Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:52:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 64
Author Topic: Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes  (Read 92329 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1400 on: April 20, 2021, 09:07:56 PM »

Anyone who thinks the jurors in the Chauvin trial weren't under enormous pressure to convict to avoid widespread destruction across Minneapolis and the nation and threats to their own lives is kidding themselves.  Perhaps the verdict would have been the same without this threat, but we cannot know.   The threat of riot is incompatible with the ancient principle of trial by "the lawful judgment of his peers" as questions of guilt or innocence are left behind in favor of a scapegoat mechanism where one is sacrificed to protect the many.   This is a much greater danger to the institutions of government and justice in our society than any stolen election.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1401 on: April 21, 2021, 04:37:00 AM »

There is nothing immoral with getting sterilized or taking other actions designed to prevent oneself from having children, and then lying about it in a relationship to someone who wants children.

The inverse is of course still immoral though.

So you think it's perfectly acceptable to manipulate someone into a relationship?
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1402 on: April 22, 2021, 01:17:59 PM »

My two adult daughters disagree on the governor's fate. They say he should resign. I say let's wait for the investigation's report. Cuomo's daily press conferences  last year brought sanity to our lives. it was like having a therapy session. He calmed us and for that I am grateful. As the daughter of an Italian American father, I believe Cuomo's actions , from what has been reported, is not only a cultural divide, but generational.  Sorry, but I'll await the report and the context from which his actions and comments were taken
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #1403 on: April 22, 2021, 01:19:23 PM »

Pics?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1404 on: April 22, 2021, 01:22:13 PM »

Mods, please ban.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1405 on: April 22, 2021, 02:04:29 PM »

Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #1406 on: May 21, 2021, 10:22:37 AM »

I find the abbreviated term "state lege" (for state legislature) to be incredibly disconcerting. What's wrong with "state leg"?
Pink Panther

« Reply #1407 on: May 21, 2021, 01:10:24 PM »

Trump is a campaign genius, atleast in 2016, since he was able to get his name in the headlines at an insane rate, gaining free coverage and standing out of the GOP field in the process. Although seeming immature, his name-calling destroyed candidates' momentum, and for some, their careers. He also simplified his policies, to catchphrases, such as MAGA, building a wall, bombing the S out of terrorists, etc., which appealed to what would become his base. Then again, his opponents ran sub-par campaigns at best.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #1408 on: June 16, 2021, 04:03:58 PM »

I think I would have voted No to most Irish constitutional referenda on principle purely because I believe certain matters should be outside of the scope of a constitution.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1409 on: June 17, 2021, 08:49:37 AM »

I think I would have voted No to most Irish constitutional referenda on principle purely because I believe certain matters should be outside of the scope of a constitution.
Oh man just wait until you learn about Florida's combination oil drilling/vaping ban, enshrined in the Constitution forever.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #1410 on: June 17, 2021, 09:02:09 AM »

Oh man just wait until you learn about Florida's combination oil drilling/vaping ban, enshrined in the Constitution forever.

...wow. I am starting to think Florida might need a new, lighter, state constitution.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1411 on: June 24, 2021, 09:04:28 PM »

The US provoked Japan into attacking by embargoing a country that had done nothing to us. Before you get upset and start screaming that I'm a fascist, stop and think about one thing. How would the US respond if someone tried to cut off our oil supply? If you said anything different than "bomb them into dirt" I suggest you visit a proctologist because you seem to have your head stuck up your rectum.

The scenario you’re talking about literally happened in 1973/4. The United States did not bomb Algeria, Iraq, Syria, Egypt, Kuwait, Libya, or Saudi Arabia into the dirt as a result.

Imperial Japan had no right to America’s oil; saying we “provoked” their attack by denying them it is absurd. This take is definitely in the correct thread.
Trying to destroy someone’s economy when they haven’t done anything to you literally is provoking them. America has no right to stick its nose in other nations business. Who died and made us the protectors of east Asia? Also there was a reason the oil embargo happened, we were funding their enemy. Ask Iraq what the US will do to secure oil supplies.

Rape of Manchuria does not equal doing nothing. Deciding we don't want to sell oil to another country so it can lubricate it's genocide a war machine is hardly sticking our nose in other countries Affairs. It's our oil We could decide what to do with it or not and we did, for the better.

What's more, the Embargo was also Place knowing that your pan with a growing military threat and likely to engage in confrontation with the US based on its rampant and aggressive imperialism at the time. Why on Earth would you give you're likely perspective enemy plenty of War juice to stockpile and use against you?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1412 on: June 24, 2021, 09:09:43 PM »

Anyone who thinks the jurors in the Chauvin trial weren't under enormous pressure to convict to avoid widespread destruction across Minneapolis and the nation and threats to their own lives is kidding themselves.  Perhaps the verdict would have been the same without this threat, but we cannot know.   The threat of riot is incompatible with the ancient principle of trial by "the lawful judgment of his peers" as questions of guilt or innocence are left behind in favor of a scapegoat mechanism where one is sacrificed to protect the many.   This is a much greater danger to the institutions of government and justice in our society than any stolen election.

Cool story bro! Tell me, does this mean that the state jury that acquitted be La cops who beat the hell out of Rodney King were simply Noble upstanding individuals who defied the threat of riot?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1413 on: June 24, 2021, 10:23:28 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2021, 10:26:43 PM by 🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸 »

Cool story bro! Tell me, does this mean that the state jury that acquitted be La cops who beat the hell out of Rodney King were simply Noble upstanding individuals who defied the threat of riot?

There's no way to know exactly what they were thinking, but I don't believe the threat of riot was as salient, as there wasn't a recent precedent for it afaik.  Also that was at the high tide of crime in LA, so restraining police in any way may have itself been seen as the greater risk.  Besides which some people, maybe more then than now, felt if you drive drunk you are risking the life of innocent people and deserve whatever you get.  Seems like drunk driving was treated as a bigger deal in the culture back then, at least I heard a lot growing up about how bad it is.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1414 on: June 24, 2021, 10:43:22 PM »

...wow. I am starting to think Florida might need a new, lighter, state constitution.
You're not wrong, but it's not even the state most in need of this.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #1415 on: June 25, 2021, 07:20:32 AM »

You're not wrong, but it's not even the state most in need of this.

Damn. Alabama is a failed state.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1416 on: June 25, 2021, 08:09:58 AM »

There's no way to know exactly what they were thinking, but I don't believe the threat of riot was as salient, as there wasn't a recent precedent for it afaik.  Also that was at the high tide of crime in LA, so restraining police in any way may have itself been seen as the greater risk.  Besides which some people, maybe more then than now, felt if you drive drunk you are risking the life of innocent people and deserve whatever you get.  Seems like drunk driving was treated as a bigger deal in the culture back then, at least I heard a lot growing up about how bad it is.
Wow that is some grade a bullsh*t right there. The attempt to try and portray the King jurors in a positive light while condemning the Chauvin ones is beyond hypocritical
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1417 on: June 25, 2021, 01:17:39 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2021, 01:37:24 PM by 🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸 »

Anyone who thinks the jurors in the Chauvin trial weren't under enormous pressure to convict to avoid widespread destruction across Minneapolis and the nation and threats to their own lives is kidding themselves.  Perhaps the verdict would have been the same without this threat, but we cannot know.   The threat of riot is incompatible with the ancient principle of trial by "the lawful judgment of his peers" as questions of guilt or innocence are left behind in favor of a scapegoat mechanism where one is sacrificed to protect the many.   This is a much greater danger to the institutions of government and justice in our society than any stolen election.

There's no way to know exactly what they were thinking, but I don't believe the threat of riot was as salient, as there wasn't a recent precedent for it afaik.  Also that was at the high tide of crime in LA, so restraining police in any way may have itself been seen as the greater risk.  Besides which some people, maybe more then than now, felt if you drive drunk you are risking the life of innocent people and deserve whatever you get.  Seems like drunk driving was treated as a bigger deal in the culture back then, at least I heard a lot growing up about how bad it is.
Wow that is some grade a bullsh*t right there. The attempt to try and portray the King jurors in a positive light while condemning the Chauvin ones is beyond hypocritical

I'm so tired.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1418 on: June 25, 2021, 02:09:29 PM »

If trans activists themselves can’t agree on issues relating to gender, then they can’t get mad at people who aren’t trans activists disagreeing with them on issues relating to gender.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1419 on: June 26, 2021, 12:52:44 PM »

Anyone who thinks the jurors in the Chauvin trial weren't under enormous pressure to convict to avoid widespread destruction across Minneapolis and the nation and threats to their own lives is kidding themselves.  Perhaps the verdict would have been the same without this threat, but we cannot know.   The threat of riot is incompatible with the ancient principle of trial by "the lawful judgment of his peers" as questions of guilt or innocence are left behind in favor of a scapegoat mechanism where one is sacrificed to protect the many.   This is a much greater danger to the institutions of government and justice in our society than any stolen election.

There's no way to know exactly what they were thinking, but I don't believe the threat of riot was as salient, as there wasn't a recent precedent for it afaik.  Also that was at the high tide of crime in LA, so restraining police in any way may have itself been seen as the greater risk.  Besides which some people, maybe more then than now, felt if you drive drunk you are risking the life of innocent people and deserve whatever you get.  Seems like drunk driving was treated as a bigger deal in the culture back then, at least I heard a lot growing up about how bad it is.

I'm so tired.

It's hypocritical to say that one group of jurors were responding to the social pressures of their time and place, but also say that another group of jurors were responding to the social pressures of their time and place.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1420 on: July 12, 2021, 02:04:30 AM »

Dems obsession with attacking 'wokeness' rather than countering the dangerous narrative coming from Republicans is nothing more than the latest act of turning their guns on the very people who they claim to stand up for. 

They're either too cowardly, or too lazy, to actually counter anything Republicans are saying and launch a real ad offensive--and if they lose the next election, this will be the root cause.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #1421 on: August 20, 2021, 09:23:04 PM »

It's more likely that New York state loses two or more seats after the 2030 census apportionment than it is that Texas gains two seats or less.

In fact, the two states' representative numbers are most likely to look something like this in my opinion:

Image Link

New York state losing 2 and Texas gaining four.

Agree or disagree?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #1422 on: August 21, 2021, 05:13:38 PM »

It is long since time to dissolve the useless, bloated, and reactionary Department of Homeland Security. They endanger the U.S. more than any of the enemies of the U.S.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #1423 on: August 21, 2021, 06:31:35 PM »

taxes should only be on economic rents like land value and there should be no such thing as income/capital gains/corporate, sales/VAT, property taxes
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #1424 on: September 06, 2021, 04:04:52 PM »

We should have an immigration moratorium for the next 20 years
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to: