ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:22:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 41
Author Topic: ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet  (Read 76197 times)
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: July 25, 2019, 04:09:43 PM »

Collins is not going to get a landslide victory as in past races, but it's clear that she still has some of her crossover appeal remaining. Plus she is helped out by the trends of Maine. I think this race starts out as Lean R.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #151 on: July 25, 2019, 10:05:41 PM »

Oooohh, she scared. She knows she's in trouble with her approval numbers plunging and Gideon's fundraising certainly doesn't help either.

“The divisiveness of our country and the unceasing attacks by dark money groups in Maine have clearly had an impact,” Collins said in an interview at the Capitol. “But I believe that once Mainers really focus on the race and we remind them of my being the No. 1 most bipartisan member of the Senate, and all the accomplishments that I can point to that have directly benefited the state, I’ll be fine"

Disclose Act fails to advance in Senate (Sept. 2010)
The vote against invoking cloture was the second failed attempt by the Senate to take up the so-called Disclose Act, written in response to the Supreme Court ruling that allowed unions and corporations to spend unlimited funds on political activities. The House passed a similar bill in June.
Advertisement

In the Senate, the final vote was 59 to 39, short of the 60 votes required. All Democrats voted to support the bill; two Republicans did not vote.

Hoist by her own petard.
JG

« Reply #152 on: July 26, 2019, 06:56:41 AM »

I'm pretty certain McConnell will prevail and gets her to run, the same way Schumer convinced Manchin to run in 2018 even if he wanted to retire.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #153 on: July 26, 2019, 09:23:07 AM »

I'm pretty certain McConnell will prevail and gets her to run, the same way Schumer convinced Manchin to run in 2018 even if he wanted to retire.

I agree. Dems should invest in the race though even if she runs.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #154 on: July 26, 2019, 09:26:04 AM »

I finally convinced my dad to give to Gideon instead of McGrath, yes!
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #155 on: July 26, 2019, 06:02:38 PM »

To this day, I still do not understand why Collins decided to commit the biggest political suicide in recent history by voting for Kavanaugh. She could have fully and completely ensured herself a successful re-election by voting against Kavanaugh, but instead, she decided to fully and completely ensure herself a failed re-election.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #156 on: July 26, 2019, 06:08:37 PM »

With all due respect to your father, has he been the victim of a con job before?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #157 on: July 26, 2019, 06:14:08 PM »

To this day, I still do not understand why Collins decided to commit the biggest political suicide in recent history by voting for Kavanaugh. She could have fully and completely ensured herself a successful re-election by voting against Kavanaugh, but instead, she decided to fully and completely ensure herself a failed re-election.

She did it as a favor to the Bushes, as a sympathetic vote, due to their deaths. Dubya called Collins to shore up her support right before the vote.

But, Trump has made Palin like mistakes throughout this election to endanger more GOPers
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #158 on: July 26, 2019, 06:39:17 PM »

With all due respect to your father, has he been the victim of a con job before?

Actually yes. He’s very smart almost brilliantly so in his profession as a computer engineer (pretty much a total nerd, improved some phone systems, has several patents, retired early etc). But outside of his area of expertise, well, yeah, he can be lacking. IIcrc he might have lost a little money in both the Allen Stanford scam and some Alaskan oil drilling bs.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #159 on: July 26, 2019, 07:54:33 PM »

The old line Republicans supported Kavanaugh. George W. Bush called around making the case for Kavanaugh. Collins is a Republican first and foremost and she saw Kavanaugh as part of her team.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #160 on: July 26, 2019, 11:17:15 PM »

You're not only forgetting that the primary exists, but that the conservatives would've likely taken her down in said primary had she voted against him.
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #161 on: August 01, 2019, 09:28:03 AM »

The Washington Free Beacon has a report that Gideon has been reimbursed for $1,000 and $250  personal contributions in 2015 and 2016 to Emily Cain’s congressional campaign by the Gideon Leadership PAC, a Maine entity.   

Gideon was also reimbursed for $1,000 and $500 contributions to the Federal accounts of the Maine Democrat Party in 2016.

Lock her up.

https://freebeacon.com/politics/collins-challenger-used-pac-to-reimburse-own-contributions/
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #162 on: August 01, 2019, 09:30:27 AM »

The Washington Free Beacon has a report that Gideon has been reimbursed for $1,000 and $250  personal contributions in 2015 and 2016 to Emily Cain’s congressional campaign by the Gideon Leadership PAC, a Maine entity.   

Gideon was also reimbursed for $1,000 and $500 contributions to the Federal accounts of the Maine Democrat Party in 2016.

Lock her up.

https://freebeacon.com/politics/collins-challenger-used-pac-to-reimburse-own-contributions/

Ugh
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #163 on: August 01, 2019, 04:01:58 PM »

...except Collins isn't going to lose re-election. Remember that a relatively high amount of Republicans still disapprove of her (the Morning Consult poll that has her at -3 approval has her at 61-34 approve-disapprove among Republicans), and I imagine the vast majority of Republicans in Maine will vote for her over her Democratic opponent.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #164 on: August 01, 2019, 06:00:28 PM »

...except Collins isn't going to lose re-election. Remember that a relatively high amount of Republicans still disapprove of her (the Morning Consult poll that has her at -3 approval has her at 61-34 approve-disapprove among Republicans), and I imagine the vast majority of Republicans in Maine will vote for her over her Democratic opponent.

Yeah. I think a lot of Democrats are underestimating Collins.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #165 on: August 01, 2019, 07:11:17 PM »

Lock her up.

lol do people actually care about sh**t like this?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #166 on: August 01, 2019, 07:17:52 PM »

Yeah. I think a lot of Democrats are underestimating Collins.

Biden is the one Dem that can decisively beat Trump in OH. If its a wave election, the Senate will flip
Epaminondas

« Reply #167 on: August 01, 2019, 07:37:32 PM »

Counterfactuals are never that straightforward.
Imagine she had opposed him. As the key vote, Manchin would be under phenomenal pressure to refuse Kavanaugh.
The backlack probably loses him his seat in 2018, and the GOP now sits on 54, still without certainty regarding Collins.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #168 on: August 01, 2019, 09:10:46 PM »

Lock her up.

Shoutouts to the Politburo for crowning a corrupt candidate
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #169 on: August 01, 2019, 10:54:01 PM »

Imagine she had opposed him. As the key vote, Manchin would be under phenomenal pressure to refuse Kavanaugh.
The backlack probably loses him his seat in 2018, and the GOP now sits on 54, still without certainty regarding Collins.

Manchin would have won by an additional 4 points beyond his actual margin if he voted against Kavanaugh. It would not have hurt him at all.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #170 on: August 02, 2019, 12:39:34 AM »

Manchin would have won by an additional 4 points beyond his actual margin if he voted against Kavanaugh. It would not have hurt him at all.
Based off what exactly?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #171 on: August 02, 2019, 10:06:10 AM »

Based off what exactly?

Solid's percocet mixing with brandy.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #172 on: August 03, 2019, 01:03:32 PM »

Only partisan voters care that deeply about the Supreme Court appointments. Those appointments don't matter to swing voters who decide the elections.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, I still can't be figuring out what the thread title means it yet. I pointed this out once before and nobody has helped me to figure it out.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #173 on: August 03, 2019, 04:46:07 PM »

Only partisan voters care that deeply about the Supreme Court appointments. Those appointments don't matter to swing voters who decide the elections.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, I still can't be figuring out what the thread title means it yet. I pointed this out once before and nobody has helped me to figure it out.

Nearly everyone regardless of their own partisan ideology, however, would prefer a Supreme Court appointee who was not a serial rapist over a Supreme Court appointee who was a serial rapist, especially when both appointees would inevitably end up being very similar to each other at the ideological level. Susan Collins is on the record as someone who voted that serial rape is acceptable. Voters do care about that, and they will vote her out in 2020 over it.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #174 on: August 03, 2019, 06:34:55 PM »

It's possible the Kavanaugh vote ends up benefiting her politically-she may not have been able to be renominated if she had voted against and been responsible for stopping both Obamacare repeal and the Kavanaugh nomination, and she may have enough of a positive image with moderates and Maine may be close enough to a swing state to make the damage she takes with the general electorate for the Kavanaugh vote survivable. I hope that she is proven wrong here, but Collins probably only needs to outrun Trump by a few points to win.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies