Gaza–Israel clashes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:55:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Gaza–Israel clashes
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gaza–Israel clashes  (Read 1051 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 05, 2019, 01:19:11 PM »
« edited: May 05, 2019, 01:36:35 PM by Blind Jaunting »

link-wiki page

My guess, they need a distraction for their internal issues.  It's a trick used by our leaders since before we were apes.

urutzizu
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 01:29:39 PM »

Death Toll on Israeli side is four, highest since the 2014 clashes.

IDF is massing on Gaza border, a incursion into Gaza might be possible.

Also Israel has resumed with the first targeted assassination since 2014, hitting the Car of the Hamas commander in Gaza City

Pictures (no corpses): https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/inpictures/pictures-gaza-israel-violence-intensifies-invasion-fears-190505110730732.html  
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 04:50:23 PM »

Bibi might use this as cover to just fully go in and settle all of West Bank/Gaza Strip. Probably not, regardless though, this will happened eventually. Only questions are when, and will it be a rapid swipe or the continuation of settlements until there is no more room to take.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 04:59:30 PM »

They know that firing these rockets will only hurt their situation, and they don't care. But what can you expect from organizations that endorse suicide attacks on civilians.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 05:40:04 PM »

They know that firing these rockets will only hurt their situation, and they don't care. But what can you expect from organizations that endorse suicide attacks on civilians.
It actually massively helps the organization. Hamas was suffering with a possible uprising not that long ago, and this will only reinforce people to stand in circle around the flag. Now this doesn’t help the inhabitants, but we all know that they don’t care. Casualties will be in place, but the situation will allow for a few deaths on the Israeli side that counts as a win to the PR spinners at Hamas’s disposal.

I do hope Gazans can see through this and continue rioting for more effective leadership; like the Democratic Front or PFLP(-GC), that are more localized and people first than the rigid Islamic internationalists trash that caused Gaza’s economy to collapse in the first place.

Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 07:08:04 PM »

It actually massively helps the organization. Hamas was suffering with a possible uprising not that long ago, and this will only reinforce people to stand in circle around the flag. Now this doesn’t help the inhabitants, but we all know that they don’t care. Casualties will be in place, but the situation will allow for a few deaths on the Israeli side that counts as a win to the PR spinners at Hamas’s disposal.

I do hope Gazans can see through this and continue rioting for more effective leadership; like the Democratic Front or PFLP(-GC), that are more localized and people first than the rigid Islamic internationalists trash that caused Gaza’s economy to collapse in the first place.

I do agree that the Palestinian cause needs a face lift, and it should definitely occur, if only for moral reasons, but I fear that not a lot would change for them for the better even if it happens.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 10:33:52 PM »

Bibi might use this as cover to just fully go in and settle all of West Bank/Gaza Strip. Probably not, regardless though, this will happened eventually. Only questions are when, and will it be a rapid swipe or the continuation of settlements until there is no more room to take.

Bibi doesn't want Gaza.  There's no good place to put a settlement there unless it were cleansed of its current inhabitants and no one with even a shred of sanity thinks that'll ever happen.  Nor will this have any effect on the West Bank.  If Bibi decides to expend there, he won't bother with an excuse.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 11:16:56 PM »

I do agree that the Palestinian cause needs a face lift, and it should definitely occur, if only for moral reasons, but I fear that not a lot would change for them for the better even if it happens.
While I do care for an independent Palestine, my comments were not reserved must to give the struggle a facelift. I care foremost about the lives here of Palestinians here, then comes long term goals to ensure them.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 02:50:07 AM »

Lmao
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 04:00:19 PM »

When talking about Israel Palestinian fighting, it is important to provide a chronological reference by year.

Is it ?

I will come back in 47 years time to update this thread post.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 07:19:59 AM »

everyone should be thanking the scientists that created the Iron Dome, there would be a lot more dead on both sides without it
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 06:20:14 AM »

BBC mistranslates violent racists so they look slightly less racist
The BBC has claimed it was “accurate and true to the speakers’ intentions” for it to translate a Palestinian interviewee’s use of the word “yahud” to refer to an “Israeli” rather than a “Jew.”

The chilling interview was broadcast as part of the BBC documentary One Day in Gaza, about the ongoing border riots along the Israel-Gaza Strip border.

Bader Saleh, 24, the subject of the interview, said, “I’m not one for fighting or burning tires, but when I went, I was convinced by it. The revolutionary songs, they excite you, they encourage you to rip a Jew’s head off.”

Saleh used the word “yahud,” Arabic for “Jew.” The BBC, however, translated it as “Israeli,” leading to a storm of criticism charging the network with covering up Palestinian antisemitism.

The BBC strenuously denied the charges, with a spokesperson saying, “We sought expert advice on the translation before broadcast and we believe the translation of ‘Yahudi’ as ‘Israeli’ in this documentary is both accurate and true to the speakers’ intentions.”

The network’s Chief International Correspondent Lyse Doucet, also defended the decision, saying, “We talked to people in Gaza, we talked to translators.” She claimed they were told that when Gaza youths “say ‘Jews,’ they mean ‘Israelis.’”

“We felt it was a better translation of it,” she asserted.
let me translate that for you Ms Doucet.  "We felt that the Gazans came across as more racist than we wanted, so we changed some words to make them look less racist than they actually are, we are very sorry this was noticed, but we're going to die on this hill!"
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 11:37:13 PM »

BBC mistranslates violent racists so they look slightly less racist
The BBC has claimed it was “accurate and true to the speakers’ intentions” for it to translate a Palestinian interviewee’s use of the word “yahud” to refer to an “Israeli” rather than a “Jew.”

The chilling interview was broadcast as part of the BBC documentary One Day in Gaza, about the ongoing border riots along the Israel-Gaza Strip border.

Bader Saleh, 24, the subject of the interview, said, “I’m not one for fighting or burning tires, but when I went, I was convinced by it. The revolutionary songs, they excite you, they encourage you to rip a Jew’s head off.”

Saleh used the word “yahud,” Arabic for “Jew.” The BBC, however, translated it as “Israeli,” leading to a storm of criticism charging the network with covering up Palestinian antisemitism.

The BBC strenuously denied the charges, with a spokesperson saying, “We sought expert advice on the translation before broadcast and we believe the translation of ‘Yahudi’ as ‘Israeli’ in this documentary is both accurate and true to the speakers’ intentions.”

The network’s Chief International Correspondent Lyse Doucet, also defended the decision, saying, “We talked to people in Gaza, we talked to translators.” She claimed they were told that when Gaza youths “say ‘Jews,’ they mean ‘Israelis.’”

“We felt it was a better translation of it,” she asserted.
let me translate that for you Ms Doucet.  "We felt that the Gazans came across as more racist than we wanted, so we changed some words to make them look less racist than they actually are, we are very sorry this was noticed, but we're going to die on this hill!"

This is so... so... dumb!

Next time when someone tells me antisemitism isn't a problem on both sides, I'll use this example. Constructing a complete lie to erase antisemitism. And even if they believe Gazans use the word "Jews" to refer to Israelis, MAYBE THEY SHOULD THINK IF THERE'S A STRUCTURAL PROBLEM LEADING TO THAT. If someone used the word "blacks" to refer to ONLY Sudanese people, would they show it as racism against all blacks? Of course, and rightfully so. Why are Jews worth less?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 12:30:32 AM »

Your counterexample of Sudan would carry more weight if Israel were "a" Jewish state instead of "the" Jewish state.  That said, it was a stupid translation the BBC did. The fact that the Palestinians use Jew to mean Israeli might have been worthy of commenting upon in the documentary, but changing the term without notice was wrong.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies