Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:31:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64
Author Topic: Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes  (Read 93082 times)
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1425 on: September 09, 2021, 10:06:36 PM »

Force Awakens is a good movie
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1426 on: September 10, 2021, 12:15:54 AM »

Hands-down the worst opinion in this thread.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1427 on: September 10, 2021, 01:10:09 AM »

Health care is the only good welfare program.

THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #1428 on: September 10, 2021, 09:01:53 AM »

Speaking of Star Wars:

None of the Star Wars movies are even legitimately great pieces of cinema on their own except for Empire. You can also argue Episode 3 and 4 have their moments too, however.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1429 on: September 10, 2021, 11:24:02 AM »

Speaking of Star Wars:

None of the Star Wars movies are even legitimately great pieces of cinema on their own except for Empire. You can also argue Episode 3 and 4 have their moments too, however.

Is this even a hot take?
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #1430 on: September 10, 2021, 11:43:15 AM »

Speaking of Star Wars:

Is this even a hot take?

People get furious when I say A New Hope isn’t a very good film and that Revenge of the Sith is arguably the second or third best Star Wars movie.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #1431 on: September 10, 2021, 01:11:51 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2021, 01:16:50 PM by DaleCooper »

Speaking of Star Wars:

Is this even a hot take?

There's a lot of love for Return of the Jedi these days, which absolutely baffles me.

Star Wars was a landmark film that's fun and exciting, but ultimately it's more notable for its technical accomplishments related to visual effects than it is for being a great artistic feat. Unfortunately a lot of those accomplishments have been ruined by the 90s CGI version of the movie that's available now. Empire is a great film, but everything after that was questionable at best and often outright disastrous.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1432 on: September 10, 2021, 02:10:39 PM »

First of all, I think Star Wars is very overrated. I watched all 9 of them, unfortunately, but they were a poor use of my time and were, for the most part, nonsense.

Politically, my hot takes are that OH and IA shift leftward in 2024 (Trump in 2020 is a stronger candidate than any generic Republican in 2024 and even Trump in 2024, since January 6 probably won't just go away). Also, that GA doesn't shift that far to the left - a large amount of the leftward shift came from white, suburban moderates who were Romney/Biden voters, and I can see some of them supporting a Republican as long as that Republican isn't Trump or too closely associated to Trump. I know most of them are gone for the GOP now, but enough of them are probably left over to offset new, Democratic votes that come from demographic change so that even if GA shifts leftward, it doesn't do so by much. Lastly, I don't think FL is necessarily gone for the Democrats, and those who suggest otherwise are doomers. If Democrats work to regain Hispanic voters, there's absolutely no reason the state "can't" flip. Yes, it shifted rightward, but it still went red by just 3.5% - which is, theoretically, very much within striking distance for Democrats if they put their mind to it. The exception to this would be if DeSantis is the nominee, in which case it will be very difficult for the Democrats to flip FL.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1433 on: September 10, 2021, 02:51:42 PM »

I stand by what I said 😤
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #1434 on: September 10, 2021, 02:55:09 PM »

I disagree with you more heavily on this particular topic than anything related to politics, and I’m THG.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1435 on: September 10, 2021, 03:10:53 PM »

This is semantics, but I’m not sure if I would call universal healthcare a "welfare program." To me, the goal of welfare programs is to lend a hand to the disadvantaged. I wouldn’t say the same about universal healthcare, since its goal is to ensure coverage for everyone regardless of economic status. In that regard, it’s more comparable to public education than programs such as SNAP.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1436 on: September 10, 2021, 03:15:04 PM »

This is semantics, but I’m not sure if I would call universal healthcare a "welfare program." To me, the goal of welfare programs is to lend a hand to the disadvantaged. I wouldn’t say the same about universal healthcare, since its goal is to ensure coverage for everyone regardless of economic status. In that regard, it’s more comparable to public education than programs such as SNAP.

I was referring to UHC.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1437 on: September 10, 2021, 03:21:38 PM »

UHC stands for universal health care.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1438 on: September 10, 2021, 03:23:55 PM »

I'm aware of that.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1439 on: September 10, 2021, 03:36:21 PM »

Then why did you feel the need to clarify that you were referring to universal healthcare? I knew you were referring to universal healthcare; my post was a criticism of your assumption that universal healthcare is a welfare program.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #1440 on: September 12, 2021, 07:45:06 AM »

Soda/Pop/Coke is overrated. I don’t like it because of the burning sensation the carbonation gives me.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1441 on: September 12, 2021, 10:56:35 PM »

water is kinda overrated tbh
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1442 on: September 13, 2021, 04:43:02 PM »

The Sea Peoples of the Bronze Age collapse came from Spain and Morocco 
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1443 on: November 23, 2021, 12:00:18 PM »

Based on another thread, bringing this back to say multiple choice tests are the worst kind of test (commonly used in modern education, that is.)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1444 on: November 23, 2021, 12:19:07 PM »

Since it's Taco Tuesday everywhere I'll just say I hate tacos.  Kthxbye.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1445 on: November 23, 2021, 02:00:28 PM »

I'd love to hear what this is based on.  I am a pretty big proponent that academic historians tend to "dig their heels in" on theories and be irrationally resistant to rewriting our historical timelines, but I had never heard this suggested.  I do find it probable that if "Atlantis" was based off of a distant memory of a (relatively) advanced civilization suffering the effects of the Ice Age ending, it was likely on the western coast of Spain or Morocco and not actually "in the Atlantic" (though it very well could have seemed that way to ancient sailors).
kyc0705

« Reply #1446 on: December 08, 2021, 05:49:54 PM »

I really don't like the prevailing online assumption that the best/only way to evaluate TV shows and movies is by how many plot holes you find, overanalyzing every plot twist, and trying to "explain" stories and endings like they're crossword puzzles. Obsessing over plotting is such a fundamentally uncurious and formulaic way to think about art.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1447 on: December 09, 2021, 08:18:59 AM »

I'd love to hear what this is based on.  I am a pretty big proponent that academic historians tend to "dig their heels in" on theories and be irrationally resistant to rewriting our historical timelines, but I had never heard this suggested.  I do find it probable that if "Atlantis" was based off of a distant memory of a (relatively) advanced civilization suffering the effects of the Ice Age ending, it was likely on the western coast of Spain or Morocco and not actually "in the Atlantic" (though it very well could have seemed that way to ancient sailors).
Primarily because there is research that shows that thanks to a volcanic eruption there was a climate shift in the Iberian Peninsula during the late Bronze Age. On top of that during the late bronze age the Iberian Peninsula had many well established coastal civilizations that had extensive trading with the Mediterranean. So combine a sudden cold front entering Bronze Age Spain, with the fact the people there were really good at sailing the Mediterranean, and the fact these “Sea people” caught the bronze age world off guard and it is not a leap to theorize that the sea people may have been from bronze age Spain
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1448 on: January 06, 2022, 10:24:06 PM »

I could totally see a scenario in say ten years where backlash against it from the Latino community will finally result in "Latinx" being canceled (and what a wonderful thing that'll be!) and it'll be regarded as a racist term and the wokies of the time will condemn anyone who uses it, and/or where a megacorp uses "bodies" as a synonym for "people" in a tweet referring to their workers or something and it comes across as just as creepy and dystopian as it is, and then backlash results in that phrasing also falling out of favor, and now people need to apologize for old writings where they used it, etc.

The obvious solution is to just speak English like a normal person and not use these silly terms and spellings to begin with.

The left needs to understand that there are two things that will always be losing issues. Those are: controlling how people think, and controlling how people talk. Those things either happen naturally or not at all. Unfortunately the left seems to care more about social engineering than bettering people's lives.

Liberaltarian take: Social engineering is good if it involves shaping consumer behavior (e.g. incentivizing public transit and biking instead of driving everywhere, eating less meat and junk food, etc.) that betters their lives. Attempting to control how people think or talk, on the other hand...
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1449 on: February 22, 2022, 03:43:32 PM »

Women shouldn't be judged negatively in any way for being sex workers.

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies