am not against forms of birth control that can only work before fertilization, but, since life begins at fertilization, it is unacceptable for a form of "contraception" to stop an already fertilized life from implanting.  I don't know that I would call it murder, since that wasn't the main intent, but perhaps manslaughter (if people really understood that the pill IS sometimes an abortion).

Life began almost 4 billion years ago.  In that time, there have been many many more abortions, miscarriages, stillborns, infanticides, and child death than there have been successful generational reproduction to reproduction.  Look around you.  You are surrounded by death and decay.  Far more of it than life.  But I prefer to see the glass as half full.  Half full of sh**t, and half full of potential sh**t.

That’s the spirit! Since I’ve seen the (black) light and accepted that life begins at arousal, I’ve seen that the world is full of death. I think that anyone who looks at another person with anything more than vague interest is guilty of MURDER if they don’t immediately make a baby with their arousal.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2019, 11:48:23 AM »

That’s the angle you’re taking?  You’re letting your anger crap up your argument skills.

I have no idea what you're talking about.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2019, 12:00:00 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2019, 01:11:24 PM by Thomas from NJ »

Believing that an unborn baby shouldn't be killed because of a crime he didn't commit doesn't mean you're glad said crime took place, nor does it mean you think it should happen more often.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2019, 12:19:59 PM »

If people don't won't to get pregnant and don't want an abortion and don't use birth control, they shouldn't be having sex.

I agree. That's precisely what most of us argue. Was this supposed to be some kind of gotcha?

Believing that an unborn baby shouldn't be killed because of a crime he didn't commit doesn't mean you're glad said crime took place, nor does it mean you think it should happen more often.

There is no strawman, Mr. Debater. An 11 year old girl was actually raped and people on here are really advocating that The United States Government should compound that injustice and trauma by forcing her to give birth as the result of the trauma caused to her by a pedophile. That's as real as it gets, so again not a strawman.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2019, 12:24:05 PM »

Can we please ban anybody who actually believes the Government should force a child to have a child because she was raped by a pedophile. How is this even a credible opinion to hold in the year 2019?

Maybe we shouldn't have let the rapist come to America in the first place.
WOW. You should probably speak with a professional about that...
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2019, 12:25:12 PM »

I regularly communicate with @RealDonaldTrump on the Twitter. We are doing the best we can.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2019, 12:31:11 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2019, 01:16:38 PM by King TChenka »

I regularly communicate with @RealDonaldTrump on the Twitter. We are doing the best we can.
Did you "recommend" your own post? It was JUST posted and it has one "recommendation". I think that's considered a faux pas, my dear boy.

EDIT - formatting
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies