ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:08:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41
Author Topic: ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet  (Read 76027 times)
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: October 16, 2020, 07:59:51 AM »

4D chess move to keep the Senate.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #876 on: October 16, 2020, 09:10:52 AM »

So Mr. Trump is telling his supporters to abandon Collins? If you're going to lose, at least bring the GOP down with you and let a Biden Admin enjoy a trifecta.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #877 on: October 16, 2020, 10:11:51 AM »

So McConnell is triaging Trump, and Trump is triaging Collins? REPS IN DISARRAY!
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #878 on: October 16, 2020, 10:33:11 AM »

A clever ploy to distance himself from Collins and stress how independent she is.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #879 on: October 16, 2020, 10:35:46 AM »

He didn't attack Sasse and he had more reason to attack him.
Trump's moves are very calculated.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #880 on: October 16, 2020, 10:50:39 AM »

4D chess move to keep the Senate.

I'm still laughing at how Collins embarrassed herself earlier this year by claiming that Trump had "learned his lesson" from impeachment. Trump-as he's also demonstrated in the aftermath of his coronavirus diagnosis-is incapable of learning from anything, and is very stubborn. He's also made his contempt for Collins clear many times in the past, and views her (correctly, though for different reasons obviously) as a useful stooge and as weak.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #881 on: October 16, 2020, 02:26:58 PM »

How is it a terrible answer? There would be no Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, or ACB if we had a filibuster.

Im not a fan of the filibuster but I'm also not a fan of a partisan court.
How would reinstating the filibuster for judicial nominees make things less partisan? Also, get with the times, the Supreme Court IS partisan.

Because while someone like Gorsuch could probably get confirmed, judges like Kavanaugh and Barrett would never even sniff a nomination. If the SCOTUS is going to be stuffed with brainless lackeys, there is no reason to even have a Supreme Court.

I wouldn't bring back the filibuster but I don't think that's really on the table.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #882 on: October 16, 2020, 02:27:56 PM »

Don’t these Republican senators ever get tired of this abusive relationship? They debase themselves and suck up to Trump, or at least avoid criticizing him, while he doesn’t think twice about raking them over the coals or throwing them under the bus. I have too much self-respect, pride, shame, honor, dignity, etc. to ever do what they do. It’s cowardly and pathetic.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #883 on: October 16, 2020, 02:31:36 PM »

Don’t these Republican senators ever get tired of this abusive relationship? They debase themselves and suck up to Trump, or at least avoid criticizing him, while he doesn’t think twice about raking them over the coals or throwing them under the bus. I have too much self-respect, pride, shame, honor, dignity, etc. to ever do what they do. It’s cowardly and pathetic.

All they care about is hanging on to their job. Nothing else. They have no principles.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #884 on: October 16, 2020, 03:52:59 PM »

We can joke about this, but I really don't see how any vote on ACB helps Collins:

Yea: she angers Dem/Indy voters who bought her pro-choice Republican schtick
No: she angers loyal Trump voters in the state, blowing up her coalition
Present: she angers literally everyone for sitting on the fence
*skips the vote*: she breaks her perfect voting streak and Gideon hammers her on 'not showing up to represent Maine'.

To the best of my knowledge, ACB is probably good for Graham, but awful for Gardner and Collins. It's like a reverse Heitkamp-Kavanaugh vote, there's just no vote that doesn't seem to make re-election harder.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #885 on: October 16, 2020, 04:21:39 PM »

We can joke about this, but I really don't see how any vote on ACB helps Collins:

*skips the vote*: she breaks her perfect voting streak and Gideon hammers her on 'not showing up to represent Maine'.

To the best of my knowledge, ACB is probably good for Graham, but awful for Gardner and Collins. It's like a reverse Heitkamp-Kavanaugh vote, there's just no vote that doesn't seem to make re-election harder.

Voting NO will help Collins and hurt Jones.
Voting YES will help Graham, Tillis, Ernst, Danes and Perdue.
I don't think there is anything that can help Gardner and McSally.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #886 on: October 16, 2020, 04:22:38 PM »

There's really also nothing that can help Jones.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #887 on: October 16, 2020, 04:53:34 PM »

Maybe with Independents. Show me one GOP voter who'll be more likely to vote for her if she votes no. She needs really good GOP turnout to win this election. She can still get that, but it'll be a heck of a lot harder if Trump spends the next fortnight attacking her.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #888 on: October 18, 2020, 02:10:37 AM »

Both candidates have raised so much money that they are finding it impossible to spend and the people of Maine are getting pissed at how much they are being spammed by ads.

https://bangordailynews.com/2020/10/17/politics/maines-us-senate-race-has-attracted-so-much-money-that-its-hard-to-spend-it/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Maine/comments/jai2mi/can_we_all_agree_political_ads_are_out_of_control/
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #889 on: October 18, 2020, 02:48:23 AM »

Not maine relevant but Doug Jones needs historic turnout from African-Americans, every single liberal vote in Alabama (yes they exist) & all that resistance wine mum cash.

I don't see who the big pool of voters are who will switch their vote to Jones because he supported ACB; like surely high information voters who value conservative judges will be voting for Tuberville anyway?

It's like people who claimed that Jones would lose in 2017 because he was pro-choice.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #890 on: October 18, 2020, 03:33:06 AM »

Trump has of course on several occasions accused Ted Cruz' father of assasinating JFK. Still, Lying Ted sucks up to him anytime he gets the chance.
Of course, Cruz is a guy who would probably sell his children to Somalian pirates without a second thought if it in any way could advance his political ambitions. The other GOP senators might not be quite so bad, but all of them utterly shameless.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #891 on: October 18, 2020, 07:11:35 AM »

Collins only raised like $8M
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #892 on: October 18, 2020, 08:39:55 AM »

That's still more than is useful in Maine.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #893 on: October 18, 2020, 11:16:08 AM »

I'm in Maine and I see Collins ads every time I watch a youtube video, sometimes from non campaign groups. But overall ad advantage in quantity and quality is to Gideon
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #894 on: October 18, 2020, 11:24:19 AM »

Yeah, even though Gideon raised over 3 times as much, it's not like she has 3 times the advantage in ground game; how are you going to burn through that money in ME?
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #895 on: October 18, 2020, 12:05:46 PM »

Yeah, even though Gideon raised over 3 times as much, it's not like she has 3 times the advantage in ground game; how are you going to burn through that money in ME?
Giving out Lobster rolls to every Mainer as part of GOTV effort?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #896 on: October 19, 2020, 09:04:12 AM »

Obama making sure there is no "Collins comeback"

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #897 on: October 24, 2020, 10:57:45 AM »

What is with the lack of polling here. This could very well be the tipping point, we're less than 2 weeks from the election, and the last poll was about 3 weeks ago. This doesn't necessarily mean Susan Collin's position has improved,  but it definately increases uncertainty
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #898 on: October 24, 2020, 11:32:40 AM »

I think polls have done deliberately this, they been polling more MT Gov than Senate polls, but we will get results pretty fast anyways, forget the polls, we know ME is a Dem state and Bullock is more popular than Cooney
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #899 on: October 24, 2020, 11:34:42 AM »

What is with the lack of polling here. This could very well be the tipping point, we're less than 2 weeks from the election, and the last poll was about 3 weeks ago. This doesn't necessarily mean Susan Collin's position has improved,  but it definately increases uncertainty

I agree. We've gotten so many polls of KS, MT, and TX in the last few weeks showing Democrats there are behind. Why can't we get one from ME to get a clearer view on the path to a majority?
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies