ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:52:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41
Author Topic: ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet  (Read 75870 times)
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: October 29, 2020, 11:45:32 AM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #951 on: October 29, 2020, 11:53:50 AM »

Maine, please vote Susan Collins out!

I second this. As a black person, I'm fully aware of how many whites have downplayed, and continue to downplay, institutional racism within this country. It doesn't surprise me that Susan Collins, an elderly white woman who lives in a state that is well over 90% white, would be so ignorant on such issues. Fortunately, it looks like Maine is going to give her a pink slip in less than a week, after a quarter of a century.

What kind of systemic racism is there in Maine?

what a disgusting comment. you should be ashamed of yourself.

People of Susan Collins generation hear "systemic racism" and think of Jim Crow.  I'm familiar enough with current theory and lingo around it to know it doesn't normally mean that, but it's used in so many different ways that I never know what way people are using the term unless they talk about specific examples.  In any case it's a crummy thing to use a concept like that to shame people.  If you want to really know if someone cares about an issue you care about, don't use a lot of social signifier jargon.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #952 on: October 29, 2020, 11:59:28 AM »

I second this. As a black person, I'm fully aware of how many whites have downplayed, and continue to downplay, institutional racism within this country. It doesn't surprise me that Susan Collins, an elderly white woman who lives in a state that is well over 90% white, would be so ignorant on such issues. Fortunately, it looks like Maine is going to give her a pink slip in less than a week, after a quarter of a century.

what a disgusting comment. you should be ashamed of yourself.

People of Susan Collins generation hear "systemic racism" and think of Jim Crow.  I'm familiar enough with current theory and lingo around it to know it doesn't normally mean that, but it's used in so many different ways that I never know what way people are using the term unless they talk about specific examples.  In any case it's a crummy thing to use a concept like that to shame people.  If you want to really know if someone cares about an issue you care about, don't use a lot of social signifier jargon.

Collins is a sitting Senator, not a politically disengaged pensioner. She should probably be (and, I suspect, is) somewhat clued up on what "systemic racism" means, especially post-Floyd protests in her own state. It's really not that obscure and is certainly less so than the "critical race theory"-based screeds seen in other Republican campaigns despite said screeds being even stronger social signifiers.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #953 on: October 29, 2020, 12:40:47 PM »

Yeah. So she’s going to survive.

(Not counting Mitch)

I want to see her and Lindsey go more than anything.

It disgusts me she’s going to survive, she’s clearly charging hard and I’m afraid will cross the fi ish line unfortunately

Fundamentals Favoring Collins:

-Collins is the incumbent

Fundamentals working against Collins:

-The national environment
-Partisanship
-Fundraising
-Polling
-Biden’s very likely to carry Maine, and by a bigger margin than Clinton
-Incumbents tend to underperform polls
-She’s on of the most disliked senators nationally

She’s always considered vulnerable and always ends up with cross party ticket splitting appeal

LMAO what world have you been living in?

In 2008, Collins was initially seen as vulnerable, and she faced a credible opponent that year-then Rep. Tom Allen from Maine's 1st congressional district. Collins, however, ended up defeating Allen by 23%, even while Obama was carrying Maine by 18% against John McCain at the same time. Nevertheless, as I myself have said, this is not 2008 anymore. The country is much more polarized, and Collins is far less popular than she was 12 years ago.

Collins was always considered safe in 2008 despite facing a credible opponent.  The race was never really a priority for either party that cycle.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #954 on: October 29, 2020, 03:06:38 PM »

Our Cartoon President gave Susan Collins her own jazzy little theme song and I love it. 😂

https://youtu.be/tv_YFL9WYLk
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #955 on: October 29, 2020, 04:40:29 PM »

Why are the majority of people in Maine State Prison Black when Black people make up around 2% of the population?

Why did white Mark Cardilli get seven years for shooting a Black man in the back?

Why did Paul LePage get to be Governor here for eight years?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #956 on: October 29, 2020, 05:48:07 PM »

Yeah. So she’s going to survive.

(Not counting Mitch)

I want to see her and Lindsey go more than anything.

It disgusts me she’s going to survive, she’s clearly charging hard and I’m afraid will cross the fi ish line unfortunately

Fundamentals Favoring Collins:

-Collins is the incumbent

Fundamentals working against Collins:

-The national environment
-Partisanship
-Fundraising
-Polling
-Biden’s very likely to carry Maine, and by a bigger margin than Clinton
-Incumbents tend to underperform polls
-She’s on of the most disliked senators nationally

She’s always considered vulnerable and always ends up with cross party ticket splitting appeal

LMAO what world have you been living in?

In 2008, Collins was initially seen as vulnerable, and she faced a credible opponent that year-then Rep. Tom Allen from Maine's 1st congressional district. Collins, however, ended up defeating Allen by 23%, even while Obama was carrying Maine by 18% against John McCain at the same time. Nevertheless, as I myself have said, this is not 2008 anymore. The country is much more polarized, and Collins is far less popular than she was 12 years ago.

Collins was always considered safe in 2008 despite facing a credible opponent.  The race was never really a priority for either party that cycle.

I see. As I noted above, I recall reading an article somewhere which stated the opposite, but I'll defer to the judgment of posters on here regarding this.
SenatorCouzens
United States

« Reply #957 on: October 29, 2020, 07:54:02 PM »

Is the fact that Collins would become head of the appropriations committee getting any play in this race? It seems like that could garner her support in a state with "parochial conerns."

Given the lack of polls in this state and the localism that prevails in Maine elections, I would love to know what people in the state think.

So much of the online discussion is drowned out by people who immediately mock Collins for being "concerned" and about Senate whip counts, but these people often have nothing to do with Maine.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #958 on: October 29, 2020, 08:13:35 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2020, 08:58:39 PM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

Is the fact that Collins would become head of the appropriations committee getting any play in this race? It seems like that could garner her support in a state with "parochial conerns."

Given the lack of polls in this state and the localism that prevails in Maine elections, I would love to know what people in the state think.

So much of the online discussion is drowned out by people who immediately mock Collins for being "concerned" and about Senate whip counts, but these people often have nothing to do with Maine.

Localism will certainly help Collins but I doubt there are many genuinely persuadable voters who are also politically informed enough to consider Senate committee chairs in determining their vote. It would be one thing if she was already chair and using it to directly benefit Maine (McConnell's pork barrelling is a good example here), but otherwise, I really doubt it has much sway. The same applies to Alaska where Al Gross and Dan Sullivan invoked Roger Wicker and Maria Cantwell respectively - neither line of attack seemed to make much of an obvious mark in the public domain and I doubt most voters even know who these people are.
SenatorCouzens
United States

« Reply #959 on: October 29, 2020, 08:42:01 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2020, 08:45:29 PM by SenatorCouzens »

Localism will certainly help Collins but I doubt there are many genuinely persuadable voters who are also politically informed enough to consider Senate committee chairs in determining their vote. It would be one thing if she was already chair and using it to directly benefit Maine (McConnell's pork barrelling is a good example here), but otherwise, I really doubt it has much sway. The same applies to Alaska where Al Gross and Dan Sullivan invoked Roger Wicker and Maria Cantrell respectively - neither line of attack seemed to make much of an obvious mark in the public domain and I doubt most voters even know who these people are.

Fair enough! I was thinking more of a 30 second ad touting this chairmanship in a way that simultaneously makes it seem more powerful and a benefit to Maine than it is, while also not being gratuitous. I quite agree that precious few voters in Maine are doing their independent research about it.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #960 on: October 29, 2020, 11:06:51 PM »

Why are the majority of people in Maine State Prison Black when Black people make up around 2% of the population?

Why did white Mark Cardilli get seven years for shooting a Black man in the back?

(Completely unrelated to the content of your post, but) happy to see you back, MAINEiac!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #961 on: October 29, 2020, 11:15:26 PM »

How about your Devil

(Completely unrelated to the content of your post, but) happy to see you back, MAINEiac!

How about your Devil Rays they surely chocked this yr not the Dodgers .
Anyways, D's need to win AK, IA, TX and SC as well as KS and MT as wave insurance. If Mike Pence cast the tie breaker vote, before the GA runoffs, Trump is reelected Prez, since it will go back to an R delegated House minority.

Greenfield and HEGAR, Bollier and Bullock give D's that chance

It's gonna take til the end of Nov to count absentee ballots in AK but IA is a definitively a must win
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #962 on: November 04, 2020, 08:41:02 AM »
« Edited: November 04, 2020, 08:47:44 AM by Senator Ernst »

This thread has gotten pretty quiet. So much for this being a VA-10 2018/NV-SEN 2018/TX-07 2018/ME-SEN 1972/IL-SEN 2016 redux.  Tongue
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #963 on: November 04, 2020, 09:03:32 AM »

Yeah, lmao. Even I thought Collins was going down, tho not by double digits or more than 5% (I thought she'd lose by between 2-4%. Though, I do think this is her last re-election, if she wins. She's likely going to be dem target numbero uno to take out and they might run Janet Mills or someone like her to finally take out Susan, unless she retires in 2026.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #964 on: November 04, 2020, 09:11:01 AM »

You can go back my posts, I was always worried about this race. Collins won her races all handily, and while it was clear she'd lose a ton of support, it was always possible to win. Let's see how it finally turns out, but I'm keeping my expectations low. We'll likely end up with a 52 R senate, with AZ and CO flipping D, while Jones got destroyed even wore than in my worst imaginations.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #965 on: November 04, 2020, 01:16:43 PM »

Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #966 on: November 04, 2020, 01:18:22 PM »

Senate Majority Leader McConnell ;-)
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #967 on: November 04, 2020, 01:25:55 PM »

B-b-but she didn’t lead in a single poll!
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #968 on: November 04, 2020, 01:29:29 PM »

After this election polls have basically no credibility.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #969 on: November 04, 2020, 01:29:52 PM »

It's obvious that there still was some significant ticket-splitting in this election, but it appears to have mainly benefited Republicans. Collins, Cornyn, Perdue, and Tillis, for example, all ran ahead of Trump, and Phil Scott did better than Joe Biden in Vermont!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #970 on: November 04, 2020, 01:31:05 PM »

This cements the R Senate.

No Crt packing plan and no 2.2 T stimulus.

Biden is likely to get a small 500 Stimulus and nothing more.

People are gonna have to return to work next March and get off of unemployment

Gideon and Cunningham were the biggest recruiting failures
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #971 on: November 04, 2020, 01:43:19 PM »

TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #972 on: November 04, 2020, 01:45:02 PM »

In her concession speech, Sarah Gideon said they built a movement.

More like a movement towards nominating a better candidate like Troy Jackson next time Tongue
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #973 on: November 04, 2020, 01:45:55 PM »

It's obvious that there still was some significant ticket-splitting in this election, but it appears to have mainly benefited Republicans. Collins, Cornyn, Perdue, and Tillis, for example, all ran ahead of Trump, and Phil Scott did better than Joe Biden in Vermont!

Democrats are still less partisan than Republicans, so quite a few of them are willing to vote for so-called moderate hero Republicans. A noticeably larger percentage of Republicans than Democrats will never vote for the opposite party under any circumstance. That's why there are more Republicans elected statewide in deep blue states than vice versa, and these Republicans tend to win by bigger margins.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #974 on: November 04, 2020, 01:49:37 PM »

The Senate is never going blue again, is it? Lol
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies