ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:39:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet  (Read 76292 times)
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« on: July 04, 2020, 12:14:12 PM »

Not sure if you realize this, but the votes of an energized Democratic base which will foam at the mouth no matter what Collins does won’t be enough to beat her. It would be enough in pretty much any other "blue" state, but not in ME.

It’s not like Gideon hasn’t received negative press or only Collins has been subjected to attack ads (especially recently), so not sure why this is so incredibly hard to believe.

I always like to snoop around these candidates' Facebook pages to get a feel for their campaigns. With Mark Kelly you have astronaut, Cunningham has military cred, Bullock talks about Montana bipartisanship, Greenfield worked on a farm. Sara Gideon's messaging is basically bland liberal. There's no attempt to portray herself as bipartisan and independent. Maybe she can win off the backs of an energized liberal base, but I think ceding the "independent" lane to Collins is a mistake that could hurt her.

Who said she was ceding the independent lane to Collins? Since when does Collins have an independent lane as she has stood with Republicans on every vote the past 4 years?

Not really sure I understand the take of "Even an energized Dem base won't give Gideon a win" - there are more registered Democrats in Maine, and Independents have seemed to sour on Collins. What else does Gideon need then?

The few polls that we've gotten have shown that Collins approval rating has soured on all fronts. Collins only raised $3M, Gideon raised $9M.

The national environment is terrible for Republicans right now.

I'm not really sure where this sudden optimism of "Titanim Collins" is coming from, when all evidence that we have, other than a *Republican Internal* that only has Collins at 45%, is not showing a pro-Collins race.
Yeah it’s silly, Maine is still a Lean D state. This race is a Tossup, maybe Tilt D at best but to Claim that Collins is in a good position or is going to win by as much as that internal (LMAO) is just not supported by the facts.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 05:00:07 PM »

I think most of this is atlas overreacting. The few non-partisan polls we’ve had have shown Gideon narrowly leading, and that was before the political environment got worse for the GOP.
Tossup/Tilt D imo. I don’t understand why people take internals so seriously. Shave off 5-6 points off of Collins numbers and she’s up 39-37 over Gideon, which in a GOP poll is atrocious for an incumbent.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 05:04:02 PM »

I'm glad this forum has began to come to the realization that defeating Susan Collins will not be easy, even in a Biden slide. Not saying whether Collins will win or lose; this race is tossup, maybe Collins is a slight favorite, but it's not lean D.
Honestly question, why are you so pessimistic? Not being rude or anything, but a honest question. Biden could win the popular vote by 7-9 points. How would the GOP hold maine of all places in that Scenario. Not to mention that her approvals are plummeting. One biased internal doesn’t make Collins the favorite.

Tbh atlas put a little too much stock in polls, and not enough in fundamentals. If a poll showing Gideon up 8 came out, this race would be considered likely D and Collins would be declared DOA
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 11:44:52 PM »

If Biden is leading by big margins in the fall and voters largely expect him to win, Collins could cast herself as a check on a Biden presidency which could allow some Biden-Collins voters. This is what happened in 2016 in many Clinton-friendly suburban districts (VA-10, MN-03).

It's also possible that the GOP is too inexorably linked to Trump at this point that that sort of strategy is untenable. But if any GOPer were able to use an almost certain Biden presidency to their advantage it would be Collins, who had a moderate reputation in Maine for decades before the Trump era. 

Not really, Trump’s upset win boosted GOP canidates, people did not vote for GOP house canidates because they thought it would be a check on Clinton. Right before the election people like Sabato predicted a gain of 13 for the Dems in the house in 2016, when they only picked up 6, so it was more Trump over preforming than people trying to put a check on Clinton.

Also what makes you think people want a check on Biden? He’s leading by double digits and voters are dissatisfied with both Trump and the GOP, the last thing they’d want to do is allow Republicans to get in the way of Biden’s agenda.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 12:01:14 PM »

lol Right wing talking points are anything but “true”
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 01:06:40 PM »

Collins' campaign is out with a GREAT ad for Sarah Gideon.

That has to be one of the worst attack ads I've ever seen,  Gideon's campaign could play that as an advertisement.

They even positive, happy sounding music

What is this? If Collins thinks that supporting affordable healthcare for Mainers and prioritizing adequate gun control legislation for Mainers is working against Maine, then I don't what her priorities are. Especially considering that many of the things highlighted in the ad are policy objectives that Collins herself has professed to believe in for many years. If anything, her ad has helped expose viewers to many of Gideons' substantive policy positions (positions that a majority of Mainers agree with), which will be a boon to her, not a detriment.

This ad literally just showed Gideon has positions that a majority of Mainers will agree with. It does nothing but help Gideon.

lol Republicans are so bad at this it’s almost sad.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 01:01:58 PM »

Remember that Collins is supposed to be a Moderate ™, Reasonable ™, Bipartisan™, independent™ Senator.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 01:38:46 PM »

I can’t wait for this fool to lose.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 02:30:06 PM »

lol @ that county map
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 03:26:07 PM »

Democrats should have taken away that SOBs chairmanship after he blocked the public option.  Or at least threatened to cut off aid to his beloved Israel if he didn’t vote for it.

Reid should have thrown him out of the caucus after they voted on Obamacare (not before because they still needed Lieberman's vote)
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 11:58:32 AM »

Susan does not seem to be aware that Biden is in position to win Maine by 15 points

She is partying like it's 2008.

Tbf even in 2008 Obama still won ME by double digits, although back then she was an actual moderate and much more liked.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 12:01:32 PM »

Susan does not seem to be aware that Biden is in position to win Maine by 15 points

She is partying like it's 2008.

Tbf even in 2008 Obama still won ME by double digits, although back then she was an actual moderate and much more liked.

That was my point.

Oh, I assumed you were implying that ME is more Democratic now than it was in 2008. Nevermind then.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 09:36:36 PM »

ME is a great example of local politics at its best... I’ll be near to see if it puts Susan over the edge though. If it weren’t for McConnel and the senate majority, I could see the argument one could have for voting for her.

What argument would you say there is?
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2020, 08:02:28 PM »

Ummmm....

Democrats are spineless cowards. You hate to see it.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2020, 08:13:06 PM »

Ummmm....

Democrats are spineless cowards. You hate to see it.

I mean, if we could magically resurrect the judicial filibuster and not have it removed, why not? The court would eventually be made up of 9 consensus picks.

I personally would prefer they pack the court. If we bring back the filibuster, Republicans will just block any nominee Biden puts forward. They would never support a Democratic appointed Judge.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2020, 02:47:16 PM »

lol the polling industry is dead
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies