ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:46:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 41
Author Topic: ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet  (Read 76349 times)
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: October 07, 2020, 05:47:46 PM »
« edited: October 09, 2020, 08:00:28 AM by DaleCooper »

He most likely wont hes said he wont endorse in the Senate Race hes good friends with Collins and has known her for a long time but King did come out and endorse Biden Yesterday I do see him quietly voting for Gideon tho
https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/news/politics/sen-angus-king-endorses-joe-biden-for-president/97-c3bad39b-88bb-48fa-a024-4a13de28fc19

Lol, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I was confused by this post because I thought you were talking about Stephen until I saw the Senator's name in the link. Goes to show how much I associate the name King with Maine.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #801 on: October 07, 2020, 06:41:10 PM »

GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #802 on: October 08, 2020, 02:35:45 PM »

Bill Green also endorsed Collins.

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #803 on: October 08, 2020, 02:37:02 PM »

Is he a big name up there in ME?

How do you think the race is looking overall?
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #804 on: October 08, 2020, 02:46:24 PM »

He's a well-respected icon. He had a news segment called Bill Green's Maine where he went around the state highlighting different areas. I'm not sure if it will move the needle, but he is very well-known, especially to older folks.

I did get around to watching the last debate and Gideon was better. Her jabs were more effective this time. I also think she's been dominating the ad-race- though I have been seeing more and more ads supporting Collins/attacking Gideon over time. I still think Gideon will struggle in the second district, but my gut is saying Gideon +2 or 3 right now.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #805 on: October 08, 2020, 02:51:44 PM »

He's a well-respected icon. He had a news segment called Bill Green's Maine where he went around the state highlighting different areas. I'm not sure if it will move the needle, but he is very well-known, especially to older folks.

I did get around to watching the last debate and Gideon was better. Her jabs were more effective this time. I also think she's been dominating the ad-race- though I have been seeing more and more ads supporting Collins/attacking Gideon over time. I still think Gideon will struggle in the second district, but my gut is saying Gideon +2 or 3 right now.

To me, it sounds like older people are more likely to be Biden - Collins voters than younger folks in the state. Does this seem accurate?

Interesting to hear what you have to say though. I've only ever been to ME once and I don't remember that, so a lot of my analysis is based off political stereotypes about ME. As on outsider, to me, I think the more local the race stays the better Collins will do, but right now, especially with the current chaos, politics seems very national, which makes it harder for Collins to wield her strength of being an incumbent to her advantage. To me, I'm still keeping it at Lean D, as I see a very wide range of protentional outcomes, but my current guess is Gideon wins by more than most expect because of partisanship, like mid to high single digits
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #806 on: October 08, 2020, 03:25:01 PM »

Really dislike all this Moderate Hero action for Collins. Democrats can't take this seat for granted. If NC and ME go south they're left with IA and... who knows.
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #807 on: October 08, 2020, 08:54:58 PM »

Looks like GW NOT Trump.
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #808 on: October 08, 2020, 09:01:36 PM »

I am willing to take half a loaf.  Bet there are a good many voters like him.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #809 on: October 08, 2020, 09:03:06 PM »

I am willing to take half a loaf.  Bet there are a good many voters like him.

I mean, ME is a small state where local politics actually matters. It'll be interesting to see if hatred of Trump is able to carry Gideon over the edge and basically render local politics meaningless.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #810 on: October 08, 2020, 09:58:05 PM »

It would be hilarious (or hilariously depressing) if Republicans held NC and ME.... and still lost the Senate because of KS/SC/TX (and/or MT/IA).

(Not predicting it will happen, although it’ll be interesting to see whether Republicans fare better in NC or ME)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #811 on: October 08, 2020, 10:05:15 PM »

It would be hilarious (or hilariously depressing) if Republicans held NC and ME.... and still lost the Senate because of KS/SC/TX (and/or MT/IA).

(Not predicting it will happen, although it’ll be interesting to see whether Republicans fare better in NC or ME)

I feel like in recent weeks the core 4 have become a bit less defined between Cunningham's issue, Democrats having some good poll numbers in KS/SC/TX/MT/GA, ect, and the lack of polls in ME causing Democrats to start worrying again. What's funny is I feel like the less polling a senate race gets, the more pessimistic Democrats are on their chances.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #812 on: October 09, 2020, 01:28:11 AM »

I guess this is a somewhat more important "endorsement".

Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #813 on: October 09, 2020, 01:37:06 AM »

She Endorsed Gideon for second pref a few weeks ago
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #814 on: October 09, 2020, 02:40:41 PM »

Honestly, props to her for being so vocal about ranking Gideon number two. Huge FF.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #815 on: October 09, 2020, 02:45:29 PM »

I watched part of the first debate, and Lisa Savage, who is a Green running as Independent, made a very sane impression. Especially compared to other Green Party candidates. She's smart and knows that she's very unlikely to win, but that Gideon has to win for a Democratic majority. With a Republican majority, nothing of her priorities gets passed; with Gideon, at least a better part of it has a realistic shot to be the law of the land.

Savage is likely someone who would be an addition to Democrats in congress to represent the progressive wing. Certainly better than Tlaib and Omar.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #816 on: October 09, 2020, 04:30:18 PM »

LOL, what an entitled, racist piece of sh**t.

Why the reference to Gideon's place of residence? Is Freeport not considered to be real Maine?
Lognog
United States

« Reply #817 on: October 09, 2020, 04:54:19 PM »

Why the reference to Gideon's place of residence? Is Freeport not considered to be real Maine?

Only a campaign that is so well disciplined, funded, and polling strongly would make such a genius attack
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #818 on: October 09, 2020, 05:14:36 PM »

This article is from February, but it's still a revealing expose into Susan Collins' character and background: https://nymag.com/article/2020/02/the-immoderate-susan-collins.html. I almost felt some sympathy for Collins as I read through the first half of the article, but that dissipated quickly. It's clear from this that she's always been a spiteful, duplicitous, and thin-skinned woman who has been far less "independent" then she has claimed to be, and has done nothing to seriously depart from her Party's agenda, particularly in recent years.

And she seems to harbor some prejudices, given that she's now fallen so low as to condemn George Soros-who is a boogeyman of the far right and conspiracy theorists-for spending money against her. Given all of this, and given that Collins had initially pledged to serve only two terms in the Senate (a pledge which she broke over a decade ago), I think it's even clearer that she needs to be shown the door.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #819 on: October 09, 2020, 08:41:52 PM »

This article is from February, but it's still a revealing expose into Susan Collins' character and background: https://nymag.com/article/2020/02/the-immoderate-susan-collins.html. I almost felt some sympathy for Collins as I read through the first half of the article, but that dissipated quickly. It's clear from this that she's always been a spiteful, duplicitous, and thin-skinned woman who has been far less "independent" then she has claimed to be, and has done nothing to seriously depart from her Party's agenda, particularly in recent years.

And she seems to harbor some prejudices, given that she's now fallen so low as to condemn George Soros-who is a boogeyman of the far right and conspiracy theorists-for spending money against her. Given all of this, and given that Collins had initially pledged to serve only two terms in the Senate (a pledge which she broke over a decade ago), I think it's even clearer that she needs to be shown the door.

Thank you for sharing this
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #820 on: October 10, 2020, 11:31:19 AM »

Yes, generally the hicks in the northern part of the state don't consider the southern counties a true part of Maine, despite those counties generating an overwhelming majority of revenue for the state.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #821 on: October 12, 2020, 06:12:14 AM »

The Portland Press Herald endorsed Gideon yesterday.
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #822 on: October 12, 2020, 09:23:48 PM »

Gideon has had the momentum for a while but now I think it's shifted a but in Susan's favor. Bill Green endorsement, Bangor Daily News endorsement, and some solid tv ads. I saw a new one today where Bath Iron Works workers spoke about the money she secured for them. That's exactly the sort of argument she needs to make to win. We'll see if she can keep up the momentum.

I love Gideon's yard sign design by the way. Light blue with dark blue and the Maine outline. So much better than the bland red Collins sign.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #823 on: October 12, 2020, 09:34:28 PM »

ME is a great example of local politics at its best... I’ll be near to see if it puts Susan over the edge though. If it weren’t for McConnel and the senate majority, I could see the argument one could have for voting for her.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #824 on: October 12, 2020, 09:36:36 PM »

ME is a great example of local politics at its best... I’ll be near to see if it puts Susan over the edge though. If it weren’t for McConnel and the senate majority, I could see the argument one could have for voting for her.

What argument would you say there is?
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies