Democrats only: a genie makes you the following offer...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:13:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Democrats only: a genie makes you the following offer...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See text
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Democrats only: a genie makes you the following offer...  (Read 2064 times)
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2019, 07:40:12 AM »

...would you trade away KS-GOV, LA-GOV, MT-GOV, and NC-GOV for AZ-AG, FL-AG, TX-AG, GA-SOS, IA-SOS, NV-SOS, and OH-SOS?
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 08:50:25 AM »
« Edited: July 22, 2019, 08:53:56 AM by TrendsareReal »

Absolutely not, why in the world would anyone do that? TX-AG is the only one that comes close to making up for any of the losses of a Governorship
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 08:55:28 AM »

No. Governors are more prestigious than row offices.
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 09:15:06 AM »
« Edited: July 22, 2019, 06:08:28 PM by Ilhan Apologist »

Would Kris Kobach become governor? Then no.

Edit: and Pat McCrory? Definitely not.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 09:58:53 AM »

Aside from maybe GA-SOS, no. These governorships (despite being in red states) still impact Democratic politics in tangible ways that wouldn't occur if the party didn't hold them.
UncleSam

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 10:35:18 AM »

(Not a Democrat, just here to ask a question)

This simply guarantees the outcome of these races, right? It’s not as though the genie is offering the governorships instead of the row offices - it is just saying that Dems can give up their chance at those governorships in exchange for a bunch of row offices. So the question isn’t would you trade four governorships for seven row offices, it is would you trade a shot at four for seven row offices.

Imo the answer depends on whether or not you think Dems will win at least three of those governorships, but again, not a Dem
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 11:20:16 AM »

This simply guarantees the outcome of these races, right? It’s not as though the genie is offering the governorships instead of the row offices - it is just saying that Dems can give up their chance at those governorships in exchange for a bunch of row offices. So the question isn’t would you trade four governorships for seven row offices, it is would you trade a shot at four for seven row offices.

Imo the answer depends on whether or not you think Dems will win at least three of those governorships, but again, not a Dem

what
UncleSam

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 11:56:38 AM »

what
Currently the status of all of these races is unknown. Whether or not Dems win any, most, or all of them is unclear. So, it is inaccurate to say that you wouldn’t give up these four governorships for the seven row offices - the four governorships are likely to be won, in part, by the GOP anyway. What you’re really giving up as a Dem is a shot at these four in exchange for the seven row offices.

In other words, I believe the other responses in the thread misunderstand the premise of the hypothetical, but I wanted to confirm my understanding with the OP. If it is a question of would you rather win the four governorships vs the seven row offices that’s a pretty obvious pick.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 12:16:11 PM »

what
Currently the status of all of these races is unknown. Whether or not Dems win any, most, or all of them is unclear. So, it is inaccurate to say that you wouldn’t give up these four governorships for the seven row offices - the four governorships are likely to be won, in part, by the GOP anyway. What you’re really giving up as a Dem is a shot at these four in exchange for the seven row offices.

In other words, I believe the other responses in the thread misunderstand the premise of the hypothetical, but I wanted to confirm my understanding with the OP. If it is a question of would you rather win the four governorships vs the seven row offices that’s a pretty obvious pick.

“Trade away” seems pretty clear and unambiguous to me based on my knowledge of the English language, Uncle Sam
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 05:35:02 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2019, 10:04:36 PM by Mondale »

The obvious answer for if a genie offers you a wish is to wish for 3 more wishes
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 09:35:41 PM »

Any Democrat who voted "No" here either has a pretty weak understanding of state politics, or cares more about prestige of office than left-wing policy outcomes.

Yes, of course. Charting the course for voter suppression (or lack thereof), other election policies that influence fairness of outcomes, what state laws to protect/not protect, and what federal laws to fight is much more important than the ability to veto bills that the legislature can override anyway.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 09:36:24 PM »

Any Democrat who voted "No" here has a pretty weak understanding of state politics.

Yes, of course. Charting the course for voter suppression (or lack thereof), other election policies that influence fairness of outcomes, what state laws to protect/not protect, and what federal laws to fight is much more important than the ability to veto bills that the legislature can override anyway.

Louisiana,Montana, and Kansas dont have veto proof legislatures.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 10:47:16 PM »

Any Democrat who voted "No" here has a pretty weak understanding of state politics.

Louisiana,Montana, and Kansas dont have veto proof legislatures.

And even if these governors didn't have the ability to veto legislation & budgets, I'd still take the power to appoint numerous statewide bureaucratic officials, issue executive orders, & take emergency actions over the lack thereof any day.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 12:19:31 AM »

where's the mine inspector
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 12:45:25 AM »

...would you trade away KS-GOV, LA-GOV, MT-GOV, and NC-GOV for AZ-AG, FL-AG, TX-AG, GA-SOS, IA-SOS, NV-SOS, and OH-SOS?

Just curious. You've clearly got an opinion here you haven't stated yet, though I'm guessing it has something to do with redistricting.

What's your two cents?
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 02:57:12 AM »

Just curious. You've clearly got an opinion here you haven't stated yet, though I'm guessing it has something to do with redistricting.

What's your two cents?

I actually don't have a strong opinion here. Losing NC-GOV would really hurt, but some of those row offices, especially GA-SOS, would be incredibly valuable.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2019, 03:55:07 AM »

what

The most obvious interpretation, given that Democrats won the 4 governorships last election and the GOP won the 7 row offices last election, is that you're trading the results in those elections.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2019, 08:54:19 AM »

Absolutely not.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2019, 09:15:38 AM »

Those Ohio offices that they would get aren’t even the ones that would make a majority on the apportionment board that redistricts the state legislature.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2019, 02:47:10 PM »

What's your two cents?

I actually don't have a strong opinion here. Losing NC-GOV would really hurt, but some of those row offices, especially GA-SOS, would be incredibly valuable.

GA Republicans would simply take away the SOS’s power if a Democrat had won that office. Anyone who doubts that really needs to take a deep and reflective pause on what the Republican Party has done at the state and national level
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2019, 03:10:10 PM »

It would have prevented my state from having guns in schools so yes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies