ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:07:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 41
Author Topic: ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet  (Read 76153 times)
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: July 29, 2020, 01:06:40 PM »

Collins' campaign is out with a GREAT ad for Sarah Gideon.

That has to be one of the worst attack ads I've ever seen,  Gideon's campaign could play that as an advertisement.

They even positive, happy sounding music

What is this? If Collins thinks that supporting affordable healthcare for Mainers and prioritizing adequate gun control legislation for Mainers is working against Maine, then I don't what her priorities are. Especially considering that many of the things highlighted in the ad are policy objectives that Collins herself has professed to believe in for many years. If anything, her ad has helped expose viewers to many of Gideons' substantive policy positions (positions that a majority of Mainers agree with), which will be a boon to her, not a detriment.

This ad literally just showed Gideon has positions that a majority of Mainers will agree with. It does nothing but help Gideon.

lol Republicans are so bad at this it’s almost sad.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #576 on: July 29, 2020, 01:07:29 PM »

Biden endorses Gideon

Oh no! My opponent has too many good priorities. Isn't it just so unfair and wrong that Gideon gets to run on a platform that the majority of Mainers support?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #577 on: July 29, 2020, 01:16:08 PM »

Well that’s an attack ad we’ll be talking about for years to come.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #578 on: July 29, 2020, 01:19:52 PM »

This attack ad is so terrible, it should be marked down as an in-kind contribution to the Sara Gideon campaign.

The font makes it look like a fast food commercial. 
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #579 on: July 29, 2020, 02:25:09 PM »

OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #580 on: July 29, 2020, 04:20:04 PM »

That was a pro-Gideon ad, you can’t convince me otherwise.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #581 on: July 29, 2020, 06:21:33 PM »

in response to that ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAmsrPHZdTg
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #582 on: July 31, 2020, 12:24:45 AM »

That "attack" ad is absolutely hysterical.  I thought Sara Gideon was becoming the host of a game show in which contestants won Democratic policy priorities as prizes, lol.
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #583 on: July 31, 2020, 02:03:11 PM »

That ad is a mess. This attack ad that I keep seeing is much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwMMIN30VTk

This still remains one of my favorites from Gideon. Simple and effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAWTqc333Ow
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #584 on: July 31, 2020, 04:48:59 PM »

That ad is a mess. This attack ad that I keep seeing is much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwMMIN30VTk

This still remains one of my favorites from Gideon. Simple and effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAWTqc333Ow

What’s your current prediction for this race? (Even if it’s just a "gut feeling", I’m genuinely curious.)
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #585 on: July 31, 2020, 09:31:41 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2020, 09:34:43 PM by GoldenMainer »

What’s your current prediction for this race? (Even if it’s just a "gut feeling", I’m genuinely curious.)

Gut feeling:   Collins- 53 or 54  Gideon- 46 or 47

I think a lot of people underestimate how much of an institution Collins is and how she has done a solid job making herself visible all across the state especially for some of our biggest employers (Bath Iron Works, Portsmouth Naval Shipyard which employs a lot of people in southern Maine). Can she lose? Of course. Do I think much more needs to be done to make that happen? Also yes.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #586 on: July 31, 2020, 09:34:19 PM »

Gut feeling:   Collins- 54

Do you mean Collins down 54%!? Or do you mean Collins wins with 54% of the vote? Or was that a typo and supposed to be Collins -5.4%?
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #587 on: July 31, 2020, 09:38:23 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2020, 09:42:13 PM by GoldenMainer »

Do you mean Collins down 54%!? Or do you mean Collins wins with 54% of the vote? Or was that a typo and supposed to be Collins -5.4%?

Sorry, I clicked send before I finished. It's all updated. I predict a 54-46 Collins race right now. Just a gut feeling. I grew up with blue collar independent friends and family and they are all likely voting for Collins again. They are not persuaded by the Kavanaugh argument. They care about jobs and Collins has done a solid job making herself visible with these blue collar employers throughout the years. I see Gideon doing well along the coast and in the Portland area. I see her struggling in the second district and inland areas of the first.

Mills won in 2018 by under 8% and she was from the second district. She also wasn't facing a 20+ year incumbent. There was also a third-party candidate so Mills only got about 51% in a great year for Dems as a solid candidate. Gideon isn't a better statewide candidate than Mills.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #588 on: July 31, 2020, 09:41:43 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2020, 09:45:25 PM by ProgressiveModerate »

Sorry, I clicked send before I finished. It's all updated. I predict a 54-46 Collins race right now. Just a gut feeling. I grew up with blue collar independent friends and family and they are all likely voting for Collins again. They are not persuaded by the Kavanaugh argument. They care about jobs and Collins has done a solid job making herself visible with these blue collar employers throughout the years. I see Gideon doing well along the coast and in the Portland area. I see herself struggling in the second district and inland areas of the first.

Oh ok, that makes more sense. Thanks for the update on the race in ME. This race has been really difficult for me to pinpoint (I could see anything from like Collins +10 to Gideon +10) but overall I think it's a slight tilt to Gideon (I've always been skeptical about this race though), but you're from Maine so you know better than I. My model says Gideon is roughly a 2/3 favorite to win, but the ME senate race has a very very large range of realistic outcomes according to the model as well, because of all the conflicting factors. Also; who knows how much the national environment will impact this race.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #589 on: July 31, 2020, 09:52:49 PM »

Sorry, I clicked send before I finished. It's all updated. I predict a 54-46 Collins race right now. Just a gut feeling. I grew up with blue collar independent friends and family and they are all likely voting for Collins again. They are not persuaded by the Kavanaugh argument. They care about jobs and Collins has done a solid job making herself visible with these blue collar employers throughout the years. I see Gideon doing well along the coast and in the Portland area. I see her struggling in the second district and inland areas of the first.

Mills won in 2018 by under 8% and she was from the second district. She also wasn't facing a 20+ year incumbent. There was also a third-party candidate so Mills only got about 51% in a great year for Dems as a solid candidate. Gideon isn't a better statewide candidate than Mills.

Thanks a lot. it sounds dumb and I really don’t have much to back this up (it’s mostly gut feeling, and I realize that I could be totally wrong), but I still feel like Collins is being underestimated here and that ME isn’t part of the Democrats' path of least resistance to 50 seats in the Senate. Either way, I feel like this race is going to surprise a lot of people regardless of what happens.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #590 on: August 01, 2020, 06:28:39 AM »

Thanks a lot. it sounds dumb and I really don’t have much to back this up (it’s mostly gut feeling, and I realize that I could be totally wrong), but I still feel like Collins is being underestimated here and that ME isn’t part of the Democrats' path of least resistance to 50 seats in the Senate. Either way, I feel like this race is going to surprise a lot of people regardless of what happens.

I feel like she has more pathways to victory, especially since RCV encourages running to the center, but if she continue down her current trajectory, she won't win unless the GOP is doing decent nationally. I would personally advise her to distance herself from Trump because she may be able to get more crossover appeal, and the Trump supporters who aren't huge fans of her will still put her before Gideon.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #591 on: August 01, 2020, 09:28:25 AM »

this is some Martha McSally realness

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #592 on: August 01, 2020, 12:50:16 PM »

I find the argument that Collins is the favorite because of her past landslides unconvincing.
Mark Pryor won a second term unopposed in 2008 and just six years later he lost by 20. Maine isn't Arkansas but then again a loss is a loss, whether by 1, 5, or 10 points.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #593 on: August 01, 2020, 01:35:02 PM »

2014, Collins along with Snowe and Specter voted for Obamacare, that's why Collins won
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #594 on: August 01, 2020, 02:28:03 PM »

I find the argument that Collins is the favorite because of her past landslides unconvincing.
Mark Pryor won a second term unopposed in 2008 and just six years later he lost by 20. Maine isn't Arkansas but then again a loss is a loss, whether by 1, 5, or 10 points.

But you’re forgetting that Democrats won every statewide race in Arkansas in 2006, a year similar to ‘08. And that they lost every statewide race in 2014. The thing is, Pryor lost because his state changed. And there’s nothing he could do about it.

Susan Collins, on the other hand, defied a blue wave to win by 23 points. Maine hasn’t become significantly more Democratic/less Republican since 2014/2016, so I think your counter argument is... unconvincing.

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #595 on: August 01, 2020, 02:51:46 PM »

But you’re forgetting that Democrats won every statewide race in Arkansas in 2006, a year similar to ‘08. And that they lost every statewide race in 2014. The thing is, Pryor lost because his state changed. And there’s nothing he could do about it.

Susan Collins, on the other hand, defied a blue wave to win by 23 points. Maine hasn’t become significantly more Democratic/less Republican since 2014/2016, so I think your counter argument is... unconvincing.

Wasn't purely because his state changed. Some of it was increased levels of partisanship nationally. He literally won unopposed by an R in 2008, and won with liek 80% of the vote, and then lost by 10%, taht's not AR trending R as much as it is partisanship.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #596 on: August 01, 2020, 03:27:28 PM »

We might as well be talking about a different world comparing 2008 and 2020. Back then ticket-splitting was still prevalent in many states. Not it's almost dead. If Biden wins Maine by double digits then I wouldn't bet my rent money that there will be little more than a handful of Biden-Collins voters.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #597 on: August 01, 2020, 03:36:39 PM »

We might as well be talking about a different world comparing 2008 and 2020. Back then ticket-splitting was still prevalent in many states. Not it's almost dead. If Biden wins Maine by double digits then I wouldn't bet my rent money that there will be little more than a handful of Biden-Collins voters.

While I think Collins is the underdog here, there's no way Biden wins Maine by double digits.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #598 on: August 01, 2020, 03:48:07 PM »

In a state which Hillary Clinton won with 47 percent? Yeah, no. Biden may take those Gary Johnson voters for granted, but Gideon shouldn’t.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #599 on: August 01, 2020, 04:03:22 PM »

While I think Collins is the underdog here, there's no way Biden wins Maine by double digits.

That's what the few polls we had show.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies