ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:33:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet  (Read 76256 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« on: June 16, 2019, 03:06:33 PM »

Reminder is that Collins has a low approval rating because she runs low among republicans. All of those Republicans who disapprove of her will vote for her. And she has 31% approval among Dems... ought to be <10 for her to lose.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 02:21:25 PM »

If it was used for ME-2, it must be.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 01:57:38 PM »

I have a few questions.

Why hasn't Sen. Collins even announced her re-election plans? Does she really need more time to figure out what she wants to do and more polls to tell her about her chances? What if she doesn't run? Wouldn't that mean that this race is Likely D, since there doesn't appear to be anyone at in the Republican bench of Collins's stature? Why are Atlas users still assuming that she will run?

And what does this mean: ..... "I can't really be Collins it yet" ....? I was first thinking that I am just going to post "I can't really be understanding what is this question it yet."

Collins said in January she intends to run and she continues to raise tons of money. Yes, her retirement would be an enormous gift to Dems because she’s probably at least as hard to dislodge as Manchin was.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 03:34:17 PM »

I have a few questions.

Why hasn't Sen. Collins even announced her re-election plans? Does she really need more time to figure out what she wants to do and more polls to tell her about her chances? What if she doesn't run? Wouldn't that mean that this race is Likely D, since there doesn't appear to be anyone at in the Republican bench of Collins's stature? Why are Atlas users still assuming that she will run?

And what does this mean: ..... "I can't really be Collins it yet" ....? I was first thinking that I am just going to post "I can't really be understanding what is this question it yet."

Collins said in January she intends to run and she continues to raise tons of money. Yes, her retirement would be an enormous gift to Dems because she’s probably at least as hard to dislodge as Manchin was.

I just did some more research, and according to a Politico article in January, incorporating words from her interview on NBC, she said, "I'm getting ready to run. But frankly, I just think it's too early to make that kind of decision. But I'm getting prepared, and I'll make a final decision toward the end of this year." Her fundraising is preparation for a possible run, but Wikipedia still treats her as having not announced that she is running. That was why I asked.

Ok, fair enough.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 07:54:33 PM »

To this day, I still do not understand why Collins decided to commit the biggest political suicide in recent history by voting for Kavanaugh. She could have fully and completely ensured herself a successful re-election by voting against Kavanaugh, but instead, she decided to fully and completely ensure herself a failed re-election.

The old line Republicans supported Kavanaugh. George W. Bush called around making the case for Kavanaugh. Collins is a Republican first and foremost and she saw Kavanaugh as part of her team.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 10:37:36 AM »

It's almost as if they want to nudge her into retiring and enjoying a very wealthy retirement.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 08:44:45 AM »

Collins is a popular moderate republican in a state that’s trending R fast. Likely R.

It’s trending R so fast it replaced an R governor, congressman, and several legislators (double digits in the House) with Democrats in 2018.

Collins is so popular that Morning Consult found that only McConnell has a higher disapproval rating with his voters among 100 senators.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 02:39:07 PM »

It’s not like swing voters care about Ratliffe, though.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 05:17:44 PM »

While her choice may not have been the optimal one for winning re-election, it is by far the best choice for her plans after the election if she loses. She's playing ball with the people who matter in her world and she'll have a very comfortable retirement surrounded by her Republican friends and colleagues if she loses.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies