1860: South unites behind Douglas (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:23:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1860: South unites behind Douglas (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1860: South unites behind Douglas  (Read 1236 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« on: May 09, 2019, 01:34:44 PM »

What do y'all think of this solely Lincoln vs Douglas matchup?

I say IN votes Democrat and OH votes Republican

Also what happened in SC
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 11:58:34 AM »

What do people think would have happened of Bell was the sole candidate? Also how badly would Breckinridge lose in a two way race?

Also, why did Lincoln win majorities in Northern states IRL, that it would have been unlikely to obtain in a two way race.

Also, to be honest, the 60-40 PV is not even the worst that it can get, as Lincoln won large majorities in New England, it would be interesting if someone can see just how large the PV-EV disparity can be
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 12:05:26 PM »

What do people think would have happened of Bell was the sole candidate? Also how badly would Breckinridge lose in a two way race?

Also, why did Lincoln win majorities in Northern states IRL, that it would have been unlikely to obtain in a two way race.

Also, to be honest, the 60-40 PV is not even the worst that it can get, as Lincoln won large majorities in New England, it would be interesting if someone can see just how large the PV-EV disparity can be

I think that the Democratic split and candidates attacking each other, drove moderate Northerners into the arms of Lincoln (with the exception of NY and NJ moderates), without a split, I think that, the candidates would not have been attacked as much

Just Bell:

Just Breckinridge:

Just Douglas:

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 03:05:48 PM »

I always have been curious on how much the historical perception would be on Douglas on the event that he somehow won. It would be very interesting to see a timeline of that.
Assuming he still dies in the summer of '61 (and I've never heard of the presidency improving one's health), we'd end up with President Joseph Lane or President Herschel Johnson, which would be . . . not good.

Lane is beyond terrible, but Johnson was one of the more moderate southern Democrats (note lower case "s"), he would basically be James Buchanan, all over again, which is bad, but not anywhere, near as bad as Lane.

Still puzzles me how Lane got elected in Oregon and Confederate sympathizers got elected in California
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies