ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:42:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 41
Author Topic: ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet  (Read 76200 times)
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: August 01, 2020, 07:40:08 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy
Roblox

« Reply #601 on: August 01, 2020, 07:52:36 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy

I feel like this is a common occurrence with stories presenting "regular people" supporting republicans.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #602 on: August 01, 2020, 07:52:54 PM »

The GOPers this cycle are all just truly running horrific campaigns. From Collins to Ernst to McSally to Tillis to Perdue...
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #603 on: August 01, 2020, 08:00:04 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy

Pathetic.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #604 on: August 01, 2020, 08:26:34 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2020, 08:38:47 PM by Ogre Mage »

Collins current situation is not comparable to her past races because her approval ratings have plummeted into the upper 30s:

The poll showed a further drop in approval for Republican Sen. Susan Collins since last fall, from 42 percent to 37 percent, while the share of voters who disapproved of her performance climbed to 52 percent, though her approval rating with Republican voters continued to rise. Independent Sen. Angus King remained popular, with 59 percent of voters approving of his performance.
https://bangordailynews.com/2020/04/13/politics/poll-mainers-trust-state-government-more-than-feds-on-coronavirus-response/

She won her previous races with high job approval ratings in the 60s.  But she deservedly no longer has that reputation.

A senator with a 37% approval rating in a state consistently won by the opposing party's presidential candidate is not someone likely to win reelection.  Collins advantage is that she is entrenched but she is still a modest underdog in this race.  The political environment is absolutely terrible for her and she has made some bad, bad moves.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #605 on: August 02, 2020, 10:41:54 AM »

Collins had Specter and Olympia Snowe to help her support Obamacare, they are no longer in the Senate to shield her more conservative voting record like Alito in 2006 v Kavanaugh in 2018.  Snowe and Specter too voted for Alito and he is just as conservative as Kavanaugh.

Also, in 1999 Specter, Jeffords and Snowe along with Collins acquitted Clinton which was more popular than acquitting Trump in impeachment
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #606 on: August 07, 2020, 06:28:19 PM »

This is an interesting interview: https://www.foxnews.com/media/susan-collins-lincoln-project-sexist-attack-ad. Collins is now accusing the "far-left" of launching "sexist" attacks against her-namely, by accusing her of being a stooge for Trump and McConnell. She repeated her line about having never missed a single vote, and emphasized that she was an "independent, bipartisan" Senator, in contrast to Sara Gideon, who she describes as a puppet for Chuck Schumer. She described the recent House proposals for a second coronavirus stimulus as a "Democratic wish-list" and claimed that Democrats would "ram through" unpopular legislation.

It's clear from this interview that Collins was throwing a bone out to the Trumpists and the Republican base, but at the same time, she was still trying to maintain some of her standing with independents. Later in the interview, when asked whether or not she thought Trump deserved a second term, she evaded the question, saying she was "focused on her work" and did not want to tangle herself with presidential politics.

From hearing this interview, I can easily understand why Collins is in such trouble. The woman has lost her mind, and needs to be rejected by her state's voters.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #607 on: August 08, 2020, 12:13:57 AM »

She's spent too long in Washington.  Do people like her have any remaining dignity?  or is her only goal in life to keep getting re-elected to Congress?  Seriously just retire already and enjoy the pretty lakes in Maine.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #608 on: August 08, 2020, 02:23:40 AM »

Collins is really not running a good campaign. She’s clearly a little too used to effortlessly winning in landslides because voters think she’s “moderate” and “independent.” There might be just enough of those voters left for her to scrape by, but her actions don’t suggest that she thinks she’s ahead.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #609 on: August 08, 2020, 06:10:39 AM »

She cant run a winning campaign in this environment,  due to Mcconnell's obstruction of 600 a week unemployment.  Daines, and Collins and Toomey have been missing from debating unemployment benefits

That's why Daines can still lose, he won't show his face
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #610 on: August 11, 2020, 12:28:28 PM »

Collins is just plain and simple running a horrific campaign

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #611 on: August 11, 2020, 12:55:59 PM »

Goddamn that dastardly Jew Schumer having the gall to want to become majority leader.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #612 on: August 11, 2020, 01:01:58 PM »

Remember that Collins is supposed to be a Moderate ™, Reasonable ™, Bipartisan™, independent™ Senator.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #613 on: August 11, 2020, 01:04:54 PM »

Remember that Collins is supposed to be a Moderate ™, Reasonable ™, Bipartisan™, independent™ Senator.

She once was somewhat reasonable, but that times are long over. I don't know whether the mask has just been fallen or whether she acts the way she does in an attempt to have it both ways. In the end, it doesn't make difference. It's time to replace her with a Democrat.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #614 on: August 11, 2020, 01:07:18 PM »

It’s certainly low key dog-whistling, although Omar’s “all about the Benjamins” comment was much worse.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #615 on: August 11, 2020, 02:23:33 PM »

Lisa Murkowski and even Dan Sullivan signed a letter by Democrats for pandemic relief, but not Collins!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #616 on: August 11, 2020, 02:41:32 PM »

VA Republican has vanished since his candidate Collins is losing. He wont debate the fact Collins us in deep trouble. He has it still in his signature that Collins is safe
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #617 on: August 11, 2020, 02:49:47 PM »

I can smell the stench of her desperation all the way down here in N.Y.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #618 on: August 11, 2020, 03:10:29 PM »

It’s certainly low key dog-whistling, although Omar’s “all about the Benjamins” comment was much worse.

Hard to see anything wrong with that comment. It's possible to comment on AIPAC's financial stranglehold on both parties without being anti-Semitic. And frankly we need to stop with allowing conservatives to weaponize anti-Semitic accusations to deflect any criticism of Israel. Squad Derangement Syndrome in action.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #619 on: August 11, 2020, 08:23:37 PM »

Collins is just plain and simple running a horrific campaign

She sounds no different from a Trumpist or Tea Party extremist here.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #620 on: August 17, 2020, 12:00:35 AM »

The SoS took a long time here, but it's now clear no independents except Lisa Savage (a Green member) and Max Linn (an anti-establishment rightwinger) will be on the ballot. No third party candidates will be there, either.

VanHelsing is amongst those who did not ultimately qualify.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #621 on: August 18, 2020, 04:06:40 PM »

Very curious to see the boost Gideon got last night from the DNC
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #622 on: August 19, 2020, 12:55:07 AM »

At the end of the day, I think Collins has worn out her welcome as the "folksy moderate who can reach across the aisle". To win a statewide election in Maine, a Republican will need suburban voters to favor them. And suburban voters are turning away from the GOP in droves. After Kavanaugh and impeachment, I think people simply don't buy that she's a moderate anymore.
MainstreamCon
Rookie

« Reply #623 on: August 19, 2020, 09:50:55 PM »

I have a feeling Collins will put out one more victory.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #624 on: August 19, 2020, 09:58:34 PM »

Even I think this race is tilt-Gideon, and as you all know I held out on moving this race to tossup for the longest time.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies