Iran announces partial withdrawal from nuclear deal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:40:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Iran announces partial withdrawal from nuclear deal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Iran announces partial withdrawal from nuclear deal  (Read 2685 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2019, 05:36:34 PM »
« edited: May 13, 2019, 05:40:02 PM by tack50 »

Wow this stuff with Iran has really dragged the State of the "Europe-U.S. alliance" to the lowest point i have certainly have ever seen. Today the German Public Broadcaster (usually very measured and pro-atlantic) released an Editorial which called into question the entire necessity of Alliance with the U.S. (something that was considered a holy grail not to long ago) and called on Germany to "emancipate itself from the hawks in the USA".

Trump claims he doesn't want war. Why then do his "hawks" continue to threaten?

We have already seen what "Bomb Afghanistan" (a NATO mission where the German Army is currently deployed), "Bomb Irak" and "Bomb Syria" caused.
It is time (...) to decide against against our long-time Partners in the U.S. and for Iran

I will not go into what German users said in the comments about the U.S. but...yeah its not nice.
The unilateral Actions of the U.S. are destroying what was probably its most important relationship, in order to curry favour in Tel Aviv and Riyadh.  

Worth noting that Germany has traditionally had one of the less good relations with the US alongside France. I wonder how more traditionally pro-American countries in Europe (like say Poland or the UK) are reacting to it.

Of course it most certainly doesn't help relations at all. I'm not sure if any polling has been done on the issue, but I could see US-Europe relations polling at Irak War-like levels.

Edit: Also, my German is quite rusty, but I think that was not a proper editorial, but rather a "Letter to the Editor" of sorts instead

Redaktioneller Hinweis
Kommentare geben grundsätzlich die Meinung des jeweiligen Autors und nicht die der Redaktion wieder.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2019, 06:19:13 PM »

Trump is even less popular in the UK than Dubya was, which if you remember those days needs little further comment. It is telling that his only real friends here - the hardcore Brexiteers - very much want to keep that little detail quiet.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2019, 10:21:02 PM »

White House Reviews Military Plans Against Iran, in Echoes of Iraq War

At a meeting of President Trump’s top national security aides last Thursday, Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan presented an updated military plan that envisions sending as many as 120,000 troops to the Middle East should Iran attack American forces or accelerate work on nuclear weapons, administration officials said.

The revisions were ordered by hard-liners led by John R. Bolton, Mr. Trump’s national security adviser. It does not call for a land invasion of Iran, which would require vastly more troops, officials said.

Oh, for the  the good old days, when you at least had to be confirmed by the Senate before you could start a war.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies