ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:08:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 41
Author Topic: ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet  (Read 76080 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: February 13, 2020, 03:39:17 PM »

Hope this isn’t too #bold of me to say, but Susan Collins could very well be the Barbara Comstock of this cycle.

I don't think she will be, but it would be a good thing if she is. Collins has displayed little backbone, and has refused to break from the party line when it really counts.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #301 on: February 13, 2020, 03:50:06 PM »

Hope this isn’t too #bold of me to say, but Susan Collins could very well be the Barbara Comstock of this cycle.

I don't think she will be, but it would be a good thing if she is. Collins has displayed little backbone, and has refused to break from the party line when it really counts.

Straight up Comstock 2.0 lol
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #302 on: February 13, 2020, 04:41:44 PM »

She will have enough crossovers. And Trump might win Maine after all.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #303 on: February 13, 2020, 05:45:30 PM »

Hot take here, but I don’t think Northern Virginia and Maine are really comparable.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #304 on: February 13, 2020, 06:00:57 PM »

Straight up Comstock 2.0 lol

What I meant is that Collins will not lose by 12% like Comstock did. Maine has trended to the right in recent years-which is also why I still believe Collins will win by a Manchin or Tester-esque margin this year. But you are correct when you say that Collins, like Comstock, has stuck with the Administration on matters of critical importance.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #305 on: February 13, 2020, 06:49:06 PM »

Friendly reminder that the last three public polls of this race have shown Collins leading Gideon 51%-29%, 52%-36%, and 52%-35%, respectively. Yes, that was in March, June, and July 2019, i.e. before impeachment, but it was also after her Kavanaugh vote.

It’s one thing to argue that Collins is vulnerable and that she could actually lose this time but quite another to say that she’s DOA, as doomed as Barbara Comstock, could actually underperform Trump, etc. Reading this forum you’d think Collins was running in Hawaiʻi and trailing badly in every single poll.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #306 on: February 13, 2020, 07:00:05 PM »

Hot take here, but I don’t think Northern Virginia and Maine are really comparable.

This is Atlas, dude

R trends will reverse while D trends will continue forever
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #307 on: February 13, 2020, 07:02:25 PM »

Really, you should change your party profile
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #308 on: February 13, 2020, 07:54:10 PM »

Really, you should change your party profile

I've never been a Republican, and it's a long and complicated story as to why I adopted this avatar, as I've explained elsewhere.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #309 on: February 13, 2020, 08:05:03 PM »

Friendly reminder that the last three public polls of this race have shown Collins leading Gideon 51%-29%, 52%-36%, and 52%-35%, respectively. Yes, that was in March, June, and July 2019, i.e. before impeachment, but it was also after her Kavanaugh vote.

It’s one thing to argue that Collins is vulnerable and that she could actually lose this time but quite another to say that she’s DOA, as doomed as Barbara Comstock, could actually underperform Trump, etc. Reading this forum you’d think Collins was running in Hawaiʻi and trailing badly in every single poll.

This, a million times over.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #310 on: February 13, 2020, 09:08:46 PM »

As I've said before, these numbers are startlingly similar to those which we saw in polls between Joe Manchin and Patrick Morrisey. And they accord with my final expectation-that Collins wins reelection by around 2-5%, probably 52-48%, 51-47%, or something similar.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #311 on: February 13, 2020, 09:38:53 PM »

I expect Collins to lose
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #312 on: February 17, 2020, 02:19:20 AM »

Thread: "I can't really be Collins it yet"
Atlas: hold my beer
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #313 on: February 17, 2020, 04:09:19 PM »

As I've said before, these numbers are startlingly similar to those which we saw in polls between Joe Manchin and Patrick Morrisey. And they accord with my final expectation-that Collins wins reelection by around 2-5%, probably 52-48%, 51-47%, or something similar.

I think you could be right about the margin, but the raw numbers will most likely be different. Maine traditionally has third party candidates doing much better; so a Collins win would probably more look like 49-44% or 47-45%, or if she loses, 48-47%.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #314 on: February 17, 2020, 04:11:31 PM »

The difference is Manchin voted for Kavanaugh , and if he didn’t he would have lost
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #315 on: February 17, 2020, 04:15:50 PM »

I think you could be right about the margin, but the raw numbers will most likely be different. Maine traditionally has third party candidates doing much better; so a Collins win would probably more look like 49-44% or 47-45%, or if she loses, 48-47%.

Maine now uses IRV.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #316 on: February 17, 2020, 05:25:44 PM »

The difference is Manchin voted for Kavanaugh , and if he didn’t he would have lost

Also add on the fact that the GOP put West Virginia on the back burner in favor of more immediate targets. The Dems consider Maine a top target and the race looks to be the states most expensive ever.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #317 on: February 17, 2020, 08:00:31 PM »

I'm well aware of that, but what I am telling you is that Collins is as vulnerable as Manchin was last cycle. And she will win by a similar margin as him.

Also add on the fact that the GOP put West Virginia on the back burner in favor of more immediate targets. The Dems consider Maine a top target and the race looks to be the states most expensive ever.

This much is true, but it doesn't change the fundamental dynamic which I've been trying to highlight: that Collins, like Manchin, will go from a landslide win in her last election to a narrow victory this time, if she prevails.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #318 on: March 08, 2020, 11:09:32 PM »

I've been wondering: is it inevitable that Gideon is going to win the Democratic primary? There are others running too, and still more who have expressed an interest in running.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #319 on: March 13, 2020, 07:21:26 AM »

Heir of Camelot
heirofCamelot
United States

« Reply #320 on: March 13, 2020, 11:09:10 AM »

Her opponent needs to use this as an attack ad when everyone in Maine is stuck in their homes watching TV.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #321 on: March 15, 2020, 02:55:17 PM »

She will have enough crossovers. And Trump might win Maine after all.

Gideon is a top tier candidate; she's Speaker of the ME House.  Collins has been remarkably partisan in ways that matter.  She's benefited over the years from being seen as similar to Olympia Snowe, who was a moderately liberal Republican.  She's not Snowe.  And it's showing now.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #322 on: March 16, 2020, 10:47:50 AM »

Snowe was the saving grace for Collins. Ernst and SMC have pulled Collins into a conservative now, with votes on Kavanaugh and tax cut and on acquittal of Trump. She cant win as a conservative
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #323 on: March 19, 2020, 08:04:40 PM »

Maine is the weirdest state in the country
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #324 on: March 22, 2020, 09:39:10 PM »

Maine is the weirdest state in the country