Joe Biden: "I actually like Dick Cheney"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 07:44:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Joe Biden: "I actually like Dick Cheney"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Joe Biden: "I actually like Dick Cheney"  (Read 5577 times)
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2019, 07:19:28 PM »

If our political system was sane, your average Republican would be like Biden and your average Democrat would be like Sanders or AOC.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2019, 07:22:45 PM »

If our political system was sane, your average Republican would be like Biden and your average Democrat would be like Sanders or AOC.

Lmao. What country in the world is your model of a “sane” political system? One that represents less than a tenth of a percentage of the world’s population?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2019, 07:24:41 PM »

HillGoose -> Titanium D
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2019, 07:29:10 PM »

ITT: people who probably don’t have any friends that are Republicans or just otherwise pretend they don’t exist

Yeah, I have lots of Republican friends/friendly acquaintances. Does that make me a fake Democrat too?

Have any of your friends committed war crimes?

No, but it's not like they've had the opportunity. I assume (though I generally avoid such topics) that most of my Republican friends have a good opinion of Bush and Cheney.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2019, 07:41:25 PM »

Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh. It's no surprise that Republicans (most of whom would never actually consider voting for him over Trump) want him to win the Democratic nomination so badly. It's one thing to say that he's personal friends with a generic Republican politician. It's another to say he likes *this* particular Republican, and is clearly trying to run on bipartisanship, since apparently some people still think that's possible.

Yeah yeah, he's better than Trump, this doesn't change that, sure. But personally, I like Democratic nominees who don't praise VPs who start illegal wars for oil money.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2019, 07:50:36 PM »

Dick Cheney seems like a really good guy.  If they DIDNT get along, I would be more concerned.  I want my President to get along with the opposite party, unlike Trump.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2019, 07:53:18 PM »

Ew......
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2019, 08:04:09 PM »

He never said he liked Cheney’s policies lol

Yeah, that's the headline here.

I'm not a fan of Cheney at all, but I don't really care if Biden likes him on a personal level. In fact, I think that "being able to have a good personal relationship with members of the opposite party" is a really important quality for a president to have.

This.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2019, 08:17:21 PM »

I think Biden's comments about Strom Thurmond will hurt him far more.
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2019, 09:20:51 PM »

Lmao. What country in the world is your model of a “sane” political system? One that represents less than a tenth of a percentage of the world’s population?

Basically every European country, actually.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2019, 09:27:31 PM »

LMAO just LMAO

So you think Margaret Thatcher, David Cameron and Thersa May are similar politically to Joe Biden.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2019, 09:28:03 PM »

Biden isnt even centrist, he is clearly to the left of 90s Bill Clinton
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2019, 09:32:00 PM »

LMAO just LMAO

So you think Margaret Thatcher, David Cameron and Thersa May are similar politically to Joe Biden.

Maybe someday people will know better than to try to compare American and European countries in such simplistic terms.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2019, 10:09:24 PM »

That feeling when Biden holds higher views of a Republican politician than you... Terrified

darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2019, 11:27:54 PM »

I assume (though I generally avoid such topics) that most of my Republican friends have a good opinion of Bush and Cheney.
Bush's own party wasn't working with him in 2008. The 2016 Republican primaries were a rejection of Bush and Cheney by their own party.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2019, 11:34:15 PM »

Nobody who voted for the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution ever became President. History will repeat.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2019, 11:41:21 PM »

This will probably be the first of many "gaffes" which will cause his polling lead to shrivel up and possibly disappear completely.
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2019, 11:54:30 PM »

LMAO just LMAO

Cameron and May, yes.
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2019, 11:55:50 PM »

Biden isnt even centrist, he is clearly to the left of 90s Bill Clinton

Because 90s Bill Clinton was essentially a standard 60s or 70s Republican.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2019, 12:17:39 AM »

LMAO just LMAO

Cameron and May, yes.

Lmao how
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2019, 12:18:42 AM »

LMAO just LMAO

Cameron and May, yes.

Lmao how

Neither of them are very "conservative" compared to US conservatives. I'll admit Thatcher was far-right by any standard however.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2019, 12:20:45 AM »

Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh. It's no surprise that Republicans (most of whom would never actually consider voting for him over Trump) want him to win the Democratic nomination so badly. It's one thing to say that he's personal friends with a generic Republican politician. It's another to say he likes *this* particular Republican, and is clearly trying to run on bipartisanship, since apparently some people still think that's possible.

Yeah yeah, he's better than Trump, this doesn't change that, sure. But personally, I like Democratic nominees who don't praise VPs who start illegal wars for oil money.

What about ones who abuse their office for the benefit of family members?

Hunter Biden’s Work in Ukraine Emerges as a Potential 2020 Scandal
In a move sure to trigger 2016 P.T.S.D., The New York Times has published a nearly 3,000-word tale of intrigue involving the Biden family’s various entanglements in Ukraine. In short, the story is this: in the final year of the Obama presidency, Vice President Joe Biden “threatened to withhold $1 billion in United States loan guarantees if Ukraine’s leaders did not dismiss the country’s top prosecutor”—Viktor Shokin—“who had been accused of turning a blind eye to corruption in his own office and among the political elite.” The pressure campaign also just so happened to benefit Biden’s younger son, Hunter, who was then getting paid as much as $50,000 to sit on the board of Burisma Holdings, a Ukrainian energy company that was in Shokin’s sights. The question the Times raises, but does not answer, is: were Joe’s and Hunter’s overlapping interests in Ukraine coincidental, or corrupt?

What to do if Biden or someone like him gets the Democratic nomination is a tough question for me.

On the one hand, do I support a figure I don't agree with and find problematic on a great many things, just because I barely have a choice at all? Do I weigh the Supreme Court and just getting the others guys out highly enough to support corruption, hypocrisy and regulatory capture? Isn't that what part of what is so problematic about Trump?

On the other hand... corruption, hypocrisy, and catering to entrenched interests are far from being all that is wrong with Trump. Biden can speak clear English sentences, has a vocabulary better than a 5th grader, more self-control than a toddler, doesn't (as far as I know) speaking lovingly of dictators, and can probably be trusted to not publicly wipe his rear with the Constitution in between his weekly self-inflicted crises. And he's not an American Naziwhite supremacist.

I won't say that my mind is made up, and it won't be until much closer to election day. But I'm going to keep in mind two things this election cycle. First, that  real politics (not Republican-flavored creeping attacks on democracy) is about compromise. And second, that when voting we have a responsibility to think about what, among all the outcomes we can influence, will be better for the nation.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2019, 12:22:39 AM »

Nobody who voted for the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution ever became President. History will repeat.

No one against either.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2019, 12:25:09 AM »

Biden hasn't been in the Senate that long. Funny enough, Gravel primaried one of the 2 Senators to vote nay.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2019, 12:52:42 AM »

Even if you were correct, and you are not, Europe represents very little of the world.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies