Likelier to Lose: Joni Ernst or John Bel Edwards
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:11:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Likelier to Lose: Joni Ernst or John Bel Edwards
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who is Likelier to lose reelection: Sen. Joni Ernst (R-IA) or Governor John Bel Edwards
Joni Ernst (R-IA)

John Bel Edwards (D-LA)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 88

Author Topic: Likelier to Lose: Joni Ernst or John Bel Edwards  (Read 1636 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2019, 01:45:42 PM »

Obviously, Ernst, because muh-elastic Iowa, muh-elastic South, muh-unbeatable titan John Bel Edwards. John Bel Edwards, because, the South is extremely polarized, just look at 2016 in NC, 2018 in FL, David Vitter was a Todd Akin-tier candidate and was damaged goods after all of those scandals. Meanwhile, Ernst losing is a Democratic pipe dream. But, some users will insist on the other

Also note to moderators:

Wasn't sure where to put this, move, if necessary
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 01:50:22 PM »

"The South is extremely polarized" has got to be some of the laziest Atlas level analysis out there.

Anyway, JBE is more likely to lose but he's still favored to win re-election. Just not as favored as Ernst.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 01:53:16 PM »

Edwards.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 03:19:02 PM »

Edwards easily
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 03:21:40 PM »

Lol at the 4 people who said Joni Ernst

Show yourselves
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 03:29:11 PM »

I voted Ernst.  The Farm economy should be a total trainwreck by then.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 03:39:15 PM »

NEITHER.

OMG.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 03:50:00 PM »

Clown Ernst will be shown the door by the Very Intelligent Swing Voters of the Great State of Iowa Who Vote For The Person, Not The Party.

Meanwhile Bel Edwards will use his socially conservative, fiscally liberal populism (Purple heart) to show that Louisiana is really a Democratic stronghold at heart.

Tbh there is a good case to say Ernst may be more likely to lose. Mediocre approvals (apparently), swingy as all hell state with Democratic successes actually happening more than once in recent history, polarization of federal races, etc. Dumb-o-crats seem to be angling to lose a winnable race again because she has an Iowa Values Haircut so that means she's BIPARTISAN or whatever.

Bel Edwards only has the fact the Louisiana is a very Republican state now as a mark against his electoral prospects. He only has clown-tier opponents (so far) and good approvals. Gubernatorial elections being less polarized, along with the electorate being smaller in an off-year election also helps immensely for him.

Things could affect both much closer to the election either strengthening them or weakening them... but that is how I see things on paper.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 04:41:07 PM »

I mean, Ernst's fate is at least somewhat tied to the national environment, while Edwards would need to lose a lot of popularity to lose regardless of the national environment. Yeah, Vitter was a terrible opponent, but so was Broseph Biggins, and both 2014 and 2015 were favorable years for Republicans.

Both will probably win, but the idea that Edwards will lose because of polarization, while Ernst is safe because of "retail politics" in a state that barely re-elected a Republican with a higher approval rating than her is kind of silly.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 04:48:21 PM »

You might want to include other politicos:

1.) Houston, TX Mayor Sylvester Turner (D): possibility he might miss the December Runoff.

2.) San Antonio, TX Mayor Ron Nirenberg (D)

3.) United States Senator Doug Jones (D-AL)

4.) United States Senator Cory Gardner (R-CO)

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 07:43:21 PM »

Edwards but it's less clear cut than you make it seem since federal races are more polarized than gubernatorial races. Vitter probably would have beaten Edwards if it was a Senate race in 2015.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 09:20:47 AM »

Of course - JBE. Louisiana is very conservative, and i don't see any signs of it becoming more liberal. If JBE would have any opponent, but Vitter, in 2015 - he would lose then....
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 12:09:19 PM »

Of course - JBE. Louisiana is very conservative, and i don't see any signs of it becoming more liberal. If JBE would have any opponent, but Vitter, in 2015 - he would lose then....

I just do NOT see Louisianans being that stupid in voting out a popular incumbent Governor with a record budget surplus & millions of Louisianans working, etc.,
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 12:12:26 PM »

I just do NOT see Louisianans being that stupid in voting out a popular incumbent Governor with a record budget surplus & millions of Louisianans working, etc.,

He does NOT have magical letter "R" after his name. On the contrary - he has dreaded "D". That may be enough...
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 12:17:53 PM »

JBE

He's favored to win by single digits. Odd year turnout will help him, but given 44% voted for diaper boy it's not that difficult to imagine Abraham winning if he runs a decent race. Ernst, on the other hand, would have to screw up big time or Trump would have to lose by a large margin in order for her to be defeated. I have them rated Lean D and Likely R respectively.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 01:48:50 PM »

He does NOT have magical letter "R" after his name. On the contrary - he has dreaded "D". That may be enough...

JBE can say, "I tried to reach out in a bipartisan way, but the obstructionists in the Legislature have been undermining the will of the voters since I've took office. From Medicaid Expansion (which JBE had announced during his January 11th, 2016 inaugural address) to Criminal Justice Reform, etc., the obstructionists have been plotting my political demise for no reason because they didn't get their way in the previous election."
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 02:13:18 PM »

JBE can say, "I tried to reach out in a bipartisan way, but the obstructionists in the Legislature have been undermining the will of the voters since I've took office. From Medicaid Expansion (which JBE had announced during his January 11th, 2016 inaugural address) to Criminal Justice Reform, etc., the obstructionists have been plotting my political demise for no reason because they didn't get their way in the previous election."

May be... I hope for his win, but still consider race to be 50-50...
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 05:16:07 PM »

John Bel Edwards. As has been shown in Missouri and Indiana in 2018; both less Republican than Louisiana is, its not possible for Democrats to win states where Trump received more than 59% of the 2-Party vote in 2016 outside of the most perfect of perfect storms.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2019, 05:29:42 PM »

Ernst atm. Would be more certain if Scholten were recruited.

SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2019, 07:26:53 PM »

Bel Edwards. He's only 4 points ahead of Ralph Abraham per the most recent poll, and only at 40%.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 11:49:09 AM »

Probably JBE, but both races are nowhere near as competitive as people are making them out to be.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 11:52:56 AM »

Probably JBE, but both races are nowhere near as competitive as people are making them out to be.

I agree with you due to Iowa voters loving their incumbents, but why exactly are you so intent on Iowa becoming this rock ribbed Republican state?
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2019, 01:50:49 PM »

Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2019, 12:55:09 AM »

#Bold Prediction: Ernst is 100% more likely to lose then Edwards.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2019, 09:53:51 AM »
« Edited: November 26, 2019, 04:16:23 PM by Cory Booker »

Ernst is a folksy populist like Tester and is part of VA like Tester, they both win close race and so does Reynolds
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies