11 year old rape victim forced to carry to term thanks to Ohio law.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 04:06:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  11 year old rape victim forced to carry to term thanks to Ohio law.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22
Author Topic: 11 year old rape victim forced to carry to term thanks to Ohio law.  (Read 24448 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: May 14, 2019, 11:16:42 AM »

I'm claiming the number of parents wanting to adopt a baby - of any race - are far greater than the number available for adoption in this country.

It would be shorter to just say you don't really know what you're talking about.

What is inaccurate?

20 k unrelated domestic infant adoptions per year vs. hundreds of thousands currently seeking to adopt, and millions more who would be willing to.

Were there more successful adoptions per capita when abortion was illegal?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #326 on: May 14, 2019, 11:27:10 AM »
« Edited: May 14, 2019, 11:34:24 AM by أندرو »

I'm claiming the number of parents wanting to adopt a baby - of any race - are far greater than the number available for adoption in this country.

It would be shorter to just say you don't really know what you're talking about.

What is inaccurate?

20 k unrelated domestic infant adoptions per year vs. hundreds of thousands currently seeking to adopt, and millions more who would be willing to.

Numbers have fallen since 1970 when they peaked but not drastically. Prior to 1950, institutions were more popular and adoptions rare. But while there's been Roe v Wade there has also been a fall in children per couple anyway and an increase in fertility.

Factory farming children as a commodity through banning abortions to meet the 'demand' for adoptions is quite frankly, f-cking creepy.

Edit: Stats dump https://pages.uoregon.edu/adoption/archive/MazaAT.htm.

Adoptions now at about 135k. Fertility rate down from 2.5 to 1.9 in the same period. So the fall, relatively, is broadly the same.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #327 on: May 14, 2019, 11:35:25 AM »

Imagine growing up knowing that your life was the product of your daddy raping your mommy while she was in fifth grade.  Or not knowing because your family chose to lie to you your whole life instead.

Heartwarming stuff.

Imagine being told by a bunch of woke people it'd be better if you were killed in the womb.

No...?  Why would anybody ever say that?  Is this what you think being pro-choice is about?

Then what is the point of your sarcasm about it being "heartwarming" that such a child would be given the chance to live?

There's no guarantee that such a child would live after birth. Who is to say that the mother wouldn't harm the baby out of rage over being forced to give birth to it or just subject it to years and years of abuse?

There are never any guarantees.  But why have such a low opinion of a sexual assault survivor as to assume that is all they are capable of?
If she doesn't feel able to raise the child herself, there are many people who would gladly give the child a loving home.

Few of which are Republicans, that's how I am different from the republicans in my pro-life leanings, I care about the children after they are born.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #328 on: May 14, 2019, 12:11:05 PM »

What is inaccurate?

Numbers have fallen since 1970 when they peaked but not drastically. Prior to 1950, institutions were more popular and adoptions rare. But while there's been Roe v Wade there has also been a fall in children per couple anyway and an increase in fertility.

Factory farming children as a commodity through banning abortions to meet the 'demand' for adoptions is quite frankly, f-cking creepy.

Adoptions now at about 135k. Fertility rate down from 2.5 to 1.9 in the same period. So the fall, relatively, is broadly the same.

There were many adoptions prior to 1950, as any genealogist can tell you, but very often done informally, and statistics on it were spotty.

43.1 million women ages 15-44 in 1970 vs. 63.5 million today.  That more than cancels out the drop in the fertility rate.
https://www.populationpyramid.net/united-states-of-america/1970/

The number of adoptions per births to unmarried women, in particular, is much lower than before Roe and the sexual revolution.

Commercial surrogacy treats children as a commodity.  Encouraging adoption rather them rather than killing them doesn't.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #329 on: May 14, 2019, 12:17:45 PM »

There are never any guarantees.  But why have such a low opinion of a sexual assault survivor as to assume that is all they are capable of?
If she doesn't feel able to raise the child herself, there are many people who would gladly give the child a loving home.

Few of which are Republicans, that's how I am different from the republicans in my pro-life leanings, I care about the children after they are born.

if the only people you know who'd be interested in adoption are Democrats that's kinda unusual but okay, I'm sure they'd be make fine parents anyway
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #330 on: May 14, 2019, 01:04:41 PM »

if the only people you know who'd be interested in adoption are Democrats that's kinda unusual but okay, I'm sure they'd be make fine parents anyway

An attempt at humour? Stick to being egregious Cheesy
Omega21

« Reply #331 on: May 14, 2019, 01:23:37 PM »

Wait, how is she forced to carry if she can just get the abortion right after she was saved...

I'm against the heartbeat bill, and I would place the limit at when brain activity starts (with the usual exceptions ofc.).
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #332 on: May 14, 2019, 01:53:20 PM »

An 11-year old who is pregnant is likely on the more mature side physiologically and anatomically for her age, but of course a medical determination of the risks must be made in each individual case.   So the medical specifics guide what's permissible, but with the conviction that if it's possible to protect the health of the young mother, it's always better to protect the life growing inside her, for her own sake as well, and support her with everything she needs during her pregnancy and birth. Giving birth can be an affirmation of life and hope in the face of grave injustice; abortion compounds the tragedy.

One of the single most disgusting things I have read on this site, especially the parts that I emphasized. I’m not even going to dignify it with my usual trolling reply.

Shua has officially jumped the shark, Humanity wise.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #333 on: May 14, 2019, 01:53:54 PM »

An 11-year old who is pregnant is likely on the more mature side physiologically and anatomically for her age, but of course a medical determination of the risks must be made in each individual case.   So the medical specifics guide what's permissible, but with the conviction that if it's possible to protect the health of the young mother, it's always better to protect the life growing inside her, for her own sake as well, and support her with everything she needs during her pregnancy and birth. Giving birth can be an affirmation of life and hope in the face of grave injustice; abortion compounds the tragedy.

One of the single most disgusting things I have read on this site, especially the parts that I emphasized. I’m not even going to dignify it with my usual trolling reply.

I am pro-life, but some of the stuff in this thread is too far and delusional.

Unfortunately, it's also mainstream among most pro-lifers.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #334 on: May 14, 2019, 01:56:31 PM »

Imagine growing up knowing that your life was the product of your daddy raping your mommy while she was in fifth grade.  Or not knowing because your family chose to lie to you your whole life instead.

Heartwarming stuff.

Imagine being told by a bunch of woke people it'd be better if you were killed in the womb.

No...?  Why would anybody ever say that?  Is this what you think being pro-choice is about?

Then what is the point of your sarcasm about it being "heartwarming" that such a child would be given the chance to live?

I was putting myself in the lose-lose existential crisis that being an adult that was once a baby conceived by rape would inevitably create.  How much therapy would solve that?  I wouldn't be surprised if severe depression and suicide were common threats to such a person.

You, for some reason, argued that the pro-choice crowd would be happy to inform this same person that yeah, it absolutely would be better if they'd been aborted.  You do realize that basically everybody in the pro-choice camp (excluding the eugenics assholes) is theoretically supportive of every mother's decision whether or not to abort?

See, I can easily imagine myself, even at age 62, dropping everything if that 11 year old were my granddaughter, raising her, caring for her, and caring for her daughter as well.  Teaching her to walk with God through all of this, to learn that the Joy of the Lord is her strength (as, indeed, it is for everyone, whether they know it or not).  "“But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.”  (Genesis 50:20)

Would the road be hard?  Of course it would be hard for an 11 year old girl in that situation.  Would it be harder for an 11 year old with Spina Bifida?  Would it be harder for an 11 year old who is suddenly blinded?  I don't really know if those paths are harder or not; none of them are paths I would wish for myself, or for those I love.  (Or for anyone, truthfully.)  The question is what does God expect a parent of a child in such a situation to do?

My children are all boys, but my grandchildren are all girls.  I would not be ashamed of my 11 year old granddaughter in the least, nor would I be ashamed of my grandchild, no matter who the biological father was.  They would know the love of myself and my wife as long as we live and the memory of our love all their days.  Furthermore, they would know the Love of God because we would not fail to introduce them to a God that would never leave them, would always be there for them, and would never fail them.  

Many here speak of this 11 year old child giving birth as something awful.  Certainly an 11 year old child being raped and impregnated is awful; it is something that should never happen.  But when she's 22, would I want this child, if she were my granddaughter, to come to me crying and say, "Grandpa, why did you let me kill my baby?"  People act as if that's not an option; the person having an abortion suffering unbearable and traumatizing guilt years after the fact, but it certainly happens, and it happens much more than the pro-choice crowd wishes to believe.

I believe that through God, all things are possible.  I believe in a God that makes the crooked paths straight.  I don't believe in Utopia this side of Heaven, but I do very much believe in a God whose Grace is sufficient for every person in every situation.  The alternative here is to say of the unborn child "Let's have the abortion and get it over with."  The alternative here is to say to the 11 year old having the abortion "Once this is over, you can get on with your life."  I hope to never have to see any of my granddaughters (or any 11 year old girl, period, for that matter) in this terrible situation.  But ONLY through God can there be a good ending to something like this.

I'm sure that some here will think me ridiculous.  I really don't care.

The problem is fuzzy, while I believe you, not all individuals have the family support or ability to do so. That's why there should be a choice. This is also why pro-lifers absolutely need to stand up straight and tall for Cradle to the Grave support for such children admit they are utter hypocrites.

BTW, I'm still waiting your response to how many years in prison lost should have imposed upon your girlfriend if she got an abortion. Anytime you're ready.....
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #335 on: May 14, 2019, 01:58:48 PM »

Imagine growing up knowing that your life was the product of your daddy raping your mommy while she was in fifth grade.  Or not knowing because your family chose to lie to you your whole life instead.

Heartwarming stuff.

No...?  Why would anybody ever say that?  Is this what you think being pro-choice is about?

There's no guarantee that such a child would live after birth. Who is to say that the mother wouldn't harm the baby out of rage over being forced to give birth to it or just subject it to years and years of abuse?

Lots of children every year age out of foster care never having been adopted. Let’s not pretend this isn’t the case.

If a birth parent is seeking adoptive parents to take an infant, the foster care system isn't relevant.  In theory the primary goal of the foster care system is family reunification.  A child can be in the system for years before they are eligible for adoption.

The point is simply that not all children up for adoption get adopted, let alone to a loving, caring home. Stop being obtuse.

I'm being obtuse for pointing out that something wouldn't apply in this situation?  k.

Are you claiming every baby who goes up for adoption is swiftly adopted into a loving home? Because my wife and I went to a meeting at an adoption agency, and half of the couples straight up left the meeting when they were informed the available babies were almost certain to be black.

Oh good God, figs. That must have been so disheartening. I'm so sorry.

Best of luck in you and your wife's apparent attempts to adopt!
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #336 on: May 14, 2019, 02:01:05 PM »

Heartwarming stuff.

Lots of children every year age out of foster care never having been adopted. Let’s not pretend this isn’t the case.

If a birth parent is seeking adoptive parents to take an infant, the foster care system isn't relevant.  In theory the primary goal of the foster care system is family reunification.  A child can be in the system for years before they are eligible for adoption.

The point is simply that not all children up for adoption get adopted, let alone to a loving, caring home. Stop being obtuse.

I'm being obtuse for pointing out that something wouldn't apply in this situation?  k.

Are you claiming every baby who goes up for adoption is swiftly adopted into a loving home? Because my wife and I went to a meeting at an adoption agency, and half of the couples straight up left the meeting when they were informed the available babies were almost certain to be black.

This was a while back, when we were worried we were having fertility problems. That turned out to be hilariously not the case, and we're now expecting our fourth.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #337 on: May 14, 2019, 02:02:58 PM »

Heartwarming stuff.

This was a while back, when we were worried we were having fertility problems. That turned out to be hilariously not the case, and we're now expecting our fourth.

Awesome and congratulations! As you well know though, after to you stop playing man-to-man and suddenly you're on zone defense. Wink

Nevertheless, as a progressive, I must say how disappointed I am that you haven't kept up by having a few abortions. Or hopefully you did so in between the for kids? After all, As anti-abortion types no, we progressives love love love love love nothing more then women having abortions. Ranks right up there with Sunshine flowers and puppies on things that make us whimsical.

Really man, step it up with the fetus vacuums! Sad
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #338 on: May 14, 2019, 02:04:20 PM »

Heartwarming stuff.

Awesome and congratulations! As you well know though, after to you stop playing man-to-man and suddenly you're on zone defense. Wink

Nevertheless, as a progressive, I must say how disappointed I am that you haven't kept up by having a few abortions. Or hopefully you did so in between the for kids? After all, As anti-abortion types no, we progressives love love love love love nothing more then women having abortions. Ranks right up there with Sunshine flowers and puppies on things that make us whimsical.

Yeah, for being allegedly pro-infanticide, I haven't even attempted it once.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #339 on: May 14, 2019, 02:09:11 PM »

What is inaccurate?

So fertility is down 30% but abortions are down 50% per capita.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #340 on: May 14, 2019, 02:10:31 PM »

Heartwarming stuff.

WHAT?!?!? Shocked Horrors!

Hang that red Avatar in shame and make with a baby killing toot sweet. And you call yourself a progressive? Roll Eyes
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #341 on: May 14, 2019, 02:13:12 PM »

Imagine growing up knowing that your life was the product of your daddy raping your mommy while she was in fifth grade.  Or not knowing because your family chose to lie to you your whole life instead.

Heartwarming stuff.

No...?  Why would anybody ever say that?  Is this what you think being pro-choice is about?

There are never any guarantees.  But why have such a low opinion of a sexual assault survivor as to assume that is all they are capable of?

If a birth parent is seeking adoptive parents to take an infant, the foster care system isn't relevant.  In theory the primary goal of the foster care system is family reunification.  A child can be in the system for years before they are eligible for adoption.

I'm being obtuse for pointing out that something wouldn't apply in this situation?  k.

Hang that red Avatar in shame and make with a baby killing toot sweet. And you call yourself a progressive? Roll Eyes
You really shouldn't make him just jump into it like that or else he might become addicted to abortions. He really needs to enjoy each abortion. Try different ways. I think you really shouldn't have "the usual" until you have had like 5 or 6 different kinds. He might be a miso guy or maybe he would enjoy a traditional Fisherman's knuckle scrape. You never know until you try.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #342 on: May 14, 2019, 02:21:33 PM »

Heartwarming stuff.

There are never any guarantees.  But why have such a low opinion of a sexual assault survivor as to assume that is all they are capable of?

If a birth parent is seeking adoptive parents to take an infant, the foster care system isn't relevant.  In theory the primary goal of the foster care system is family reunification.  A child can be in the system for years before they are eligible for adoption.

I'm being obtuse for pointing out that something wouldn't apply in this situation?  k.

You really shouldn't make him just jump into it like that or else he might become addicted to abortions. He really needs to enjoy each abortion. Try different ways. I think you really shouldn't have "the usual" until you have had like 5 or 6 different kinds. He might be a miso guy or maybe he would enjoy a traditional Fisherman's knuckle scrape. You never know until you try.

Good point. The local place my wife and I frequent, JoJo's Infanticidarium, has a punch card system. Get 9 abortions there and your 10th one is free!

Though we did have some trouble with management refusing to honor a prior DLC scrape. They considered it the version of apps only at a restaurant rather than getting a full meal. Sheesh!
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #343 on: May 14, 2019, 02:29:13 PM »

I was wondering if this was an issue. There are a whole lot of people out there who aren't going to adopt black children (or other children of color) and that's unfortunate.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #344 on: May 14, 2019, 05:00:03 PM »

This thread is a great example of why 99.99% of abortion-related discussions between people with differing views inevitably become FUBAR.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #345 on: May 14, 2019, 05:25:06 PM »

I was wondering if this was an issue. There are a whole lot of people out there who aren't going to adopt black children (or other children of color) and that's unfortunate.

I wouldn't want black children being adopted by crazy white dogmatic Christians either. That's all kinds of wrong.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #346 on: May 14, 2019, 05:36:53 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2019, 05:40:11 PM by Badger »

This thread is a great example of why 99.99% of abortion-related discussions between people with differing views inevitably become FUBAR.

Actually, I think it's more that to have an ounce of credibility or basic human Common Ground, a pro-lifer has to at least believe in three basic and not at all radical concepts.

One, that exception should be made in instances of rape, incest, and danger to the mother's health.

2, active education and dissemination of birth control as part of sex education is crucial to avoid the unplanned pregnancies which are the root cause of all abortions.

3, while we don't have to adopt a Scandinavian like welfare system, a vigorous expansion of government programs designed to Aid the well-being of poor unwed mothers and their children, everything from funding 100% early childhood education kindergarten, to childcare opportunities, to education work training, to an expansion of food stamps and school lunch programs, Etc is necessary to both discourage economic factors pushing women towards abortion, but to also take care of these pregnancies who's birth is being proposed as legally mandated.

These are all I posit eminently reasonable, and frankly the bare minimum I think required to humanely support threatening women with prison if they choose to not to take even the earliest a pregnancy to full term. Unfortunately, as we've seen here, to find an any abortion Advocate who believes in any one of these three things is a minority among their crowd, and if I find one that actually believes in all three is a truly unique exception to the rule.

Even among that small Cadre of pro-lifers, I rarely get a straight answer to a fundamental question with shocks me that so few pro-life people ever consider. How many years prison should a woman receive for getting or attempting to get an abortion? This is not a hypothetical situation. Instead, this is going to be a direct and constant occurrence they are going to have to accept it. Mister lies that proposed this, but they seem to naively believed that if Roe v Wade is overturned than abortion will be outlawed at least in certain States, and then abortions will just stop happening. Warlock, end of problem, babies are safe and nobody except some back alley abortion doctors go to jail. That ain't going to happen unless, this is the case of at least one Bob I think extreme conservative mentioned have been passed in one of the southern states recently, there is an explicit permission for shooting the mother from prosecution. I seriously question how many pro-lifers will go along with that though.

Then, and only then, do I think any pro-lifer crosses the threshold from extremist religious zealot to at least reasonable and realistic.  I think I could have a reasonable conversation with that pro-lifer. I strongly suspect that would come away from the discussion still supporting a woman's right to choose abortion under the Roe versus Wade trimester framework for multiple reasons. Primarily, I firmly believe that even when outlawed abortions would still occur commonly,, but would be under conditions ranging from the sketchy and unsafe to the downright horrific Lee dangerous, and frequently resulting in the death of both the mother and the fetus. So ultimately the vast loss of individual liberty for women seeking to control their own reproduction and the risk to the lives and health of literally many thousands of women is simply not worth outlawing abortion as an option.

But I could, again, she having a reasonable discussion with that person. However, the main problem here is the person I've described does not constitute literally better than 95% of abortion opponents. The remaining 45% of the 99.9% of discussions that go to sh**t I will blame on personally obnoxious and shrill leftists whom can't have a legitimate political discussion with anyone they disagree with. The overriding problem, though, continues to be that the overwhelming majority of a abortion foes AR pigheaded extremists. Nothing proves this better than This Thread, frankly.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #347 on: May 14, 2019, 07:03:37 PM »

As in, I believe that children conceived due to rape have humanity?   
Yeah.  I didn't expect people here would like that position but I never realized how controversial it was before merely to state it.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #348 on: May 14, 2019, 07:05:37 PM »

Yeah.  I didn't expect people here would like that position but I never realized how controversial it was before merely to state it.

Quit the theatrics. You knew it would be extremely controversial.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #349 on: May 14, 2019, 07:14:28 PM »

Quit the theatrics. You knew it would be extremely controversial.

It honestly didn't occur to me and I still don't really understand why it is.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies