Illhan Omar Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 03:02:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Illhan Omar Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Illhan Omar Megathread  (Read 11342 times)
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2019, 06:22:45 PM »

The real name for Justice Democrats is the TYT Caucus in Congress

"I am much better than you!"

-Fascist scum Ana K. from her fascist-named news conglomerate
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2019, 06:29:33 PM »

I was counting hofoid posts and at one point this thread was 25% hofoid making the same post repeatedly. At some point he dropped off.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2019, 06:29:53 PM »

I'm holding out for the Omar outrage subboard.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2019, 06:43:18 PM »

This is coming from the same woman who scoffed at 9/11. The selective outrage in her is frightening. 
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2019, 06:55:50 PM »

It given me really bad vibes to read terms such as "anti-American" being used when describing an immigrant. You can strongly criticize Omar without going that awful path.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2019, 06:59:03 PM »

How long before the right is literally baying for her blood?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2019, 07:13:29 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2019, 07:16:32 PM by Old School Republican »

It given me really bad vibes to read terms such as "anti-American" being used when describing an immigrant. You can strongly criticize Omar without going that awful path.

Her comments though have given a signal that she is Anti-American and Its not just one instance but multiple over and over again that have given that signal. My belief that she is Anti-American has nothing to do with anything but the content of her comments and I would say it about anybody who made similar comments as her.

My parents and I also am an immigrant along with most of our friends and the vast majority of us believe Omar is a disgrace and anti-American as well and most of them are not Republicans, actually most of our friends are actually Democrats and have this view as well. It has nothing to do with her religion as well because we all would easily support someone like Sadiq Khan over someone like Jermey Corbyn any day if we lived in the UK and we all believe that Sadiq, unlike Corbyn, cares about his nation.

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2019, 07:18:14 PM »

People know that Omar is from Somalia, right?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2019, 07:21:27 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2019, 07:50:56 PM by Crumpets »

It's interesting how the right's reaction to Omar has mirrored the left's response to Trump. Both seem to be under the delusion that by highlighting how outraged they are by everything Trump/Omar does, and constantly calling them a traitor to their country that it will somehow draw support away from them. Both fail to realize that the appeal of an Omar/Trump it's that they don't play by the rules, trigger the other side, and never face any actual consequences for their actions.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2019, 07:35:42 PM »

Wait wait wait....you can't be an immigrant while still hating America? Because there are some students who graduated Montebello High School about a decade back who you ought google if you think that's the case.

The fact is, Omar regularly expresses a deep contempt for American life and in particular Jewish Americans, and this is deeply troubling. America has wronged Somalia. There is no question about this. The Battle of Mogadishu was a horrible misadventure, one of George HW. Bush's (RIP HP) many, many foreign policy blunders. And while Omar has been a refreshingly reliable critic of our foreign policy, the place where these criticisms originate is deeply suspicious to me.

For example, I do not believe AOC or Tlaib "hate" America. I think they "hate" a lot of things about America, and some of those critiques are valid.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2019, 07:48:39 PM »

It's interesting how the right's reaction to Omar has mirrored the left's response to Trump. Both seem to be under the delusion that by highlighting how outraged they are by everything Trump/Omar does, and constantly calling them a traitor to their country that it will somehow draw support away from them. Both fail to realize that the appeal of an Omar/Trump it's that they don't play by the rules, trigger the other side, and never face any accrual consequences for their actions.
The right's hatred of AOC is more akin to the left's hatred of Trump IMO, because it is a genuine obsessive hysteria. On the other hand, Ilhan Omar is literally a sympathizer for the enemy. Sure, she's not part of the neocon/neoliberal centrist establishment, but she's also living proof that the enemy of my enemy isn't always my friend.

I don't know why so many Democrats won't throw her under the bus like Trump did to Blankenship when he became a problem for the MAGA movement. If you want an actually effective critic of many of America's flaws, such as the institutionalized racism of the war on drugs, our rapidly pro-Israel foreign policy, free trade, automation, etc, etc, who isn't a 70+ straight white male like Mike Gravel or Bernie Sanders, then there's always Tulsi Gabbard.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2019, 07:55:25 PM »

Wait wait wait....you can't be an immigrant while still hating America? Because there are some students who graduated Montebello High School about a decade back who you ought google if you think that's the case.

The fact is, Omar regularly expresses a deep contempt for American life and in particular Jewish Americans, and this is deeply troubling. America has wronged Somalia. There is no question about this. The Battle of Mogadishu was a horrible misadventure, one of George HW. Bush's (RIP HP) many, many foreign policy blunders. And while Omar has been a refreshingly reliable critic of our foreign policy, the place where these criticisms originate is deeply suspicious to me.

For example, I do not believe AOC or Tlaib "hate" America. I think they "hate" a lot of things about America, and some of those critiques are valid.

I find myself agreeing with this, both in regards to Omar and to American policy.  I'm not quite as charitable toward Tlaib as Sanchez is, but I'll agree with him on AOC.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2019, 08:00:24 PM »

I find myself agreeing with this, both in regards to Omar and to American policy.  I'm not quite as charitable toward Tlaib as Sanchez is, but I'll agree with him on AOC.
Trust me, I'm not Tlaib fan and her own ties to Palestinian radicals are alarming, though I don't think she is, consciously at least, anti-semitic. I could be wrong, but I don't get that vibe from her.

The difference between Tlaib and Omar is that Tlaib is just a progressive woman who happens to be Muslim, where as Omar's entire identity and mission is revolved around her obviously very radical religious views. Tlaib seeks the sanction of the people for her mission. Omar seeks the sanction of a much more darker impulse.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2019, 08:05:52 PM »

“In his selective memory, he forgets to also mention the thousands of Somalis killed by the American forces that day! #NotTodaySatan,” Omar wrote in a tweet in October 2017, uncovered Monday by John Rossomando of the Investigative Project on Terrorism.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/04/22/omar-attacks-soldiers-who-died-in-somalia/?fbclid=IwAR2Qoo5cnZ24M4y3fO1algIfXbP3YzmgzFJIJ6LspEvGMJHJJwWlsjAX31Q

From your fine article,

Omar was responding to another tweet about the Battle of Mogadishu, a 1993 humanitarian operation by the U.S. military that sought to save starving Somalis by preventing food and aid from being captured by enemy combatants.The battle ultimately took the lives of 19 American soldiers and wounded 73 others, and it became the subject of the famous Hollywood movie “Black Hawk Down.”

From Wikipedia
The initial U.S. Joint Special Operations force, Task Force Ranger, was a collaboration of various elite special forces units from Army Special Operations Command, Air Force Special Operations Command and Navy Special Warfare Command; it consisted mostly of members from the 75th Ranger Regiment and Delta Force. Task Force Ranger was dispatched to seize two of Aidid's high-echelon lieutenants during a meeting in the city. The goal of the operation was achieved, though conditions spiraled into the deadly Battle of Mogadishu. The initial operation of 3 October 1993, intended to last an hour, became an overnight standoff and rescue operation extending into the daylight hours of 4 October.

Please have enough respect to not source things from the Daily Caller.

This is one of the dumbest comparisons Ive ever seen, and that's saying something considering its coming from Mr. Orange Man Bad himself

The battle of Mogadishu was part of the second UN intervention in Somalia, and its purpose was to try to clear out the Somali militias enough so that humanitarian aid to Somalis wouldn't just get picked up by the militias.  This is a click away on wikipedia.

Sure, the specific purpose that the force going into Black Hawk Down was to capture those militia leaders, but you don't have to have a PhD to understand that it was a part of a larger campaign of which the purpose of was to establish security for aid, like every other battle/campaign in history.  You either know absolutely nothing about UNOSOM or are actually lacking the IQ points to put two things together, and I'm gonna guess its both.  

If you're willing to not just swallow, but eagerly regurgitate on demand, a blantantly deceptive piece of propaganda that transparetly attempts to conflate a single "get the bad guy's #3" operation, itself part of a mission that had been retasked to 'nation building' from humanitarian relief six months earlier, with "saving the poor starving children" (apparently by feeding them lead spiced with a little high explosive) in an effort to silence and smear woman who dares disagree with your party line, well, then you have proven yourself not merely someone who I disagree with, but someone of such negative wit and low character that any further... emmissions from you are not worth my glutamate.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2019, 08:13:50 PM »

Can you give some examples of this "regular expression"? Or what makes you think she sympathizes with the enemy? I'm genuinely curious.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2019, 08:26:48 PM »

Can you give some examples of this "regular expression"? Or what makes you think she sympathizes with the enemy? I'm genuinely curious.
Are you serious? Are you trying to waste my time? We all know what she’s talking about. We all know what she’s said. She’s managed to make herself the Steve King of the left in a fraction of the time.

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2019, 09:23:14 PM »

The real name for Justice Democrats is the TYT Caucus in Congress
Not really a bad thing.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2019, 09:26:10 PM »

This is coming from the same woman who scoffed at 9/11. The selective outrage in her is frightening. 
Fake news.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2019, 09:31:59 PM »

lmao yeah she totally sucks. just my two cents.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2019, 10:38:24 PM »

Are you serious? Are you trying to waste my time? We all know what she’s talking about. We all know what she’s said. She’s managed to make herself the Steve King of the left in a fraction of the time.

Eh, whatever. I don't feel strongly about this one way or another. I just don't personally understand how Omar is so different. You yourself admit that America wronged Somalia, yet your difference with her is you are suspicious of "the place where these criticisms originate," but don't specify why.* You also separate her from Tlaib and AOC, yet don't specify why. I guess what I don't understand is what Omar's supposed views are to be charged with. From my vantage point this is just another criticism of Omar for a quote-on-American-foreign-policy that, could easily have been said by any other dime-a-dozen edgy leftist, but is taken differently from her.

* Other than stating that she "regularly expresses a deep contempt for American life", which is why I asked for clarification/examples on that point.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2019, 10:59:10 PM »

I’m starting to crash (been up for 30 straight hours) but I owe you a thoughtful response. I’ll get back to you on this if this thread is still here.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2019, 11:48:51 PM »

“In his selective memory, he forgets to also mention the thousands of Somalis killed by the American forces that day! #NotTodaySatan,” Omar wrote in a tweet in October 2017, uncovered Monday by John Rossomando of the Investigative Project on Terrorism.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/04/22/omar-attacks-soldiers-who-died-in-somalia/?fbclid=IwAR2Qoo5cnZ24M4y3fO1algIfXbP3YzmgzFJIJ6LspEvGMJHJJwWlsjAX31Q

From your fine article,

Omar was responding to another tweet about the Battle of Mogadishu, a 1993 humanitarian operation by the U.S. military that sought to save starving Somalis by preventing food and aid from being captured by enemy combatants.The battle ultimately took the lives of 19 American soldiers and wounded 73 others, and it became the subject of the famous Hollywood movie “Black Hawk Down.”

From Wikipedia
The initial U.S. Joint Special Operations force, Task Force Ranger, was a collaboration of various elite special forces units from Army Special Operations Command, Air Force Special Operations Command and Navy Special Warfare Command; it consisted mostly of members from the 75th Ranger Regiment and Delta Force. Task Force Ranger was dispatched to seize two of Aidid's high-echelon lieutenants during a meeting in the city. The goal of the operation was achieved, though conditions spiraled into the deadly Battle of Mogadishu. The initial operation of 3 October 1993, intended to last an hour, became an overnight standoff and rescue operation extending into the daylight hours of 4 October.

Please have enough respect to not source things from the Daily Caller.

This is one of the dumbest comparisons Ive ever seen, and that's saying something considering its coming from Mr. Orange Man Bad himself

The battle of Mogadishu was part of the second UN intervention in Somalia, and its purpose was to try to clear out the Somali militias enough so that humanitarian aid to Somalis wouldn't just get picked up by the militias.  This is a click away on wikipedia.

Sure, the specific purpose that the force going into Black Hawk Down was to capture those militia leaders, but you don't have to have a PhD to understand that it was a part of a larger campaign of which the purpose of was to establish security for aid, like every other battle/campaign in history.  You either know absolutely nothing about UNOSOM or are actually lacking the IQ points to put two things together, and I'm gonna guess its both.  

If you're willing to not just swallow, but eagerly regurgitate on demand, a blantantly deceptive piece of propaganda that transparetly attempts to conflate a single "get the bad guy's #3" operation, itself part of a mission that had been retasked to 'nation building' from humanitarian relief six months earlier, with "saving the poor starving children" (apparently by feeding them lead spiced with a little high explosive) in an effort to silence and smear woman who dares disagree with your party line, well, then you have proven yourself not merely someone who I disagree with, but someone of such negative wit and low character that any further... emmissions from you are not worth my glutamate.

I didnt once attack Omar in my post lmao.  I didnt mention or cite the article either, but ok, reading comprehension ain't your thing, I get it.

The rest of this is just propaganda and "Hi Im Runeghost and Im using big words to avoid getting to the point! Im so smart!" as usual.  How you manage to function in society (cause you probably don't) is a mystery.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2019, 11:53:15 PM »

It's times like this I think that MAYBE the mods will step in?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2019, 12:20:39 AM »

It's times like this I think that MAYBE the mods will step in?
Why?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2019, 01:05:25 AM »

Go!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies