ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:46:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 41
Author Topic: ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet  (Read 76113 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: July 11, 2020, 10:51:21 AM »

I don't get it. Are you criticizing Gideon for not running an ad about something that happened 12 hours ago?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #526 on: July 11, 2020, 10:53:06 AM »
« Edited: July 11, 2020, 10:58:50 AM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

The ads really just write themselves.

The ads write themselves but are never used. Instead she accuses Collins of pocketing money from pharmaceutical companies and intentionally including a loophole in the PPP that benefits hotels. Then her husband, who’s a lawyer, is revealed to have benefited from PPP money. Oh, and she feels the need to respond to a stupid NRSC attack ad, prompting the NRSC to use her ad to make another.

IMO it's smarter to attack on healthcare than Roger Stone/impeachment.

It isn’t smarter if it doesn’t work. I guess that’s why she’s leading someone with a -20 approval rating by just 4 points despite outspending that person 2-to-1 since March.

Collins is disapproved of by a lot of Republicans who will still come home for her on an RCV ballot (some of those might have been peeled off by a certain kind of populist campaign, but Roger Stone is hardly the angle to push there). Gideon not campaigning effectively on healthcare (I'm not sure the PPP attack was wise, FWIW) does not mean pushing on economic issues wasn't her best strategy (this can still be tied into Republican overreach that Collins failed to stop). In any case, hasn't she advertised a fair bit on the basis of the Supreme Court justices/abortions? I'm not sure that is wise, either: it seems like less of a winning issue for Democrats even in a pro-choice state like Maine and most voters should be aware of Collins' Kavanaugh vote now.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #527 on: July 11, 2020, 11:03:21 AM »
« Edited: July 11, 2020, 11:20:27 AM by From Prussia With Love »

They really do write themselves, this took 2 minutes and three seconds:

Lessons:

"[insert clip of Collins saying Trump learned his lesson]. For once, Susan Collins was right.  Donald Trump learned his lesson: That the days when 'country before party' still meant something to Susan Collins are long gone.  Instead, Susan Collins voted to keep President Trump in office even after he was impeached for multiple crimes, despite bipartisan support in the Senate for his conviction.  When the time came to defend a woman's right to choose, Susan Collins voted to confirm Trump's radical anti-choice judges and turned her back on #MeToo survivors like Dr. Blaisey-Ford by voting to put Brett Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court.

Now with unemployment soaring and COVID-19 ravaging our nation, Susan Collins is still standing with Donald Trump, even as he continues to defend Confederate traitors while tear-gassing Americans peacefully protesting police brutality. [insert clip of Collins saying Trump learned his lesson].  This November, let's show Donald Trump that he wasn't the only one who learned their lesson when Susan Collins voted to keep him in office."
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #528 on: July 11, 2020, 11:05:32 AM »

The ads write themselves but are never used. Instead she accuses Collins of pocketing money from pharmaceutical companies and intentionally including a loophole in the PPP that benefits hotels. Then her husband, who’s a lawyer, is revealed to have benefited from PPP money. Oh, and she feels the need to respond to a stupid NRSC attack ad, prompting the NRSC to use her ad to make another.

I mean, Collins is a federal lawmaker who was involved in creating the PPP legislation. Gideon is the Speaker of the Maine State House. I don't see how her husband taking PPP money is relevant.

Well, I agree, it isn’t relevant. I included that because I recently learned it.

Susan Collins isn’t seen as evil in Maine. They may think she’s spineless, a fake moderate, or McConnell’s puppet, but they don’t think she’s corrupt, or that money changed her.
Just like African-Americans ‘know Joe’, Mainers know Susan.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #529 on: July 11, 2020, 11:09:14 AM »

I don't get it. Are you criticizing Gideon for not running an ad about something that happened 12 hours ago?

No.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #530 on: July 14, 2020, 10:38:38 AM »

Bumping in anticipation for tonight. Assuming an easy Gideon victory for the primary.
W
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -8.61

« Reply #531 on: July 14, 2020, 08:14:39 PM »

DDHQ has called for Gideon. Early but given the numbers unsurprising.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #532 on: July 14, 2020, 08:17:43 PM »

Now Gideon takes 4 more million that have been earmarked for this race.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #533 on: July 14, 2020, 08:18:39 PM »

Susan Collins ought to be Very Concerned.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #534 on: July 15, 2020, 08:28:19 AM »

The audacity of this statement. Collins needs to not just lose but lose in a LANDSLIDE!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #535 on: July 15, 2020, 10:29:06 AM »

AZ, CO and ME, for the Rs and AL for Ds are DOA. IA, NC and GA are the last states for the majority
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #536 on: July 15, 2020, 11:52:05 AM »

Formal request to change the title of this thread:

The Maine Event: You’ve Gotta Be Gideon ME
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #537 on: July 15, 2020, 12:11:01 PM »

The audacity of this statement. Collins needs to not just lose but lose in a LANDSLIDE!

“Buy her vote” LMAO. Nope, that’s called punishing her for voting against the people’s will.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #538 on: July 15, 2020, 12:39:35 PM »

Collins says today that she wants 16 debates, one in each county.

The only logical conclusion from this statement is that Collins is down in her internals.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #539 on: July 15, 2020, 12:48:17 PM »

The only logical conclusion from this statement is that Collins is down in her internals.

I bet she does Tongue
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #540 on: July 15, 2020, 12:55:59 PM »

https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/news/politics/lets-debate-tonight-collins-responds-to-gideons-call-for-debates/97-359e2c22-b5c4-4bb1-bed7-0ff638b5db4e

You didn’t give the full picture. After winning her primary, Gideon challenged her to 5 debates, and Collins said she could do 16.

Maybe Gideon is down in her internals?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #541 on: July 15, 2020, 01:12:27 PM »

https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/news/politics/lets-debate-tonight-collins-responds-to-gideons-call-for-debates/97-359e2c22-b5c4-4bb1-bed7-0ff638b5db4e

You didn’t give the full picture. After winning her primary, Gideon challenged her to 5 debates, and Collins said she could do 16.

5 is a lot different than 16. If Collins isn't down in her internals then the only other explanation is that she has taken leave of her senses. 16 debates is insane.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #542 on: July 15, 2020, 01:32:56 PM »

5 is a lot different than 16. If Collins isn't down in her internals then the only other explanation is that she has taken leave of her senses. 16 debates is insane.

Neither, but the latter is actually more likely. Atlas mocked Ernst (and Trump) for asking for more debates. Gideon has done the same, and Collins said she could do more than that (knowing it was also a cheap ploy to make her seem out of touch). Also, we have seen 2 Collins internals that showed her up 1 and 8 points (the first was conducted by the Tarrance Group which is pretty accurate).

Let me ask you this though, do you think Gideon is down in her internals? If she has enough cash to boost her name recognition in the state, why is she calling for more debates? Is she looking for another, “The president has learned a pretty big lesson” moment? Can’t she beat an already unpopular Susan Collins without attacking her?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #543 on: July 15, 2020, 01:42:34 PM »

Neither, but the latter is actually more likely. Atlas mocked Ernst (and Trump) for asking for more debates. Gideon has done the same, and Collins said she could do more than that (knowing it was also a cheap ploy to make her seem out of touch). Also, we have seen 2 Collins internals that showed her up 1 and 8 points (the first was conducted by the Tarrance Group which is pretty accurate).

Let me ask you this though, do you think Gideon is down in her internals? If she has enough cash to boost her name recognition in the state, why is she calling for more debates? Is she looking for another, “The president has learned a pretty big lesson” moment? Can’t she beat an already unpopular Susan Collins without attacking her?

A challenger is going to ask for debates, but a supposedly safe incumbent usually doesn't. Gideon would want to raise her profile some with debates, whereas Collins is probably the one looking to create some sort of gotcha moment with Gideon. The difference between 5 and 16 is quite large. It's pretty crazy to even suggest 16 debates.

When internals are high on undecideds and tend to push the challenger below 40% while public polling shows otherwise then it's probably a poor internal.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #544 on: July 15, 2020, 01:52:36 PM »

A challenger is going to ask for debates, but a supposedly safe incumbent usually doesn't. Gideon would want to raise her profile some with debates, whereas Collins is probably the one looking to create some sort of gotcha moment with Gideon. The difference between 5 and 16 is quite large. It's pretty crazy to even suggest 16 debates.

When internals are high on undecideds and tend to push the challenger below 40% while public polling shows otherwise then it's probably a poor internal.

These are my thoughts as well. Mind you, the question of debates is not just a GOP thing, it is a well understood tactic utilized by both parties. This is why we mock those that ask for a superfluous number of debates, because it comes off as desperate and shows weakness. It doesn't matter whether this is a primary or a general election. Weirdly, there is less scorn for those at the other end of the spectrum who are far enough ahead that they can duck debates, like Tuberville did in his primary.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #545 on: July 15, 2020, 01:54:08 PM »

LOL at these Republican senators who bitch and whine about their Democratic opponents raising insane amounts of money.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #546 on: July 15, 2020, 02:37:36 PM »

Well, she’s the first major challenger this cycle to ask for 3+ debates. Harrison asked for 4, but he’s quite unknown in SC. Greenfield, Ossoff, Bullock, and Cunningham were fine with 3 debates, despite 3/4 of them having much less name rec than Gideon. Even McGrath hasn’t asked for more. And I think Gideon’s done perfectly fine raising her name recognition. She’s done so well (for us) that her favorability rating is literally 37/37, which is kinda bad for a challenger (she’s so lucky her opponent is more unpopular). Also, I don’t think Collins needs 16 debates to get that gotcha moment.

16 debates is crazy. But we don’t know if she’s serious. In my theory, she became ‘disappointed’ with the question (and its original source), and tried to sound smart by challenging her to a debate in every one of Maine’s 16 counties. Think about it, and I bet you’ll agree with me.

The first internal had Collins leading 48/47 (conducted by the polling firm that had Stabenow and Manchin up 7 and 4, respectively). The second is more fishy, but +8 is a pretty big lead (take off 6 points and it’s Collins +2). The only Gideon internal (+9) we got was “conducted” by an Illinois billboard/self-storage company.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #547 on: July 15, 2020, 03:12:02 PM »

Gideon asking for 5 debates and Collins asking for 16 are nowhere near the same thing and anyone trying to act like they are the same is being disingenuous
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #548 on: July 15, 2020, 10:46:24 PM »

The HRC has endorsed Gideon, after having supported Collins for reelection several times in the past:

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #549 on: July 16, 2020, 01:43:18 AM »

The HRC has endorsed Gideon, after having supported Collins for reelection several times in the past:

Good. Enough with this bipartisan BS.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies