ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:40:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet  (Read 76074 times)
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« on: July 25, 2019, 01:33:26 PM »

That would be a Christmas miracle, but if her polling was so bad that she opted not to run anyway then that means she probably would've lost regardless
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 01:40:01 PM »

Jared Golden done messed up not running for Senate. He’d probably even be favored right now. Instead he’s in the fight of his life in an uphill seat
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 02:01:20 PM »

Jared Golden done messed up not running for Senate. He’d probably even be favored right now. Instead he’s in the fight of his life in an uphill seat

Right, Eric Brakey is gonna give him the fight of his life Roll Eyes

Bruce Poliquin nearly won last year and he was one of the worst fits for that seat ever
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 02:10:13 PM »

Bruce Poliquin nearly won last year and he was one of the worst fits for that seat ever

Poliquin was an uncontroversial incumbent in a seat which usually doesn’t boot out its incumbents. He may not have been the best "fit" for the district, but he wasn’t some incredibly weak incumbent either.

Either way, pretending like Golden’s re-election is gonna be easy even against Brakey is just dumb. Poliquin was a pretty bad incumbent whose only strength as a candidate was his fundraising and Golden was a pretty good one, and Golden only barely won.

Iowa “loved its incumbents” until last year it didn’t and sent two and almost three packing
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 02:27:07 PM »

Revisionism at work, folks. Golden is an incumbent now and Brakey list this district by 10% in his Senate run.

How is that revisionism? Poliquin was widely regarded as a parody of an out of touch Wall Street Banker who never had real ties to the district, continuously shopped for office, and had a number of gaffes (running into a woman’s bathroom)
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 02:31:09 PM »

Poliquin was an uncontroversial incumbent in a seat which usually doesn’t boot out its incumbents. He may not have been the best "fit" for the district, but he wasn’t some incredibly weak incumbent either.

Either way, pretending like Golden’s re-election is gonna be easy even against Brakey is just dumb. Poliquin was a pretty bad incumbent whose only strength as a candidate was his fundraising and Golden was a pretty good one, and Golden only barely won.

Iowa “loved its incumbents” until last year it didn’t and sent two and almost three packing

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to assume that Golden has a better chance of winning reelection than beating Collins, especially with how weak the current GOP field in ME-02 appears to be. He’s tailor-made for his district, and I don’t think his 2018 strategy would be easily replicable in a statewide race against someone like Collins.

Well Collins herself confirmed she is underwater now, so it’s not like she the same unbeatable goddess that she once was. Personally if it were me and I had a choice between:

(a) run against a slightly unpopular incumbent senator in a state Clinton won by 3% or

(b) run for re-election in a seat Trump won by 10% and is likely to easily carry again

I think most rational people would have gone with (a.)
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 06:08:37 PM »

I finally convinced my dad to give to Gideon instead of McGrath, yes!

With all due respect to your father, has he been the victim of a con job before?
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 04:10:28 PM »

It’s trending R so fast it replaced an R governor, congressman, and several legislators (double digits in the House) with Democrats in 2018.

So VA wasn’t trending D fast in 2009, 2010, and 2011? Obviously a party can recover some lost ground in states trending away from them in massive wave years.
Except ME wasn't consistently trending red before 2016 like VA was consistently trending blue, and Trump's current approvals in the state are really rough.

States can have massive trends and then reverse them the next cycle, such as MT/ND/IN 2008-2012. ME itself trended 8% R in 2000 and 8% D in 2004. My sig provides an example of trends reversing from one cycle to the next.

Maine sure looked like a red state across the board in 2014
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2019, 11:18:09 AM »

She’s never had a real job before so no surprise
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 04:45:07 PM »

We’re way past due on a quality poll coming out of here in an actual Collins vs. Gideon matchup. All we seem to know is that Collins is unpopular as it is, but not the extent of it.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 07:43:16 PM »

She really is a quack. Insane how she came in third for the gubernatorial primary
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2020, 08:28:18 AM »

Collins only raised $3M. Yikes

Normally $3 million is very good, especially for a state the size of Maine. It just looks bad by comparison to Gideon.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2020, 12:27:05 PM »

CASH ON HAND: Gideon $5.5 million, Collins $5 million
$ SPENT IN Q2: Gideon $7.2 million, Collins $3.6 million

Hot damn. There is really no good reason for there to not be a high-quality external in this race.

There has, it's just been since March/April. I'm sure we'll get more after the primary or Labor Day since this is one of the core Senate races.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2020, 02:50:56 PM »

And this is why Troy Jackson should have run

Two candidates from Aroostook County? We wouldn't be able to handle all the populist
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 08:07:55 PM »

Larry Hogan, Charlie Baker, endorse Collins.

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) and Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker (R) are endorsing Sen. Susan Collins (R) in Maine’s hotly contested Senate race, cutting ads in support of the longtime incumbent as she faces the most serious reelection fight of her political career.

The ads, shared first with The Hill, are part of a $450,000 ad blitz by the Republican Jewish Coalition and come a week after the group launched another spot in which former Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.), the 2000 Democratic vice presidential nominee, threw his support behind Collins’s reelection.

The endorsements from Hogan and Baker are particularly unique. Both are Republican governors of deep-blue states and rarely endorse in races outside their home.

Yes, the Republican governors no one in Maine has ever heard of are big #gamechangers
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies