ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:53:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 41
Author Topic: ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet  (Read 76283 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: February 03, 2020, 02:09:46 PM »

Who is bribing Senator Collins?

Susan Collins’ Campaign Is Being Helped by a Mysterious Hawaii Company
The company, Society of Young Women Scientist and Engineers LLC, was formed in late November, according to corporate records in Hawaii. Just over a month later, on December 31, the company donated $150,000 to 1820 PAC, a deep-pocketed super PAC with ties to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce that was created to help reelect Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME).

There is scant public information about the company. It does not appear to have a website or any social media presence. Its listed address is a P.O. box in Honolulu (listed as a “unit” number in 1820’s FEC filings). Google searches turn up no information on the company. And there’s no record of prior political involvement by its sole officer, Jennifer Lam.

All of that suggests that the Society of Young Women Scientist and Engineers was set up for the sole purpose of making political contributions, according to the Campaign Legal Center, which filed a complaint on Monday asking the Federal Election Commission to investigate its December contribution to 1820 PAC, which was named after the year Maine was founded.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #251 on: February 03, 2020, 02:33:11 PM »

Collins is done on impeachment
Yoda
United States

« Reply #252 on: February 03, 2020, 03:26:20 PM »

The more I think about it, I believe her disingenuous vote to hear witnesses that she knew was going to fail combined with her certain vote to acquit Trump will destroy her. Seems like she's trying to have it both ways by pretending to want to hear new evidence and witnesses but she has already made up her mind to march in lockstep with Senate republicans on the final vote. I really don't see that working out for her, especially as new evidence drips out from now until election day.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #253 on: February 05, 2020, 12:48:33 PM »

IMO Collins is probably screwed this year. She's systematically ruined the crossover vote that keeps getting her reelected by voting in a blatantly partisan manner.

Collins = Trump is a way more plausible argument than it would've been two years ago.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #254 on: February 05, 2020, 12:58:30 PM »

IMO Collins is probably screwed this year. She's systematically ruined the crossover vote that keeps getting her reelected by voting in a blatantly partisan manner.

Collins = Trump is a way more plausible argument than it would've been two years ago.

The tax cuts + Kavanaugh + impeachment could be a combination that proves to be her undoing. It's very difficult for me to see Collins running that much ahead of Trump now. I still think she is favored, as things stand now, but if she wins, it will be with a close margin.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #255 on: February 05, 2020, 01:33:25 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2020, 01:37:17 PM by pppolitics »

The tax cuts + Kavanaugh + impeachment could be a combination that proves to be her undoing. It's very difficult for me to see Collins running that much ahead of Trump now. I still think she is favored, as things stand now, but if she wins, it will be with a close margin.

Explain to me why you think Collins is still favored.

Since Maine has more Democrats than Republicans (and she has obviously alienated the former), she's going  to need independents to break her way.

So why would independents break for Collins who just voted to acquit a president who, by Collins's own admission, did something that was wrong?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #256 on: February 05, 2020, 01:40:59 PM »

Since Maine has more Democrats than Republicans (and she has obviously alienated the former), she's going  to need independents to break her way.

So why would independents break for Collins who just voted to acquit a president who, by Collins's own admission, did something that was wrong?

Maine has trended to the right, even though it is still a Democratic-leaning state, and Collins will not need to run substantially ahead of Trump to win reelection-and of course, I don't think she will. To say nothing of the fact that Gideon isn't the strongest opponent, and candidate quality, even in this age of increased polarization, still does matter. Just look at Patrick Morrisey, Jim Renacci, and Matt Rosendale, for examples of this. However, I have also said before that Collins could very well suffer the fate of Margaret Chase-Smith, and such a fate is now much more likely because of her vote on impeachment.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #257 on: February 05, 2020, 01:42:34 PM »

Maine has trended to the right, even though it is still a Democratic-leaning state, and Collins will not need to run substantially ahead of Trump to win reelection-and of course, I don't think she will. To say nothing of the fact that Gideon isn't the strongest opponent, and candidate quality, even in this age of increased polarization, still does matter. Just look at Patrick Morrisey, Jim Renacci, and Matt Rosendale, for examples of this. However, I have also said before that Collins could very well suffer the fate of Margaret Chase-Smith, and such a fate is now much more likely because of her vote on impeachment.

Please answer the second question:

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #258 on: February 05, 2020, 01:49:32 PM »

That is a good question, and I'll be honest and say that I don't have an answer for it. But it would be a miscalculation for Democrats to assume that they will be handed Collins' seat on a silver platter. Impeachment alone isn't going to do it. They must also highlight Kavanaugh and the tax cuts, and construct a narrative of how Collins has consistently aided and abetted Trump since he took office.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #259 on: February 05, 2020, 01:52:44 PM »

That is a good question, and I'll be honest and say that I don't have an answer for it. But it would be a miscalculation for Democrats to assume that they will be handed Collins' seat on a silver platter. Impeachment alone isn't going to do it. They must also highlight Kavanaugh and the tax cuts, and construct a narrative of how Collins has consistently aided and abetted Trump since he took office.

I am not saying that it's going to be a slam-dunk, but I disagree with the general narrative that Collins is still favored.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #260 on: February 05, 2020, 04:37:59 PM »

Likely D AZ, CO, KS, ME and NC
Tilt R but competetive AK, TX, KY GA 1 and 2, SC IA
Everything else is safe
Wildcard is AL, Dems are set to take Senate majority
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #261 on: February 05, 2020, 05:10:29 PM »

-Maine is a relatively small state where retails politics and a good constituency service can help you at getting the support of some voters who rarely back your party
-the incumbecy bonus which is still worth 3 to 4 points
-some people who don't like Trump don't necessarily want to see him impeached
-some people are not voting on the impeachment issue and care more about local issues or more serious stuff
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #262 on: February 05, 2020, 05:26:20 PM »

-Maine is a relatively small state where retails politics and a good constituency service can help you at getting the support of some voters who rarely back your party
-some people are not voting on the impeachment issue and care more about local issues or more serious stuff

- Retail politics can be used by her opponent as well. Good constituent services don't always save politicians. There have been people who have done everything right and still lost. She's lost much of her Democratic support in polling.
- Incumbency is a double edged sword in this case because Collins' record is being used against her.
- But those same people still might vote against him and Collins on reasons other than impeachment.
- Local issues are handled by local councils and such. Susan Collins has no ability to fix potholes.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #263 on: February 05, 2020, 06:06:36 PM »

- Retail politics can be used by her opponent as well. Good constituent services don't always save politicians. There have been people who have done everything right and still lost. She's lost much of her Democratic support in polling.
- Incumbency is a double edged sword in this case because Collins' record is being used against her.
- But those same people still might vote against him and Collins on reasons other than impeachment.
- Local issues are handled by local councils and such. Susan Collins has no ability to fix potholes.

-I'm not saying it will necessarily save her and let's be clear this race is Tilt R at the best and Collins is clearly vulnerable. The point is that a good constituent service can help you marginally and in a close race it can be the difference between a loss and a win, Trump will likely win lose Maine but if he loses it by a small margin (less than -5 points), Collins could find enough non Trump voters to push her across the finish line, and contrary to what you're saying there are still around 1/5 of the dem electorate which approve Collins
-statistically incumbency still helps you more than it hurts you
-sure, but at least impeachment won't hurt Collins among these voters
-no sure, but Collins is still pretty good at bringing beacon home
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #264 on: February 05, 2020, 09:20:34 PM »

Tilt R
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #265 on: February 05, 2020, 10:08:59 PM »

I am not saying that it's going to be a slam-dunk, but I disagree with the general narrative that Collins is still favored.

There is one other thing though, to be considered. Just like Mitt Romney did today, Jared Golden voted to impeach Trump for abuse of power, but not for obstruction of Congress. That might give Collins some cover on the campaign trail, as she can try to claim that even some Democrats weren't completely convinced by the case. But my suspicion is that such a strategy will not work, especially since Golden represents ME-02, which Collins will carry regardless of if she wins or loses, and which she will need to win overall, since she's not going to win ME-01 this time around.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #266 on: February 06, 2020, 01:28:11 AM »

Collins' hilariously stupid, tortured claim that trump has learned from his impeachment - and the logical insinuation that he will therefore change his behavior going forward - is really going to bite her as he continues to act in the same manner, or worse, from now until election day. He's already made a fool out of her by telling a reporter who asked him about Collin's quote that he did nothing wrong and the call was perfect. What an absolute idiot.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #267 on: February 06, 2020, 05:30:40 AM »

Collins reasoning doesn't square with how the law works, criminals should be let off and even OJ, due to learning their lesson.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #268 on: February 06, 2020, 10:06:25 AM »

Congratulations to Senator Gideon!
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #269 on: February 06, 2020, 10:48:51 AM »

Congratulations to Senator Gideon!

I think it's premature to call this race yet.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #270 on: February 06, 2020, 10:55:10 AM »

Dems do have alternative paths to winning the Senate, let's all remember that AZ is not a blue state just yet and McSally is within the margin of error. It's too early to call AZ yet as well that's why www.electionprojection.com has AZ as still favored towards McSally
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #271 on: February 06, 2020, 12:51:22 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2020, 12:56:47 PM by pppolitics »

The ads are practically writing themselves.

https://youtu.be/ARP9m7-PzJU?t=440

Susan Collins Admits Trump May Not Have Learned His ‘Lesson’

One day after Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) announced her decision to vote against removing President Trump from office by saying that she believes he has learned his “lesson” and will be “much more cautious in the future,” she admitted on Fox News that her assumption was based on nothing. Asked by Fox anchor Martha MacCallum if Trump gave her any “assurance” that he would not accept (or solicit) foreign help in his next election, Collins said she has not spoken to him once throughout the Senate trial, which ended in the president’s acquittal Wednesday afternoon.

“So why do you have that feeling that he has changed, that he learned a lesson?” MacCallum asked. Collins smiled broadly as she replied, “Well, I may not be correct on that. It’s more aspirational on my part, it’s more that I hope that he’s listened to the many voices in the Senate who have pointed out that the call was very problematic.” President Trump has never admitted that his phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was anything less than “perfect.”
Yoda
United States

« Reply #272 on: February 06, 2020, 04:00:53 PM »

The ads are practically writing themselves.

https://youtu.be/ARP9m7-PzJU?t=440

Susan Collins Admits Trump May Not Have Learned His ‘Lesson’

One day after Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) announced her decision to vote against removing President Trump from office by saying that she believes he has learned his “lesson” and will be “much more cautious in the future,” she admitted on Fox News that her assumption was based on nothing. Asked by Fox anchor Martha MacCallum if Trump gave her any “assurance” that he would not accept (or solicit) foreign help in his next election, Collins said she has not spoken to him once throughout the Senate trial, which ended in the president’s acquittal Wednesday afternoon.

“So why do you have that feeling that he has changed, that he learned a lesson?” MacCallum asked. Collins smiled broadly as she replied, “Well, I may not be correct on that. It’s more aspirational on my part, it’s more that I hope that he’s listened to the many voices in the Senate who have pointed out that the call was very problematic.” President Trump has never admitted that his phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was anything less than “perfect.”

Ass clown. Should be a law against being this naive (or full of sh**t) and being in the US Senate.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #273 on: February 06, 2020, 04:45:07 PM »

We’re way past due on a quality poll coming out of here in an actual Collins vs. Gideon matchup. All we seem to know is that Collins is unpopular as it is, but not the extent of it.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #274 on: February 06, 2020, 09:26:30 PM »

We’re way past due on a quality poll coming out of here in an actual Collins vs. Gideon matchup. All we seem to know is that Collins is unpopular as it is, but not the extent of it.

I suspect that all the dedicated New England pollsters are zeroed in on NH right now, we'll probably see some in the month after the primary. What's more inexcusable is the lack of GA and CO head to head polls.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies